Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!

17 hours ago, Gambit said:

Is it possible to change jobs without going to Hello Work all the time? 

I don't think so, unless there's something I haven't found...

Meanwhile:

On 17/11/2020 at 22:30, Qazimod said:

I’m currently at Chapter 7 and thought I was done exploring the Yokohama Underground but then ran into a beast of an encounter when I was back on floor B1...

Hide contents

A "Giant Cleaning Machine" - a level 40 Seiso Shogun. My guys are between level 24 and 27 so needless to say it absolutely wrecked me. I may have an earlier save where I’m not trapped underground but it would mean losing a bunch of my levelling progress...

I finally beat this encounter whilst milling around in Chapter 12 :lol: My party is now Lv 34-37 so it was a much fairer battle...

15 hours ago, scissorkicks said:

Best thing about the Idol job is that some of the attacks "charm" enemies so they don't attack anyone.

Yeah, this cannot be overstated enough - Idol's Lovedrunk Typhoon at Rank 12 is absolutely absurd. use about 20MP to debuff defences, and a chance to charm - on all enemies.

considering the amount of times you get thrown into 5+ mob fights, it's amazing value as a fight starter. Do Lovedrunk Typhoon, smack the shit out of anyone that's not charmed first, and then work your way through the charmed enemies without being overly concerned about Ichiban getting slapped to 0 HP by seven dudes at once.

At the moment, the biggest grievance I have in my party is Ichiban himself - I've got him as Bodyguard, and I have absolutely no idea what to do with him half the time - All his attacks are single target, all do naff damage and half of the attacks don't even work on bosses because of the animations. Compared to Enforcer's absurd Paralysis Prongs attack and Hitman's Sniper Shot (I wouldn't look up that job, as it's linked to a later party member if you care about that), it's genuine wet paper bag territory. I should just switch back to Hero, TBH.

Up to Chapter 10 - now I've gotten over the biggest technical humps of enjoying the game on PC (namely capping it at 100fps instead of 120fps or Unlimited because otherwise the cooling goes apeshit), I'm starting to enjoy the game again.

I also finally started crafting and upgrading everyone's gear after literally doing nothing but the main story and just picking up whatever I find on the way, and it's made going through the bigger fights a lot smoother than previous chapters. I'm hoping I can get to a point where I can just sit down and do sidestories - the game goes at a breakneck pace compared to Yakuza 0, and unlike 0 it doesn't exactly throw sidestories at you when you visit every road. Something I do sort of miss, in a way. I'd rather have that than another fucking random pack of gangsters I have to run around.

Yeah I was trying out "Night Mistress" for Saeko, but I think I'm going to switch back to Idol. Similarly, I've been trying out Bodyguard for Ichiban, and I've had a similar experience. With Breaker, that Windmill attack was brilliant, especially if you time it so the enemies are as close together as possible.

I'm on PC as well, and I've not had any issues running it (60fps in 1080p on an RX580), but there are some niggles. The biggest is that NONE of the arcade games (except UFO catcher) work at all. It just goes to a black screen and the frame of the machine. Lots of folks on Steam reporting the same issue. Also the way it handles the controller is still a bit wonky (although the patch improved things slightly). I'm using a wireless Xbox One pad, and often it'll power off in a loing cutscene, and can't be reconnected unless you exit back to desktop and reload. Annoying!

I'm quite a new returner to PC gaming, and there's one other thing that bugs me, but maybe it's just what most games do. I'm running it windowed borderless on one screen, and if I click on my other screen the sound mutes. I've been wanting to stream it, but there are often things that I have to do on my second screen while I'm streaming. Is this just the way most PC games work? I've got a couple of others that don't behave the same way.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

I'm hoping I can get to a point where I can just sit down and do sidestories - the game goes at a breakneck pace compared to Yakuza 0, and unlike 0 it doesn't exactly throw sidestories at you when you visit every road. Something I do sort of miss, in a way. I'd rather have that than another fucking random pack of gangsters I have to run around.

Are you not getting all the side quest icons popping up on your map? I’m only up to chapter 8, but every time I do a bit more of the main story, I check back on the map and have tons of side quest icons! It routinely takes me 3-4 hours before I’m back to the main story again, as I’m busy mopping up side quests, doing the new part time hero fight icons etc.

2 hours ago, scissorkicks said:

I'm quite a new returner to PC gaming, and there's one other thing that bugs me, but maybe it's just what most games do. I'm running it windowed borderless on one screen, and if I click on my other screen the sound mutes. I've been wanting to stream it, but there are often things that I have to do on my second screen while I'm streaming. Is this just the way most PC games work? I've got a couple of others that don't behave the same way.

It's purely a per-game basis if audio out of focus is supported or not - there's third party apps that can force Always On Top/Focus, but they don't always work.

I've seen streamers play this game, so there must be some solution. Well, outside of a dedicated second PC.

2 hours ago, Retroguy said:

Are you not getting all the side quest icons popping up on your map? I’m only up to chapter 8, but every time I do a bit more of the main story, I check back on the map and have tons of side quest icons! It routinely takes me 3-4 hours before I’m back to the main story again, as I’m busy mopping up side quests, doing the new part time hero fight icons etc.

I'm probably getting them, but usually I'm going from one place to the next because there's no natural break. 0 usually forced it on you because it genuinely had a sidestory that you got dragged into automatically on every street corner :lol:

Anyway, regarding stuff which I probably should have cleared up by Chapter 5 (Ichiban Confections in Top 100 spoilers), but I'll be covering my experience up to Chapter 10:

Spoiler

I did the business stuff, and unlocked Eri as a playable character. I could have done with her when I only had three characters when Nanba fucked off for three chapters :facepalm: oh well, you live and learn. She's kind of anaemic in terms of Job Level and she needs a decent boxcutter or deck of cards, so it's not a big deal. It's either that, or she would have went Idol while Sa-chan went Night Queen for more DPS.

Bit broke, so I'm just running around beating the shit out of the Part Time Hero fights that I'm outrageously overlevelled for. I also realised I had an accessory that gave a character +80 max MP, so that immediately went on Adachi so he can spam Paralysis Prongs two more times - so about 2000 more damage over two turns :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Siri said:

I'm probably getting them, but usually I'm going from one place to the next because there's no natural break. 0 usually forced it on you because it genuinely had a sidestory that you got dragged into automatically on every street corner :lol:

Didn’t you look at the map? Or stop in the story to do some of the side activities to break the game up? I appreciate the storyline has a fairly unrelenting pace at some points, but most games have that, and still expect you to put saving the world on hold to go and find someone’s lost pet ^_^

Trust me though, the game has plenty of side quests, which you are pretty much free to tackle at any time :)

42 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

Didn’t you look at the map? Or stop in the story to do some of the side activities to break the game up? I appreciate the storyline has a fairly unrelenting pace at some points, but most games have that, and still expect you to put saving the world on hold to go and find someone’s lost pet ^_^

Trust me though, the game has plenty of side quests, which you are pretty much free to tackle at any time :)

I certainly don't discredit the amount of sidequests this game has (It wouldn't be a Yakuza game if it didn't have loads!), but there's definitely something tangibly different about how sidequests are triggered.

I generally go to places by minimap whenever I can, both on Yakuza 0 and Yakuza:LAD - And Yakuza 0 felt like you was bumping into sidequests at every turn. Could be down to map placement (Kamurocho and Sotenbori were pretty tightly packed environments compared to Yokohama), could be down to the proximity required to initiate a cutscene. But it's noticeable between the two games.

Anyway, money's being resolved in-game - the Ichiban Confectionaries stuff has taken off and now I'm getting 200k per Shareholder Meeting, although I'm getting through them by the skin of my teeth due to the action cost of my board members. I should probably nip back to Romance and see if I can upgrade my bat before clearing Chapter 10, as well. Hero's doing a shitload of damage and has AoE already so it's a much better experience than Bodyguard on Ichiban, and I'm still only using Hero's Bat + 1 :P

I don't think there are as many side stories as 0, that's all. It's closer to yakuza 6 in that aspect (although it certainly feels like there's plenty more than that game). 

Honestly it could be a bit much at times in 0. As much as I adore that game you were tripping over them at times. 

53 minutes ago, Siri said:

Anyway, money's being resolved in-game - the Ichiban Confectionaries stuff has taken off and now I'm getting 200k per Shareholder Meeting, although I'm getting through them by the skin of my teeth due to the action cost of my board members. I should probably nip back to Romance and see if I can upgrade my bat before clearing Chapter 10, as well. Hero's doing a shitload of damage and has AoE already so it's a much better experience than Bodyguard on Ichiban, and I'm still only using Hero's Bat + 1 :P

Save some money- there are a couple of side quests that need a lot :P

Love the management side activity though, it’s seriously addictive!! Don’t forget to take a few low cost people to the board meetings though- that way you can deflect questions using them, them hit them with the big boys to deplete their ‘health’. Omelette is a great low cost chicken ;) Also, completing side quests unlocks new staff members, so consider doing a few of those before you get too far in to maintain that efficiency!

How big is the Install for the Series X version? I’ve just installed it on mine and it’s only 37.1 gig. I’ve started the game and only have 2 graphics quality modes, not the 3 mentioned on Digital Foundry.... any ideas? It says no series x update available, and it’s installed on the internal drive.

I'm on chapter 5 and it feels like the game has truly started now - I have a full party, and can choose different jobs. This is also where my fears begin.

Here's my concern: I'm not a JRPG guy at all. I've gone out of my comfort zone for this one because I love the Yakuza series. I've enjoyed things so far, but now I'm starting to worry about the things that made me too anxious to enjoy JRPGs: What if I'm under-levelled? What if I'm levelling the wrong jobs? What if I've been building my party wrong for the whole game?

Sometimes I don't understand what's happening in fights. Why do some enemies not get hurt by attacks as much as others? How can I know an enemy's weaknesses? How do I know what attacks they might do? I also don't know what enemies are doing when they dance around and do weird things -- they're either buffing themselves or debuffing me in certain ways, but I can't comprehend. A JRPG fan might get these parodies of typical JRPG moves - but I fear it's too much for me.

It's fine for basic street fights so far, but I've heard about a big difficulty spike in chapter 12. On this week's Giant Bombcast, Ben (yeah yeah, Ben) confirmed that he hit that difficulty spike. He said he had to go away and grind for about 9 hours to become ready to fight a boss, and he only persevered because he'd already invested 60 hours of his time. Ben claims to enjoy JRPGs and he was loving the game until that point. Lots of other people say the same thing: from chapter 12 onwards the game suddenly gets a lot harder, and bosses become 30-minute battles of endurance (that you may lose), and heavy grinding is an intentional requirement.

I'm sorry but... if that's the case, I'm not going to be happy about that.

The director of this series, Toshihiro Nagoshi, said in a recent interview that he designed the Yakuza games to be completed by everyone, because it would feel unfair to not be able to finish the story because of gameplay roadblocks. But turning the series into a JRPG seems to contradict this -- the chapter 12 difficulty spike sounds like a problem.

The spike is chapter 12 can be overcome by going through one of the heavily signposted dungeons in that area (actually I think I had to go through it twice - which maybe took me 2-3 hrs). But I do agree those long boss fights are not fun at all. They are either really easy but unnecessarily long (because the boss has a crazy big health bar) or too difficult, but until you get into it you aren't sure if you are a high enough level. I wish the game had straight up told the player you need to be X level to proceed.

There is, for me anyway, another spike at the end of Chapter 15 so I've resigned myself to a few hours of grinding, which tbh I'd rather not do at all. I am tempted to just watch the rest on YouTube, but as I have put in 45 hours already I'm going to suck it up. 

Otherwise i didn't mind the turn based action, even if it wasn't as refined as it should have been.

2 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I'm on chapter 5 and it feels like the game has truly started now - I have a full party, and can choose different jobs. This is also where my fears begin.

Here's my concern: I'm not a JRPG guy at all. I've gone out of my comfort zone for this one because I love the Yakuza series. I've enjoyed things so far, but now I'm starting to worry about the things that made me too anxious to enjoy JRPGs: What if I'm under-levelled? What if I'm levelling the wrong jobs? What if I've been building my party wrong for the whole game?

Sometimes I don't understand what's happening in fights. Why do some enemies not get hurt by attacks as much as others? How can I know an enemy's weaknesses? How do I know what attacks they might do? I also don't know what enemies are doing when they dance around and do weird things -- they're either buffing themselves or debuffing me in certain ways, but I can't comprehend. A JRPG fan might get these parodies of typical JRPG moves - but I fear it's too much for me.

It's fine for basic street fights so far, but I've heard about a big difficulty spike in chapter 12. On this week's Giant Bombcast, Ben (yeah yeah, Ben) confirmed that he hit that difficulty spike. He said he had to go away and grind for about 9 hours to become ready to fight a boss, and he only persevered because he'd already invested 60 hours of his time. Ben claims to enjoy JRPGs and he was loving the game until that point. Lots of other people say the same thing: from chapter 12 onwards the game suddenly gets a lot harder, and bosses become 30-minute battles of endurance (that you may lose), and heavy grinding is an intentional requirement.

I'm sorry but... if that's the case, I'm not going to be happy about that.

The director of this series, Toshihiro Nagoshi, said in a recent interview that he designed the Yakuza games to be completed by everyone, because it would feel unfair to not be able to finish the story because of gameplay roadblocks. But turning the series into a JRPG seems to contradict this -- the chapter 12 difficulty spike sounds like a problem.

To quell your fears:

You're unlikely to level the wrong class, nearly every one has its uses and leveling up one job unlocks perks and stat boosts that carry across. Ichiban on Hero, Adachi on Enforcer, Nanba on Homeless, Saeko on Idol and Eri on Dealer are a great group that had me swiftly speeding through it all with very little setbacks. Their default classes are often more than good enough, too.

The chapter 12 difficulty spike comes, very conveniently, after you're introduced to a battle arena that spits out excellent items and levels you up very, very quickly. If Ben from Giant Bomb decided to wander off and attempt to level up in silly locations, Ben from Giant Bomb clearly wasn't paying enough attention. It's literally impossible to miss as it's part of the storyline.

I lost to the boss battle of that chapter, returned to said battle arena for some fun runs through it, then went back and waltzed clean through said boss with barely a scratch. It doesn't take long, you get items and armour that will upgrade your arsenal beautifully and it barely feels like a grind at all because you're getting substantial boosts instead of having to kill fifty grunts for 1/4th a bar of xp like in some real grindy games.

Finally, when enemies are dancing around you'll usually get some text line that tells you exactly what the effect is right after. If they seem to be powering up instead, just defend until their attack comes out. You'll get a feel for them fast.

What the actual fuck just happened. I had my first "Shareholders meeting" - it lasted 5 seconds and ended in failure, everyone unhappy, share price dropped. People just shouted at me and 5 seconds later Ichiban is cowering under a table and crying. I had no understanding of what on earth I was meant to do. That wasn't a tutorial at all! Considering it's only the second time I've ever tried this management minigame -- my only employees are an old woman and a chicken and I don't know how ANY of it works yet, but apparently there's a shareholder's meeting. I feel like it's done nothing to explain itself. But then afterwards Eri's dialogue is like, "You did great!" as if the game didn't expect me to fail with utter confusion.

On 22/11/2020 at 10:05, Kayin Amoh said:

There is, but it takes a while to get one. There's one in chapter 12 and another I picked up from somewhere I've since forgotten about. 

The one I remember in chapter 12 is called Hariti's Amulet and you get it by

Hide contents

doing floor 12 of the battle arena in Sotenbori. I'd heavily recommend grinding out the floors here a few times for some great items, a lot of money and a bunch of levels you'll likely need for the difficulty spike that's the boss.

Oh, and I platinumed the game. On PC. Except I didn't because platinums are a playstation thing and the achievement is bugged on PC. I did everything though because it's absolutely super rad and should be played by everyone with a pulse.

I've opened up that spoliered location but I haven't reached the floor yet. And yes, it's really useful for working on party levels and resources. :) 

Back in the city, the spontaneity of random encounters on the street can be pretty fun - I've had battles end prematurely when they spill onto the road and the last enemy gets wrecked by oncoming traffic :lol: 

Finally hit the chapter 12 'wall' in the game. Yep, it's an absolute doozy if you attempt to give the boss a go - I think I started the chapter at about level 36, had a go after hitting level 40 with the Battle Arena, and I didn't even get halfway through the fight :lol:

I've started actually grinding as a result - specifically, doing Battle Arena runs to level up jobs and get some of the universal skills which are super nice. I also got Hariti's Amulet, so I've been running around all the vending machines and restaurants at my leisure now to build bonds quicker.

I also spent a hot minute making a shitload of cash:

Spoiler

There's a Casino in Chinatown's toilets, but you need to be Style level 4 to access it.

Dunno if it's the same as Sotenbori, but this casino has VIP high stakes tables that start at 100k yen.

And, uh, there's no penalty for save scumming and the AI is scuffed :eyebrows: turned 200k into 8 million in about half an hour!

FYI there is a very good place to grind if you're up to Chapter 15

Spoiler

Go to the second level of the Kamurocho Dungeon. There will be at least two battles where you will encounter an 'Invested Vagrant' character. Make sure that you immediately use attacks that hit him multiple times to knock him out (Joon and Saeko are perfect for this), otherwise he will run away. You will get a shitload of EXP (especially if you attach the gear that gives you 1.5exp). You can then run back to the save point and do it all over again.

Looking forward to getting massively OP and creaming some bosses.

• Harsin changed the title to Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!