Jump to content

Apple TV +


Pug
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just watched all 3 eps of Black Bird, really good.

 

Agree with the surprise at Egerton’s new shape - quite the transformation from Eddie the Eagle.

 

I assume Ep 3 was Liotta’s last, as they had a credits card for him. What a loss.

 

Edit: Nope, he appears in it until the last Ep. And he’s great throughout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ep 4 of Black Bird was great, and 5 is too - though it’s a pretty tough watch at times. Amazing performance from the leads, but Paul Walter Hauser really ups his game in Ep 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone watching the new series of Trying? I quite liked the first two, just quite gentle easy going tv with likeable characters. But the new one really is a bit too sickly sweet and the whole thing just doesn’t really hold together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Black Bird was excellent.

 

Spoiler

As always with these things I'm not sure how much is dramatised, but the low-key victory really threw me in a good way. Egerton was superb as someone gradually losing their confidence and cool in the face of unfathomable evil. Frustrating real-world updates at the credits.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We really enjoyed it too, it was very tense and apparently quite a lot is taken from the book directly - though not sure how truthful the book is, not looked into it that closely.

 

Nice and short and to the point.

 

Only down mark was the scenes where Egerton didn't have his hair product in and looked the spitting image of Ricky from Eastenders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/07/2022 at 16:40, Stanley said:

Anyone watching the new series of Trying? I quite liked the first two, just quite gentle easy going tv with likeable characters. But the new one really is a bit too sickly sweet and the whole thing just doesn’t really hold together. 

Yeah, I also enjoyed the first two series, but this one really does feel too sweet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Bad Sisters

 

First two episodes went up tonight on Apple and it's nice and watchable. It's Sharon Horgan's new show (Catastrophy), about a bunch of sisters who may or may not have murdered their prick of a brother in law (wickedly played in flashbacks by the guy that played dracula in the BBC 3 partner a little while ago - he's absolutely hateful in this). It's an ensemble piece for sure and everybody seems well written so far, Sharon Horgan continues to be very watchable playing her usual character type. One of the Gleeson sons/brothers is also in it, who seemingly always provide good value no matter what they are in.  

 

Only two episodes so far, not much original here but well made, quite amusing and we're looking forward to the next episode next week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched a bit of Tehran season 2. It’s a bit crap, isn’t it? Characters come across too emotional and inept to be plausible spies, even in a flaky work of fiction. Characters moving arbitrarily between 3 or 4 locations to pad out the run time. Can’t remember if season 1 was this dire and this has suffered lack of quality control (it’s been a while), but I don’t want to watch any more of this rubbish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Bad Sisters

 

First two episodes went up tonight on Apple and it's nice and watchable. It's Sharon Horgan's new show (Catastrophy), about a bunch of sisters who may or may not have murdered their prick of a brother in law (wickedly played in flashbacks by the guy that played dracula in the BBC 3 partner a little while ago - he's absolutely hateful in this). It's an ensemble piece for sure and everybody seems well written so far, Sharon Horgan continues to be very watchable playing her usual character type. One of the Gleeson sons/brothers is also in it, who seemingly always provide good value no matter what they are in.  

 

Only two episodes so far, not much original here but well made, quite amusing and we're looking forward to the next episode next week. 


absolutely hateful is an understatement, but to the point where you wonder why this is a precipitating event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/08/2022 at 01:02, PeteJ said:

Only two episodes so far, not much original here but well made, quite amusing and we're looking forward to the next episode next week. 


I read about this show in one of the film/tv magazines (dunno which - I just flick through them really) and it said something like “viewers expecting a comedy due to Horgan’s involvement are going to be disappointed- this is absolutely not a comedy”. But you’re saying it is? Or it isn’t intentionally?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deKay said:


I read about this show in one of the film/tv magazines (dunno which - I just flick through them really) and it said something like “viewers expecting a comedy due to Horgan’s involvement are going to be disappointed- this is absolutely not a comedy”. But you’re saying it is? Or it isn’t intentionally?

It's got black comedy elements for sure. 

 

Also worth noting that while Horgan is getting all the praise this is essentially a remake of a Belgian (yes, Belgian) show called Out-laws which was shown on CH4 some years ago and was very watchable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, deKay said:


I read about this show in one of the film/tv magazines (dunno which - I just flick through them really) and it said something like “viewers expecting a comedy due to Horgan’s involvement are going to be disappointed- this is absolutely not a comedy”. But you’re saying it is? Or it isn’t intentionally?


It’s a very dark comedy, certainly not a drama.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 29/06/2021 at 20:09, ckny said:

Defending Jacob is my favourite thing on Apple TV+, yet nobody talks about it. It’s great.

 

On 29/09/2021 at 16:54, ckny said:

 

Proclaiming Defending Jacob as the best thing on Apple TV+ is the hill I will die on.

 

On 27/05/2022 at 12:11, ckny said:

Conversely, I think For All Mankind is absolutely brilliant and can't wait for the new season.

 

However, as I've said about 100 times before in this thread, Defending Jacob is the best thing on Apple TV+.

 

:quote:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And also! There are the classic Peanuts films buried amongst the new ones…the ones with the sublime Vince Guaraldi music. A Charlie Brown Christmas, Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/09/2022 at 18:58, jonnyalpha said:

Bad Sisters is another show we've enjoyed. You should give Joel Coens The Tragedy of Macbeth a watch as well, it's visually stunning.

 

The latest episode of Bad Sister's ending did surprise me, for the first time.

 

Spoiler

There wasn't a murder attempt! Though presumably the kid murders JP eventually.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/09/2022 at 13:51, Eighthours said:

 

For All Mankind

Ted Lasso

Severance

 

That'll get you started!

Started Ted Lasso last night......jeez that's ridiculously watchable nonsense! 4 episodes back to back.

 

My son really enjoyed 'Luck' as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Started Ted Lasso last night......jeez that's ridiculously watchable nonsense! 4 episodes back to back.

 

My son really enjoyed 'Luck' as well.

 

It's so moreish, my partner and I got through it in a weekend!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Final episode of Bad Sisters went up tonight. I felt like they stuck the landing, it's a satisfying end. 

Well played series, enjoyable throughout with a perfectly over the top hateful villain. He's seriously fucking horrible in every way. 

 

Another hit for Sharon Horgan, who like the rest of the cast is excellent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

We polished off the second series of Physical the other day, still a great show, even though it’s a little twee.


We bailed out after a couple of S2 as there wasn’t a single character we actually liked in it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.