Jump to content
IGNORED

Apple TV +


Pug
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anybody watching Tehran, the show about an Israeli agent who ends up on the run in (wait for it!) Tehran?

 

It’s pretty good, I think if you like Homeland this will be up your street as they are similar  (main female protagonist, spies and that). While it has nowhere near the money of that show it certainly knows how to ratchet up the tension in an identical way. Also it’s great as it has Shaun Toub who was the Iranian intelligence officer in Homeland playing (wait for it!) an Iranian intelligence officer.

 

I’ve only seen 3 eps so I can’t speak for the series but I like what I’ve seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Anybody watching Tehran, the show about an Israeli agent who ends up on the run in (wait for it!) Tehran?

 

It’s pretty good, I think if you like Homeland this will be up your street as they are similar  (main female protagonist, spies and that). While it has nowhere near the money of that show it certainly knows how to ratchet up the tension in an identical way. Also it’s great as it has Shaun Toub who was the Iranian intelligence officer in Homeland playing (wait for it!) an Iranian intelligence officer.

 

I’ve only seen 3 eps so I can’t speak for the series but I like what I’ve seen.

 

Does it have any anti-muslim angle? I tend to avoid shows like these because it puts me in a fowl mood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not as far as I can tell - it’s showing both sides of the fence as in they are all spies mucking about in normal people’s business to negative effect, if anything so far the Israelis come off worse I think. As I said though I’ve only seen three eps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gospvg said:

 

Does it have any anti-muslim angle? I tend to avoid shows like these because it puts me in a fowl mood.


Not that I noticed, though you may have a different perception. 
Some of the Iranian characters are dicks, but it showed more as good people and there was definitely questionable behaviour on Israel’s part. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've watched the first couple of eps of the morning show and its quite decent, clearly their attempt to throw some money at something to pick up some award nods and profile but very watchable, even Jennifer Aniston looking like some uncanny valley CGI of her younger self isn't that off putting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

For me, this is becoming BBC Four but with a much bigger budget.  A new wildlife documentary series - Earth by Night - has just premiered.  The usual sort of thing, except they've used the latest tech to film at night and make it look like daytime so you see behaviours that have never been seen before in glorious HD / 4K.  Each ep is 30 minutes, including intro and "how we did this" bit at the end but is definitely fascinating to watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Been catching up on some stuff the last couple of weeks.

 

The Morning Show wasn't what I expected at all and went some unexpectedly dark places.

 

Tehran was decent. Ended fairly abruptly, more like the end of an episode than the end of a season. I see a second season hasn't been officially greenlit yet, so I hope it is.

 

Half way through Servant. I'm not sure I'm really enjoying it. I do want to know what's going on, but it seems to be taking forever to go anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Tehran was decent. Ended fairly abruptly, more like the end of an episode than the end of a season. I see a second season hasn't been officially greenlit yet, so I hope it is.


Yes, I was a bit bemused by the ‘end’, as it obviously isn’t finished at all! I loved it, one of my favourite shows this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like that there’s now a dedicated AppleTV tab on the app, although it does highlight how little content there is. In an odd way, it’s not bad having less choice and most of what I’ve watched is pretty good anyway. Reminds me of the earlier days of Netflix when you could keep up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ste_S said:

Started watching Ted Lasso and like it a couple of episodes in. I do find some of the Apple product placement a bit jarring at times though, does this calm down after a while?

 

One thing I noticed whilst watching Defending Jacob (good show, btw) is how only one person is ever seen using an Android phone, and they're a super dodgy character. It's something I've noticed in pretty much everything on Apple TV+ to be fair - if there's ever a scene involving anyone using a phone or laptop, or listening to music or whatever, they're always using Apple products to do so.

 

A bit like that time when Mr Robot on Amazon Prime dedicated almost an entire episode to Grace Gummer constantly asking Alexa to turn her lights on and off, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Zio said:

 

One thing I noticed whilst watching Defending Jacob (good show, btw) is how only one person is ever seen using an Android phone, and they're a super dodgy character. It's something I've noticed in pretty much everything on Apple TV+ to be fair - if there's ever a scene involving anyone using a phone or laptop, or listening to music or whatever, they're always using Apple products to do so.

 

A bit like that time when Mr Robot on Amazon Prime dedicated almost an entire episode to Grace Gummer constantly asking Alexa to turn her lights on and off, etc.

 

 

Even though Apple like to provide their products to the entertainment industry, they have certain rules how they can use used on screen.

For example, a bad character can not be seen on the screen using an iPhone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loving watching Home at the moment - sort of Grand Designs but focusing on a) the finished product and b) the architect and design philosophy behind a building or set of buildings.  Really quite inspirational in the way that it makes you think about possibilities in how homes can be built in a more engaging, interesting and sustainable way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Activated the free trial to watch the Beasties doc over Christmas and predictably forgot to 1) cancel after a week and2) watch the Beasties doc. Quite glad though as have watched all of Defending Jacob which was excellent but bleak as fuck and then binged Ted Lasso with my eldest which was a massive surprise. I thought it was going to be a knockabout comedy but it's quite a lovely little feelgood drama and is pretty funny to boot. Rojas, Rojas, Dani Rojas, Rojas, Rojas.

 

Might give Morning Show and Servant a go. and maybe the Beasties doc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Activated the free trial to watch the Beasties doc over Christmas and predictably forgot to 1) cancel after a week and2) watch the Beasties doc. Quite glad though as have watched all of Defending Jacob which was excellent but bleak as fuck and then binged Ted Lasso with my eldest which was a massive surprise. I thought it was going to be a knockabout comedy but it's quite a lovely little feelgood drama and is pretty funny to boot. Rojas, Rojas, Dani Rojas, Rojas, Rojas.

 

Might give Morning Show and Servant a go. and maybe the Beasties doc.

Morning Show, Servant, and Beasties doc, are all excellent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Activated the free trial to watch the Beasties doc over Christmas and predictably forgot to 1) cancel after a week and2) watch the Beasties doc. Quite glad though as have watched all of Defending Jacob which was excellent but bleak as fuck and then binged Ted Lasso with my eldest which was a massive surprise. I thought it was going to be a knockabout comedy but it's quite a lovely little feelgood drama and is pretty funny to boot. Rojas, Rojas, Dani Rojas, Rojas, Rojas.

 

Might give Morning Show and Servant a go. and maybe the Beasties doc.


Mythic Quest is great too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite enjoying Servant - it's a bit slow but the choice of 30m rather than full hour eps means you can limit or binge as much as you choose. Really like the premise but with things like this its usually a question of when (not if) the big reveal or explanation disappoints.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Quite enjoying Servant - it's a bit slow but the choice of 30m rather than full hour eps means you can limit or binge as much as you choose. Really like the premise but with things like this its usually a question of when (not if) the big reveal or explanation disappoints.

Yeah, the 30m length is perfect for Servant. Glad you’re enjoying it. If anything, it gets better towards the end in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.