rllmuk
Qazimod

Edge #339 | Games of the Decade

On 03/11/2019 at 12:10, Qazimod said:

In fairness, they actually clarify this in the intro: "Rather than seek to name the best games of the 2010s (...) we would instead choose to celebrate the titles that defined the decade." Hence Dota, Minecraft, Overwatch, I guess.

From that angle, I can see why they picked games like that - they're hard to ignore - but I can appreciate your point as well; it's a world away from the magazine that celebrated overlooked weirdos like Rez and Ico.

While this is slightly tangential to your point, in this very issue they dedicated four pages to the game I'm directing -- despite the fact that I've found it pretty hard to get even passing coverage from the major sites.

So I think they're doing pretty well on celebrating overlooked weird stuff...

• Upvote 6

On 05/11/2019 at 12:30, Mr Do 71 said:

November 7th is when it hits retail, that's what Next Month says in the last issue.

Just checked and the digital edition's still not out. I was going to subscribe but having to wait while everyone else is reading their print copy is just bollocks.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Just checked and the digital edition's still not out. I was going to subscribe but having to wait while everyone else is reading their print copy is just bollocks.

Ok, it’s up now. Weirdly it’s much cheaper to purchase a subscription through the app store than on their website.

51135234-6F08-43D2-A7F7-DF873657FAA7.png

D516D4CE-D632-4E98-B9C1-655EC9520261.png

4 hours ago, womblingfree said:

What was that AAA game that never got a review years ago?

GamesTM never reviewed Half Life 2 did they?

• Upvote 1

On 02/11/2019 at 14:10, Zael said:

Great score for Disco Elysium. I think it's the best written game I've ever played. It's a landmark game for that sort of talky RPG.

It's not some hoary old bollocks about what it means to be human in a future of robotic giraffe legs for the rich, is it? I'm just so burnt out on that take I'll only play Cyberpunk if it's mechanically inventive with skippable yap.

I really liked Obra Dinn last year, so I'm not against story-based games as a rule.

2 minutes ago, Escaped said:

It's not some hoary old bollocks about what it means to be human in a future of robotic giraffe legs for the rich, is it? I'm just so burnt out on that take I'll only play Cyberpunk if it's mechanically inventive with skippable yap.

I really liked Obra Dinn last year, so I'm not against story-based games as a rule.

Nah, it's not about any futuristic stuff. It's about a city that used to be ruled by a monarchy then had a brief spell of communism which was stomped out by outside forces. Instead of "what it means to be human in the future of robotics" it's more "what it means to be someone living in a city crushed by the turmoil of various political forces". That and a detective story.

• Upvote 2

Gamesradar's take on the top 10 games of the decade:

Given what their numbers 5 and 1 are, and the fact there's not a single From Software and/or Fortnite game in it, makes this list pretty ridiculous in more way than one. 

For those who can't click on videos for whatever reason, Gamesradar's list is below:

Spoiler

10. Journey
9. TES V: Skyrim
8. God of War
7. GTA V
6. Mass Effect 2
5. TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
4. Red Dead Redemption
3. Portal 2
2. The Witcher 3
1. The Last of Us

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

For those who can't click on videos for whatever reason, Gamesradar's list is below:

Hide contents

10. Journey
9. TES V: Skyrim
8. God of War
7. GTA V
6. Mass Effect 2
5. TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
4. Red Dead Redemption
3. Portal 2
2. The Witcher 3
1. The Last of Us

Apart from Portal that would pretty much be my worst games of the decade. Most of them are the bloody same game!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

The Halo 2 soundtrack article was great. I’ve been revisiting it since that YouTube video from McDonald went up and although nobody was as quietly horrified as I was when they heard the guitar licks over the Bungie logo for the first time, that game had a sound all of its own.

• Upvote 1

Luigi Mansion was about a 2 for me when playing that pool boss, but went back up to about a 7 thereafter, so I am fine with that score.