Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

Heres a video from HiFight breaking down some of the game's new mechanics. Big changes are throws no longer being a one-frame, proximity attack. They have a whiff animation too.

The gatling chain combos are gone, or different? Lights either chain into themselves or specific command normals rather than an escalating sequence of slashes to specials.

Stun, stagger and danger time are gone. Also some Guilty Gear players are worried about attacking players no longer having as much opportunity to press their advantage since the stage transitions in the corner reset players to a neutral position. Dunno what the criteria for the transition is, or if it can be avoided in favour of setting up stronger oki.

Apart from the (likely placeholder HUD) it looks beautiful. Obviously. 

EDIT: Oh, here's an Evernote text dump of new mechanics spotted in the stream by (Twitter handle) @GREATFERNMAN:

New Guilty Gear System Mechanics

55 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Heres a video from HiFight breaking down some of the game's new mechanics. Big changes are throws no longer being a one-frame, proximity attack. They have a whiff animation too.

The gatling chain combos are gone, or different? Lights either chain into themselves or specific command normals rather than an escalating sequence of slashes to specials.

Stun, stagger and danger time are gone. Also some Guilty Gear players are worried about attacking players no longer having as much opportunity to press their advantage since the stage transitions in the corner reset players to a neutral position. Dunno what the criteria for the transition is, or if it can be avoided in favour of setting up stronger oki.

Apart from the (likely placeholder HUD) it looks beautiful. Obviously. 

EDIT: Oh, here's an Evernote text dump of new mechanics spotted in the stream by (Twitter handle) @GREATFERNMAN:

New Guilty Gear System Mechanics

Good find - I saw the untranslated version earlier, but it had been captured from the stream at something like 5 fps and wasn't worth adding. This one's way better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A Beta test has been announced for April. 7 characters will be playable (Sol, Ky, May, Axl, Chip, Potemkin, and Faust.) and it will run from 16th to 19th April.

A subsequent tweet also confirms that the game will have rollback netcode but it sounds like this decision was made later in development as the beta will still have delay-based online play.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it doesn't really need stating again, but the game is astonishingly beautiful. I've seen quite a bit of footage now but it still stuns me when I see a new trailer. XRD was gorgeous enough to begin with, so it blows my mind how much of a step up this looks from it. Also very pleased to see the teaser at the end. I'm not good at any GG game but he's one of the few characters I've spent a bit of time trying to learn.

Hot damn. I know the GG games are always a sight to behold but that above is stunning. Not really a big fighting game fan but I'll sure be dusting off my stick to play this beaut.

EDIT* Wow, are those polygons? Thought they were sprites but UE4 means obviously not, right?

Still looks fantastic whatever method.

Yeah both Guilty Gear XRD and Dragon Ball Fighter Z use 3D models as well, but Arcsys went to painstaking lengths to make sure it still looks and feels like the old 2D games, and with Dragonball make it look just like the show as well.  Little tricks they came up with themselves, like giving the characters their own lighting separate form the environment, because 2D sprites wouldn't be lit up by the environment. With Guilty Gear XRD when I first saw a camera swoop and realised it was 3D I was truly amazed. 

There's a great video on how they did it here:

6 minutes ago, JLM said:

Yeah both Guilty Gear XRD and Dragon Ball Fighter Z use 3D models as well, but Arcsys went to painstaking lengths to make sure it still looks and feels like the old 2D games, and with Dragonball make it look just like the show as well. With Guilty Gear XRD when I first saw a camera swoop and realised it was 3D I was truly amazed.

Yeah, watching a few more videos from the OP it became obvious they are using polys. Deffo had me thinking sprites as usual at first though. That's a great vid you've posted, very interesting.

They've done a fantastic job of replicating the sprite look from their older games.

Looking like a rad cast. Giovanna's a very cool design.

Only thing is, if two spots are left that means probably either Baiken or Bridget are the last reveal.

Hoping for Baiken by a very large margin. Both characters have come 1st in the recent character poll Arcsys put out during the beta - Bridget in Japan, Baiken in every other region.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some info about the game's various offline modes has been released. The Tutorial will likely be as thorough as the last couple of games (pretty much the best in the genre) then there's the Mission Mode which will help players to learn how to effectively counter different situations.

Arcade Mode will have branching paths based on performance, including different story scenes, bosses and 2v1 battles. There's a Survival Mode if you just wanna keep battering folk.

Training lets you practice on a dummy and includes advanced options to tailor their behaviour to suit whichever techniques or setups you want to practice.

Looking forward to getting stuck in this April (and only April).

https://www.guiltygear.com/ggst/en/howto/mode/

Man, I was playing some GG last night, and I was fighting a Johnny player in a short set and as I got hit by this moon-walking smooth criminal's "What's My Name?" super for the millionth time (which you can see below) I was suddenly reminded of the Yun & Yang "Poochie cool" conversation that happened around the time SFIV AE was released.

There's a bit of the whiff of Poochie cool around a lot of the GG cast, well, the non-bizarre/grotesque characters anyway, who are all a little bit try-hard. Maybe it's more "Nomura cool" considering all the belts, but you could argue that's just the yin to Poochie cool's yang. 

What or who do y'all think the most Poochie Cool fighting game or fighting game character is?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to levelling up my play to accomplish my personal goals.

Also, as much as I disliked Xrd's 3+ hour story mode that was all cutscenes with no fights, I am glad that's the approach they take nowadays because it means I can just ignore it entirely. I wonder if one day there will be a fighting game with a genuinely good story mode?

GBVS almost had a good story mode, story itself aside. It was kind of interesting as it turned the game into a multi-enemy brawler with some puzzle bosses that were neat, and was split up into very short stages. The problem was that it was all structured like a gacha game, where you have to grind levels for resources and then gamble them away in order to power up. The gacha could mostly be ignored if you were playing to advance the story, but it was also the only way to unlock cosmetics for each character, annoyingly.