Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

• 2 weeks later...

The next beta test for this is in a couple of weeks; 19th February. A day earlier if you've pre-ordered the game. 

13 Playable characters (everyone revealed so far except Anji) and unlike the previous beta it'll use rollback netcode.

Local versus, tutorial and training modes will also be available so you're not just getting battered online before you know what the buttons do.

HECK YES! Last time I didn't play any of the characters and ended up playing very little thanks to the stressful lobby situation and poor netcode.

Now I know how to play a completely different version of Sol though, so I look forward to having my muscle memory trip me up at every opportunity!

Also I really hope Wild Throw still does 40% damage.

What a great move to give an extremely raggo version of Ken.

Also what a great name to give to a command throw used by a raggo version of Ken.

1. Good Lord Zato’s animations are gorgeous. Maybe I will be less mad living in corner lockdown for 2021 even after we reach herd immunity.

2. They gave Ky Dragon Install?! Hard to tell what it does from that video (also what’s going on with his projectile colours?), but it doesn’t seem as awful as accidentally inputting the command when playing as Sol.

3. Sol doesn’t have any invincibility on his uppercut after leaving the ground, huh. Weird to see Zato stuff it so easily! The counter hit bandit bringer was weird too. I was expecting it to pop Zato into the air for a combo, and it looks like the player expected that too as he rushed in with 5K to follow up, but it seemed to hard knock down instead. Shame we didn’t get to see him land a wild throw either, I wanna know how much damage it does now, and if they’d potentially revert it to a combo starter move rather than a standard command grab.

Was just coming in to post that video. Obviously the art/graphics stunned when it was first announced but within a few seconds of seeing gameplay I thought it looked very dull (especially for a Guilty Gear game) so I could totally understand why a lot of people were up in arms about it. My vague feeling as a casual onlooker was that the series could maybe do with losing or tidying up a mechanic or two for the sake of clarity but it did look like they'd taken that idea too far.

It looks way more fun now and it's great how much they've listened to feedback as they've gone. I just hope the rollback is alright since they've said it's not the same as in Plus R, it'd be gutting after all this if it ended up being a SFV 'Yeah, we've got rollback.. but' situation. I can't remember seeing complaints about it from the closed betas though so probably concerned over nothing.

Proper hyped for the open beta.

46 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Another trio of clips from ASWs Twitter. That Axl time freeze super looks absurd and infuriating and I can't wait to use it in the beta.

Yeah, the Axl time manipulation looks crazy. He's a really nicely animated character too. Hard to get a feel for how Ram is supposed to play from that video though, as the Axl is so in control, I'm kind of interested in how they've reworked her as she was such a mystery to me in Xrd.

Wow, Sol's super to punish a whiffed normal over half the screen away, taking away 25% health in the process? Very nice. Wild throw still does bare damage as well. Bandit bringer RC pressure in the corner was sick as well. :D

Nagoriyuki's losing "pose" seems like Slayer's - casually reclining on the floor. Must be a vamp thing.

And Giovanna looks cool. Quite straight forward and grounded, but pretty cool when she got her turns. And the stage was beautiful!

They're releasing starter guides for the characters and mechanics each day until the start of the beta, yesterday was Millia and today's is Zato.

The full playlist is here.

There's also a 4gamer interview regarding the netcode. It's in japanese but wasn't too garbled by google translate. Mostly it discussed the overseas demand for rollback rather than traditional delay-based netcode and its advantages. They also clarify that it won't use the same GGPO netcode that the updated Steam version of Accent Core +R uses but have developed a solution in-house using those principles.

They also mention that rollback had been a consideration as early on as Xrd's announcement but that they hadn't been able to implement it at that time.

https://www.4gamer.net/games/526/G052699/20210205121/

Today's character tutorial is Ramlethal.

She seems much simplified from Xrd, but for me personally that's no bad thing as she seems much easier to grasp now. At this point I want to play like 6 of the initial roster of characters.

59 minutes ago, Benny said:

Guess we'll get some forum lobbies going this weekend then?

You won't be able to choose your opponent during the beta, let alone get a lobby going I'm afraid.

6 minutes ago, imp said:

You won't be able to choose your opponent during the beta, let alone get a lobby going I'm afraid.

Bah!

Well if we're all playing then anyway we'll just have to do some Xrd lobbies to compare and contrast...

41 minutes ago, Jonster said:

During the closed beta it was fairly reliable to get matched with who you wanted if you stood next to them in the lobby and readied up at the same time.

Yeah, I don't know if they're even allowing that again - I read/heard them saying that players will get no choice as they want to test the widest range of connections possible, rather than letting players just choose good ones, etc.

IGN have footage from matches between every character available in the beta in one long video.

So that's footage of everyone in a proper match environment now, which is awesome. I have no idea why that Axl player didn't use timestop even once though!

Get ready for as much “content” as you can handle cos it seems like a bunch of streamers like Sajam and Anime Illuminati have access to the beta now as well, and the online servers are already up and running!

On 15/02/2021 at 11:20, imp said:

Yeah, I don't know if they're even allowing that again - I read/heard them saying that players will get no choice as they want to test the widest range of connections possible, rather than letting players just choose good ones, etc.

Well, looks like the lobbies from last time are back in, so I think we probably could try and brute force ourselves a lobby this weekend!

The netcode looks amazing. Watched Justin Wong vs Haitani, Sajam vs Jiyuna and Sajam vs Hi Fight. These are all USA vs Japan/South East Asia  and it looked smooth and playable. So happy they've finally seen the light and gone with rollback, if it keeps up this sort of performance it will massively increase the available player base. Even the possibility of online tournaments without region lock. Saw a couple of California players go into the West Coast USA lobby only to realise that all of the American players were in the Japan lobby fighting against them instead. 

Much respect to Sajam for his endless crusading on this issue. In his chat he gets asked "how does the netcode feel?" about 50 times per minute. My favourite response was "It feels like I fuckin' told you so!". :D 

Was fortunate enough to get an early access code so I'll be dabbling tonight. Gonna be a long day at work today waiting to get on it. Keen to see how it performs with Europe vs The World matches, but everything I've seen so far makes me very very optimistic. 

Ah, very nice, I'm going to take the strategy of powering through as much work as possible today to try and sneak some extra time with the beta tomorrow, when it's open to everyone as I did not get early access. And yeah, I'm so impressed with the netcode - even when it rolls back on less stable connections it looks so smooth compared to what I've seen in the past. I've played quite a few folk in the US on ACR, and at 150 odd ping with 1 frame of delay it's felt amazing, I can't believe the netcode for this is looking even better!