Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

I'm really finding Nago a joy to use. Really risk/reward. He doesn't have answers for quite everything, but he can be explosive when needed. The twin meter metagame is really moreish.

Only character I struggle with so far is of course our resident BadBoy - it's easy to get overwhelmed if you let him in as Nago needs space to breathe. At least Millia can't make a mistake or her health melts.

Only thing I struggle a bit with is working out the best links from counter hits, as most of Nagos moves seem to blow opponents back. S, S, Bayblade, RC, cS, S S K is a really solid wall break combo from mid screen though, but timing and spacing needs to be quite precise, and it doesn't work off counter hit.

Edit: scratch that, just saw how easy it is to extend that combo without RC. Disgusting.

Been playing quite a bit of this this weekend. Got 1 match win away from reaching Floor 9 with Nago then proceeded to lose horribly over and over and got busted back down to 7th. My hands are too old for this :lol:

Incidentally Nago mirror matches are now my favourite in the game. It's a wonderful dance of pokey pokey, warpy footsy. It basically takes away all the stupid cross ups and rushing about and makes it a complete game of Noble Samurai Neutral.

Hey, PC players!

There's a little program you can download called totsugeki.exe which cuts time spent "connecting to server" by up to 75%!

Fingers crossed the update in November brings this time down on console as well.

Have they just buffed everyone again?

This patch is massive.

I'm actually kind of curious why they felt they had to make such massive changes to the game already, as in the current state I felt all characters have seemed more balanced against each other than any fighting game I've played in years. They all feel strong and viable. And I like the insane damage, so it's a shame people moaning about it are getting their wish with the additional damage scaling. Hopefully it won't be too significant.

Sadly, I don't think I'll ever really play this again. Their patch notes mentioned cutting down the time it takes to access the server on bootup, and after first jump on that's what they've done - by a whopping 50%! Hooray!

So you're still left watching a minute and a half loading screen as it contacts the server. I'm disproportionately annoyed by this every single time, and by the time it goes away I'm usually mildly angry at the game for pointlessly wasting so much of my goddamn time.

And that sucks, because I think it's a pretty decent game when you're not booting the damn thing up.

I just make a cup of tea ready for a session when I boot it up. I think it's a small price to pay in exchange for the superb rollback netcode. Would be interesting to see how many players they've lost because of it though. It's one thing to make a fighting game more accessible mechanically, but keeping people out with slow connection times is going to hit player numbers long before how the game plays does I think, just as a convenience thing.

Anyway, the patch looks like a massive shakeup to the game, looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

New patch feels very weird!

Been too busy to play very much recently, and also been dabbling in learning Melty the last fewe weeks when I have had spare time - that game seems fun to mess around with, but no chance of it replacing Strive in the long run - but I managed to sneak in a couple of hours of STRIVING this morning. 

For the system-wide stuff, I really like the counter slowdown on air normals now, that definitely feels nice as you can consistently get more reward from a correct guess. I hate the changes to RC timings on throws though, I've been punished for being a fraction too early on cancelling the throw more often than I've been punished for trying to OS. As for the other system wide changes to air gatlings and dash cancels, I just haven't played enough to really know what's going on there yet, and it's a bit early for people to have properly adapted so I haven't seen much of it.

As for Sol's changes - he just feels really weird right now. I think you're supposed to be using his new air stuff to replace the utility of 6P wall-bouncing in the corner for combos, but none of his new routes feel anywhere near as satisfying (or consistent) as the old. And on that note all of his new combos look really janky. Especially the ones which require you to do one hit of BR on an airborne opponent, then catch then with a run-cancel 2K run-cancel 2K jump cancel jS or whatever.

The change to BR so the second hit is optional is cool though. I think once I'm used to it, it'll have a lot more utility - especially being able to not accidentally break the wall in corner combos. For now you can get away with some absolutely nonsense by throwing it out on block and then following with a strike or throw mixup, but people will wise up before long, I'm sure. But yeah, I keep dropping combos because I forget I need to press K twice now!

This is precisely what I hoped wouldn't happen with this game though - sweeping changes that just outright nullify a lot of knowledge and muscle memory. This happened in BlazBlue CS when I played Ragna, too. The first major patch just took away all of his standard BNBs, and I just fell off the game afterwards. I doubt that will happen this time, as I'm still enjoying the game a lot, it's just going to be a bit of a long road back until the new stuff gets figured out and I've internalised some reliable combos for each situation. I think that's probably going to be the rub with the character now - combos are going to be extremely situation specific.

Also how the heck did Ramlethal get so buffed in this patch?!

Yes I think you've pretty much nailed for me the problem I have with major changes in a young game: for me the joy of learning a new fighting game is the slow build towards mastery, and I feel far less encouraged to try to get better if any muscle memory you may have built up to improve undergoes a reset in a few months. Like learning a martial art and suddenly discovering after a few months that your brain has forgotten how to punch or something.

I really love Strive because the accessibility makes it feel like the there may even be a route to mastery for someone as cack handed as me, but with every major fundamental change to characters and mechanics it'll just make it less likely I'll bother to improve.

I'll still have great fun messing about in it online though for the duration.

Yeah, this all looks kind of drastic for such a young game when it seemed from watching stuff like it was in a relatively good spot balance-wise just beforehand. I've spent the last few months being frustrated with myself for barely getting the chance to play but now I'm like 'Well, glad I didn't spend all that time learning stuff I'll now have to unlearn!'

In one way I do quite like the idea of playing a game as it evolves but for someone who only has the opportunity to dabble I wonder if it might make more sense to get into an older game that still has a bit of a player base but is at least pretty much set in stone as far as the gameplay goes.

Interesting you would say that, I just noticed Humble Bundle is selling the previous game for pennies (well about 8 euro) and was considering whether it'd be a good idea to get that or go for Strive. I'm a very casual player so I think I will go for the cheaper option.

I would still suggest Strive is best to jump in now though. The other games have a fraction of the player base and are far less accessible.

But the older games for a few quid are a great way to try the series.

Yeah, as far as this series goes I think it'd be pretty rough jumping into the shark-infested waters of something like AC+R which is also more complex and has more difficult execution. Heads up that if you did go for Xrd and wanted to play online you'd want to get the Rev. 2 upgrade as well. It doesn't have rollback either so would probably be pretty rough online especially now with a lower pool of players due to the other games having better netcode.

I was more pondering stuff like Super Turbo, KOF 98/2002 or whatever. Obviously you're gonna get mauled by experienced players but at least you can be confident that whatever you learn about them, you learn for keeps.