IGNORED

Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought this in the Easter sale on ps5. It looks…incredible. Like, holy shit. My 11 year old street fighter 2 playing self would scarcely believe how good it looks. 

But…no idea how to play. Never played a guilty gear before. I really like guitar witch cus she’s a witch with a guitar, and the big Zangief robot guy (Battleship Potemkin). 

Any tips?

Also, is story mode literally just an anime with no player interaction?!? 

• 1 month later...

To my untrained eye (having watched a fair bit of the game but barely playing it due to one thing and another) that patch seems to have some weird stuff going on. Or maybe just normal ASW patch stuff, I dunno.

Axl players gonna love bomber loops being nerfed (and possibly the input being changed, that part doesn't seem very clear).

My home situation is now such that I could start grinding a fighting game now (been without decent Internet and on a laggy display for the last year) but I've got to say,  every time I think of cracking my knuckles and settling down with Strive I'm like 'but communicating with server' and 'but the lobby system'. A year in, I'm guessing the game might be stuck with those forever. It seems petty on the surface but if you're going to potentially put hundreds of hours into something, stuff like that is a big deal. Fighting games never cease to amaze me with their ability to fuck up at least one aspect of their core functionality.

"Hey guys, we got the netcode right! But.."

It is fucking unbelievable that you still have to sit waiting for the server to connect for several minutes on the title screen every time you want to play. Mind-bogglingly insane.

Apparently it's not an issue if you're playing in Asia so I don't think they give a shit.

Yeah, I think that was more or less the reason delay-based netcode persisted so long too. It's funny to think this game would've had that as well as the other issues if the devs hadn't been harassed by everybody. Imagine.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

It is fucking unbelievable that you still have to sit waiting for the server to connect for several minutes on the title screen every time you want to play. Mind-bogglingly insane.

Apparently it's not an issue if you're playing in Asia so I don't think they give a shit.

When was the last time you played? It's been 30 seconds or less for me since Happy Chaos came out at least (Or maybe Jack-O'?)

• 3 weeks later...

After temporarily putting this game down at the end of summer last year due to insane amounts of work I'd tried a couple of times to go back to it and catch up a bit with how the meta shifted, but never really rekindled the furious obsession I had going when it first came out. I managed to readjust to how Sol's combo routing was redesigned, but didn't really persist once I'd managed that. Last weekend though I kinda fancied playing a bit with the big new 2.0 patch to see how things were shaking out. Well, Sol felt pretty rubbish compared to his previous iterations so I decided to learn a new character. Despite my brain telling me I should be playing Ky, an easy to use character with incredible pokes and oppressive oki, I decided to pick up Testament; I fancied playing a character who fights at a slower pace with nice big normals, but with the ability to snowball once you earn a knockdown (much like my beloved Raven from Xrd). For anyone who doesn't know, Testament's gimmick is stain state—a temporary status affliction which is conferred by hitting the opponent with either their crow special move or succubus super. When the opponent is hit with a normal (or specific specials) while afflicted with stain state, they get launched into the air a little, guaranteeing a combo from anywhere on screen. 

It was hard going at first, I lost like 90% of my matches to the absolute myriad of Chipps, Kys and Baikens out there just running trucks over me repeatedly for my first three days while I was trying to learn the basics. I won't lie; I was pretty tempted to switch to Ky or Ram (aka Testament with better buttons and combos), but eventually my Sol muscle memory stopped getting me destroyed quite so much and I was even landing some basic combos every now and then. My main problem initially was the spaces I was contesting—Testament has pretty rangy but slow normals without much in the way of disjoints, making footsies harder than anticipated. Though tbf half the time I was trying to contest space like Sol, who has much quicker buttons and I was just getting endlessly countered. I had to learn to be patient again!

After a few days of furiously trying to puzzle out every individual situation in every match and exhausting myself mentally, I was finally building some muscle memory which was really when the tide turned with the character. I had a couple of go-to combos which led to oki, or at least RPS situations which I was then able to work on tipping in my favour. Also, I wasn't wasting my opportunities to combo from curse pops as often, which meant I was actually doing decent damage. I was starting to win stray matches, and funnily enough most of these were against celestial players. I never really figured out how to dissuade lower ranked ones from just running at me at every opportunity! 

Anyway the last couple of days have been great - the penny has dropped and I'm actually winning most sets, though I'm only messing about in the park. I'll probably try to get back into heaven at some point but I'm not totally confident yet, I definitely don't have bully tactics to just run players over before they catch onto my gimmicks. Anyway, I'm not really sure what the consensus will be on the character, as it's still early days, but they're really fun to play...although I honestly couldn't say I feel like any matchup is truly in their favour. I'm pretty glad a few of Sol's tougher matchups like Nago and I-No feel much more doable as Testament though!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm off work with covid this week, and I've been putting a decent amount of time into playing this and I've been feeling like my Testament's starting to look kinda clean these days... (Well, not really, but getting there). Still struggling against good Ky, Chipp, Millia, and Ram players but I'm really happy with their spread of matchups, particularly vs Nago, I-No, Happy Chaos, and Leo which I all struggled against with Sol.

Also Baiken seems fightable, which is great for such a ludicrously popular character. BTW, it looks like all the Mays have disappeared, but the couple of times I've fought her, I've felt a lot more in control than I did with Sol.

A couple of funny things:

Please note the absolutely unnecessary teleport in the latter combo.

Also, CEO was a pretty fun watch for the first tournament on the current patch, really looking forward to EVO next month (and hopefully season 2 news with big nerfs for Ram, HC, Ky and Nago :P) Although most annoyingly I'll be travelling to and from a wedding most of EVO weekend.

I came back to this the other day to try it out with my new arcade stick and I'd never played against all the new DLC characters since Jack-O.

I went into the park, was playing Nago, and someone picked Testament and just troll spammed that screen crossing overhead, low, overhead, low at me until I died.

I now hate Testament players. You're welcome.

I have to say it feels very nice to make Nago actually care about what the other character is doing onscreen!

I still get deleted most rounds I lose the round start RPS though - it's still a real struggle when you're trapped in the corner, and let's face it, you eat one combo from Nago and you're in the goddamn corner.

2 hours ago, imp said:

I have to say it feels very nice to make Nago actually care about what the other character is doing onscreen!

I still get deleted most rounds I lose the round start RPS though - it's still a real struggle when you're trapped in the corner, and let's face it, you eat one combo from Nago and you're in the goddamn corner.

I will spam Beyblade and you will like it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The game’s had an update and you can see Bridget’s icon on the character select screen, though you can’t select it to see the model. The game is in maintenance at the moment but that should be over soon. Hoping Bridget is playable today, otherwise I guess it’ll be tomorrow - JP tweets are saying the 9th. Having just watched the starter guide, I’m pretty keen to have a go!

55 minutes ago, imp said:

Has a DP, has lockdown with the yo-yo, and a hopping command grab. Character is gonna be good in Strive, I reckon!

Looks really really fun. If Bridget is allowed at VSF I'm going to playing her a lot the next couple of weeks :lol:

4 hours ago, Jonster said:

Looks really really fun. If Bridget is allowed at VSF I'm going to playing her a lot the next couple of weeks :lol:

File this under not happening. Guess I'll start the grind in a couple of weeks. Plus a bunch of tech will be out by then...

My day 1 Bridget is, err, not fantastic, she's def not a character that comes naturally to me! Really interesting design as I feel there's a lot of scope for freeform nonsense and utter, utter grime, but I guess it'll be a while until people figure that stuff out, I certainly haven't figured out much beyond a janky charged dust setup that I doubt people will fall for even tomorrow. Damage seems very low right now, but that's the archetype / the price she has to pay for all her great buttons/mobility, etc, but it's also still early days which is going to exacerbate that feeling as combos are unoptimised and so frequently dropped it feels like you need to win twice as many interactions per round to win.

Anyway, after maybe 90 minutes of trying to figure out how to play Bridget online, I decided to see if I could get back into heaven by sniping Bridget players in the tower while playing as Testament. It worked gangbusters and I basically snuck back into the celestial floor VIP status in the most dishonourable way possible. Hell yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my steam deck back today so dived in on season pass 2. Bridget is great, I haven’t played much of her yet obviously but she seems like one of the easier fighters and I was racking up 18,10 and more hit combos reasonably easily. There’s a good mix of long range and close quarters at play.

I’m sure there’s some deeper dynamics with that yoyo but looking forward to diving in proper.