Impeachment - American Crime Story

JohnC

Third season of American Crime Story is about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky. Lewinsky herself is involved as a producer. They're getting the cast together. It'll be based on the book A Vast Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President. Starts shooting in March and is currently aiming for 27 September airing.

Clive Owen as Bill Clinton

Beanie Feldstein as Monica Lewinsky

Sarah Paulson as Linda Tripp

Annaleigh Ashford as Paula Jones

Hillary Clinton hasn't been cast yet

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

First episode was out this week. I enjoyed it a lot and its covering a lot I wasn't aware of. Great cast.

Spoiler

I expected they'd do the whole not showing Bill until the very end of the first episode. Definitely interested to see how Owen handles the role beyond that snippet.

• 1 month later...

This has started showing on BBC, although you would be forgiven for not knowing. It's not even on the front page of iPlayer, I had to search for it to find it, which is odd given how popular and high profile the first two series were.

I quite enjoyed the first episode, although the style took a bit of getting used to. It had the same wry, ironic quality to the dialogue from the OJ Simpson series, but was directed in an extremely dramatic style, with lots of ominous music and deep shadows. The grim, bleak look of the programme doesn't seem to quite gel with the often comical dialogue. The look of the show is quite odd - they're downplaying the nineties clothes and designs it seems like, while ramping up the retro frumpiness of the female cast members. Clive Owen looks fucking bizarre as Clinton, it looks like he's wearing an entire prosthetic face.

I don't know anything about the Lewinsky story or the various nineties Clinton scandals beyond vaguely remembering jokes about Whitewater and spunky dresses from watching TV programmes at the time, so this is all uncharted territory for me. Like, I vaguely remember Linda Tripp but thought she was some kind of federal prosecutor, and all the names like Kenneth Starr and Vince Foster all ring bells, but I've no idea how it all fits together. The first episode was extremely slow, but I liked the way they built up Tripp's bitterness and resentment towards the west wing.

I've not seen this yet, but I'm encouraged the style maybe takes some getting used to, oddly. I've watched the OJ one a few times now and I think it's a genuine masterpiece –  one of the best TV programmes I've ever seen come to that. The level of detail is remarkable and gets better every time you see it. As such I've recommended it to people and a lot of the feedback hasn't been great. The reference points of The Young and Restless and that kind of glossy US soap run right through the middle of it and it's easy to just think it's a throwaway bit of trash. Like Mr Goldman hamming it right up or casting Ross as one of the lead characters. Once that clicks it's glorious. The Versace one is really incredible too, but it's a bit more straightforward for me. 

I'd love to see them resurrect the Katrina story at some point. Feels made to measure.

1 hour ago, K said:

This has started showing on BBC, although you would be forgiven for not knowing. It's not even on the front page of iPlayer, I had to search for it to find it, which is odd given how popular and high profile the first two series were.

I quite enjoyed the first episode, although the style took a bit of getting used to. It had the same wry, ironic quality to the dialogue from the OJ Simpson series, but was directed in an extremely dramatic style, with lots of ominous music and deep shadows. The grim, bleak look of the programme doesn't seem to quite gel with the often comical dialogue. The look of the show is quite odd - they're downplaying the nineties clothes and designs it seems like, while ramping up the retro frumpiness of the female cast members. Clive Owen looks fucking bizarre as Clinton, it looks like he's wearing an entire prosthetic face.

I don't know anything about the Lewinsky story or the various nineties Clinton scandals beyond vaguely remembering jokes about Whitewater and spunky dresses from watching TV programmes at the time, so this is all uncharted territory for me. Like, I vaguely remember Linda Tripp but thought she was some kind of federal prosecutor, and all the names like Kenneth Starr and Vince Foster all ring bells, but I've no idea how it all fits together. The first episode was extremely slow, but I liked the way they built up Tripp's bitterness and resentment towards the west wing.

Urgh, Ryan Murphy again. he's bungled this. It's dark as fuck, all the women are made frumpy and stupid-looking, and there's simply not enough story to last 10 episodes without sssllllloooowwwwwiiiiiinnnnnnnggggg  it down.

Also Linda Tripp is dead, so they're going hog wild with making her the bad guy.

Somebody save fine actor Sarah Paulson from the clutches of Ryan Murphy please.

The style of this is bizarre. At the start of episode two, there’s this inexplicable lingering shot of Linda Tripp buying a Christmas decoration that’s shot like a horror film, with sinister music over the top.

I guess the problem with this series is that the OJ series kicked off with the murders of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman and the Gianni Versace series kicked off with Versace being killed, and this kicks off with badly dressed people having endless banal conversations. There’s so much exposition front-loaded. It feels like it doesn’t have the insight of the Versace series, or the multi-threaded structure of the OJ series.

2 hours ago, K said:

The style of this is bizarre. At the start of episode two, there’s this inexplicable lingering shot of Linda Tripp buying a Christmas decoration that’s shot like a horror film, with sinister music over the top.

The problem is Ryan Murphy has zero quality control and thinks camp OTT is great.

11 hours ago, Festoon said:

The problem is Ryan Murphy has zero quality control and thinks camp OTT is great.

Yeah, but I at least understood the camp OTT aspects of previous series. This bit just felt like they'd put the wrong music on by accident.

I thought this was going to cover a lot of material I wasn't aware of, but it is just really padded out. It could easily have been half, or even a quarter, as many episodes. (Up to episode 8, so still 3 more to go as well)

On 28/10/2021 at 00:48, Festoon said:

Talking of zero quality control - the original FX version had this peach in episode 2: 

Screenshot_.thumb.jpg.ec3103de46ef2ce38fd46d329c11da95.jpg

That was about the most interesting thing to happen in the six episodes I've watched, sadly they fixed it for the BBC release.

To pledge's point - I liked OJ and Versace fine but they both felt a bit a bit loose and overlong - this though is glacial. The last six hours of this you could tell, comfortably, in 45 minutes. An hour tops. A shame really, it's an important story and Beanie Feldstein is is good despite having little to work with, particularly given Tripp, Jones, Clinton and every other character are completely two dimensional. I'm going to stick with it to see how they portray the grand jury testimony.