Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

With Modern Warfare having just been released under two months ago (and being one of the best CODs since MW2 IMO), Activision is already causing a bit of controversy with their next COD game.

Originally, they had Raven & Sledgehammer producing a Vietnam era Cold War COD title for release at the end of 2020.  Now, it looks like they've been given the back seat and Treyarch will now take the lead on bringing us Black Ops 5 instead.  This is most likely due to the fact that WW2 was highly regarded as the worst COD game in a long time, but also because BO4 was their most profitable generating over $800 million in microtransactions. 

Personally, I think they should take a year off and keep pumping out content for Modern Warfare.  The gameplay and graphics are the best they've ever been and hopefully the seasonal content which should be starting in December won't fuck it up for us like BO4's did.

Here's more info: https://kotaku.com/sources-call-of-duty-2020-in-upheaval-as-treyarch-take-1834858368

WW2 is still my favourite of the last three CODs. I miss the HQ, especially with Christmas coming up. War mode too.

BO4 was trash but at least we can put that down to Treyarch saving the good stuff for BO5 and the next gen console launches.

Not sure if there's another thread for this, but I'm about to pre-order the game and was just wondering what the Cross Gen bundle is.  I assumed that your entire PS4 games library would be able to transfer to PS5 once it launches.

No they haven't guaranteed that (they said the majority will, whatever that means), however the upgrade specifically gives you the PS5 version if you bought the PS4 version, with all the bells and whistles that brings.

As feared this looks a massive step backwards to me, compared to MW.  Money is on the maps are returning to the old stale formula, no verticality and 3 lane merry go rounds with tight corners. Not for me if it pans out this way.

18 minutes ago, Dave White said:

As feared this looks a massive step backwards to me, compared to MW.  Money is on the maps are returning to the old stale formula, no verticality and 3 lane merry go rounds with tight corners. Not for me if it pans out this way.

Have you seen Jack Frags video? He says the same. 

• No fluid vaulting over surfaces
  • No leaning on walls / corners
  • No doors
  • Grenade throwing seems lighter
  • sound effects are no where near as impactful / heavy
  • 3 lane simple maps that have a block based feeling
  • higher time to kill
  • animations don't feel as smooth
  • feels more like an old twitch cod

It's also a totally different game engine. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

• No doors
  • higher time to kill

Just watched that. He didn't see any scope glint either which is buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit. I get the feeling had that video not been sponsored by Activision he'd have put the boot in much more, it felt very "PR speak"ed (as in he deliberately censored his thoughts, not that he got told what to say).

I wasn't in for this anyway as I'm sick of the cycle that always happens with CoD but you know how the hype train goes, you get caught under the wheels sometimes. Glad to say the impressions haven't done anything to sway me towards it.

18 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

• No doors
  • higher time to kill

Wow I haven’t, this sounds like a total rush job and as usual will sell in bucketloads but there’ll be no denying people will feel the engine and lack of quality of life enhancements that made MW such a leap forward for the series.

defo out this year.

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Just watched that. He didn't see any scope glint either which is buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit. I get the feeling had that video not been sponsored by Activision he'd have put the boot in much more, it felt very "PR speak"ed (as in he deliberately censored his thoughts, not that he got told what to say).

I wasn't in for this anyway as I'm sick of the cycle that always happens with CoD but you know how the hype train goes, you get caught under the wheels sometimes. Glad to say the impressions haven't done anything to sway me towards it.

I'm kinda gutted. I've been off the COD train since the 360, picked MW up in December and it's been my most played game this year. I properly loved it, but recently we've found our group playing MP less and less and focusing on Warzone. 

Not sure where I'll look for shooters this year. May take a year off from them!

1 minute ago, Dave White said:

Wow I haven’t, this sounds like a total rush job and as usual will sell in bucketloads but there’ll be no denying people will feel the engine and lack of quality of life enhancements that made MW such a leap forward for the series.

defo out this year.

I think it's weird that they are pushing on with Warzone, which will include everything like fluid vaulting, doors and leaning / mounting, but it won't be in the MP game. Feels a bit odd that it will be two different play systems between them. 

Wonder why they have used a different engine and not the MW one. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

I'm kinda gutted. I've been off the COD train since the 360, picked MW up in December and it's been my most played game this year. I properly loved it, but recently we've found our group playing MP less and less and focusing on Warzone. 

Not sure where I'll look for shooters this year. May take a year off from them!

Destiny 2

8 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

My cycle of COD is ‘don’t bother with anything from Treyarch’. 

I more meant the:

Game launches

Solid multiplayer for a month

Fanbase starts moaning

Changes start getting implemented

Core experience changes

More moaning

Less communication

Game becomes shitshow.

cycle. I've managed to eke some joy out of all of the CoDs. Before this my most played was Black Ops 3. Prestige 10'd that fucker.

56 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Game launches

Solid multiplayer for a month

Fanbase starts moaning

Changes start getting implemented

Core experience changes

More moaning

Less communication

Game becomes shitshow.

It was so depressingly predictable that MW would morph from something that was a real nice change of pace for the series to what it is now but I guess it's easier for Activision to just keep on giving the fanbase the same old shit as those fans are clearly unwilling to try something even the slightest bit different from what they already know.

That said, my main reason for giving up on MW was that no-one ever plays the objective modes as objective modes. It just gets tiring being the only player trying to play the game as it should be played whilst every other dickhead runs around like headless chickens playing for KDR. I'd have liked to see KDR removed totally from all objectives but that of course would mean empty lobbies. 

As is, I'll not be buying anymore COD, a choice made easier as the new one looks so uninspiring.

I also have zero interest in fucking Warzone.

Just watched jackfrags on this, thinking maybe I’ve spoken too soon. 

No. Despite him playing in on PC with everything at max, it looked like shit. MW on my One X looks a lot better.

And the gameplay looked like something from a much older FPS. 

If the masses didn’t do the ‘must buy the new COD each year’ this wouldn’t happen. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-12-treyarch-has-made-a-big-change-to-damage-flinch-for-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war

This damage flinch effect has proved controversial among the Call of Duty competitive multiplayer community, with many saying they'd prefer to play without having their aim disrupted by being shot. Well, it sounds like Treyarch is giving the people what the people want.

Huh. Ok then...

While MW is one of my most played games of 2020, if this carries on with the same wank lobby system and retarded map rotation, I'm making no inroads towards this.

I reckon I've spent at least a 5th of my playtime waiting for a match, and then exiting and starting again when it always chooses Hackney frigging Yard, or puts me in a match with 5 minutes on the clock already. 

"You're in last place! Try a new strategy". Here's a new strategy, don't put me in a game 15 kills behind with 4 minutes left on the clock!

11 hours ago, englishbob said:

While MW is one of my most played games of 2020, if this carries on with the same wank lobby system and retarded map rotation, I'm making no inroads towards this.

I reckon I've spent at least a 5th of my playtime waiting for a match, and then exiting and starting again when it always chooses Hackney frigging Yard, or puts me in a match with 5 minutes on the clock already. 

"You're in last place! Try a new strategy". Here's a new strategy, don't put me in a game 15 kills behind with 4 minutes left on the clock!

Please, do not use retarded as a description of anything. As to the lobby problem, didn't you post how you repeatedly cancel out of joined matches til you get one you like the look of? Maybe you've got yourself onto some sort of algorithmic shitlist.