Jump to content

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War


Omizzay
 Share

Recommended Posts

I really would like to enjoy this game but I find it a pretty frustrating experience overall. Just to give some context, this is only the second CoD I've played multiplayer on ever. The first one was WW2 but I didn't play more than about 5-10 hrs of that as I didn't like the gunplay. I bought BOCW because I wanted a fps mp game to play while I wait for BF6. I'm normally a Battlefield player but wanted to give CoD a chance.

Now, I actually think the underlying mechanics of BOCW are pretty good. The guns feel satisfying to use - well, most of them do. And the movement and core mechanics, I do enjoy. But the whole thing is let down by two elements in my eyes. The first is the maps. There are far too many maps which are just plain bad - in the case of Miami. Or that feel rushed in a design sense. Satellite could be a great map and snipers probably love it but I find it really difficult to actually see enemies on it. They blend in to the environment too easily. I think Garrison is an above average map. Nuketown is fast but entertaining to play in. And I think the best overall is probably Raid. 

However, the biggest issue the game has is the thick Skill Based Match Making. Or, as one ex Activision employee called it, Performance Optimised Match Making. It will basically put you against very similar skilled players for most of the time you're playing. But it's also designed to analyse how you play. Had a run of crappy games with a low k/d? Watch as the game throws you an easy lobby where you get a good k/d/score to encourage you to keep playing. Now, that isn't necessarily the worst aspect. It's the very suspect "behind the scenes" stuff that's changing your experience in game. I've had some very suspicious experiences with one on one gunfights, where the aim assist has pulled my aim to one side so the other guy can get an easy kill. I've had times when my gun just plain won't fire when aiming down sights (while fully loaded). On the flip side, I had one really laughable experience where a guy was about 1 metre from me and emptied what felt like an entire clip in my direction..Not one bullet hit me. I felt like Neo in the Matrix. I took an eternity to turn around as I just assumed he would kill me. I shot him in a few bullets. And then just stood there and said: "Did that actually just happen?"

Now, maybe you haven't experienced anything weird in game but I know from YouTube videos on the subject and what people have said on Twitter that I'm not the only one who feels that sometimes it seems like you're not fully in charge of things, in game. It honestly feels like there's some on the fly balancing going on, some of the time (not all of the time by any means) to keep players who aren't so skilled from getting continually stomped and leaving the game.

Call me old fashioned but when I play an fps mp game, I want to experience a fair fight against an opponent and for the winner to be the one who reacts faster or is better skilled aiming etc. I don't want to feel like the "hand of Activision" is calculating whether I deserve a kill in that moment based on how well I am or aren't doing in that particular game at that particular moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah that’s just lag, I don’t buy for a second there is in game bias in gun fights - it would be easy to prove and kill the franchise when the youtubers got wind of it!

 

Spot on about the maps, there are some very weak ones and it’s a shame as I think it plays a good game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last night I was given the Christmas gift of a 22 killstreak on Nuketown while capturing and defending the B flag. That’s my highest streak in this game so far. And if I hadn’t decided to napalm the B flag while still contesting it, it could have gone even better.

 

2020 isn’t just there for the bad things in life. Three cheers for everyone needing to be extra drunk to get through this holiday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hadn't noticed that many campers and bumper jumping dick weasels. It's definitely less camptacular than MW in TDM.

 

CDKeys have the cross gen bundle for series for 45 quid (which @Ry mentioned) but I think the enjoyment I was getting from the week-long trial was just the newness of it. The maps are all over the place on quality, there's not many of the and the gunplay doesn't feel that great. Not awful by any means, but not worth shelling 45 quid for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I hadn't noticed that many campers and bumper jumping dick weasels. It's definitely less camptacular than MW in TDM.

 

CDKeys have the cross gen bundle for series for 45 quid (which @Ry mentioned) but I think the enjoyment I was getting from the week-long trial was just the newness of it. The maps are all over the place on quality, there's not many of the and the gunplay doesn't feel that great. Not awful by any means, but not worth shelling 45 quid for. 

 

I'm really enjoying it but yeah you are right the core maps are not brilliant. There are 4 i really like and the rest are a bit average. 

 

But then I noticed Firefight has its own set of smaller crazy maps, the game show one is amazing. 

 

Then I played some mode which was a mini battle royal style where you drop in and get plunder (like plunder in warzonw funilly enough) it was madness. 

 

The game has much more to offer than I initially thought playing the trial. And it's the only Cod multiplayer I have enjoyed in over a decade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven’t enjoyed MP COD this much since MW2. I’ve finally managed to start running my Thermal/LMG class (Thermal scope is Level 55) which is great for Domination on Nuketown.

 

Smoke cover on B and then it becomes a bit of a duck shoot as the opposition come running down the alley towards B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Bleeders said:

Haven’t enjoyed MP COD this much since MW2. I’ve finally managed to start running my Thermal/LMG class (Thermal scope is Level 55) which is great for Domination on Nuketown.

 

Smoke cover on B and then it becomes a bit of a duck shoot as the opposition come running down the alley towards B.

 

Add me if you fancy a game sometime. Would like to actually play with some people rather than randoms. 

 

Gtag - RYAN WHITELAW 

Activision Id - ryangwhitelaw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/12/2020 at 21:18, AfromB said:

Isn’t all of that just the shitty implementation of lag compensation in cod games rather than some ninja like programming that makes such decisions on the fly. 

 

Yeah I thought so at first but there are videos from CoD YouTubers showing that SBMM actually affects your ping directly as well. So it's definitely connected.

Basically, a group of CoD YouTubers did a study on SBMM in Cold War and found that, amongst other things, one of their discoveries was that the better you are at the game the worse you will ping will be as the game tries to "balance" out gunfights so you don't dominate all the time. It's explained in the video below and others made by Drift0r, JGOD..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t watched the video yet (no time at the minute but will do later), but isn’t that just because there’s a smaller pool of players at the top end to match with and therefore your less likely to get a decent connection rather than any other shenanigans? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s no way in a million years that they’re micromanaging the game for individual players to the extent that they’re putting your aim off for specific kills or artificially increasing your ping. It’s pure magical thinking. It’s like examining the distribution of rolling 2d6, and concluding the dice are artificially increasing the number of times you roll seven to keep you playing, as seven is associated with luck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m about 30 hours into Zombies and MP. The past few days have been painful for crashes. I was on a Zombies high round with a nice group and it just completely froze I made a cuppa tea and eventually it went to PS Home Screen. I’m getting kicked out of approx 1 in 3 MP games it just says error message and back to the lobby. 
 

Hopefully it’ll get a fix soon as I’m really enjoying it. Anyone fancy joining me most evenings beyond 9-10pm add me Baring7usa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Same. I ended up caving on the CD Keys offer because I'm a prick and it's been solid as fuck. I can't tell the difference between the 'last' gen and the Series version, mind. I only know it's the right version because it's got a ray tracing on/off option in the menu.

 

If you pause the game and zoom in x10 you can see slightly straighter lines and shadows, probably

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I find I’m not playing long stints of this online on my own, as it’s stressful :lol: but it is very good and very slick (Series X).  I’ve been playing a playlist of all modes basically and I had a domination map with 6 points today, first time, all spread out on a big ol’ map.  Reminded me of Battlefield and it was really, really cool!  Have to do a bit more of those.

 

Did another mission on single player campaign too, think I made a bad choice in it but nevermind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sprite said:

So I find I’m not playing long stints of this online on my own, as it’s stressful :lol: but it is very good and very slick (Series X).  I’ve been playing a playlist of all modes basically and I had a domination map with 6 points today, first time, all spread out on a big ol’ map.  Reminded me of Battlefield and it was really, really cool!  Have to do a bit more of those.

 

Did another mission on single player campaign too, think I made a bad choice in it but nevermind.

 

Hit me up if you fancy teaming up. Be nice to play with some people here even though my begging falls on deaf ears lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not had an issue with it at all on Series X.

 

Actually that's a lie, sometimes it looks like it's running at less than 60 frames but I'm never sure. Could just be me.

 

I've been playing solo Die Machine in Zombies and the new objective goals make a massive difference to the enjoyability of it for me. Zombies was always fun but trying to figure out what to do was a ball ache. Now I'm trying to figure when's best to get Pack A Punch and upgrade the guns and all that stuff. It's great. Not sure if they did the same with the previous ones (I think they were separate) but tieing the levelling and gun levels into the multiplayer means I can get sights on guns before I take them into TDM instead of failing to hit anything with iron sights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I enjoyed zombies mode but there too much bullshit and nonsense with the upgrades and daft systems in place and I can't be arsed to learn them all. 

 

It's why I'm looking forward to that new Left 4 Dead like game. Just give me a few guns and an actual level to shoot shit. 

 

I'm currently playing the story, it's fun but the writing is a disjointed mess, got no clue what's going on except "Perseus is bad, have to find him" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Actually that's a lie, sometimes it looks like it's running at less than 60 frames but I'm never sure. Could just be me.

 

Happens to me about 10% of the time. Drop to dash then go back into the game usually sorts it. Don't need to kill the client or anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Not had an issue with it at all on Series X.

 

Actually that's a lie, sometimes it looks like it's running at less than 60 frames but I'm never sure. Could just be me.

 

I've been playing solo Die Machine in Zombies and the new objective goals make a massive difference to the enjoyability of it for me. Zombies was always fun but trying to figure out what to do was a ball ache. Now I'm trying to figure when's best to get Pack A Punch and upgrade the guns and all that stuff. It's great. Not sure if they did the same with the previous ones (I think they were separate) but tieing the levelling and gun levels into the multiplayer means I can get sights on guns before I take them into TDM instead of failing to hit anything with iron sights.

 

18 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

 

Happens to me about 10% of the time. Drop to dash then go back into the game usually sorts it. Don't need to kill the client or anything.

 

Yep, this! Solves it every time. When you see the CoD menu, press the Xbox button on your controller once - this slides the Xbox dash in from the side. Then simply press B to close the dash again and voila... CoD back to 60fps.

 

Works without fail!!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ridgeracer said:

I'm playing this on PS5 and I get frame drops every time but only on the outside bit of the Moscow map.

 

I just don't go outside. 

 

It's not framerate drops on the series X. It's more that the whole game runs about 25fps. You drop to dash and come back and it's back to 60fps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.