Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Just bought the cross gen bundle on the store using £50 wallet top up for £44.85 from shop to I’m guessing it knows I’m PS5 and downloads the right version ?

Also with the game sharing if I log into a ps4 console of a friend can they get the PS4 version for free ?

Just bought the full game. 

First time I have got into the multiplayer in a cod game for more than 30 mins since the 360 days. At first it didn't click for the first hour then I had 2 games in a row where I got over 40 kills and just thought "this is fun" 

2 hours ago, denisb said:

Just bought the cross gen bundle on the store using £50 wallet top up for £44.85 from shop to I’m guessing it knows I’m PS5 and downloads the right version ?

The PS5 version will just have the title of the game, the PS4 version is appended with PS4, it probably will try to download both.

2 hours ago, denisb said:

Also with the game sharing if I log into a ps4 console of a friend can they get the PS4 version for free ?

That's right, they can login with your details and activate their PS4 as your accounts primary PS4 and then they can play your digital games without your account being signed in.

If anybody fancies a game my Activision ID is: ryangwhitelaw (gamertag is RYAN WHITELAW)

My daughter in law has been playing that prop hunt mode all morning while im working away, she loves it lol. Might have to give it a go sometime

8 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

How does one download the trial on PS5? All I can see is the sale version and the deluxe version?

On the PS app search 'black ops cold' and it's the fifth one, says 'free access' and its categorised bundle, so maybe search that on the PS5 shop too? Look sharp because it's only on till tomorrow.

I really would like to enjoy this game but I find it a pretty frustrating experience overall. Just to give some context, this is only the second CoD I've played multiplayer on ever. The first one was WW2 but I didn't play more than about 5-10 hrs of that as I didn't like the gunplay. I bought BOCW because I wanted a fps mp game to play while I wait for BF6. I'm normally a Battlefield player but wanted to give CoD a chance.

Now, I actually think the underlying mechanics of BOCW are pretty good. The guns feel satisfying to use - well, most of them do. And the movement and core mechanics, I do enjoy. But the whole thing is let down by two elements in my eyes. The first is the maps. There are far too many maps which are just plain bad - in the case of Miami. Or that feel rushed in a design sense. Satellite could be a great map and snipers probably love it but I find it really difficult to actually see enemies on it. They blend in to the environment too easily. I think Garrison is an above average map. Nuketown is fast but entertaining to play in. And I think the best overall is probably Raid. 

However, the biggest issue the game has is the thick Skill Based Match Making. Or, as one ex Activision employee called it, Performance Optimised Match Making. It will basically put you against very similar skilled players for most of the time you're playing. But it's also designed to analyse how you play. Had a run of crappy games with a low k/d? Watch as the game throws you an easy lobby where you get a good k/d/score to encourage you to keep playing. Now, that isn't necessarily the worst aspect. It's the very suspect "behind the scenes" stuff that's changing your experience in game. I've had some very suspicious experiences with one on one gunfights, where the aim assist has pulled my aim to one side so the other guy can get an easy kill. I've had times when my gun just plain won't fire when aiming down sights (while fully loaded). On the flip side, I had one really laughable experience where a guy was about 1 metre from me and emptied what felt like an entire clip in my direction..Not one bullet hit me. I felt like Neo in the Matrix. I took an eternity to turn around as I just assumed he would kill me. I shot him in a few bullets. And then just stood there and said: "Did that actually just happen?"

Now, maybe you haven't experienced anything weird in game but I know from YouTube videos on the subject and what people have said on Twitter that I'm not the only one who feels that sometimes it seems like you're not fully in charge of things, in game. It honestly feels like there's some on the fly balancing going on, some of the time (not all of the time by any means) to keep players who aren't so skilled from getting continually stomped and leaving the game.

Call me old fashioned but when I play an fps mp game, I want to experience a fair fight against an opponent and for the winner to be the one who reacts faster or is better skilled aiming etc. I don't want to feel like the "hand of Activision" is calculating whether I deserve a kill in that moment based on how well I am or aren't doing in that particular game at that particular moment.

Yeah that’s just lag, I don’t buy for a second there is in game bias in gun fights - it would be easy to prove and kill the franchise when the youtubers got wind of it!

Spot on about the maps, there are some very weak ones and it’s a shame as I think it plays a good game.

Last night I was given the Christmas gift of a 22 killstreak on Nuketown while capturing and defending the B flag. That’s my highest streak in this game so far. And if I hadn’t decided to napalm the B flag while still contesting it, it could have gone even better.

2020 isn’t just there for the bad things in life. Three cheers for everyone needing to be extra drunk to get through this holiday.

I hadn't noticed that many campers and bumper jumping dick weasels. It's definitely less camptacular than MW in TDM.

CDKeys have the cross gen bundle for series for 45 quid (which @Ry mentioned) but I think the enjoyment I was getting from the week-long trial was just the newness of it. The maps are all over the place on quality, there's not many of the and the gunplay doesn't feel that great. Not awful by any means, but not worth shelling 45 quid for. 

35 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I hadn't noticed that many campers and bumper jumping dick weasels. It's definitely less camptacular than MW in TDM.

CDKeys have the cross gen bundle for series for 45 quid (which @Ry mentioned) but I think the enjoyment I was getting from the week-long trial was just the newness of it. The maps are all over the place on quality, there's not many of the and the gunplay doesn't feel that great. Not awful by any means, but not worth shelling 45 quid for. 

I'm really enjoying it but yeah you are right the core maps are not brilliant. There are 4 i really like and the rest are a bit average. 

But then I noticed Firefight has its own set of smaller crazy maps, the game show one is amazing. 

Then I played some mode which was a mini battle royal style where you drop in and get plunder (like plunder in warzonw funilly enough) it was madness. 

The game has much more to offer than I initially thought playing the trial. And it's the only Cod multiplayer I have enjoyed in over a decade. 

Haven’t enjoyed MP COD this much since MW2. I’ve finally managed to start running my Thermal/LMG class (Thermal scope is Level 55) which is great for Domination on Nuketown.

Smoke cover on B and then it becomes a bit of a duck shoot as the opposition come running down the alley towards B.

12 minutes ago, Bleeders said:

Haven’t enjoyed MP COD this much since MW2. I’ve finally managed to start running my Thermal/LMG class (Thermal scope is Level 55) which is great for Domination on Nuketown.

Smoke cover on B and then it becomes a bit of a duck shoot as the opposition come running down the alley towards B.

Add me if you fancy a game sometime. Would like to actually play with some people rather than randoms. 

Gtag - RYAN WHITELAW 

Activision Id - ryangwhitelaw

On 24/12/2020 at 21:18, AfromB said:

Isn’t all of that just the shitty implementation of lag compensation in cod games rather than some ninja like programming that makes such decisions on the fly. 

Yeah I thought so at first but there are videos from CoD YouTubers showing that SBMM actually affects your ping directly as well. So it's definitely connected.

Basically, a group of CoD YouTubers did a study on SBMM in Cold War and found that, amongst other things, one of their discoveries was that the better you are at the game the worse you will ping will be as the game tries to "balance" out gunfights so you don't dominate all the time. It's explained in the video below and others made by Drift0r, JGOD..

I haven’t watched the video yet (no time at the minute but will do later), but isn’t that just because there’s a smaller pool of players at the top end to match with and therefore your less likely to get a decent connection rather than any other shenanigans? 

There’s no way in a million years that they’re micromanaging the game for individual players to the extent that they’re putting your aim off for specific kills or artificially increasing your ping. It’s pure magical thinking. It’s like examining the distribution of rolling 2d6, and concluding the dice are artificially increasing the number of times you roll seven to keep you playing, as seven is associated with luck. 

I’m about 30 hours into Zombies and MP. The past few days have been painful for crashes. I was on a Zombies high round with a nice group and it just completely froze I made a cuppa tea and eventually it went to PS Home Screen. I’m getting kicked out of approx 1 in 3 MP games it just says error message and back to the lobby. 

Hopefully it’ll get a fix soon as I’m really enjoying it. Anyone fancy joining me most evenings beyond 9-10pm add me Baring7usa. 

22 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Same. I ended up caving on the CD Keys offer because I'm a prick and it's been solid as fuck. I can't tell the difference between the 'last' gen and the Series version, mind. I only know it's the right version because it's got a ray tracing on/off option in the menu.

If you pause the game and zoom in x10 you can see slightly straighter lines and shadows, probably

So I find I’m not playing long stints of this online on my own, as it’s stressful :lol: but it is very good and very slick (Series X).  I’ve been playing a playlist of all modes basically and I had a domination map with 6 points today, first time, all spread out on a big ol’ map.  Reminded me of Battlefield and it was really, really cool!  Have to do a bit more of those.

Did another mission on single player campaign too, think I made a bad choice in it but nevermind.

5 minutes ago, sprite said:

So I find I’m not playing long stints of this online on my own, as it’s stressful :lol: but it is very good and very slick (Series X).  I’ve been playing a playlist of all modes basically and I had a domination map with 6 points today, first time, all spread out on a big ol’ map.  Reminded me of Battlefield and it was really, really cool!  Have to do a bit more of those.

Did another mission on single player campaign too, think I made a bad choice in it but nevermind.

Hit me up if you fancy teaming up. Be nice to play with some people here even though my begging falls on deaf ears lol