Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Noted: thanks

Yeah that is what I meant about cancelling out of matches - it just eats up so much time when you should be playing, hence my conservative 5th estimate of time wasted due to the poor lobby structure in favour of playlists.

18 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Yeah that is what I meant about cancelling out of matches - it just eats up so much time when you should be playing, hence my conservative 5th estimate of time wasted due to the poor lobby structure in favour of playlists.

I am a bit baffled by the MP system myself, I'd think a game of such a prodigiously huge player base could deal with people being able to specify their own maps to play on. But given they don't I personally just roll with it, I think you'd be better off going with the flow and just playing what it serves up to you. Better for the old blood pressure at any rate.

Yeah I just play the maps I hate to keep with a consistent matchmaking time. There's no maps I particularly hate, but I only tend to play Domination anyway.

I can't wait for season reset. I paid for the battle pass up front with points from last season because I want that Iskra skin at 90 but I've pretty much ejected all FOMO now so once it's done with I can feel better about not grinding the living shit out of it.

I pre-ordered this a couple of weeks ago because I knew I'd end up buying it eventually, I really loved the first black ops. After watching some youtube videos of the gameplay and I've cancelled the pre-order. It looks absolutely terrible, which is a real shame. I can always buy it if it turns out to be ok, but as it stands I can't see them improving it too much before the release date and I think I'll skip this one.

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

Anyone managed to get a game working on the alpha yet ?

I had a go, played a round of domination on the Miami map, feels absolutely horrible. Map is rubbish, bullet impacts are a massive step backwards as is the animation, it all feels really clunky, and the weapons feel horrible to me. This cant be the same engine as MW?

You can tell MW was built from the ground on up and definitely not developed over 12 months, this feels like ET on the Atari dev time in comparison. They can sugar coat this all they like with paid off hype streamers but the bottom line is its an utterly inferior product and game compared to the rebirth of the last.

Just managed to get a game on the satellite map. It feels different alright, faster and more arcade like, and I think it does use a different engine. 

The map was terrible. Awful spawns and choke points. 

52 minutes ago, Dave White said:

I had a go, played a round of domination on the Miami map, feels absolutely horrible. Map is rubbish, bullet impacts are a massive step backwards as is the animation, it all feels really clunky, and the weapons feel horrible to me. This cant be the same engine as MW?

You can tell MW was built from the ground on up and definitely not developed over 12 months, this feels like ET on the Atari dev time in comparison. They can sugar coat this all they like with paid off hype streamers but the bottom line is its an utterly inferior product and game compared to the rebirth of the last.

Couldn't agree more. It feels like a game that came out years ago. It's clunky, sounds rough, looks messy, and just generally doesn't play well. I don't like the way all of your guns work fine under water. Head shots are stupid easy to pull off with the sniper rifles, it seems the hit boxes are wank.

I watched videos from Jackfrags, Eclusiveace and Marley13 and not one of them was exactly enthusiastic about it. The 5 flag dom mode looks absolutely terrible compared to ground war, I just can't see how it's going to be fun to play. The maps are too small for the squad spawning and flag spawning mechanics, but look a bit big to be running around from flag to flag, and I suspect they're going to be very frustrating.

This is really weird to play after MW.

I'd dipped out of cod for years but decided to give the MW demo (let's please stop calling these fucking things alphas and betas it's a month and a half from release) a go and it was so refreshing after blops 4.

This.... Ugh. This feels like a huge step back. MW was so polished, so refined. This feels clunky and there's something off about it.

I just hope MW is supported after this comes out.

Why couldn't these Treyarch fuckers just come out with 15 new multiplayer maps for MW instead?  The MW engine is miles better in terms of graphics, movement and overall gameplay.

This yearly cycle that Activision forces upon its devs is really hurting the franchise I feel.

I've still bought it as COD is what I mostly play online with my friends, but don't really have high hopes.  Fingers crossed the game comes with a new Warzone map.

Much prefer this to the MW camper fest that I just haven’t liked.  

This is back to black ops 4 feel and I love it.  Feels like a proper COD, fast paced and fun. 

I suppose there are two different styles of CoD now and I prefer the BOPs model.

had one more go, was on the ship map, I have no idea what they've  done to the shooting mechanics but it just feels horrible, the sniping is terrible compared to other games in the series . im no 14 year old quick scoper but I can hold my own and I cant hit a thing on this . I cant even see anyone half the time. That map makes the awful Miami map look like Terminal in comparison.

Sad day as its the first time since the series began when I havent spent the afternoon rinsing the Alpha with excitement and enjoyment, very much looking forward to the release rather than pressing delete which ive just done.

Nothing worse than a thread grumbler but jesus theyve fucked this up so bad.

Firstly it has to be said that it is appreciated that they have released a demo (alpha whatever) for everyone to try out. This is so rare these days.

It's very fast isn't it? You are at the mercy of the internet speed here. "I see someone, unload 5 bullets in quick succession, they are surely dead! - they fire once, you die instantly" - watch the reply, you barely got a shot in.  I'm not on bad broadband by any means, usually around 70+Mbps d/l

Playing it wise, the weapons feel all the same. They appear to have the same fire rate (bloody fast) and some of the non-sniper models have ridiculous range. 

The sound - if its either the sound design or the mix, it's by far the worst thing about this game. It does nothing to communicate to you WTF is going on, but still makes stupid little chirps of something or other every few seconds that make no sense to me. Grenades fall in silence, explosions are weak, it's all very limp and unexciting.

Gameplay was largely unsatisfying I would say overall. I'll be surprised if anyone comes away from it feeling anything other than underwhelmed. 

Positives where the lobby system, everyone stayed together after a match and starting up of a new match was really quick in comparison to MW.

There is no doubt going to be a lot of content and tweaking happening for the next 12 months with this, so I'll never say never. I'd probably jump in for £25-30 and get some good value out of it, but never at launch or full price. I think I paid £35 for MW a few months after release and it's been my most played game this year by a long chalk, and I only play FFA! 

4 hours ago, englishbob said:

Firstly it has to be said that it is appreciated that they have released a demo (alpha whatever) for everyone to try out. This is so rare these days.

It's very fast isn't it? You are at the mercy of the internet speed here. "I see someone, unload 5 bullets in quick succession, they are surely dead! - they fire once, you die instantly" - watch the reply, you barely got a shot in.  I'm not on bad broadband by any means, usually around 70+Mbps d/l

Playing it wise, the weapons feel all the same. They appear to have the same fire rate (bloody fast) and some of the non-sniper models have ridiculous range. 

The sound - if its either the sound design or the mix, it's by far the worst thing about this game. It does nothing to communicate to you WTF is going on, but still makes stupid little chirps of something or other every few seconds that make no sense to me. Grenades fall in silence, explosions are weak, it's all very limp and unexciting.

Gameplay was largely unsatisfying I would say overall. I'll be surprised if anyone comes away from it feeling anything other than underwhelmed. 

Positives where the lobby system, everyone stayed together after a match and starting up of a new match was really quick in comparison to MW.

There is no doubt going to be a lot of content and tweaking happening for the next 12 months with this, so I'll never say never. I'd probably jump in for £25-30 and get some good value out of it, but never at launch or full price. I think I paid £35 for MW a few months after release and it's been my most played game this year by a long chalk, and I only play FFA! 

Welcome to the world of lag compensation. 

I don't get people saying it's very fast. To me it felt slow as fuck. 

For all of its problems, MW is silky smooth, with vaulting, sprinting, super fast ads, constant kill streaks hitting you. Depending on the map it could be a total ADHD speed fest.

This on the other hand feels so much slower. No vaulting, no sprinting, animations feel slower, throwing grenades takes a few seconds, there's hardly any kill streaks. The whole pase of the game is pulled back.

I can't comment on TTK since I normally play hardcore which is usually a 1-2 bullet kill, but everything else about cold war feels way slower.

I tried to give it some more time today. Uninstalled it. It's shite. No wonder Activision are starting to lock demos behind pre-orders. That way they can lock in a sale. I would have dropped £65 on this if I hadn't played it first.

Cheers for the saving Acti.

• 3 weeks later...

New Beta that is free for all players this weekend on PS4. It started at 6pm Saturday so is expected to still run until Monday 6pm I reckon. No pre-order bullshit required

Next week too I understand for all platforms (including PS4 again) 

At the risk of making an entirely redundant post (too late) I genuinely couldn't care less. The more I read about it the better I feel about my abstinence of this.

Here, have something about SBMM (which I'm all for if it pisses off the ganking ubermensch cunts that don't like being schooled by better players) just so I'm not an old man screaming at clouds:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-10-sbmm-trends-as-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-beta-players-resort-to-killing-themselves-yet-again

Surely all Treyarch have to do is set it up so that every player is matched with a team who are all worse than they are? Every player gets a satisfying game where they stomp the opposition, everyone wins. Literally!

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

At the risk of making an entirely redundant post (too late) I genuinely couldn't care less. The more I read about it the better I feel about my abstinence of this.

Here, have something about SBMM (which I'm all for if it pisses off the ganking ubermensch cunts that don't like being schooled by better players) just so I'm not an old man screaming at clouds:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-10-sbmm-trends-as-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-beta-players-resort-to-killing-themselves-yet-again

Of course you can read about it, or play the beta for bugger all money and see what you think.

Personally I don't understand most of what the jargon means with the game to be honest, for me it's a bit of light rage relief in a lunch hour where I can play free-for-all and shoot people.

Certainly my experience with the alpha/betas for this game so far are:

* Turn off Crossplay

* I found spotting enemy players is harder than the recent MW. In the latter if your crosshair managed to cross the path of an enemy player, the name would appear above their head. Not in this one, making it harder to spot other players. Not a bad thing.

* All weapon ranges are ridiculously long and accurate. And I mean ridiculous

* The sound effects are shit

Of the series' health in general though, I am fucking sick of bunny hopping players with a one shot kill sniper rifles. Quick scoping too should have been stamped out years ago, its nonsense

It's just endemic in the game design now. The returning player base wants the quickscoping, bunny hopping, dolphin diving bullshit or they wouldn't keep putting it back in. I don't think I'm bonkers for remembering at the beginning of MW's life there was a significant reduction in all that bullshit which gradually got worse as it went on. I think it's what @Dave White has mentioned a couple of times.

It's a damn shame.

I recall the first real game breaking they introduced was in MW2 with tactical insertion and allowing it into Free For All games. 2 friends would buddy up and just throw that down, shoot and respawn and repeat until calling the nuke and finishing the game. FFA mode ended up becoming hunt down and destroy the fucking cheaters. 

There are quite a few things in these games that I think are totally daft, such as running around in complete silence. Its bullshit IMO. Jumping obviously will stay, but make it almost impossible to get a decent shot off if you do it, it's just twattish and something you couldn't possibly do for real, like running like Usain Bolt at full speed but making no sound whatsoever.