Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

2 hours ago, spanx said:

Got this free so banged it on for an hour and it’s pretty good. My daughter is staying with me and I let her name my character. 

Currently tearing through Vietnam as elite MI6 agent Barry Carrots. 

:lol:

6 hours ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Really is the best campaign since, errr, a long long time.

For me,  this is the best campaign since COD4.  Truly epic and hopefully people don't overlook it and just focus on multiplayer.

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

Not exclusively  

The frame rate dips in places and makes everything subtly shake and feel like your wading through treacle. 
It’s game breaking in a FPS shooter especially trying to snipe. 

I must say, I haven't experienced these frame dips at all but then again I don't snipe.

Apparently the frame rate on PS5 and XBSX are butter smooth.

So I was pondering getting this (as my SO and I always enjoy the campaign), but I'm holding fire for the PS5 version, those videos showing the triggers look awesome.

Hilarious how the 'elite-pros' will hate them for lower the skill ceiling, but in terms of immersive fun that looks ace. Still sniper rifles and bucking machine guns sounds genuinely next gen.

I'm (delivery gods being kind) hoping to be lucky enough to choose either the X or the PS5 version, but those triggers have won me over the extra oomph the X has.

Well after playing CoD every year since the very first version I think this could finally be it 

hates last years so carried on with BO4. But barely anyone on that so was hoping this new BO would be similar but the maps are dreadful. 

like playing FFA but it’s all camping and scoping.  Needs new maps quick. 

8 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

So I was pondering getting this (as my SO and I always enjoy the campaign), but I'm holding fire for the PS5 version, those videos showing the triggers look awesome.

You can just buy the cross gen bundle already, and it'll run on both. PS4 and PS5.

2 hours ago, Omizzay said:

You can just buy the cross gen bundle already, and it'll run on both. PS4 and PS5.

Yeah, but I want that fancy trigger goodness. I'll wait till release. In fact I might wait till over xmas as then me and my partner could play the co-op stuff together. I'll have Demon Souls, Spider-man, and Astro-bot to play through as well. Oh and I'm talkin' bout Bugsnax.

Doesn't this always happen on the internet on release ? "Don't buy this shit, the story is any 2 hours long etc." I never believe any of it. 

My Thursday-sent physical copy from SimplyGames turned up today. Installation from disc took about 35 minutes, then a further 20++ GB v1.05 download and apply. All in then a 2 hour install on PS4, and even when you boot up you find the Campaign hasn't been installed yet! 

Not to worry, straight into MP. It feels a bit tighter than the beta, and the sound mix does seem to have been improved. For possibility the first time, footsteps can be heard loud and clear. 

As usual for this game, stats are everything, it loves to tell me how I'm doing at the end of the match. Why then does it fucking join me to a match already in progress with about 4 minutes left on the clock and I'm behind about 14 kills? This is bollocks, but to be fair it was also the same for MW. 

There is a lot that is copied from MW, the menu in particular, still overheats the PS4 Pro fan on the lobby screen. I've no idea why the developers don't fix this, its farcical. 

The main area of gunplay that I like is (so far, until patched out by codplainers) the bullet impacts seem to cut dead all the stupid bunny hopping and sliding that made MW so wank in the end. Try it here and you'll be plucked out of the sky in a hail of gunfire, unable to return anything back. Good.

After the long install, I've only managed about an hour, had to retire as it gave me a bout of motion sickness. This seems common for me with a new FPS.

This will be my lockdown game for the next few weeks, but remains to be seen if I give it the same amount of months as I did with MW, warts and all.

The only major gripe so far is the same gripe as MW and that is the overheating PS4 Pro on the lobby screens. It's a lot worse here though, as soon as it starts to struggle the menus become very unresponsive and its like navigating through some really old menu system for the PC days of old. "Did I press the back button nothing has happened? I'll press it again, oh fuck now its buffered 2 commands over the space of 10 seconds and now I've quit out of the mode I'm in" 

I have no idea why they can't fix this bloody fault.

The MP is so much faster to get up and running though. I reckon its saved about a third of my time versus the MW system of play. I'm able to just get playing, it's (at the moment) so much more immediate a playing experience to just be playing rather than a lot of hanging around and pausing / timer countdowns etc. 

Is this worth me getting just for the single player? I mean, it’s not I know as it’s expensive, but if I’m feeling silly and want something shiny to romp through, is it decent for that?

I don’t really do the online shooty stuff. 

36 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Is this worth me getting just for the single player? I mean, it’s not I know as it’s expensive, but if I’m feeling silly and want something shiny to romp through, is it decent for that?

It'll be discounted before Christmas, if you're not that fussed wait till then.

55 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I enjoyed it but it's short.