rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

You can set the rate of turn in the options, I have it on 15, not sure if that's the lowest or if you can set to 0 for smooth turning. @Thor

EDIT* Just checked, 15 is the lowest so not full smooth turning. Option is in preferences.

I think this is the most believable game world I've ever encountered. Yes a large part of that is going to be due to it being VR but the fidelity and world/graphics are through the roof. Nice interactivity too. Drew a big cock and balls with a felt tip on the window at the start. And I don't even want to check my undies after going out onto the terrace only to be surprised by that big lumbering bastard traversing the roof.

Special.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, iwan_canobi said:

What movement modes are people using? I'm using blink along with a decent sized room for moving around in. Tried continuous but it made me nauseous almost instantly.

Im on continuous move and standing up using my small space for roomscale movement for crouching, turning on the spot and peering over & around objects 

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Snap! Although I did get a warning about low GPU memory, but my graphics card has 11gb of RAM.  Did you manage to get smooth turning switched on? I couldn't see an option.

I just physically turn on the spot although the Vive cable gets annoying twisting around my feet

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

Snap! Although I did get a warning about low GPU memory, but my graphics card has 11gb of RAM.  Did you manage to get smooth turning switched on? I couldn't see an option.

I got that warming too. 16gb of ram on mine but seems pretty smooth.

Yep I get it too but it runs equally well on all settings.

Pretty impressed with myself there. Just spent a solid hour twenty with all the usual in game nausea triggers enabled and I feel fine. Not a hint of iffiness, and this is someone who needs to lay down for an age after ten minutes in Dreadhalls on my Gear VR. Well played to Valve but deffo think me crunching two ginger tabs helped.

A quick breather then back in.

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Makes the quest such a great value VR solution.

Can you elaborate on this a bit please? - It still needs (i assume) a monster PC so why is it such great value?

A bit jerky at some points for me but totally playable, and it’s bloody amazing!

How do you go about changing your height? I was far too tall for some reason and had to play sitting down as a result. 

9 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Can you elaborate on this a bit please? - It still needs (i assume) a monster PC so why is it such great value?

Because it's a twofer. PC and standalone. 

Height is one of the Preferences, you can set it to match if you're stood up or sat down. You can toggle stood\crouch with the left stick press on Oculus controllers.

Just sunk a few hours in, runs and looks lovely on Quest via Link, really impressed. Some of the Oculus games aren't smooth (Asgards Wrath) on the same setup, so given it's running both Steam and Oculus VR at the same time is impressive.

Controls taking a while to get used too, I keep accidentally jumping as pushing down on the right stick is close to fetching up the quick switch menu, I also keep forgetting to arm the pistol after a reload... 

It's a proper game though, not dived into something this good on VR since Resident Evil on PSVR, weirdly it reminds me of that as you have to keep on top of ammo and well, let's just say you need to aim accurately which isn't half tricky when you are hoping away from those little bastards.

If my face didn't hurt so from the Quest I'd still be in there, but three hours was enough for today! Comfort mods now enroute!

• Upvote 1

The smooth turning is a known issue apparently they are working on a hot fix for it. I’ve persevered through it though, been playing it standing as it felt more intuitive to do so.

Using the environment for cover to take pot shots at the combine firing at you. I’ve even thrown gas cans in an area where there’s a few enemies to take a shot at them to take them out.

just feels so natural and easy to do.

It gets intense when you are surrounded, as quick and easy it is to learn to reload, the intensity comes about when you need to do this when there’s enemies around. Makes you feel in the moment and thinking quite literally on your feet.

Been playing it for about 5 hours, have to take a break. As I’m feeling nauseous and getting earache from cca c10 headphones.

• Upvote 1

Yeah aiming is one thing, never though I’d have to close one eye to aim down a sight in a video game. But it feels like the shots that I am taking feel realistic. 

• Upvote 1

Played another hour or so and it's still incredible. Its just a believable world somehow, moreso than anything I've encountered before. All of the assets look just right.

My face hurts though and my cat managed to jump on my laptop and turn it off mid way through me being attacked by a headcrab, so figure that's a good place to stop for now...

So far, so so good.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Because it runs as a stand alone device independently of a monster PC. But then when you plug it into a moderately powerful PC its a fucking great headset in its own right. Crisp, beautiful display (much, much better than the HTC Vive and PSVR) and great tracking without much faff (the vive was very faffy).

I can only imagine how great this is on an Index..

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

A bit jerky at some points for me but totally playable, and it’s bloody amazing!

How do you go about changing your height? I was far too tall for some reason and had to play sitting down as a result. 

There does seem to be a bug, for a while I was way too short and no amount of changing settings or turning crouch on/off worked. As soon as I hit a load it fixed itself. 

• Upvote 1

Blasting 3 zombies in the head(crab) in a panicked spin,  just after I had loaded up the shotgun.  I know its a set piece - but DAMN that felt good! :-)

• Upvote 2

One small niggle, I don't like that at certain points you can only use teleportation to proceed I.e climbing into Russell's apartment/lab and a couple of other points.  I'd prefer either to physically crouch/crawl under low obstacles or use the ladder climbing mechanic to climb into windows.

also the long loading between areas.  These are jarring and take me out of the world.

edit:  also lack of being able to store weapons or certain items visiblly on your person like on on a belt rather than a quick select menu would of been better for VR immersion  .  Onward and Pavlov do this 

Someone on another forum posted this:

I just smacked a headcrab off a table with a keyboard. That sounds really simple, but the way it felt was godlike. The impact was powerful as it knocked off a lamp and cupholder. The debris was flung into the shadows realistically. I couldn't find the headcrab to save my life for several seconds. It made me feel like that scene in Aliens were Ripley is trying to protect Newt in the lab from the facehugger. God damn this is intense.

I don't think this kind of immersion would have been possible on a flat screen and controller. I had a similar instance with a head crab while fumbling about reloading. Next level immersion.

Put you hands up if you ;)

Spoiler

Put your hands up in surrender as an automatic response to the combine holding you at gun point in the lift

• Upvote 8

Ah shit, you lot are making me want to play this now. What’s the best way to go about it?

I’ve got a 2019 MacBook Pro and an eGPU with a 1080ti, but no VR equipment. What’s the cheapest/easiest/best way to get in on the action?

Yeah this is the pinacle of VR gaming so far for sure.

The detail is insane, the first scene is jaw dropping, then you pull up the arial on the radio and it just feels... natural. Look closely at the gravity gloves or the health machine workings... wow. I mean a lot of it is disgusting but wonderfully so.  The simplest thing is a delight, picking up a box and shaking out the contents to get some ammo. Or casually flicking up a clip using the gravity glove and reloading. 

The atmposphere is amazing.

Yes there are niggles , I feel like the hand stuff isnt QUITE as good as it would be on the index. some of the jumping / vaulting stuff is a little wierd, objects do clip through stuff even though the physics is sublime most of the time.

My main problem is the quest gaurdian is popping up all the time as I reach for stuff as my play area is small. I really want to be playing it untethered.

• Upvote 1

It's easy enough to play untethered using virtual desktop - hands feel a tiny bit less responsive but you can spin around to your heart's content and there's no noticeable lag on the head movement for me so it's still pretty great. I posted a video on how to do it upthread.

I'm going to try the beta version of virtual deskop streamer here which is meant to improve hand jitter in SteamVR. Same instructions as the video earlier but with a new APK file and beta version of the streamer runner in my system tray. Will report back...

• Upvote 1

Damn I wish I could play this. I don’t have a gaming PC. Nor can I afford one. The Half Life series is my all time favourite, I’m loving reading the impressions in here though, it looks fantastic. Hopefully after the lockdown I will have some spare cash to get all rigged up. 

*Narrator* “He won’t”.

Some of the videos are amazing, the way it all just works, it’s Valve all over, just fantastic stuff. 

My point is, I’m delighted those that are playing this are enjoying it, and I’m genuinely loving reading your impressions. But simultaneously go fuck yourselves. :)  

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, simms said:

One small niggle, I don't like that at certain points you can only use teleportation to proceed I.e climbing into Russell's apartment/lab and a couple of other points.  I'd prefer either to physically crouch/crawl under low obstacles or use the ladder climbing mechanic to climb into windows.

also the long loading between areas.  These are jarring and take me out of the world.

edit:  also lack of being able to store weapons or certain items visiblly on your person like on on a belt rather than a quick select menu would of been better for VR immersion  .  Onward and Pavlov do this 

I’m running it on a ssd and haven’t found loading times to be an issue. :huh:

I've got a PC that could do with a graphics upgrade (Geforce 980) but otherwise is plenty powerful. I have a small room so I don't really think tracking base stations are an option and I'm only going to get about a step in each direction. 

Is there a definitive "you almost certainly should choose THIS VR headset and controllers" choice for me? I find it a bit bewildering, which so far is making me just want to leave it til next year or something. But the game is tempting me back in. But the Corona shit is telling me I need to save money. but... etc.

4 minutes ago, milko said:

Is there a definitive "you almost certainly should choose THIS VR headset and controllers" choice for me? I find it a bit bewildering, which so far is making me just want to leave it til next year or something. But the game is tempting me back in. But the Corona shit is telling me I need to save money. but... etc.

If you don't want basestations then you are looking at headsets with Inside-Out tracking, so your best options are Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest or HTC Vive Cosmos. The Oculus products are about £400, whereas the Cosomos is £700 quid.

• Upvote 1

How available are new VR headsets anyway? I checked a few stores there for Oculus products and none had any. 

8 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

If you don't want basestations then you are looking at headsets with Inside-Out tracking, so your best options are Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest or HTC Vive Cosmos. The Oculus products are about £400, whereas the Cosomos is £700 quid.

Is Cosmos almost twice as good? Blimey. As @vezna says, scarcity probably means I'm gonna wait whether I like it or not.

I don't think the Cosmos has reviewed very well at all. At least initially the tracking was supposedly pretty poor.

Yeah stock seems to be very limited, the Oculus store had some Quests in stock yesterday but they are all gone now it seems

• Upvote 1