IGNORED

Half-Life: Alyx

Liamness

2 minutes ago, vezna said:

This load time talk is very confusing. I’ve no issues whatsoever running it from a SSD. It’s not an instant load between levels but you would certainly measure it in a low amount of seconds. 

I'll record the time it takes next time i'm on, but it's around 20-30 seconds. And this is on a no-slouch Samsung SSD. I'm using an Oculus Rift S, SSD and have 16GB of system RAM. Just noticed my 2060 only has 6GB though. I was sure it was 8GB :(:(:(

Also playing via SSD and load times are short and welcome tbh as a quick breather. I find it funny that the game has to load periodically, I thought we were beyond that now other than the initial load to start the game, doesn't bother me though.

10 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

Also playing via SSD and load times are short and welcome tbh as a quick breather. I find it funny that the game has to load periodically, I thought we were beyond that now other than the initial load to start the game, doesn't bother me though.

In theory I can see why it works that way. Shorter segments each within their own enclosed instance means fewer assets to be held in memory, which for VR can, I assume, be very advantageous. But I'm not a game dev, that's a whole load of supposition. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

In theory I can see why it works that way. Shorter segments each within their own enclosed instance means fewer assets to be held in memory, which for VR can, I assume, be very advantageous. But I'm not a game dev, that's a whole load of supposition. 

As a game dev I can say this is almost certainly bang on. Memory will be one issue, but framerate is probably the main thing.

38 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

So my Rift S arrived, and I've played with various demos. Bought Beat Saber and got my arse handed to me.

Do I buy this now at launch price, or wait for it to be reduced? I've enjoyed all previous games, and I'm loving VR.

Get it. Just get it. I don't think it will be reduced anytime soon, and based on my time so far it's THE thing to experience in VR.

Get it. 

Did I say get it already?

Get it.

1 hour ago, fasteasyfree said:

So my Rift S arrived, and I've played with various demos. Bought Beat Saber and got my arse handed to me.

Do I buy this now at launch price, or wait for it to be reduced? I've enjoyed all previous games, and I'm loving VR.

And 2020's daftest question goes to.... ;)

BUY IT NOW!!

1 hour ago, fasteasyfree said:

Nah wait for it to drop. They need to learn that they can’t keep diluting the Half Life universe like this, I mean Christ, the last one only came out 13 years ago. Hit them in the wallet, it’s the only way they’ll pay attention. 

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Was about to buy it on Steam when I double checked the minimum requirements.. :angry: My 980GTX isnt enough! Bah!

Have a read of this thread, I think there are some with below-spec machines that are playing it just fine. I think. :)

24 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Was about to buy it on Steam when I double checked the minimum requirements.. :angry: My 980GTX isnt enough! Bah!

I'm playing on a 980Ti and it runs superbly on Medium.  Your 980 is about the same, or probably a bit faster, than the minimum required 1060.  The only issue you may encounter is not enough VRAM on it...  Is it 3Gb?  

I'd buy it, try it, and if it doesn't work, you have Steams excellent refund policy you can make use of...

24 minutes ago, Valver said:

I'm playing on a 980Ti and it runs superbly on Medium.  Your 980 is about the same, or probably a bit faster, than the minimum required 1060.  The only issue you may encounter is not enough VRAM on it...  Is it 3Gb?  

I'd buy it, try it, and if it doesn't work, you have Steams excellent refund policy you can make use of...

4GB. And forgot about the refund policy!

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

I'm running it on a 970 & 2600k. Settings are low, apart from textures, soft cloth and rag dolls, and it runs totally fine outside of an initial burst of action be it multiple enemies appearing or an explosion but it settles down quickly; you'll be fine.

And finished. According to steam that's 13 hours of pure VR gold. An outstanding finale. :wub:

Spoiler

Jeff was probably the highlight for me. Fucking terrifying, and absolutely brilliantly done because, essentially, he's a puzzle. Dealing with Jeff turned out to be great fun, and I did have a massive lol (in hindsight) at the naughty headcrab knocking over all the bottles as you're trying to run to safety. I know I got the achievement for killing him, but that was an accident! I reloaded and then let poor Jeff out. Was hoping he'd pop up later, ah well.

The finale really was something special, the strider encounter was superb, that whole sequence after the big explosion felt like you were taking part in your very own sci-fi action movie. Just stupendous throughout, and then they give you awesome green balls of energy that make you feel like a superhero! I really wasn't expecting that ending, with the time jump to that moment. At first I was like, this isn't how Eli dies, but then the room clears and ... holy shit! See, for me that was only days prior, I finished Episode 2 just last week. So this was me: :o

So, Half-Life 3 is next, right? They have to be working on it now. Was great to see dog after the credits.

The fully upgraded pistol was tasty, but I hated the gun early on after installing the reflex sight, I'm looking forward to a replay of this without installing that daft hindrance.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

And finished. According to steam that's 13 hours of pure VR gold. An outstanding finale. :wub:

Reveal hidden contents

Jeff was probably the highlight for me. Fucking terrifying, and absolutely brilliantly done because, essentially, he's a puzzle. Dealing with Jeff turned out to be great fun, and I did have a massive lol (in hindsight) at the naughty headcrab knocking over all the bottles as you're trying to run to safety. I know I got the achievement for killing him, but that was an accident! I reloaded and then let poor Jeff out. Was hoping he'd pop up later, ah well.

The finale really was something special, the strider encounter was superb, that whole sequence after the big explosion felt like you were taking part in your very own sci-fi action movie. Just stupendous throughout, and then they give you awesome green balls of energy that make you feel like a superhero! I really wasn't expecting that ending, with the time jump to that moment. At first I was like, this isn't how Eli dies, but then the room clears and ... holy shit! See, for me that was only days prior, I finished Episode 2 just last week. So this was me: :o

So, Half-Life 3 is next, right? They have to be working on it now. Was great to see dog after the credits.

The fully upgraded pistol was tasty, but I hated the gun early on after installing the reflex sight, I'm looking forward to a replay of this without installing that daft hindrance.

Any replay value? 

14 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Any replay value? 

Depends on your definition. For someone like me who enjoys playing games more than once, there's loads. But if you're looking for the game to be different every time you play ... not really. It's a very heavily scripted game, so on a replay you're going to know exactly what's coming and how things go down. 

I've had very little game time the last few days, played a few flat games and a bit of PSVR but my time with Alyx has been interrupted by real life and 

helping a few older family members out. Everyone is golden for the next seven days. 

I'm heading to the shops for personal stuff and I'm going to treat myself to some shit hot booze and grub. Then I'm home and playing Alyx for the rest of the day.

Thread has got me hyped.