Jump to content
rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

Recommended Posts

I've been watching a full run through of the game over the last couple of days and the thing that strikes me is that even if modders do release a standalone flat screen version, I honestly can't see any point in doing so at all. The VR aspect is utterly integral. Whilst I doubt I'll ever be able to use VR (certainly not with the present tech), I can imagine what people are going through as they play it, and I'm very jealous indeed. It looks like it's a pretty magical (albeit pant-shitting!) experience. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The holographic type puzzles wouldn’t work outside VR for a start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vezna said:

The holographic type puzzles wouldn’t work outside VR for a start. 

Especially the trip-mine ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Especially the trip-mine ones.


Am I being overly sensitive or should that be spoilered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Am I being overly sensitive or should that be spoilered?

That's a reasonable question. I'd say if you really didn't want to know something like that, you shouldn't be in the thread until you've finished the game. Puzzles are introduced very early on, and trip-mines are in all the Half-Life games.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Playing HL: Alyx in flatscreen, would be like watching Star Wars in black and white, with no sound, and one eye closed. 

 

Only worse.

 

And I think it would be fairly boring in a lot of ways! It's a Half-Life game, but not a Half-Life game as far as I can see.

 

If that makes any sense whatsoever.

 

(Probably not)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any recommendations for a YouTube play through that really shows off some of the cool stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Broker said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a YouTube play through that really shows off some of the cool stuff?

 

I don't have huge experience, but the ones I've watched are here:

 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1bwliGvJogr7cWK0nT2Eag

 

(that's his main page - there's quite a lot of different options to go through, but in general he seems to be pretty good)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not watched this one, but really like the guy's stuff so expect it's great:

 

 

The Gman review is also up, but CHOCK FULL OF SPOILERS so don't watch this until you've completed the game (which is a bit pointless...)

 

He echoes the issues with crazy-slow load times, and before I clicked off - as he seemed determined to show every quirk and secret going - he says the same thing I've said, that it's nothing revalatory in terms of controls and physics, but it's graphically amazing, extremely polished, and the universe and world-building is incredible.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Treble said:

I nothing revalatory in terms of controls and physics, but it's graphically amazing, extremely polished, and the universe and world-building is incredible.

Agree with that, there's very little in the game that is mechanically new, but the game does innovate. And yes it's a visual masterclass, a perfect example of what VR is capable of. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This load time talk is very confusing. I’ve no issues whatsoever running it from a SSD. It’s not an instant load between levels but you would certainly measure it in a low amount of seconds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, same here. Maybe it's as much as 20-30 seconds at points, but I'm happy with the breather tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vezna said:

This load time talk is very confusing. I’ve no issues whatsoever running it from a SSD. It’s not an instant load between levels but you would certainly measure it in a low amount of seconds. 

 

I'll record the time it takes next time i'm on, but it's around 20-30 seconds. And this is on a no-slouch Samsung SSD. I'm using an Oculus Rift S, SSD and have 16GB of system RAM. Just noticed my 2060 only has 6GB though. I was sure it was 8GB :(:(:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye, on an NVME here and it's 10 seconds or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not noticed it too much either, I find it's a nice break to get centered back in the room and have a wee gander at the map to see where you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

yeah load times haven't been much of issue for me... maybe 10-15 secs (on an apple ssd).

 

just wish I could get Virtual Desktop working...

I had to turn of my DMZ and it worked fine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also playing via SSD and load times are short and welcome tbh as a quick breather. I find it funny that the game has to load periodically, I thought we were beyond that now other than the initial load to start the game, doesn't bother me though.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

Also playing via SSD and load times are short and welcome tbh as a quick breather. I find it funny that the game has to load periodically, I thought we were beyond that now other than the initial load to start the game, doesn't bother me though.

In theory I can see why it works that way. Shorter segments each within their own enclosed instance means fewer assets to be held in memory, which for VR can, I assume, be very advantageous. But I'm not a game dev, that's a whole load of supposition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thor said:

In theory I can see why it works that way. Shorter segments each within their own enclosed instance means fewer assets to be held in memory, which for VR can, I assume, be very advantageous. But I'm not a game dev, that's a whole load of supposition. 

 

As a game dev I can say this is almost certainly bang on. Memory will be one issue, but framerate is probably the main thing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my Rift S arrived, and I've played with various demos. Bought Beat Saber and got my arse handed to me.

 

Do I buy this now at launch price, or wait for it to be reduced? I've enjoyed all previous games, and I'm loving VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

So my Rift S arrived, and I've played with various demos. Bought Beat Saber and got my arse handed to me.

 

Do I buy this now at launch price, or wait for it to be reduced? I've enjoyed all previous games, and I'm loving VR.

 

Get it. Just get it. I don't think it will be reduced anytime soon, and based on my time so far it's THE thing to experience in VR.

 

Get it. 

 

 

Did I say get it already?

 

Get it.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fasteasyfree said:

So my Rift S arrived, and I've played with various demos. Bought Beat Saber and got my arse handed to me.

 

Do I buy this now at launch price, or wait for it to be reduced? I've enjoyed all previous games, and I'm loving VR.

And 2020's daftest question goes to.... ;)

 

BUY IT NOW!!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fasteasyfree said:

 

Do I buy this now at launch price, or wait for it to be reduced? I've enjoyed all previous games, and I'm loving VR.

 

Nah wait for it to drop. They need to learn that they can’t keep diluting the Half Life universe like this, I mean Christ, the last one only came out 13 years ago. Hit them in the wallet, it’s the only way they’ll pay attention. 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was about to buy it on Steam when I double checked the minimum requirements.. :angry: My 980GTX isnt enough! Bah!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lorfarius said:

Was about to buy it on Steam when I double checked the minimum requirements.. :angry: My 980GTX isnt enough! Bah!

Have a read of this thread, I think there are some with below-spec machines that are playing it just fine. I think. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was stood by the kettle and sort of gestured towards the fridge and was a bit surprised that I did not appear at the fridge!


Real life is boring!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.