rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

What upgrades are recommended? Best spoiler them. I was saving up for ages and finally saw upgrade station #3 at the end of chapter 3. 

So I spunked a load on:

Spoiler

The pistol laser sight

Which I have not regretted one iota. Obvs I'd like the:

Spoiler

Larger ammo clip

But should I save up for the:

Spoiler

Grenade launcher on shotty

Or is there something for the

Spoiler

assault rifle

coming up that's even more crucial? 

• Upvote 1

I'm currently working my way through the hotel. The game keeps getting better and better. I've been playing for about an hour at a time and then taking a break between sections. Some really hairy moments fumbling with reloads :)

Biggest issue I have is dropping ammo over my shoulder seems a bit hit and miss. A lot of the time it just falls behind me.

• Upvote 1

@Treble

Spoiler

I found the shotgun was better for closer encounters, so upgrades weren't really necessary, though I suppose the grenade launcher (which I never tried) would prove handy against the really big Jesse Ventura motherfuckers.

You should save the upgrades for the assualt rifle. Extended mag and laser sight are a must. 

• Upvote 1

upgrades

Spoiler

The grenade launcher is fun, and gives an extra slot to carry 'nades.

Laser site for pistol and smg are good. The multi shot pistol I did not find that useful. Extra rounds for pistol and SMG are good.

The orange site (forget the name) is good for the pistol, but less for any other gun.

Laser for the shotty is a total waste.

They are stingy with the resin tho :(

• Upvote 1

I found the the orange Reflex sight to be a travesty. :lol:

Orange sight

Spoiler

I found the weak spot highlighting useful, also the dot that shows where the round will land was handy, tho the laser better.

Spoiler

I find the grenade launcher addon for the shotgun invaluable, it clearly shows where your grenade will land.

Spoiler

I'm now at the Jeff chapter, I've heard his name a lot on the interwebs, once I jump back in it will be time to see what all the fuss is about.

2 hours ago, fragglerock said:

upgrades

Hide contents

The grenade launcher is fun, and gives an extra slot to carry 'nades.

Laser site for pistol and smg are good. The multi shot pistol I did not find that useful. Extra rounds for pistol and SMG are good.

The orange site (forget the name) is good for the pistol, but less for any other gun.

Laser for the shotty is a total waste.

They are stingy with the resin tho :(

They really are! I'd argue it should be rebalanced, based on what I've encountered so far. Only up to chapter 4 though, so early days. The upgrade I've bought is a godsend. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I found the the orange Reflex sight to be a travesty. :lol:

52 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

Orange sight

Hide contents

I found the weak spot highlighting useful, also the dot that shows where the round will land was handy, tho the laser better.

To be fair, sounds like if you do laser sight then reflex sight in that order, it could well be worth it. 

28 minutes ago, Max Damage said:
  Hide contents

I find the grenade launcher addon for the shotgun invaluable, it clearly shows where your grenade will land.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm now at the Jeff chapter, I've heard his name a lot on the interwebs, once I jump back in it will be time to see what all the fuss is about.

Sounds good, but based on earlier advice it'll have to get in the queue behind assault rifle upgrades. 

I'm not spoilering that, as its inclusion is spoilered in the latest patch notes [rolleyes.gif]

>_<

Anyone heard or watched any good Half-Life: Alyx spoiler chats?

Gregg Miller and Danny O'Dwyer's chat on Kinda Funny Gamescast was excellent, but I need more.

On 29/03/2020 at 13:24, simms said:

I want to get a Quest now but god knows when they will be in stock again

keep on the stock checkers. Me and a mate both got ours this week from John Lewis but stock is only there for about an hour. 

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Fuck Jeff, this game is straight up horror most of the time, I love it. It doesn't scare me but I can see people nope'ing out quite easily especially with Jeff.

Playing using the Vive wands is a pain in the arse, so many times I have switched weapon when turning or crouched whilst trying to teleport. I've ordered the index controllers, this game has revived my interest in VR, feel kinda bad spending a lot of money during this pandemic though.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

When I panic on my Rift I either end up crouching, spining in place or randomly teleporting forward with the jump control :)

• Empathy 1

Can anyone spoiler how long this this? Just started chapter 6.

I can't believe what they have achieved here. I was kinda expecting a Batman VR type 2-3 hr experience where you go through some atmospheric areas, do some puzzles with a set pieces with enemies. Perhaps a separate shooting range kind of mode added on. Nope, this is a full-on proper game. It's insane that this kinda came out of nowhere. 

43 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Can anyone spoiler how long this this?

You're just over half way. You haven't even met Jeff yet

:)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Max Damage said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Fuck Jeff, this game is straight up horror most of the time, I love it. It doesn't scare me but I can see people nope'ing out quite easily especially with Jeff.

Playing using the Vive wands is a pain in the arse, so many times I have switched weapon when turning or crouched whilst trying to teleport. I've ordered the index controllers, this game has revived my interest in VR, feel kinda bad spending a lot of money during this pandemic though.

Im using the Index controllers with my Vive and I can imagine the Vive wands being a PITA. I'd love a wireless solution hence my interest in the Quest but I know I'd miss the open palm style of the Index controllers which are very intuitive to use in this game.  You can tell Alyx was made with them in mind.

Started the first bit with

Spoiler

The torch last night. 

fuck me that was intense. Had to psych myself up to drop into that room. 

It was the first time I’ve played a game and was proud of myself for keeping calm through a section :D

• Empathy 1

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

If you find that bit scary... 

Haha, I’m sure it gets worse!

It was ok actually and the combat was really good fun, the reloading clicked during combat and the locomotion is becoming much more comfortable. 

It was more about how much more ‘personal’ those sections are feeling in VR :)

• Upvote 1

It doesn't get worse, per se, but it gets fucking brilliant! :D

• Upvote 3

Aw man, it's a shame this isn't coming to PSVR, but with those visuals they'd probably have to cut it down quite a lot.

Can I expect amazing results if I splashed out on a VR kit for PC? 3700x, 32GB, 2070 Super here.

And which VR headset would I be after?

Oh shit yeah delivery times on things are buggered right now too.

God this game is incredible. Two hours solid today. Playing wirelessly in a fairly big area, it’s totally gamechanging being able to spin around, walk around etc. 

Here’s some testing by that BMF guy comparing Quest Link to wireless over VD. Spoilers: VD is better. 

https://youtu.be/iXkEMvMQdIc

• Upvote 3