rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

10 hours into the campaign now and utterly loving it.   Still only up to chapter 6 - 'Arms Race' - so plenty of story left ahead of me too.

Just realised you can take Steam screenshots of VR games...  

HLA Headshot.jpg

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Valver said:

10 hours into the campaign now and utterly loving it.   Still only up to chapter 6 - 'Arms Race' - so plenty of story left ahead of me too.

Just realised you can take Steam screenshots of VR games...  

HLA Headshot.jpg

Ive been wondering about that. How do you do it?

Up to chapter eight now, chapter seven was intense!

On 02/04/2020 at 15:45, Thor said:

On a different note, was playing last night, and tried to stop a door closing with my shoulder as I was reaching for something. :lol:

That's the level of fidelity, realism, and sense of place that Valve has achieved with this game. It's an astonishing achievement.

That and the sense of place VR gifts everything it touches. Not diminishing the achievements of HL: Alyx, obviously.

Started playing this after I got my Quest yesterday. Playing wirelessly via Virtual Desktop and it works surprisingly well. Well enough that I went ahead and cancelled my order for a cable capable of doing Oculus Link. Like others have said, wireless VR just feels right. Still, I can't help but wonder what this is like on an Index with the Index controllers. Not sure if the trade off for a higher resolution and better controllers (and an additional $600 for a spot on a waiting list that will probably roll into the new year ) would be able to offset the boon of Virtual Desktop. 

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Ive been wondering about that. How do you do it?

Up to chapter eight now, chapter seven was intense!

Hit F12...  I got my daughter to do it while I had the headset on.  

• Upvote 1

The more and more I play this the more space is becoming an issue for me. Some of the more open air combat arenas seem to really encourage movement, but, after slamming my body into a wall and knocking myself to the floor during one earlier fight, I've become increasingly risk averse to moving around during combat. I feel like I have a decent amount of space to move around in, but sometimes I'm playing this meta game trying to figure out where I am in my living room so I don't accidentally smash through my television. Still, with that said, when it's good it's really fucking good. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, playing it wirelessly in a big space (about a 4.5m square) and then going back to being tethered to a cable in a 2m square is night and day. 

Anyway, this video is the best thing you'll see today, I promise

• Upvote 5

On 17/04/2020 at 22:37, Super Stop and Shop said:

I feel like I have a decent amount of space to move around in, but sometimes I'm playing this meta game trying to figure out where I am in my living room so I don't accidentally smash through my television. Still, with that said, when it's good it's really fucking good. 

I was suffering from this too. I've got just shy of 3m x 3m so I knew any desperate lunge would smash a controller. So, I've bought a small, cheap bathmat and I place that down in the middle. I use this as a kind of spatial tether to know I'm in the middle of the room and safe to swing an arm out in any direction. So I play stood on the mat but know if I want to step out of cover or lean out to inspect/grab something I can do so and then re-center on the mat. As long as I feel it under my feet, I know I've got room around me.

It's not ideal but it takes all the wall fear out of the equation whilst allowing a little roomscale freedom when needed.

• Upvote 2

On the og oculus I use a boundary editor to set up my boundary with an 'arrow' at the front, so I know which side I am facing.

Also have it set to come up when I look at the floor so I can check my orientation.

It comes up a little too often, but I prefer that to punching the wall :)

Editor found here >

• Upvote 3

So, remember when I had massive problems with loading screens, and no-one else could relate?

Well, switched on today, Steam VR updated and the problem was gone!

Patch notes...?

HLA_Vindication.thumb.png.33ac79944f16fc2d2caec84295172366.png

200.gif.fc144a9e6d5e0db251185898c2325a2c.gif

• Upvote 9

It certainly is tempting, but based on what people are posting here the game works really well no matter what you own. The Rift S may be tethered, but the screens look fantastic. The Quest might not be visually cutting edge, but has an amazing untethered experience. The Index may be expensive and need external tracking, but it has the best 1:1 hand mapping and controllers.  It's all good :)

Completed the game on Normal yesterday and am going straight back in with a Hard run today. It's without doubt the best action game i've played in VR, has the best story, is by leaps and bounds the best looking non-abstract VR title, and has the most satisfying physical interactions.

If you are ok for spoilers, I'd recommend the review from UpIsNotJump who nails it. I find him funny, but if you don't and want to jump to his best insights, go to 8m38s

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Treble said:

It certainly is tempting, but based on what people are posting here the game works really well no matter what you own. The Rift S may be tethered, but the screens look fantastic. The Quest might not be visually cutting edge, but has an amazing untethered experience. The Index may be expensive and need external tracking, but it has the best 1:1 hand mapping and controllers.  It's all good :)

Completed the game on Normal yesterday and am going straight back in with a Hard run today. It's without doubt the best action game i've played in VR, has the best story, is by leaps and bounds the best looking non-abstract VR title, and has the most satisfying physical interactions.

If you are ok for spoilers, I'd recommend the review from UpIsNotJump who nails it. I find him funny, but if you don't and want to jump to his best insights, go to 8m38s

I enjoy the jump is not up videos but I'm waiting until I finish Alyx before I view it.

This is amazing. Very impressed by the beautiful interiors and general graphical fidelity.

Quick question. Does anyone play it sitting down? I noticed it can be an option, especially for long periods, but not sure if it will take away from the immersion.

• Upvote 1

Heads up this is currently in the Steam sale @ £35! With an extra £5 off making it £30! Currently downloading... :)

• Upvote 1

Downloaded. Going in today. Hope its not too scary in there....

I'm rather shocked that there may be people out there who saw a new Half Life released and thought "hmmm, I'll wait for a sale."

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Lol, Matty got his VR stuff very recently, IIRC :)

I started a second 'Hard' playthrough a few days ago, but had to give it up due to the heat. And this is with a gym fan blowing at me, even. 

Yeah I only just got the headset recently and then it seemed like I had enough to play with before I jumped in on this, and so it proved! Looking forward to starting... soon. 

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'm rather shocked that there may be people out there who saw a new Half Life released and thought "hmmm, I'll wait for a sale."

Well only just got a graphics card capable of running it and got Rift S back at the end of January. So no wasn't waiting for a sale waiting so I could play it in the way it was intended!

Sale was just the icing on the cake for me considering I got my "new* graphics card a week or two back :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Err..., it's because you need the other bits like a powerful PC, and the Valve VR kit if you want to experience the game the best way.

• Upvote 1

I hoped to have phrased it in a way that wasn't specifically having a go at MattyP. Looks like I failed miserably!

It was the sort of "guys, this is now on sale!" element that made me laugh, obviously everyone's circumstance is different, people may have just got the equipment together and £20 off is a nice bonus.

Never mind me - enjoy the game, it's absolutely fantastic.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I hoped to have phrased it in a way that wasn't specifically having a go at MattyP. Looks like I failed miserably!

It was the sort of "guys, this is now on sale!" element that made me laugh, obviously everyone's circumstance is different, people may have just got the equipment together and £20 off is a nice bonus.

Never mind me - enjoy the game, it's absolutely fantastic.

:D No worries.... Think all things are aligning in my life at the moment! :) Just had a job offer, got a cheap GPU upgrade for my PC and just was thinking feck it I'll buy some VR games before I start my new job and low and behold HL:A was in the sale and BattleZone Gold. Two games I've been wanting to play for a while! :)  Then another £5 of when buying the two games. Jeez? Not a bad month so far....So all good here....

However did think for a brief moment I know know where the "PC Master Race" phrase came from :D 

Just been on the game of an hour. Outstanding. Feel like I'm in city 17... the first time I bumped into the combine synths / police I jumped back.... :D Exceptional.

• Upvote 3

I feel like I’m not going to do well with this given how much the Valve logo screen in VR freaked me out just now. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pungee said:

I feel like I’m not going to do well with this given how much the Valve logo screen in VR freaked me out just now. 

I never thought this would be a NOPE game.  It has its moments which is amplified in VR

4 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'm one of these villains. My time has finally come. :hat:

This game. Wow just wow. Love the level of interaction in this. Just feels like another world. City 17 has never felt so oppressive!

This is a benchmark game for VR and just shows what can be done with the technology. Really impressed.

• Upvote 3

Yep, goty is likely a three way race this year between this, Last of Us 2, and Cyberpunk.

• Upvote 1