IGNORED

Final Fantasy 7 VS Skies of Arcadia

DJ Sack

Whats the best RPG ever made?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You have Final fantasy 7, one of the finest RPG's ever to come out of squaresoft, with its cyber punk feel, gorgeous graphics, characters every one loves, a storyline that has made many a grown man cry and music that just makes you want to get involved in the fights. Many crown it as the Best RPG in existance, then again it is also known as the most returned game in existance.

Skies of Arcadia, the best RPG the Dreamcast has to offer, and one that is also concidered to be the best RPG in existance by many people, a story line so full of twist and turns it makes spegetti look like a straight line, loverable characters who you really feel a part of, a story line which is actually upbeat, full of sexual enuendos, some gorgeous animations and special moves and music that really fits the whole world.

So what is the best RPG, while there are other great RPG's, none of them live up to the heights of both these games, so which one is it for you?

EDIT: Cyh, Skies is a friggin good game. It isn't all that epic, but that doesn't make it mediocre. For a RPG, Skies is a masterpiece imho.

.::: Ehm, I have it right here, so I know what I'm talking about. Personally it scores well beaneath other RPGs like Suikoden, Xenogears. Chrono Trigger and even the underrated Shadow Hearts.

Guest Two Heavens

I sometimes wonder why people hold Xenogears in such high regard. Oh well.

Anyway, if I could be bothered to vote I'd vote for Skies of Arcadia just because it's not Final Fantasy VII.

Skies and FF7 are very comparable, both turn based rpg's featuring stories, both feature similaritys, such as ramirez being almost identical to sephroth, both feature text based converstation, both are RPG's. Just because their settings are different doesnt matter, its the same as comparing Sonic to Mario.

Xenogears, I understand. But I never really liked Chrono Trigger. And I only saw Shadow Hearts.

And I have the game (Skies) too. Twice (GC-DC). Owning a game doesn't make you an expert on it.

.::: I own ICO. Thrice. On ONE system! HAH! ;)

Xenogears is a bit slow but if you like reading a lot it's great, more like an interactive novel. How one could not like Chrono Trigger is beyond me. All these years later and most RPG-develoeprs STILL havn't picked up all the brilliant ideas from that game.

Guest Penguin_Lad

FF7 and Skies felt very, very different to me to be honest. At a base level they are similar, but then so is Doom and Deus Ex.

If the choice is out of the two, then it'll always be FFVII. It was the first game on the PS that I really, really anticipated. Loved the cover (which thankfully they've continued with the rest of the series), loved the FMV. Great game.

Not as good as FFVI, and certainly not as good as my fave FF game, number V.

Skies of Arcadia was really disappointing for me. Loved the music and the graphics etc. Loved the fact that the game mechanics were pretty much the same as the FF games. Bloody hated the fact that it was just too bloody hard for me. And slow.

Final Fantasy VII. Charming characters, each with a solid story. Great storytelling, I never got bored. Splendid minigames (snowboarding!), very big overworld ( i really enjoyed taking Highwind for a spin). And a perfect climax at the beginning of the game. Everybody talks about the 'outside', it really makes you wanna see it. And after a few hours... you can see it. Hell, you can even walk over it. Great!

I haven't played Skies Of Arcadia, but Final Fantasy VII arrived this morning after I won it on eBay for £7.50 a few days ago. I haven't played it for bloody ages, but salivate at the prospect of playing through it again. Wooooooooooooo!

I was thinking the same... skies is an above avrage rpg... its a shame to see it compared to FF VII as to see how badly it pales in comparison... well its not that bad... but skies was fun, had a poor/avrage fighting system (sans ship vs ship), great exploration, a story that was ripped from parts of many other tales... no contest id say...

* i voted FFVII

Skies and FF7 are very comparable, both turn based rpg's featuring stories, both feature similaritys, such as ramirez being almost identical to sephroth, both feature text based converstation, both are RPG's. Just because their settings are different doesnt matter, its the same as comparing Sonic to Mario.

As in, they're both equally good, and although they share similarities they are still vastly different to play, and that when it comes down to it nobody gives a shit about who thinks which is better?

...its the same as comparing Sonic to Mario.

Never do that!!!

*Ahem.*

Also, FFVII is miles better. Skies is good charming fun, too, but it's far too slow and it's ship-battles become laughably easy once you've mastered the full cure spell - then you can't even lose them!

And the collision detection when flying is simply awful! (luckily, this doesn't matter much, but still...)

I'm going to go with FF7 because I've finished that 3 times and only got half way through Skies before i got pissed of with the american voices and dodgy combat. 20 or 30 hours i think

Saying that .... i do always think i'll go back to it one day. I havn't sold it yet and the Dreamcast is still working :o

I half-agree with Juria, they are quite different in a sense, but if I had to pick one, it would be FF7, definately.

Although, FF6, FF Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and Shining Force 2 are all better than both, imo.

The battles in Skies grated a little towards the latter stages of the game though (the incessant camera swinging around between moves etc was annoying in particular).

Skies. Since i finished it, and enjoyed it tremendously, but have never got past the first area of FF7 (cue ~90% of the population of the forum calling me a heathen:)

I never got out of Midgard either. But then I never finished Arcadia... (20 hours or so in, I might go back, might not).

For what it's worth, as much as I liked the story and setting in Skies, the random battles really spoilt it for me. Not the fact there were random battles, or any of the usual complaints, but the fact that they were just a case of tapping A mindlessly till you got back to the map screen. There was very little actual gameplay outside of the bosses and ship to ship battles.

I need to replay FF7 tho...

I'd have loved to play FFVII at the time, but I didn't have a PS until a while after, and there didn't seem to be as much point since every fucking magazine had huge spoilers in a few months after release.

But since I enjoy skewing samples, I voted for SOA.

:unsure:

.::: I own ICO. Thrice. On ONE system! HAH! :)

Xenogears is a bit slow but if you like reading a lot it's great, more like an interactive novel. How one could not like Chrono Trigger is beyond me. All these years later and most RPG-develoeprs STILL havn't picked up all the brilliant ideas from that game.

It IS possible to use the same disc if you want the play again, y'know... :unsure:

I never got out of Midgard either. But then I never finished Arcadia... (20 hours or so in, I might go back, might not).

For what it's worth, as much as I liked the story and setting in Skies, the random battles really spoilt it for me. Not the fact there were random battles, or any of the usual complaints, but the fact that they were just a case of tapping A mindlessly till you got back to the map screen. There was very little actual gameplay outside of the bosses and ship to ship battles.

I need to replay FF7 tho...

It's Midgar. You were close though. But what the hell, you NEVER came out of Midgar? The game starts when you get out of Midgar :unsure: