Final Fantasy 7 VS Skies of Arcadia

DJ Sack

Whats the best RPG ever made?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tried so hard to like Skies. I even started a thread about it a couple of months ago. Played it up to the second big boss (the big green walking Giga), then decided life was too short.

Too many unskippable cutscenes, too many random battles. I really wanted to explore the skies properly, but everytime I flew a hundred yards I got shoved into a battle. Probably I should have been enjoying them, but I wasn't, so I called it quits.

I haven''t played FF 7. Something tells me I wouldn't like it.

I tried so hard to like Skies. I even started a thread about it a couple of months ago. Played it up to the second big boss (the big green walking Giga), then decided life was too short.

Too many unskippable cutscenes, too many random battles. I really wanted to explore the skies properly, but everytime I flew a hundred yards I got shoved into a battle. Probably I should have been enjoying them, but I wasn't, so I called it quits.

I haven''t played FF 7. Something tells me I wouldn't like it.

grandia grandia grandia grandia :unsure:

no random battles! you can see all the enemies on screen and try to avoid them if you want. if you try and avoid them and they catch you, though, you are at a disadvantage at the start of the battle. but if you manage to sneak up on them you get an advantage.

Midgar was excellent. It built up this fabulous atmosphere and set up the characters before anything too loopy happened... and it played a great trick with game structuring. Expecting to spend the entire game inside Midgar, going through the different sectors before facing off in the Shinra building itself, things to absolutely haywire and you find yourself off wandering through the countryside.

grandia grandia grandia grandia :unsure:

no random battles! you can see all the enemies on screen and try to avoid them if you want. if you try and avoid them and they catch you, though, you are at a disadvantage at the start of the battle. but if you manage to sneak up on them you get an advantage.

Loved Grandia as well, even the crappy English translation. Grandia 2 wasn't that bad either on the DC (although didn't live up to Grandia). I also loved SoA and Chrono Trigger. I think what all of these games had, that Final Fantasy games seem to have a difficulty with, is likable characters. Grandia especially.

If I have to play through another FF game with a depressed, moody, whiny teenager as the main character I'll kill someone. How about a game starring a real hero rather than a reluctant one?

Oh - I voted for Skies because I actually finished it, unlike FF7. However given a real choice I would have voted for Chrono Trigger, a game badly in need of a GBA port.

Skies of Arcadia (but I have Grandia and Final Fantasy VI and VII lined up). It is so optimistic, gives you a real feeling of exploring strange new continents, the battles themes, Moonstone cannon, Gilder, so many memorable characters, unique ships and of course Vyse Aika and Fina who make an excellent team. One of my favourite games on the GC and despite the washed out colours and sound quality in Legends is still an excellent game.

Skies of Arcadia (but I have Grandia and Final Fantasy VI and VII lined up). It is so optimistic, gives you a real feeling of exploring strange new continents, the battles themes, Moonstone cannon, Gilder, so many memorable characters, unique ships and of course Vyse Aika and Fina who make an excellent team. One of my favourite games on the GC and despite the washed out colours and sound quality in Legends is still an excellent game.

This is exactly the thing in Grandia. The main character wants to go and adventure. Sure some shit things happen along the way, but the characters are always bouyed by their enthusiasm and friendship.

I voted for FF7, but Skies is a great game too. Apart from the battles that is. I usually don't mind random battles, but they were too long, got in the way of the exploration, and are part of the reason I could'nt be bothered searching for discoveries, which was something that really appealed to the explorer in me.

What makes it more of a pity is that the whole "floating islands" concept was very interesting. I hope it's used again, perhaps in the next Zelda.

I voted for FF7, but Skies is a great game too. Apart from the battles that is. I usually don't mind random battles, but they were too long, got in the way of the exploration, and are part of the reason I could'nt be bothered searching for discoveries, which was something that really appealed to the explorer in me.

What makes it more of a pity is that the whole "floating islands" concept was very interesting. I hope it's used again, perhaps in the next Zelda.

Floating Islands have been done to death in just about every RPG since Gulliver's Travels existed.

FF7:I just thought the atmosphere was totally awesome,the sound and the battle system was really ace to me.Also i cared for the characters and was totally sucked into there world...something many forms of media [games,films,books] lack today.One of my Fav games ever.

Skies:I can see why people like it...but sorry i found it pretty boring.

Floating Islands have been done to death in just about every RPG since Gulliver's Travels existed.

Must have missed those then. I've played the FF series since 7 and have revisited most of the Snes RPG's without seeing them.

What i meant was anyway was a game primarily set on them. There have probably been one or two as additions to the ground based exploration, but the whole "Deep Sky" idea was facsinating.

Has to be Skies for me.

I played Final Fantasy VII when it was released on the PC (1998?), and I liked it, but got bored not long after Aeris' [or is it Aerith? Always confuses me, that] death.

Recently played through it again, and played as far as the vampire-blokey section, before I got bored and stopped again.

Skies on the other hand I got well far in (can't remember how far though... just recall the last scene I'd fought being one of the ship-ship battles), but had to sell it due to lack of funds; I've recently traded my GBA for it off DJ Sack, and am looking forward to many more hours of RPG fun ;)

Anyhow, it was probably the combat system which did it, more than the plot; in fact I'd have to list Grandia II as my "other" favourite RPG, again thanks to its excellent battle system (and the music wasn't bad either :lol:). Only thing I didn't really like about Grandia II was that some of the dungeons got on my nerves [plus the squelching sounds when you walk around the inside of the giant monstery thingy (what was it? I forget) tended to gross me out a little]

grandia grandia grandia grandia ;)

Played and finished Grandia 2. I liked it. Went on a bit though.

I was thinking along a similar line a few weeks except comparing KOTOR with FFVII. KOTOR is pretty much the FFVII of this generation.

Never played Skies but what's best out of FF6 vs Chrono Trigger? That's a toughie.

I wouldnt say KotoR is the FF7 of this generation, I'd give that (title?) to Xenosaga (probably).

Out of FF6 and CT, thats a toughie, but I prefer FF6 (its the best game EVAR, imo), though CT would still be so close behind it you'dthink they were 'doing stuff'

I was thinking along a similar line a few weeks except comparing KOTOR with FFVII. KOTOR is pretty much the FFVII of this generation.

Never played Skies but what's best out of FF6 vs Chrono Trigger? That's a toughie.

Kotor is great and all put up against *any* of the big RPG's of the last generation it just pales in comparison.

Regarding your second question - now thats a toughie! But I'll plump for FFVI if only 'cause it's the only one I managed to finish

Chronotrigger - it's more concise, FF6 has this ridiculous meandering plot:

Script writer 1: The game is 10 hours to short.

Script writer 2: Oh... Uh. The party get split up and Ceres (??? - long times since I played it) wakes up on some island alone somewhere.

Script writer 1: What does she fight there?

Script writer 2: Squirells with radiation posioning. Look at the time, I'm buggering off home.

- still a great game tho.

I hope they do that Chrono Trigger/Cross sequel soon. How long has Chrono Break/Brake been registered?

It was abandoned ages ago, iirc

Chronotrigger - it's more concise, FF6 has this ridiculous meandering plot:

-stuff-

Ignoring the fact that the second half of the game finishes off everyones individual stories <_<

Must have missed those then. I've played the FF series since 7 and have revisited most of the Snes RPG's without seeing them.

What i meant was anyway was a game primarily set on them. There have probably been one or two as additions to the ground based exploration, but the whole "Deep Sky" idea was facsinating.

I agree about the floating islands/aerial exploration thing, I love that notion to pieces, which is why I was so dissapointed with Skies. Funny how these things work.