rllmuk
mansizerooster

Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

I'm hoping for some NG+ from this like RE4 where you can take all your upgraded kit through for another playthrough, really enjoyed that and shame it wasn't in RE2 REmake.

I loved the way they remixed Resi 2, but cutting whole areas out in this one doesn't sound good. It was a surprisingly short turnaround, and the demo didn't impress me. Given the outside setting, I'd rather they'd taken the opportunity to do a bit more with it, open it out a little and integrate Nemesis in a more original way.

I still quite fancy playing it, but Resi 2 was a perfectly pitched remake and one of the highlights of last year, and I can't see this leaving the same impression.

I always thought there would be some issues with this remake after the second game got it's remake.

It's incredibly short (the ps1 version only took about 5 hours to get through) and i recall beating that in a weekend compared to RE2 which tooks weeks.

It was also much more action focused, which funnily enough is why i enjoyed the original so much.

However, i was really hoping they would pad the remake out more. From what I recall, the devs said they would be expanding the game to make up for the loss of multiple endings - quite clearly that doesn't appear to be the case.

This is sounding more like it could have been DLC for RE2 - the only game doesn't really bother me and i whilst i really want to play this game, 40 quid for a 6 hour or so game is putting me off for the moment.

I'll take 6 great hours over a 15 hour game that wears out its welcome after 3 *glares at Doom Eternal box* :lol:

• Upvote 6

I read someone say Nemesis should’ve been handled like Mr X in Resi 2, and vice versa.

Bizarre they created Mr X AI but didn’t use it for Nemesis. 

The extra endings in RE3 weren't exactly a huge thing, depending on your choice on the wood bridge (which changed your start point in the factory and little else) you either escaped by helicopter or... you escaped on a different helicopter after an extra 'boss fight', you still went round the same factory and dealt with the same shitty water treatment puzzle :lol:. From the sound of things there's an extra difficulty that unlocks that swaps some things around that will more than make up for the loss of the choice events (which again, really didn't do as much for replay value as you'd think). I'm still really looking forward to it!

• Upvote 3

Yeah a 6 hour good game is fine to me. If anything, this encourages multiple playthroughs (i love replaying through with upgraded weapons etc - so much fun!).

Nemesis does sound a bit under used though.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Fneeb said:

The extra endings in RE3 weren't exactly a huge thing, depending on your choice on the wood bridge (which changed your start point in the factory and little else) you either escaped by helicopter or... you escaped on a different helicopter after an extra 'boss fight', you still went round the same factory and dealt with the same shitty water treatment puzzle :lol:. From the sound of things there's an extra difficulty that unlocks that swaps some things around that will more than make up for the loss of the choice events (which again, really didn't do as much for replay value as you'd think). I'm still really looking forward to it!

Yeah they were barely anything besides different characters picking you up in the helicopter at the end of the game.. it was a funny thing for the devs to say.

• Upvote 1

Nemesis is a tricky one, on the one hand you want to stay true to the original but on the other you have a bunch of people that had real issues with Mr X as well as other people that want to take their time and explore the environment without getting tentacles up their backsides. You're going to piss some people off, we'll have to see how the balance shakes out. I don't mind either way, from the demo he's easy enough to deal with when he's roaming, grenades and barrels put him down for 30 seconds to a minute each time which is plenty of time to get away.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Fneeb said:

Nemesis is a tricky one, on the one hand you want to stay true to the original but on the other you have a bunch of people that had real issues with Mr X as well as other people that want to take their time and explore the environment without getting tentacles up their backsides. You're going to piss some people off, we'll have to see how the balance shakes out.

It makes more sense for Nemesis to behave like X than it did for X. Explains the decision to prominently feature him in every single scenario of RE2make. Hnnnngh.

It does, but i'm sure they received a lot of feedback about him after RE2 and it probably influenced decision making. I can appreciate their (probable) thinking for X in the remake though, hey here's this cool new twist to this iconic enemy, it just didn't land for some people. It certainly did for me, I loved the tension, and while for some he became an annoyance on later playthroughs for me he was just a bit of a non-entity. You (eventually) know what triggers him and where he spawns, you know what key items will bring him down on you, you know what areas you need to clear out to avoid getting grabbed with him on your arse and that knowledge combined with a firm plan of knowing where you need to go means he's forever behind you or easily dodged.

But then you take that and you add the ability to move around quickly with a lot more freedom in an open environment and Nemesis could just get plain oppressive, so if they've dialled him back to compensate then it's disappointing but also understandable. You can't have him plodding and slow moving, you need him to be fast and terrifying.

2 hours ago, merrychan said:

I'm hoping for some NG+ from this like RE4 where you can take all your upgraded kit through for another playthrough, really enjoyed that and shame it wasn't in RE2 REmake.

The Eurogamer review mentions there's no new game + I'm afraid.

I'm still hyped - I really enjoyed the demo and I can't wait to play some new RE Engine content.  Base have just despatched my order, fingers crossed for a Friday delivery!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Popo said:

The Eurogamer review mentions there's no new game + I'm afraid.

Not in the strict sense but (gameplay spoiler)

Spoiler

there is a reward system like the original RE3 (with some RE7 flavour) that means you can definitely get more powerful on future playthroughs

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fneeb said:

It does, but i'm sure they received a lot of feedback about him after RE2 and it probably influenced decision making. I can appreciate their (probable) thinking for X in the remake though, hey here's this cool new twist to this iconic enemy, it just didn't land for some people. It certainly did for me, I loved the tension, and while for some he became an annoyance on later playthroughs for me he was just a bit of a non-entity. You (eventually) know what triggers him and where he spawns, you know what key items will bring him down on you, you know what areas you need to clear out to avoid getting grabbed with him on your arse and that knowledge combined with a firm plan of knowing where you need to go means he's forever behind you or easily dodged.

I‘m not sure the feedback from RE2 would’ve made much impact on RE3 given it was well into development.

X landed for me in execution, but limiting him to one scenario, as in the original game, rather than both, would’ve differentiated the scenarios in lieu of new environments, and contained him so people could do runs without dealing with him. It was one of many senseless and pointless changes to the superior original.

10 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I‘m not sure the feedback from RE2 would’ve made much impact on RE3 given it was well into development.

X landed for me in execution, but limiting him to one scenario, as in the original game, rather than both, would’ve differentiated the scenarios in lieu of new environments, and contained him so people could do runs without dealing with him. It was one of many senseless and pointless changes to the superior original.

Whilst i do agree about limiting X to the second scenario - a huge amount of people have only played/completed the game with one character and left it there. Whether this is because they heard the second playthrough isn't that much different or whether they are just done with the game after a playthrough - i'm not sure.

But that would have meant the biggest attraction to many people would not have been a thing until the second playthrough.

8 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Whilst i do agree about limiting X to the second scenario - a huge amount of people have only played/completed the game with one character and left it there. Whether this is because they heard the second playthrough isn't that much different or whether they are just done with the game after a playthrough - i'm not sure.

But that would have meant the biggest attraction to many people would not have been a thing until the second playthrough.

I started my second play-through but when I realised there was no alternate route to the RCPD, no Brad, no helicopter sequence, X showed up immediately and the game was asking me to solve exactly the same puzzles again, I switched off and haven’t turned it on again. The reviews should’ve given Capcom more shit for this. The game wasn’t ready, plus whichever director was leading made some unfathomable decisions.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but the alternate RPD route lasted maybe 2 minutes (three maybe four screens, then you ended up at a different RPD start point, much like in the modern version), Brad wasn't a B scenario thing (if you unlocked him in A he'd be there in B) and the helicopter sequence is one cutscene. Yes, the B scenarios in the remake have less differences than their classic counterparts, but the differences really weren't as major as a lot of people like to say they are. The puzzles were all the same in classic as well, if anything the remake has more difference because the combinations are different in a lot of cases (the statue puzzles for example, same mechanic but the solutions are different and access to the solution isn't handed to you). Classic had the SMG & Sidepack that you could take or leave behind and expanding that would've been cool but it was only the one instance of this kind of choice, there was also the double door lock in the lab which actually lessens the previous choice because you get another SMG in there.

There was definitely neat flavour in the B scenarios, and some of that was definitely lost, but in my opinion it really wasn't a deal breaker and the modern B scenarios remixed things enough to be interesting. I've put something stupid like 180 hours into 2:R now and I much prefer it to classic, the gameplay is just too solid and the atmosphere just too good. So long as they haven't wrecked either of those things in the actual topic of this topic then i'll be very happy indeed ^_^

• Upvote 3

Is mercenaries in this? Because that's where the vast majority of my playtime with Resi 3 was, after blasting through the story a few times to unlock everything, I spent weeks chasing high scores in mercs. 

• Upvote 1

They added the ghost survivors stuff free to RE2, so here's hoping something Mercenaries-esque gets added some time after launch. Side note, Mercenaries 3D remaster when Capcom?

Interviews suggest that they think that the online multiplayer resistance thing is somehow a replacement for the single player, score driven mercs mode they’ve removed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I started my second play-through but when I realised there was no alternate route to the RCPD, no Brad, no helicopter sequence, X showed up immediately and the game was asking me to solve exactly the same puzzles again, I switched off and haven’t turned it on again. The reviews should’ve given Capcom more shit for this. The game wasn’t ready, plus whichever director was leading made some unfathomable decisions.

Agreed. Gave up on the second playthrough this morning because of this. Disappointing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Hang on a minute, you've been banging on, and on, and on in this thread about how shit you thought the B scenario in the RE2 Remake was and you didn't even finish it? In a perfect world I'd have liked them to do a bit more with it, but they aren't identical.

• Upvote 7

With xbox live and PSN reducing speeds while everyone is in lockdown does anyone know if the preload will start early? 

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Hang on a minute, you've been banging on, and on, and on in this thread about how shit you thought the B scenario in the RE2 Remake was and you didn't even finish it? In a perfect world I'd have liked them to do a bit more with it, but they aren't identical.

It’s already ruined, what’s the point?

I’ll play it sometime.

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

The B scenario was crap in RE2Make.  Fact. 

Yup. I did the same, smashed through both A then started B and turned it off in disgust 

21 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

It’s already ruined, what’s the point?

I’ll play it sometime.

The point is if you're going to bore us endlessly about every single deviation the RE2make made from the original game, you might at least know what you're talking about. You've made seven posts mentioning the B-campaign over the last two pages alone. We already know, we actually played it.

The B campaign works fine as a remixed way of getting the story beats from the other character without starting from scratch. It's shorter and it has various differences, including the true ending. It could have been better, but considering I doubt they originally intended to include it at all, it was fine.

• Upvote 6