rllmuk
mansizerooster

Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

I've been trying to fool my One X into thinking I'm in New Zealand to play this before midnight but no worky. I managed to get the demo early on PS4 by making an NZ account.

i've followed a couple of vids on Youtube to no avail. Has anyone done this before?

EDIT: Success! The game still says Pre-ordered on the screen but when you click it it loads!

I'm going in......

This has thrown me slightly, based on the demo:

Spoiler

The bolt cutters aren’t in the same place, are they?

OK, I’m about an hour in, here’s my exclusive early impressions:

Spoiler

Nemesis is hard and I suck at dodging

The game goes ugly early - Nemesis, spiders, piles of zombies and chunky weapon upgrades to take them all down with

Jill Valentine lives up to her reputation as the Master of Unlocking Things

That is all for now, more impressions tomorrow evening as I ease into another session, hopefully with a couple of sharpeners from the drinks trolley to keep my spirits up. 

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

I'm so glad there's more sewers in this! I fuckin' loved the sewers in RE2! Every game should have sewers in it!

Fuck sewers...

• Upvote 1

Loving it but also terrified because I just picked up the fire hose and am heading to the donut shoppe with a sense of dread, and panicking over where to find the bolt cutters. Speaking of, do they open those locker/box padlocks too, because I simply must crack everything open, I want alllll the loot.

Been playing it since 8pm and I’m gonna call it a night cos my eyes hurt. It is very much alike REmake 2 but it’s also feels somewhat radically different to the original in terms of pacing, level

design and exploration.

Game clearly has taken some inspiration from 6, not in a bad way or anything but it is definitely action heavy and far less scarier than 2. 

Also the linearity means that path plotting gets contained to small sections at a time rather than a sweep through a series of tasks like in remake 1&2, which is a shame as those are my favourite parts of the games.

Obviously not finished it but it is still a good game, I just hope this is as extreme as the series goes because it’d be a shame to see it relapse into bad habits.

Also Nemisis is way better in the original, it’s not going to be up for debate for very long. Mr X was a better Nemisis than this.

• Upvote 1

Well, having just reached a boss fight it’s apparent I missed picking up the grenade launcher earlier in the game. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Almost two hours in so don’t want to restart but seeing as there are no checkpoints and just the typewriter method, I may be forced to. 

I was debating starting this again on Hard, because playing on Standard with the usual Resi tactics (only killing what I need to, switching to knife when they're on the ground, etc) left me with over a 100 handgun bullets and a load of spare health by the time I'd got to the end of demo area. But then I got to the first Nemesis encounter... lol. Not sure now.

How are Resi regulars finding the difficulty? I'm wary of sprinting through the whole thing.

3 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Loving it but also terrified because I just picked up the fire hose and am heading to the donut shoppe with a sense of dread, and panicking over where to find the bolt cutters. Speaking of, do they open those locker/box padlocks too, because I simply must crack everything open, I want alllll the loot.

There’s a special item needed for those which you can’t not get so no need to worry. 

2 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I was debating starting this again on Hard, because playing on Standard with the usual Resi tactics (only killing what I need to, switching to knife when they're on the ground, etc) left me with over a 100 handgun bullets and a load of spare health by the time I'd got to the end of demo area. But then I got to the first Nemesis encounter... lol. Not sure now.

How are Resi regulars finding the difficulty? I'm wary of sprinting through the whole thing.

I thought the opening parts were easy too. But overall it got tougher after the first hour or two. I wouldn't have wanted to play on hard first time, anyway.

Just bought it on PC - think im going to get stuck into Resistance for a bit, I'm waiting to build my new PC for the main game.

10 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Hardcore feels about right. Forces you to get an instinct for the dodge move, and you won’t have enough ammo to just steamroll the zombies. It’s exhilarating not being able to kill all of the tougher enemies as well, and having to engage in a bit of cat and mouse. 

• Upvote 3

Just got to a relatively non-signposted boss fight where the attack pattern presumes you're carrying the grenade launcher and mine rounds (which I wasn't, too much space). Even if you do manage to slog through and beat the boss without them, Jill is literally using the grenade launcher in the cutscene afterwards. If you want the player to use it, make sure they have it.

Oh, that's @Garibaldi who missed it. I do have it, I just wasn't carrying it after the train. Boss fights aside though I haven't used it at all so far, grenades & the shotgun got me through the sewers.

Finished on Hardcore. The game had its positives and I did enjoy it, especially the Carlos sections but I have some big criticisms that I’ll have to write down later. To get the big one out of the way, Nemesis itself was a disappointment.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Of all the things to praise, I didn't expect the characterisation to be one of them. Jill and Carlos were complete non-entities in the original, they've done well to inject plenty of personality and charisma into both. The acting in the cutscenes is miles better than the actual live-action intro (speaking of which, what a throwback).

Maybe this team could actually make something coherent out of Code Veronica? Wouldn't be against them doing something fresh either, mind you.

4 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

the actual live-action intro

Mmm! Wasn’t that wonderfully schlocky and B-movie-esque? I enjoyed it very much especially, as you say, it’s a bit of a throwback to the original game. 

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I'm surprised you got through the section where you find it without it.

Considering how much ammo it takes to kill those creatures in hardcore, it’s not too surprising! I found the key item I needed, saw there was an unexplored path, but by that point was down to two bullets and harsh language so legged it for the exit. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, carlospie said:

This deffo should have been dlc, hardly enough new game to be classed as one

Yup, my completion screen:

Spoiler

To be fair, this run was with my infinite rocket launcher and I knew the game and locations at this point but still...

EUsGVTMXsAQJVBS.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I am going to wait for this to drop in price, if you can complete it in an hour they can fuck off asking for £50.

• Upvote 1

Playing this on Hardcore and there still seems to be plenty of ammo thank god.

@dumpster I’ve played two hours and not even out of the first section from the demo yet.

Finished Hardcore in about four and a half hours played game time(with cutscenes/deaths came out at about 8 hours, the boss fights are right fuckers). It's good, but it's not RE2:R good. There's just not enough of the good stuff! Definitely going to do the challenges and get the unlocks, I'll definitely get my £35 out of it (thank the maker for GMG), but I doubt i'll put nearly as much time into it as I did with 2:R which is a real shame. Also the bit at the Substation when you walk in made me feel really uncomfortable :unsure:

At the price I paid for it? Solid 7 or 8 out of 10, if I'd paid console price then i'd be a bit more upset. I can't decide whether they tossed in Resistance as an attempt to justify the price point but I would've rather paid less for it's exclusion to be honest!

EDIT - It's also worth mentioning that the atmosphere is amazing again, the remixed music is phenomenal and the cutscenes and characters are awesome.

• Upvote 1