rllmuk
mansizerooster

Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:
  Hide contents

... if anything it has aged worse than 1,2 and 3 imo. 

86C4AB43-E778-451E-8167-3E22CD9C8E2F.gif.a9a5bc03124b3764928d0ed2fa36cf60.gif

• Empathy 1

1, 2 and 3 are timeless survival horror masterpieces. 4 is a dated action game with horrid controls and will forever be tainted by moving the series in a direction it has only recently recovered from. 

Anyway, this is the threemake thread. Sorry guys.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

threemake

Nice, nice. 

Alternatively, the pacing, variety and sheer generosity of ideas in 4 has never been beaten by any other game. Not just in the RE franchise but literally any other game. Period.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

4 is a dated action game with horrid controls and will forever be tainted by moving the series in a direction it has only recently recovered from. 

That's a crafted manila clam.

• Upvote 5

Spent an evening putting time into Resistance, it's... really not that great. Seemed like every match I played as a survivor my team just strung out and got picked off by turrets or monsters, but then whenever I played as a mastermind I came up against squads using military grade tactics that wiped out even Birkin with ease. Unlocks are slow to earn so you have to grind ages to get anything interesting, including the other masterminds (you start with just Annette unlocked). It's an interesting concept but it's just not really well executed and I really wish it had stayed it's own separate thing rather than being used to 'bulk up' RE3 to justify the full price.

I am 2 hours of playtime in, (longer than that overall due to deaths etc) and here’s where I’m at:

First boss fight done. Now playing as Carlos

And those two hours have been entertaining as hell.

This is an absolute blast. I hope I’ve got another 4 hours to go. It’s a dense game, and doesn’t really stop for a breathe. A very different vibe to RE2.

Can't believe they didn't include Mercenaries in a remake of RE3, home of the original Mercs mode. There's not even anything like the scenarios from RE2, just a load of unlockable tat and some cheats.

The scenarios were DLC so it’s still possible this will get DLC. They announced them within weeks of RE2 launching iirc.

This is f'ing brilliant - it's a bit short sure, but if they can pump these remakes out at this level of quality at this frequency, I'll be in video game heaven for the next couple of years.

Any of the older games next would be immense! (I guess that's really only RE1, RE4 and Code Veronica - I think CV would be incredible, but its pretty long so I wonder if they would condense it a little, like this one, and clean up a little of the cheesiness which did at times cross into Roquefort territory). :D

Its been mentioned above, and probably by me before - but yet another remake of 1 in this engine would make me feel all funny inside (in a good way).  As for 4 I would love to see it updated too, but hmmm... Can you improve on perfection...? :lol:

• Upvote 1

I don't think 4 needs an update or would benefit from this engine. A lot of the appeal of the remakes is the splicing of old school Resi with the RE4 viewpoint. A remake of 4 would likely miss 50% of the point.

As for Resi 1, Lost In Nightmares gives the closest approximation of what a re-remake of that would play like - and is probably the only vaguely positively thing to come out of RE5.

Meanwhile, CV and Zero are terrible experiences so I'm not sure where the remakes go from here. That said I would probably still buy a CV remake even though that game is just miserable from start to finish.

Enjoying 3make so far!

• Upvote 1

Yeah Code Veronica could be great with a remake in this engine. I can't remember why but I really didn't like it on the DC. Classic case of "high mark because on the DC"itis. Telling that all of the ports scored far less.

Yet it does have the makings of a good game so a remake would be great. Possibly without the Tyrant fight in plane but with no ammo meaning I literally couldn't proceed.

Code Veronica was a very cheesy game riddled with terrible design issues and unintentional progress blockers.

Remaking it wouldn’t be the worst idea but the game would have to be changed significantly.

• Upvote 1

4 with a modern control system would be great. I've bought the thing 3 times and never, ever been able to get on with the controls. I'd love to be able to sit down and crack through it, but every time I'm left frustrated by it and have to walk away.

• Upvote 2

Code Veronica had quite a few straight-up horror sections. If they can bring this level of characterisation and writing to the awkward cast and plot, with a few more of the puzzles akin to what they added to RE2, it could have potential. I'm sure they're at least considering it.

I imagine Zero is the one they'll skip.

I could see a heavily revised Code Veronica, and then a return to the original game using a next-gen RE Engine.

My copy still hasn't arrived from Shopto despite being despatched last week... Won't let me track on the royal mail website either. 

• Empathy 1

I don't think they're going to do Code Veronica now anyway but if they did, I'd like them to completely tear it apart. Open with us playing as Claire breaking into the French lab and doing all the John Woo stuff, then go to a smaller/tighter and heavily reworked version of the island. Cut out the backtracking padding, scrap/re-create Steve and Alfred anew from the ground up. Don't introduce Chris at all until the very end, where he shows up because he's been tracking Wesker (gets rid of the original plothole where Claire has been searching everywhere for Chris then tells Leon halfway through to email him for her..!) and we get an Alexa versus Wesker versus the Redfields Battle Royale.

Anyone heard rumours on RE8? One bunch doing the rounds claim it was original set to be Revelations 3 but tested so well internally that it's been bumped up to full sequel status. Also something about witches and werewolves...

Wait, what?

26 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

The next remake will be Dino Crisis.

Jesus Christ!! I certainly hope so, it’s about bloody time!!!!

Apparently Dino Crisis was considered (perhaps even started) but then was binned. At least that's what Dusk Golem on resetera said a few weeks ago. He's got a damned good track record with Resi stuff so it seems reliable. The next RE is said to be RE8 which is a reworked Revelations 3 that's being given more development time after it tested especially well within Capcom.

• Empathy 1

This came up in the RE2 Remake thread as well but Dino Crisis is begging for a remake in this engine. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

That's pure wishful thinking by the way. My uncle isn't capcom.

Oh I know.... but, I can dream! It’s gotta happen one day.

• Upvote 1

My dodge game is weak AF, any tips on timing?

And finished. If RE2 was a 9 this is a 6 at best. Woefully short, way more missing than 2, and absolutely no postgame content either. 4 hours and 31 minutes and I really took my time exploring. 

Really didn't like the fact they sped Zombies up and they barely reacted to being shot. The tactical limb removal in 2 is one of the greatest strengths in the combat. The knife was hopeless in this as well, where in 2 I'd cut zombies legs off up save Ammo and make them easier to dodge. 

Also Nemesis spoilers:

Nemesis was a bit crap wasn't he? He only really stalks you during the demo portion, the rest is limited to a handful of scripted encounters. He turns into a crap Jurassic Park monster before the half way point. Compared to how masterfully Mr X was handled in 2 I think that's probably the biggest criticism of them all. 

• Upvote 1

That's interesting if true about RE8, because the pace of the previous Revelations games is nothing like RE7.

I do hope they go back to the horror vibes, because Nemesis took a sharp detour straight back into RE5 action territory, which is much less interesting.

Ok, so I am 2hrs 40 in and I just reached:

The hospital

So now I’m seeing where the cuts have happened and they’re in Act 2. In terms of pacing... the park / gravedigger / clock tower section is not just wholesale absent, but sorely needed and there's an obvious gap where it would go. Between Carlos revisiting RCPD and the second boss fight.
The first two hours were like an opening act. And now after 40 minutes I’m entering Act 3.

Still, what is there is great.

1 minute ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I got 11 hours out of my playthrough and ended up downloading RE6 cos I was still left with a Resi hard on.

Quickly went.

Your playtime was 11 hours !?! Wow. I think I'm coming in around 4 unless the last two areas are substantial.