rllmuk
mansizerooster

Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

The grimmest Charlie doll is the one on the bin in the hospital. You'd never find it unless you were literally combing every millimeter is the entire game from every angle imaginable. You can barely see it even if you know it's there.

Sadly that's one I have found. I remember because I thought, "oh that's just stupid!" When I found it.  the problem I have with both the documents and the Charlie dolls is there when I look at the guides online I think I've already found all of them. But when I play through it following the guides I still don't see any Charlie dolls. I'm looking around every inch of an area where there's a 17 out of 20 chance that there's nothing there. Seeing as how there are trophies related to these, there should be some way of seeing a list of which ones you already found so you don't keep hunting in those areas again.

I got it by accident when on one of my rocket launcher runs. You can tell if you've got one when just firing rockets all over the place because it triggers a save icon.

Got all the dolls now, ironically one of the ones I was missing was the very first one. 

I'm a little bit confused about the difficulty. I want to race through on hardcore mode to get an S Rank , but it seems exactly the same as as standard mode, especially if you are carrying recovery coins. However the nemesis boss fights seem to go on forever until you use all the ammo. Like, if you go into a boss fight with loads of grenades, flame rounds etc then the boss fight just lasts longer. But I don't know what the minimum amount of ammunition to go in with is. 

I've also observed that I have now spent more time playing resident evil 3 than I spent on resident evil 2. Maybe that's because of lockdown, or maybe the overall length of the game doesn't matter and Resi 3 is the better game after all?

Just to add, it's the structure of going from A-B that seems different in Resi3. 

If you play Resi2 there are loads of side routes to explore, more locked safes and combination locks. The puzzles involve fetching multiple items, taking them to a location, combining things. In Resi2 you take A to B to make C, take that to D etc.  

In Resi3 the formula is the same but I can't think of anything where you go past B. For example, in NEST you go and get the USB key, then stick it in the terminal and that's job done. You don't have to repair it somewhere or cool it down, or warm it up...  It's just find it in one location, use it in another, job done.  The whole game is made of tasks that are completed in one swoop, but none of these tasks are part of a bigger whole. A key opens one door and is discarded. The hose is lying there in one piece. The poison area has 4 switches all within 30 seconds of each other in an area that you don't need to go back through afterwards. The underground sewers involve finding the battery pack and grenade launcher then leaving immediately. It's all about heading from A to B, rather than collecting items from A, B, C and D, to get to E where you find F etc.

What I find unexpected is that, playing both games in that linear fashion (like, following a walkthrough and only doing the essential bits), Resi 3 is a longer game than Resi 2.  Sure R2 has the two characters, but they were 95% the same game as each other in the remake.

Resi3 is way more linear by design and you don't backtrack as much and that causes you to race through it. And if you try and Race Resi2, you realise how short that game is too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dumpster said:

Got all the dolls now, ironically one of the ones I was missing was the very first one. 

I'm a little bit confused about the difficulty. I want to race through on hardcore mode to get an S Rank , but it seems exactly the same as as standard mode, especially if you are carrying recovery coins. However the nemesis boss fights seem to go on forever until you use all the ammo. Like, if you go into a boss fight with loads of grenades, flame rounds etc then the boss fight just lasts longer. But I don't know what the minimum amount of ammunition to go in with is. 

I've also observed that I have now spent more time playing resident evil 3 than I spent on resident evil 2. Maybe that's because of lockdown, or maybe the overall length of the game doesn't matter and Resi 3 is the better game after all?

Just take the rocket launcher. Doesn't seem to trigger any adaptive difficulty and most Nemesis fights will be over before they've begun. The setpiece where he has a rocket launcher is hilarious when you down him and just stroll along. 

37 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Just take the rocket launcher. Doesn't seem to trigger any adaptive difficulty and most Nemesis fights will be over before they've begun. The setpiece where he has a rocket launcher is hilarious when you down him and just stroll along. 

Where can you get a rocket launcher without buying it in the shop?  I spent all the points earned and the only way for me to buy the infinite rocket launcher is to complete the game on inferno.

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Where can you get a rocket launcher without buying it in the shop?  I spent all the points earned and the only way for me to buy the infinite rocket launcher is to complete the game on inferno.

Oh. You're boned then :( Hardcore with the unlimited rifle and 12 grenade rounds for nemesis fights shouldn't be too big a problem. I got the platinum but wouldn't recommend Inferno just because the end boss is so cheap. 

I remember a spoof letter to Digitiser years ago that said something along the lines of, "I've been playing Virtua Tennis now for 4 months and I think I found a problem with it". Well I've just decided that I don't like Resident Evil 3 after playing it for 80 hours.

It's definitely a bit short  but the quality of it is fantastic and I've really enjoyed speedruns and unlocking bonus items.  It turns out that I think it benefits from being a game I can blast through in one sitting whenever I want.

But it's completely fucked in other ways that only become apparent when you played through it multiple times. 

First of all, if you don't save up and buy the rocket launcher first, you hit a brick wall.  If you buy the cheaper items first, the only way to be able to afford the rocket launcher is to complete the game on its nightmare or inferno difficulty levels. This is a problem because of the thing I'll come to next, but I ended up having to wipe my saved game file and start over, farming the goals again asap to get the rocket launcher on Standard difficulty.  None of the above would really be a problem, but it is a major fuck up because inferno and nightmare are broken.  

I'm not sure if it's the dynamic difficulty coming into play, but the penultimate boss on inferno seems absolutely impossible unless you have the infinite rocket launcher and recovery coins. So if the only way to earn enough points to buy the Rocket Launcher is to complete the game on Inferno you're screwed.  BUT if you do have those items it goes from impossible to ridiculously easy. You can take the boss down in 10 seconds barely allowing it to move.

But even if you do do, that leaves you to face the final boss. Again this might just be my experience based on the dynamic difficulty but I've started that battle with all the defence items and the rocket launcher, and 5 first aid sprays in addition to the two that are in the boss fight room.  But now instead of slapping his hand down on the floor once, he slaps down in five different places one after the other, requiring 5 perfect dodges in a row to continue.  If you are hit, you can't get into the menu to use a health item, so  you're stuck on the floor as he hits you 4 more times.  It's basically a one-hit kill. 

For a game that is based all around the Nemesis character I find all his appearaces to be the most unfair bits of the entire game. Even the parts where you meet Nemesis at the start seem to be complete luck.  Sometimes he just charges at you or sandwiches you between him and zombies.  As soon as you play any level with any real challenge  it just cheats. If the game wants you to lose then you lose.  You get moments where three zombies attack in quick succession and you don't die, then next time a zombie kills you on its own.  Or a zombie runs at you, you dodge it but it carries on running, and you get three run animations in a row where that never normally happens.

It needs a patch because there's something wrong, especially with those end bosses, they seem 10 times harder than anything else in the game. As it stands it's a nice leisurely paced Resi game, and there's no point in playing it on a more challenging difficulty.

• Upvote 1

The final boss is basically broken on Inferno. It's not so much that it's just difficult, there's not necessarily a problem with a boss that harshly punishes mistakes, but this just seems to decide you aren't winning this time and one-shots you. It does seem like you can occasionally dodge the multi slap midstream if it nails you with one of the slaps, but I could never reliably do it, meaning it only added to the feeling the thing was broken.

I hear what you're saying but then I look at someone like Carcinogen or whoever doing a no damage Inferno run and it just seems to me it is doable, it's just that neither you or I are good enough to actually do it ourselves.

6 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

I hear what you're saying but then I look at someone like Carcinogen or whoever doing a no damage Inferno run and it just seems to me it is doable, it's just that neither you or I are good enough to actually do it ourselves.

Yes there are some people who have nailed this game... But I noticed that they all play on PC and have a mouse to aim with. You can spin around on the spot, whizz from one target to another, and instead of shooting things you just click on them. If you watch them you'll see that they shoot with incredible speed and accuracy which I think is much harder on a control pad.