Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

Played the demo twice and loved it. It looks amazing, even more so than Resi2. Nemesis is bloody tough though and far more aggressive in his pursuit than Tyrant! 

Can't wait for the full game to drop. 

11 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It’s got to be Code Veronica next surely?

They’ve already got nice looking versions of 1 and 4 out there. 

In EDGE's in-depth feature on RE3, the head of the dev team did say the team was feeling quite exhausted after they finished both RE2 & 3 remakes, so I don't know if we'll see another remade RE game any time soon.

• Upvote 1

Only played a few minutes of the demo and quit. Never played 3 but having enjoyed 2 so much last year I’d seen enough to know I should just be buying it and playing it all fresh. It looks amazing with all the neon.

Used to be Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

Originally it was Resident Evil: Nemesis, a side story, but because of contract obligations they had to to another mainline RE game on the PSOne, so they called it RE3: Nemesis (the only mainline RE title with a sub-title) and Code Veronica (which was supposed to be RE3) became a side story.

Something Capcom later went on to deny even though it's quite obvious that the main story goes from RE through RE2 to its conclusion in CV.

• Upvote 3

Well, that was pretty stressful, running (strangely slowly) from the big guy, whilst trying to hit dodge at the right moment to evade zombies. Still, the graphics and tight controls of 2 remake are still lovely as ever. I just hope Tentacle McTwistynose takes a timeout now and then so I can relax and soak up the atmosphere.

What's with the tentacle grab where he drags you towards him then does nothing? It would be good if it were like Half Life barnacles and you could pull your gun and shoot as you were being dragged. I held L2 expecting her to aim her gun.

3 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Used to be Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

Originally it was Resident Evil: Nemesis, a side story, but because of contract obligations they had to to another mainline RE game on the PSOne, so they called it RE3: Nemesis (the only mainline RE title with a sub-title) and Code Veronica (which was supposed to be RE3) became a side story.

Something Capcom later went on to deny even though it's quite obvious that the main story goes from RE through RE2 to its conclusion in CV.

3 is miles better than CV though, so overall a lucky escape for the franchise.

• Upvote 1

Played through the demo twice now - is it just me or does this look even better than RE2? It's excellent - Nemesis is going to be a royal pain in the posterior though, it's so hard to get away from him. Agree with what's been said above, it'll be such a relief to take a break from being pursued to appreciate the atmosphere a bit more and slow things down a bit. Just thinking back to RE2 how bloomin' tense it was hearing Mr X stomping around all the time. 

I can't remember if Nemesis "supercharged" the regular zombies in the original game - thats a new thing right?

Also the shooting in these games is just the best, it has so much weight to it. :wub:

Yeah to my eyes it looks even better than RE2. Especially on the X. Played it through now a few times on my Xbox X and PS4 Slim. 

Judging by the demo it seems it'll be a fair bit more action oriented, no issues running out of ammo! it's also nice to be in the city and it seems a bit more open in general. 

I grabbed the demo from the PlayStation Store web page, do I need to do anything special to kick off the download back home? I know this was automatic in the past but a recent attempt with the FF VII demo failed and I had to download it from the PS4 itself. 

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

I grabbed the demo from the PlayStation Store web page, do I need to do anything special to kick off the download back home? I know this was automatic in the past but a recent attempt with the FF VII demo failed and I had to download it from the PS4 itself. 

Go to your download list on the web store and you can activate it. It's in the menu if you click on your avatar/profile.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

3 is miles better than CV though, so overall a lucky escape for the franchise.

Aw, come on folks, don't neg the poor guy for this. Unless it's because he passed up the chance to say it's a FINAL ESCAPE for the franchise, in which case go hog wild because no pun or reference is too terrible to use with gusto, etc.

Despite being DC4lyfe even I must admit in a straight comparison, I don't find Code Veronica holds up as well as Nemesis. Steve is The Worst Character in the entire franchise, the Alfred and Alexa thing is rather awkward and problematic (to put it mildly), there's a hideous amount of backtracking on the island, and the new creatures are pretty lame, especially the Bandersnatch. Plus, while it wasn't ever a problem for me because I hoard my best ammo like a redneck doomsday prepper, I read a lot of accounts from people who just never got past the Tyrant in the C-130 because they'd already used up all their good stuff (suckers!).

Conversely, the Nemesis is unbridled terror, it tried introducing some path branching and new ammo mechanics, and the stakes (and sense of surviving against impossible odds) are much greater.

In short, I suppose you could argue if anything it was Code Veronica that desperately needed a complete revamp from the ground up, not Nemesis.

• Upvote 1

15 year old me hated that you can't blow Zombies heads off in Code Veronica, and 35 year old me feels the same way. Outside of the novelty of the real time graphics, I thought it was pretty dull from a story perspective and coming off the back of 2 and 3, seemed pretty sedate and boring to play.

I tried to replay it last year, then I discovered the PAL DC version doesn't even support VGA either. The game continues to disappoint me 20 years later :lol:

I love the atmosphere of CV, especially the start of the game. I agree the game has dated quite badly though, which I guess makes it perfect for a remake.

• Upvote 1

CV was  a technical showcase on Dreamcast but its design felt messy and kind of cut n paste - the first three games are way better, and obviously they went in a different direction after that with 4. 

• Upvote 2

NICE - Just played through the demo on PC. As usual there are some little extras to make it last longer longer if you are into that sort of thing. 

I thought I did good getting 6 figurines..urm, I guess not.

22 hours ago, Triple A said:

Started the demo on Xbox one x, but can’t get past the framerate. Gonna try again on pc tomorrow, 120fps phwoar

Phwoar indeed! This looks amazing on PC.

@sdmilne the demo is on Steam already - Go!

This said, I find the Nemesis too bloomin' stressful atm.

• Upvote 1

I didn't get to see much of the Nemesis during my quick go. He killed me the first time I tried to run from him, but the second time I ran up some stairs, dropped down a ladder and had reached the end of the demo! It was good fun, though, and definitely stressful, especially as I haven't played the RE2 remake yet and had no idea how anything would behave. I like the worldbuilding in it so far - there's a real sense of poking around a recently destroyed city and trying to keep out of sight, particularly when you get to the cafe with corpses at the tables and music still twanging away in the background.