rllmuk
mansizerooster

Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

Yes I want to play too!  Doing some googling, I learned that if you die on purpose a bunch of times it gives you an easy mode with more weapons etc! :D

I grabbed the demo from the PlayStation Store web page, do I need to do anything special to kick off the download back home? I know this was automatic in the past but a recent attempt with the FF VII demo failed and I had to download it from the PS4 itself. 

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

I grabbed the demo from the PlayStation Store web page, do I need to do anything special to kick off the download back home? I know this was automatic in the past but a recent attempt with the FF VII demo failed and I had to download it from the PS4 itself. 

Go to your download list on the web store and you can activate it. It's in the menu if you click on your avatar/profile.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

3 is miles better than CV though, so overall a lucky escape for the franchise.

Aw, come on folks, don't neg the poor guy for this. Unless it's because he passed up the chance to say it's a FINAL ESCAPE for the franchise, in which case go hog wild because no pun or reference is too terrible to use with gusto, etc.

Despite being DC4lyfe even I must admit in a straight comparison, I don't find Code Veronica holds up as well as Nemesis. Steve is The Worst Character in the entire franchise, the Alfred and Alexa thing is rather awkward and problematic (to put it mildly), there's a hideous amount of backtracking on the island, and the new creatures are pretty lame, especially the Bandersnatch. Plus, while it wasn't ever a problem for me because I hoard my best ammo like a redneck doomsday prepper, I read a lot of accounts from people who just never got past the Tyrant in the C-130 because they'd already used up all their good stuff (suckers!).

Conversely, the Nemesis is unbridled terror, it tried introducing some path branching and new ammo mechanics, and the stakes (and sense of surviving against impossible odds) are much greater.

In short, I suppose you could argue if anything it was Code Veronica that desperately needed a complete revamp from the ground up, not Nemesis.

• Upvote 1

15 year old me hated that you can't blow Zombies heads off in Code Veronica, and 35 year old me feels the same way. Outside of the novelty of the real time graphics, I thought it was pretty dull from a story perspective and coming off the back of 2 and 3, seemed pretty sedate and boring to play.

I tried to replay it last year, then I discovered the PAL DC version doesn't even support VGA either. The game continues to disappoint me 20 years later :lol:

I loved Code Veronica. Good point about the heads not popping though but that’s something they could put in.

• Upvote 1

I love the atmosphere of CV, especially the start of the game. I agree the game has dated quite badly though, which I guess makes it perfect for a remake.

• Upvote 1

CV was  a technical showcase on Dreamcast but its design felt messy and kind of cut n paste - the first three games are way better, and obviously they went in a different direction after that with 4. 

• Upvote 2

NICE - Just played through the demo on PC. As usual there are some little extras to make it last longer longer if you are into that sort of thing. 

I thought I did good getting 6 figurines..urm, I guess not.

22 hours ago, Triple A said:

Started the demo on Xbox one x, but can’t get past the framerate. Gonna try again on pc tomorrow, 120fps phwoar

Phwoar indeed! This looks amazing on PC.

@sdmilne the demo is on Steam already - Go!

This said, I find the Nemesis too bloomin' stressful atm.

• Upvote 1

I didn't get to see much of the Nemesis during my quick go. He killed me the first time I tried to run from him, but the second time I ran up some stairs, dropped down a ladder and had reached the end of the demo! It was good fun, though, and definitely stressful, especially as I haven't played the RE2 remake yet and had no idea how anything would behave. I like the worldbuilding in it so far - there's a real sense of poking around a recently destroyed city and trying to keep out of sight, particularly when you get to the cafe with corpses at the tables and music still twanging away in the background.

This is brilliant, and terrifying. Other than a Romero movie no one does zombies as good as Capcom. 

• Upvote 2

God damn that’s a fun demo. I didn’t do too well in the first playthrough, used up all my ammo and herbs and didn’t get the shotgun but did much better on the second time. 

Can you take Nemesis down? I was too chickenshit to try. 

I've seen other players stun him, but they were playing on easy mode. It must take a lot of firepower otherwise because I've tried and gotten nowhere.

I've played through this about four times now. Once you learn how the Nemesis is triggered and how the demo ends, you can take your time and explore a little. I like how there's multiple routes and shortcut ladders (very Dark Souls). I hope you get to use them to avoid the Nemesis completely. In the demo, one route is blocked so you're forced towards his first encounter.

Does this demo seem a little dark to anyone else?* I tried increasing the brightness but that just washes everything out. She has a torch, but she won't bring it out in the street when it's pitch black. I tried to clear out every zombie so I could more comfortably avoid Nemesis, but so many times zombies seemed to appear out of nowhere. I hope they are crawling out from under cars and not magically spawning, but as it's so dark it's a little hard to tell.

Are the guns a lot less powerful compared to RE2: Remake? The shotgun seems pretty weak to me. But yeah, I know they're just the starting weapons and I suspect there'll be more of an emphasis on upgrades, seeing as in the original Nemesis would drop them. Hopefully later you'll get the guaranteed head pops and instant Robocop limb disintegration.

Also, are there really 20 bobbleheads in this demo? Because I've found 3 max...

*It's those damn settings they make you go through. They always, without fail, make everything way too dark.

Demo was quite fun but nothing compared to the Resi 2 remake's impact. Didn't find Nemesis scary but I only had a brief encounter with him. He scared the crap out of me in the original so I'm sure once he's on your tail it will be as scary as Mr X in the Resi 2 remake. Maybe I'm crap but I found the number of zombies to be hard to deal with, in a good way. I probably missed ammo and I didn't know you could shoot red barrels to blow em up, they aren't that obvious and as nothing static except boxes gets affected by bullets it didn't even occur to me to try to shoot the environment. Not helped by the fact shooting the fire hydrant didn't work (I'm sure we all tried it!). So like in the original I had to leave plenty of zombies around and get dodging/chomped on)

Overall its what I expected. The original Resi 3 was good but it was Nemesis that made it good, all the city streets are very similar and doesn't look like the remakes going to be as good as Resi 2, just like the originals. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong and I hope they rework the level design from the original to make it better. In the original Resi 3 it felt much more linear than the police station so fingers crossed they learn from the high points of the Resi 2 remake, I.e. the excellent level design of the station.

As for Code Veronica, it blew me away at the time and I thought it was the best Resi game. But I recently watched a video about it and it really hasn't aged well, there's loads of backtracking, its all cobbled together and doesn't feel like a real place, some of the enemies are awful and the less said about the characters and story the better! I'd still like to see a major rework of it though, the industrial and Antarctic lab sections were strong and some of the boss ideas were cool. Question is, can you make Steve (was that his name), not a dick?

Aww man, I absolutely LOVED Code Veronica. I remember getting the US version on Dreamcast, and calling my mate in London (I lived in Gloucester at the time) to immediately drive my house and play it. We had done marathon playthroughs of 1 & 2 on the PSOne and were incredibly hyped for CV. He literally jumped in the car and drove to my place the same night and we spent the next 4-5 days rinsing it. Ahhh what simpler times, before work, kids, mortgage etc... :lol:

Anyway back on topic - I can't wait to see what all the other environments look like in this. Seems like the city area has been improved dramatically, really looking forward to seeing the re-imagined settings afterwards. Oh and actually weren't there "big hairy spiders" in this one too - in the clock tower section or something? I wonder if those are in here or were cut like in Resi 2.

• Upvote 4

That trailer at the end of the demo? Amazing! Looks like they will really shuffle this up! 

Lots of returning Remake 2 characters!

I kinda enjoyed CV but the fact you can get stuck at the plane and not progress is one of the lamest moments in RE history.

Might just wait for RE3 to be released rather than trying the demo now mind.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Demo was quite fun but nothing compared to the Resi 2 remake's impact.

Pretty much how I felt. Like going from RE4 to RE5. Enjoyable enough, but with a sense of 'well, yeah. Not sure what I was expecting.'

Does Nemesis follow you around constantly then?

There's very obvious trigger points where he appears/flies off. It's quite comical to repeatedly tease him out then get him to piss off again. He's like "Uh oh, I've gotta be on the other side of that wall so I can dramatically break through, I best make myself scarce..." *whizzes into the sky* He's not exactly the Terminator. I have a feeling these triggers will be placed differently in the final game, they just wanted a memorable ending for the demo.

23 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

There's very obvious trigger points where he appears/flies off. It's quite comical to repeatedly tease him out then get him to piss off again. He's like "Uh oh, I've gotta be on the other side of that wall so I can dramatically break through, I best make myself scarce..." *whizzes into the sky* He's not exactly the Terminator. I have a feeling these triggers will be placed differently in the final game, they just wanted a memorable ending for the demo.

I went down the ladder you kick down and angled the camera up just in time to see him peace the fuck out into nowhere in the sky. It looked comical.

Of course I will still get this but I felt a wee bit of anxiety with him following me...

1 minute ago, DC said:

I went down the ladder you kick down and angled the camera up just in time to see him peace the fuck out into nowhere in the sky. It looked comical.

Of course I will still get this but I felt a wee bit of anxiety with him following me...

Hasn't there always been a suggestion that Nems is a bit of a arsehole who likes toying with his food? Like sure, sometimes he'll straight up chase and hound you and try and smash your face in but others he'll just fuck with you to freak you out. X is merely a Terminator, Nems is more intelligent and a bit of a sadist, like a Predator.

What's the demo's soundtrack like? Is it all new like RE2 or are is there a recognisable homage to the OG Nemesis theme?

He didn't pop up till right near the end on my run through. Don't know if that's the same for everyone.

Anyway, I was happy with one discovery I made:

image.thumb.png.df973dd055423045e62039222b490888.png

• Upvote 4

Did anyone solve the puzzle to open the safe?

I thought those paintings were conspicuous but my thought process didn’t get much farther. 

I googled the code, just like I did for every locker/safe in RE2 because remembering things is really not my strong point. If you want the answer though, it's not really a puzzle at all.

Spoiler

It's circled on the far wall poster in the Pharmacy