rllmuk
mansizerooster

Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

Reviews are a bit disappointing. Still sounds like a decent game to blast through under lockdown but excitement levels down a notch.

My copy was posted by TGC on Friday so I'm hoping to get it in the next couple of days.

Bit unsure of how postal service is coping with the pandemic.

Not what I hoped for after the demo (which I liked). Probably one to get when it's cheap.

I was hoping (praying) that they might expand and lengthen what was a pretty slight game in the first instance so to hear that it is actually stripped back is a downer.

I'm sure I'll have a blast with it still, and I paid for it months ago when it was cheap on cdkeys so it seems almost free now anyway.

I have no interest in that multiplayer bit whatsoever.

Sounds like this one is repeating the original’s inability to live-up to it’s predecessor. Think I’ll still enjoy it for what it is though.

'Perhaps the bigger issue is the lack of puzzles. There are only a few to solve, and none involve much work. I love the silly puzzle-solving in the original Resident Evil games, and the Resident Evil 2 remake had plenty of that, too. What happened here? I'm not sure, but more puzzles would have added variety to the gameplay.'

Yes, it would have slowed everything down and made me bored. Hooray for a lack of puzzles, I say.

35 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

'Perhaps the bigger issue is the lack of puzzles. There are only a few to solve, and none involve much work. I love the silly puzzle-solving in the original Resident Evil games, and the Resident Evil 2 remake had plenty of that, too. What happened here? I'm not sure, but more puzzles would have added variety to the gameplay.'

Yes, it would have slowed everything down and made me bored. Hooray for a lack of puzzles, I say.

Yeah, agreed. Usually I hate puzzles, so this is a positive one for me.

So they have not fixed the issues withe the X version then. That's disappointing.

I will be waiting until it's down to below £20 or on game pass anyway. 

Loved 2 remake and never got round to the Jill capaign or B scenarios so might play that again. 

(Nemesis was my favourite Resident Evil game ever as well.)

RE3 was always a c-tier. So I don’t hate the idea of a compact, action remake. Any omissions probably won’t bother me. Not sure about the £40 pre-order though.

Capcom didn’t really nail either of these remakes, in comparison to REmake. They both look incredible, but the cut content is a disappointment. 

See you in 2040 for RE2make2 and maybe we’ll get the scenarios, moths and spiders.

Resi 3 was always more shooty and less puzzly, then 4 was mega shooty and almost zero puzzly.

A more shooty better looking game than 2 sounds fricking amazing. I’ll stick it on hard to make it last longer.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Capcom didn’t really nail either of these remakes,

nah man.

2 was *chefs kiss*

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

nah man.

2 was *chefs kiss*

Scenario B was a fucking state.

They had the blueprint right there and they fucked it.

I also don't see what was gained by moving the iconic intro run to the police station to midway through Claire's story. They made changes fundamentally disrespectful to the original. The orphanage was a terrible addition, and yet on the other hand the re-imagined plant lab was perfect and a huge improvement.

It was an uneven remake.

• Upvote 2

Wasn't a fan of 2's remake either. They honestly, seriously screwed up the whole point of the B scenario - to the point where it was almost like just rerunning most of the game with minor, minor variations. The original release had cool ideas like if you picked up ammo or upgrades they would be gone when you got there with the other character - the Remake had nothing like that, inexplicably forcing the player to complete the same puzzle another character had already solved but with a different answer. It did, however, have two awful sections where you controlled Ada and Sherry through seriously lame, simple puzzles and stealth sections that did little more than bring a playthrough to a near screeching halt.

Thing is, there's now two types of people wanting two types of Resident Evil. I don't hugely like puzzles or item management (4's Tetris briefcase was perfect, incidentally), and I don't get scared or tense when Mr X shows up for the fiftieth time and you run away, so his appearances were annoying more than anything. Nor do I see any benefit in being unable to pocket a key the size of your finger and having to run back to a safe box and dump in a healing herb to make space just to open a door you found nearby.

Basically, the changes some reviewers are complaining about here are making me consider picking up RE3make despite being fairly bored throughout 2.

And, while some people will no doubt think I'm a raging asshole for not liking the critically beloved Remake of 2 very much, I do highly recommend The Evil Within 2 which I think flew under a lot of people's radar after a pretty middling first outing. You can get it super cheap these days, it was on PC for about £4 at Cdkeys last I checked. The amount of viable approaches to any given situation in that was very welcome indeed.

• Upvote 6

Kotaku review similarly says play time of 4-6 hours which sounds nuts.  I am proving to be awful at these remakes but even double that doesn't really feel like value for money :blah:.

Loved the demo though, so hmmm...

Fair enough if some reviewers are feeling underwhelmed by the RE3 remake, but I wonder how much of that is down to their forgetting/not being aware of how short, linear and action-oriented the original was, or how secretly arcadey the older games can be, heavily encouraging (and rewarding) repeat plays undertaken primarily for the pleasure of getting better at everything. RE3 exemplified this focus on repeat plays, with its multiple-choice events and branching paths through the overall story. If the remake has basically understood and aspired towards this then I'll probably be chuffed with it. 

I can’t wait to play the Game but a little disappointed in the time it takes to complete if true.

Hopefully there are some additional elements patched in later as DLC. 

I have no interest in the online mode, kinda wish the extra team was mobilised to work on the single player. 

Still is one of my favourite franchises and I’m hyped to play it on Friday! 

6 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Fair enough if reviewers are feeling underwhelmed by the RE3 remake, but I wonder how much of that is down to their forgetting/not being aware of how short, linear and action-oriented the original was, or how secretly arcadey the older games can be, heavily encouraging (and rewarding) repeat plays undertaken primarily for the pleasure of getting better at everything. RE3 exemplified this focus on repeat plays, with its multiple-choice events and branching paths through the overall story. If the remake has basically understood and aspired towards this then I'll probably be chuffed with it. 

Unfortunately, it's the decision to wave goodbye to the multiple-choice events (as far as I've read) that cause the game to have significantly less replayability :( . 

Whilst it looks glorious (the REengine is brilliant stuff), it feels like it should have been a chunky DLC pack for RE2.

• Upvote 3

Hmm, the game length is making me consider cancelling my preorder now. I bought it on the store and although I got some cheap credit, the £50 rrp does seem steep now :( 

4 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Hmm, the game length is making me consider cancelling my preorder now. I bought it on the store and although I got some cheap credit, the £50 rrp does seem steep now :( 

Some reviews say 5 hours, some say 12.

• Upvote 1

Just now, womblingfree said:

That’s the kinda thing I want to hear...

Also, with the kids at home and them asking me something every 4 seconds it will probably take me 12 years.

• Upvote 5

58 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Fair enough if some reviewers are feeling underwhelmed by the RE3 remake, but I wonder how much of that is down to their forgetting/not being aware of how short, linear and action-oriented the original was, or how secretly arcadey the older games can be, heavily encouraging (and rewarding) repeat plays undertaken primarily for the pleasure of getting better at everything. RE3 exemplified this focus on repeat plays, with its multiple-choice events and branching paths through the overall story. If the remake has basically understood and aspired towards this then I'll probably be chuffed with it. 

Its one of the reasons why I originally didn't love RE3 when it came out, it was more "arcadey" than anything before, also I felt I had too much firepower on hand but I could be mistaken since my memory is hazy. Its probably why I loved Code Veronica too, it was just the perfect balance of puzzles, action and survival that made RE so good. Still I wouldn't mind playing RE3 remake as I never bothered to complete the original.

7 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Apparently the game doesn't count time spent in the menus, inventory etc. So reviewers are finishing it and seeing that their save file says five hours - but they've likely spent more time playing than that.

• Upvote 2

Still really looking forward to this, but slightly disappointed to hear that the Park/Gravedigger section has been cut along with the clocktower section which I thought was one of the best bits of the old game. :(

2 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

Apparently the game doesn't count time spent in the menus, inventory etc. So reviewers are finishing it and seeing that their save file says five hours - but they've likely spent more time playing than that.

The best RE2 Remake speedrunners can do it in less than 50 minutes.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CheekyMonkey said:

Still really looking forward to this, but slightly disappointed to hear that the Park/Gravedigger section has been cut along with the clocktower section which I thought was one of the best bits of the old game. :(

Yeah, seems crazy to cut anything given RE3 was a slight game anyway. 

@Gizamaluke REmake kept everything from the original, followed all the plot beats and added more content. I don’t think it’s purist, it’s a pretty basic expectation. I could cope with losing the spiders and moths from RE2, but cutting the whole B route stung. It wouldn’t have been as bad if they’d managed expectations instead of repackaging the same playthrough 4 times as a pointless nod. Remember when that reviewer got a ton of shit for saying playthroughs were the same by fans who assumed he’d played scenario A both times.

That said I don’t remember much about the clock tower. The graveyard worm was a highlight though... is that still in or have the cut the entire section? And again cutting the park... I wonder if this engine has issues with larger areas.

It seems like both of these games were mismanaged at some point. Maybe the original direction was wildly unfaithful so they’ve tried to course correct in a short timeframe. I don’t have faith in the Revelations team - those games were stinky bad regardless of what some hardcore fans say.

That’s mad they’ve cut stuff from the original if it’s really that short. With such a short announce-to-release window, I’m sure everyone would have preferred they took longer and had more content.