rllmuk
RJ Badman

Your Unpopular Opinions

The original Sonic 1 for the Mega Drive is the best Sonic game. All subsequent games have tried to build on that formula with varying degrees of success.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, DeDeDe said:

The original Sonic 1 for the Mega Drive is the best Sonic game. All subsequent games have tried to build on that formula with varying degrees of success.

I feel like it was one of the few games that got the pacing right; there were moments of speed but you weren’t holding right to win. ;) CD almost risked being too complex at times, and Mania is superb but it does try and jam a lot of ideas in there... :D 

3 hours ago, PK said:

Adding RPG mechanics to every action/adventure game has made the majority of them tedious chores to play

Done right, they can be good. God of War, for example, makes it feel as if an old, flabby Kratos is returning to his previous strength. Likewise in the Wolfenstein: TNO, getting me to try out different techniques and weapons to unlock the abilities of the main character.

But yes, making me get smacked about in the Elder Scroll games to make me better at 'wearing armour' does nothing to improve the game for me.

Super Mario World is still and always has been an inherently superior game to its main competitor on the Mega Drive, the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Despite its simple graphics, and modest selection of block types, every level of SMW feels genuinely unique and finely-crafted. Contrast that with the chaos and confusion of Sonic series, with its poorly-designed identikit levels and often loud, disorientating graphics. SMW also rewards mastery of its game world with access to its secrets (the Star Road and the special courses), while the Sonic series makes you play sub-games unrelated to the main gameplay in order to be completist. SMW is just better all round as a piece of art and entertainment.

9 hours ago, DeDeDe said:

Yep, full agreement here. It’s vibrant but not too garish, each ‘world’ at least tries to do something unique, the bonus stages at least connects to the core gameplay somehow, and it always entertains more than it ever frustrates.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Super Mario World is still and always has been an inherently superior game to its main competitor on the Mega Drive, the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Despite its simple graphics, and modest selection of block types, every level of SMW feels genuinely unique and finely-crafted. Contrast that with the chaos and confusion of Sonic series, with its poorly-designed identikit levels and often loud, disorientating graphics. SMW also rewards mastery of its game world with access to its secrets (the Star Road and the special courses), while the Sonic series makes you play sub-games unrelated to the main gameplay in order to be completist. SMW is just better all round as a piece of art and entertainment.

Wait, everyone already knows this.

5 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

David Cage has never produced a bad game.

Either the punchline to this is, "because he's never made a proper game", or you've won the thread. :P

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, PK said:

Adding RPG mechanics to every action/adventure game has made the majority of them tedious chores to play

Indeed 100% agree. Recent for me was Gears Of War 5 and the whole upgradable jack thing almongst other stuff. Needless fluff IMHO.

Finally picked up Red Dead Redemption 2 the other day because it was cheap and I wanted to play around in the world. I was actually quite enjoying the story until getting dumped in a camp where I guess I need to go out and start making money and doing stuff. This kind of stuff makes gaming a bit tedious at times - I mean I go there to escape not to actually almost emulate life :)

Saying that finding Shenmue 3 great and enjoying that world so guess it depends how things are implemented.

32 minutes ago, imp said:

Smash Bros might be strategically interesting as a fighter, but feels like garbage to play. The slippery analogue movement and lack of satisfying feedback when hitting an opponent with anything but a smash attack add up to a miserable experience - for me at least.

What the fuck.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, imp said:

Smash Bros might be strategically interesting as a fighter, but feels like garbage to play. The slippery analogue movement and lack of satisfying feedback when hitting an opponent with anything but a smash attack add up to a miserable experience - for me at least.

100% agree with this. Wet paper bags fighting in the breeze. I owned an N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U and now a Switch and I've never ever enjoyed Smash. I love four player local multiplayer games, I love fighting games, I love Nintendo, there is so much for me to love in that game but I do not enjoy it.

On  a similar note, I have tried over and over again to get into Tekken but it feels like you're fighting in a pool of molasses. Squelchy hits, weird floaty physics, input delay, stiff/stilted animations. I have educated myself on the game and enjoy watching it played at high level, and it feels like it'd be right up my street with its emphasis on neutral gameplay and whiff punishing, but it feels awful to me and I can't get past it.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

28 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Either the punchline to this is, "because he's never made a proper game", or you've won the thread. :P

I thought I should let the thread enjoy a few pages of harmless banter before i dropped that bombshell :D

• Upvote 1