rllmuk
RJ Badman

Your Unpopular Opinions

14 minutes ago, Benny said:

There hasn't been a great Star Wars game since Tie Fighter.

I pos'd this but then remember I had completely forgotten about KOTOR which absolutely loved...I see your point though and the pos stays

It's good, but not great.

Spoiler

But mainly because it's got a small enough connection to the original trilogy it could have been any other sci-fi story. IMO

On 24/11/2019 at 13:15, bum said:

The first Shinobi is better than any of its Megadrive sequels.

Shinobi 3 is the best Shinobi game.

32 minutes ago, Benny said:

KOTOR is the best piece of Star Wars media since Empire.

Sengoku 3 is the best brawler ever made, better than SoR2.

20 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Sengoku 3 is the best brawler ever made, better than SoR2.

Imo, there's quite a few scrolling brawlers better than SoR2. Mostly arcade games though. Sengoku 3 definitely fits in that group. And then there's Final Fight, The Punisher (not the woeful MD version though) Alien vs Predator, Cyberbots, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, both TNMT arcade games to name but a few. Even games like Batman Returns and TMNT IV (both) on the SNES were as good if not better than the MD scroller. Imo, of course.

I suppose SoR2's legendary status comes from the fact that at the time for most people it was hands down the best scrolling beat'em up available on home consoles. But I never thought it could compete with a lot of its arcade competitors of the time.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Shinobi 3 is the best Shinobi game.

I’m surprised that Shinobi 3 is not far more well-regarded than Revenge of Shinobi, because it’s aged considerably better, and doesn’t feel as clunky and unforgiving to play. Guess Shinobi 3’s legacy is marred by it not being a Big Impressive Launch Window Title that everyone skews to own and play.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I almost agree with this one (largely semantically as I feel that the KOTORs are great despite the license, and don't meaningfully feel 'Star Wars'y enough to count), but am tripped up by an unpopular opinion of my own: that the original Dark Forces is genuinely great, and is in fact the best FPS of its era with the exception of the DOOMs. 

• Upvote 6

On 25/11/2019 at 02:03, DeDeDe said:

The original Sonic 1 for the Mega Drive is the best Sonic game. All subsequent games have tried to build on that formula with varying degrees of success.

On 25/11/2019 at 11:47, Protocol Penguin said:

Yep, full agreement here. It’s vibrant but not too garish, each ‘world’ at least tries to do something unique, the bonus stages at least connects to the core gameplay somehow, and it always entertains more than it ever frustrates.

I'm always perplexed by people who say that Sonic 1 is the best in the series. Just as I'm perplexed by the weirdos who say that Sonic 3&K somehow represents some sort of massive decline from Sonic 2, and by the people (hi @NEG:bye:) who say the Master System/GG versions of Sonic 1 are the best. (Yeah SMS Sonic 1 has some superior level designs - like my beloved Scrap Brain Act 2 :wub: - but the movement physics are so janky it always feels like a lesser imitation.)

Your opinions might be sincere, but to me they always come across as being smugly contrarian, as if to say: "Of course, I don't need any of those vulgar gimmicks they added in the sequels to fool less discerning players. I was a fan of Sonic's early work, before he sold out. -_-"

Sonic 1's level design is not bad. (If you want an example of disjointed level design that works against the mechanics and has garish graphics, play Sonic CD.) Green Hill and Star Light are among the best levels in any 2D Sonic game. But I can't call Sonic 1 the best because until you know the speedrun routes, Marble has too much waiting on top of moving blocks, and Spring Yard has too much waiting within grids of moving blocks. Labyrinth was superseded by better water levels in the sequels. And it's always felt like a cop-out to make Scrap Brain Act 3 into Labyrinth Act 4.

Having said that, I have seen this absurdly detailed breakdown of Sonic 1's level design which defends Marble Zone by suggesting it's a NES platformer level intentionally thrown into Sonic 1 to highlight to players how Sonic's movement was different from what they were used to.

the bonus stages at least connects to the core gameplay somehow

Can't agree that this is a good thing. I've had a copy of MD Sonic 1 for 25 years now, and I've never got the hang of the Special Stage jumping mechanics well enough to get more than three Emeralds! :lol: I'm fine when it comes to the Sonic & Knuckles slot machine bonus stages, but Sonic 1's jumping has always eluded me. Give me the behind-the-back minigames from Sonic 2, 3&K, CD and Mania any day!

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Benny said:

X-Wing Alliance was pretty great but it's the spawn of Tie Fighter.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

I almost agree with this one (largely semantically as I feel that the KOTORs are great despite the license, and don't meaningfully feel 'Star Wars'y enough to count), but am tripped up by an unpopular opinion of my own: that the original Dark Forces is genuinely great, and is in fact the best FPS of its era with the exception of the DOOMs. 

Dark Forces is genuinely great. :)

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, imp said:

Smash Bros might be strategically interesting as a fighter, but feels like garbage to play. The slippery analogue movement and lack of satisfying feedback when hitting an opponent with anything but a smash attack add up to a miserable experience - for me at least.

I would love for the metric tonnes of fanservice present in Smash Bros to be applied to any other type of game.  I really get into the character reveals & all the excitement, & then I actually try & play it & it all drains away.

• Upvote 1

With Smash Bros I always suspected it was an age thing. I've tried it a few times but to me it feels so horrendously un-fun to play. While @joffocakes looks decades younger than me going by his Twitter, so that supports the age theory.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

With Smash Bros I always suspected it was an age thing. I've tried it a few times but to me it feels so horrendously un-fun to play. While @joffocakes looks decades younger than me going by his Twitter, so that supports the age theory.

OK boomer.

• Downvote 1

The tournament tie-ins in the FIFA series for the World Cup and the Euros are better single player games than the main series. The requirement to focus on only one single event means greater attention is paid to it, with features like replaying key moments from qualification and a real sense of occasion to every match in the final tournament, as well as the variety of teams and venues opting for a spread of ability across the world, rather than focusing on the top end of the game.

Those who clamoured for these events to be DLC were wrong to do so, and the resulting afterthoughts from EA - and Konami too with Euro 2016 - were a fucking shambles.

• Upvote 3