rllmuk
RJ Badman

Your Unpopular Opinions

The worst of the 3D Zelda’s is Wind Waker. 

“worst” meaning “least best” of course, put aside the incredible art direction and you have by far the most undercooked of the 3D Zelda games 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Strafe said:

I don't think you'll find much disagreement with this one.

Nah, Reach is peak Halo. That leads me on to another unpopular opinion...

Master Chief is a shit protagonist. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Which is the worst then?

4 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Sunshite?

Of course it’s Sunshine. If it was something else then *that* would’ve been the real controversial opinion.

11 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Halo peaked (piqued) at 3 . 

I think Reach is better than 3, but not by much. I know Reach's AI squadmates' invincibility bothered some people, but I never minded them. I thought both 3 and Reach were significantly better than ODST, which I know a lot of people loved because of the atmosphere, but I never really clicked with it.

Of course, as @JPL says, the original Halo's the best. :wub:

Saying Halo CE's campaign is better than 2 is not at all controversial here, but in my experience it's an unpopular opinion on American gaming/Halo forums! They seem to value their story canon lore and their awesome cutscenes! and their Badass Arbiter and their \m/ SHREDMETAL \m/ OST more than we do. I mean, look at this nonsense.

• Upvote 2

Turrican and Turrican 2 deserve to be bracketed alongside Shadow of the Beast as Amiga games which have iconic sound and visuals, but utterly lousy gameplay and level design. All style and poor substance, the lot of them.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, McCoy said:

I'd prefer to pay for a great game that lasts 5 hours than a good game that lasts 40 hours. 

Who's got five hours?!

12 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Or any of the Zeldas bar Link to the Past.

Minish Cap and Phantom Thread are pretty good.

I mean, their actual masterpiece is plainly Lemmings (though I suppose semantic arguments around the developer's name at the time could invalidate it, along with everything up to and including GTA III).

• Upvote 4

On 26/11/2019 at 03:08, Nick R said:

I'm always perplexed by people who say that Sonic 1 is the best in the series....

Your opinions might be sincere, but to me they always come across as being smugly contrarian, as if to say: "Of course, I don't need any of those vulgar gimmicks they added in the sequels to fool less discerning players. I was a fan of Sonic's early work, before he sold out. -_-"

Yeah, I get that. It's similar in many ways to the way some people argue that Super Mario Kart is still the best Mario Kart. I came into the Sonic series through the Sonic Advance games--which I'd argue are underrated--so I'm probably seeing the series through a very different viewpoint. However, to me Sonic 1 feels like it's holistically the best Sonic experience. Sure, there are better water levels in subsequent games, but I like the variety in the gameplay and the more obvious ways that the game changes the pace.

Sonic games after Sonic 1 feel like better-made Lost Levels (SMB 2J), if we're doing the Mario comparison. In many ways, they're better games, but somehow they lack something. The added elements are not gimmicks, but they don't make the game an overall better experience.

Having said that, I have seen this absurdly detailed breakdown of Sonic 1's level design which defends Marble Zone by suggesting it's a NES platformer level intentionally thrown into Sonic 1 to highlight to players how Sonic's movement was different from what they were used to.

This is a good read. There are points I disagree with, but so far (Marble Zone) it’s an interesting anatomy of the game.

4 hours ago, DeDeDe said:

One more unpopular opinion: I think the music in the New Super Mario Bros games is rather good. One of the best parts of the series, I think.

I would agree, even though the Koopas briefly pausing to dance along with the "wah-wah" threw off my jumping-on-them timing more than once until I learned to account for it.

There has never been a good example of a mute protagonist. It makes the already (generally) poor writing in games even worse in every way.

• Upvote 3

On 27/11/2019 at 15:02, Lorfarius said:

I don't think Sam & Max is funny. It bored me silly.

If you’re talking the Telltale reimaginings then fair enough, but the original P.C game I’m less inclined to agree with. 

• Upvote 1

On 23/11/2019 at 19:27, Harsin said:

The Yakuza series is far, far better than Shenmue ever was.

Now that I have three Shenmue games on my PS4, I'm thrilled that I no longer have to play Yakuza while pretending it's Shenmue-honest-guv-it's-just-the-same-if-you-squint.

I didn't mind Yakuza, but it's not the Shenmue I wanted it to be.

I kinda get what he's saying, but then I really enjoyed Bloodborne and Sekiro. It's just the Souls games i bounce off.

Maybe its the setting for me. Never really been into medievil settings.

I completely get that take on Souls games. I do kinda like them, and was obsessed with Demon's Souls when it first came out, but they're kinda like Black Forest Gateaux. Nice as a very rare treat, but eating it every day would make me sick as fuck.

• Upvote 2

I've only played the first Souls game, ended up being unfuriated at how difficult some tunnel was with a knight and quitting, never to return.  Experience soured me so much I've never played another.  I did make an attempt to play Bloodbourne which everyone seemed to be raving about but the opening section was so clunky to control and explore I soon sold it.  I love that sort of game but all feel a bit marmite to me and doubt I'll ever attempt another.

• Upvote 3