IGNORED

Nintendo to relie on add-ons for the next 3yrs?

cicinski

If there is any truth to this then;

"Nintendo is teh next Sega!!!1111"

Seriously though. We'll probably see something like a NES/SNES Player, maybe even N64 Player. Gives the GC backwards compatability, a big plus if your a fan of Nintendo games. So very likely to happen. Probably also a RAM expansion seeing as there is one unused port on the underside of the Cube. Or am I mistaken?

http://cube.ign.com/articles/491/491054p1.html

sorry if this has been posted else where.

OMG!111!!!! NINTENDO IS TEH D00M3D!!!!1111

Its certainly an interesting position to take, I have to say that I agree that I'm pretty happy with the Gamecube hardware wise, it's not often that I play a Gamecube game and think "If only it had better graphics!!". If this means lots of killer Gamecube titles then I'm all for it. However if its the start of "add this onto your Gamecube to increase it's performance, Sega 32X style, then I'm inclined for once to agree with the sentament in my first line. ;)

Here's the Nikkei report -

DJ Nintendo Won't Release New Video Game Console -Nikkei (Dow Jones News Service)

Updated: Monday, February 09, 2004 12:11PM ET

OSAKA (Nikkei)--Nintendo Co. (7974.OK) has decided not to release a new video game console to follow its current GameCube for the time being, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Tuesday edition.

The home-use game machine and software developer will instead diversify games and sell newly developed peripherals mainly for the GameCube. It will make games for the current model more appealing, while rivals Sony Corp. (6758.TO) and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) plan to debut high-performance next-generation consoles that can be also used for non-game content such as movies and music.

Nintendo plans to release peripherals as early as 2005. Although details aren't yet known, these devices are expected to diversify playing styles by improving the gaming experience and connections with hand-held units rather than improve graphics and sound quality.

The decision to withhold the release of a new console was made because while the game market is contracting and becoming more diverse, "customers are fully satisfied with the performance of the current model," President Satoru Iwata said.

Nintendo will continue in-house development of a new home-use game machine for release in the future, but for the next two or three years will add functions to the GameCube.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

02-09-04 1211ET

Fnarr!

does anything use the hi-speed port or serial port 2? one of them's not used.

dvd drive? simple hardware upgrade? cards?

i know what it'll be -

Speculation inducer 5000.

Doesn't the GBP plug into one of those. Consoles as a rule always seem to have an unused expansion port. I guess it's easy to build them into the console with only a possibility that it'll ever be used.

Out of interest on the IGN front page there's another story where Miyamoto confirms the developement of the "Next Gamecube", Wind Waker "2" and apparently Mario 128 is so revolutionary that they're worried that people would nick all the ideas if they showed it. They said this for Mario Sunshine IIRC ;)

Nintendo will continue in-house development of a new home-use game machine for release in the future, but for the next two or three years will add functions to the GameCube.

Shocking. I wasn't expecting the follow-up until at least 2006 anyway.

NOA have issued somewhat of a rebuttal to this article. Quoted from http://cube.ign.com:

"First -- much of the Nikkei article is speculation. Mr. Iwata's comments are from a prior interview and not in direct response to the subjects raised in the article," said Nintendo of America's director of public relations Beth Llewlyn. "Second -- We are staying in the hardware business. We're working on our next generation console system and will launch it at the same time as our competitors."

Asked if Nintendo would pull out of the console race, Llewlyn stated: "We're in this business for the long term. We're not getting out of the hardware business."

On the subject of GameCube peripherals, Llewelyn was quiet, but did offer: "Specific details about accessories and their functions haven't been made public yet. It's far too early to make predictions about how well an accessory will do in the marketplace, but we're confident our products will be compelling."

"Our focus remains entertainment and game play versus chasing after technology that doesn't truly enhance the game play experience. We'll incorporate new technology -- whether its hardware, software or accessories -- if it improves the game play experience."

AFAIK, developers like the Gamecube's power and ease of programming, but hate it's lack of RAM and the fact that you can only use effects that are bulit into the system rather than coding your own like on PS2 and Xbox.

The RAM issue could probably be fixed with an add-on, but I don't think it would be so simple to upgrade the operating system.

Or would it? :o

Hmmm... seems pointless to me.

I remember reading that only 1 in 10 people buy add ons for thier consoles, which puts off any third parties because it automatically reduces thier potential market. If Nintendo are prepared to release specific, GC+ titles, then good for them. But I expect it'll be as successful as the 32X.