rllmuk
MattyP

Your future gaming

As we are on the edge of yet another console generation just thought I'd open up a topic about where you think you'll be doing  your gaming in future.

I currently have the three main consoles out there now but going forward just want one, Sick of hardware clutter these days and finding increasingly frustrating that the market seems to becoming more fragmented than I expected, with Google, Apple and Amazon all starting to invest into the gaming arena and releasing services and devices. I expect they will be all vying for some kind of exclusive content so potentially if you wanted to play game X then you'll have to buy into platform/service X. 

Not sure at the moment  where I want to be playing games going forward - streaming, digital download services. (eg gamepass), digital downloads, discs / carts. Like everything seemingly in life these days its become a bewildering amount of choices and options just seems mindblowing at times. 

At the  moment just thinking of going back to the humble PC as it seems to cover most options and gives a bit more freedom of what content you can get access too. Will Nintendo ever release content on the PC though?! Really don't want to buy another Nintendo machine just to play the odd few exclusives that come up and Nintendo offer a streaming service?! :) 

Just hoping at some point in the future everything sorts itself out. I wish platform holders would work together and define a standard... Yes I know 3DO :) but times are different now practically all are using x86 architecture derivatives and the content is where the money is made. Think ultimately MS may have the best direction on this as Xbox is becoming a service based platform and will work across all devices that have an app installed.

One thing for sure the future is going to be full of choices.:..

Where are you at?

• Upvote 3

PlayStation. Been there since 1995 and it's where all my "gaming things" are: from physical and digital purchases to friends and Trophies.

Often I think of buying a Switch and/or an Xbox One X (the one system that works best with my LG 4k OLED), but I just can not justify the cost: neither Switch and Xbox provide enough exclusives that intertest me.

2 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I'll stick with me PC to be honest.

Indeed the fact that MS have moved Xbox onto the PC too is quite appealing also xCloud too so hopefully I'll be able to play games easily via streaming tech on the big TV too.

For the time being just going to sit back though and watch everything unfold more than enough content to get through at the moment.....

I'm considering PC. My current desktop's quite old but still pretty competent (for the games I want to play, at least) - the graphics card is the only thing really holding it back.

On the other hand, I kind of go where the best exclusives are, so it'll be interesting to see if anything draws me towards one of the next-gen formats. I'm also keen to find out if Sony will develop VR stuff further - a more compact solution to the breakout box and a low-cost headset could be tempting...

I'll be Xbox and Switch next gen. Gamepass has me covered until 2022 and I value my portable gaming time. Should do me well enough. 

2 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

Switch is my jam and this isn’t even its final Animal Crossing form. Whatever comes between now and Nintendo’s next console is playing a supporting role.

:) I was trying to go Switch and PC only earlier on in the year as part of my de-cluttering exercise. But then came along Death Stranded and ended up with Shenmue 3 on PS4 too... hmmm.... :)

Guess its all in the exclusives. Really wish Nintendo would offer some kind of steaming service / port to the PC. In an ideal world for me the next Mario would be licensed to run on the Xbox service! :twisted: I wasn't really bothered about the whole portable aspect of the Switch as it stays docked almost permanently and the Pro controller is pretty much an X-Box controller anyway.

Think its probably only Nintendo that will break me next gen to buying a machine from them. Although held out for a while with the Switch.

Each gen I wonder if I'll go back to PC gaming.

Last gen I ended up with PS3, 360 and Wii/WiiU; this gen PS4 and Switch only.

I can't see me not buying a Nintendo console, so it's whether I also go PS5 or go back to PC gaming after 2 decades away from it.

Count me in as a potential PC Mainer. I'm currently saving for a new build from scratch and then probably keep an eye on things.  Probably keep on with the Switch or whatever else gets released in years to come. 

However, I'm prone to impulse purchases....

I have now sold my PS4 and Xbox One S and will be focussing on the PC also.

i am buying a new one in fact. Probably a Ryzen 9 based setup.

Over the last few months all the big console games are available on PC. ( some need patches lol I know ) 

i see it, that some of the launch PS5 and new Xbox games will all be available on the PC.

besides I will wait until there’s a Revision on the PS5 or new Xbox before even considering one.

i have become quite fed up of being a guinea pig :)

I also would like an Occulus Quest. So will be watching what happens with that too.

Game development needs to move on as well. look at how shit Anthem was.

• Upvote 2

PC gaming will be my main focus for sure (HL:Alyx in VR...)

download.jpg.84e658df4014e127ac70fa3f2969a339.jpg

Like @mdn2, I also have Live/GamePass until 2022 so I may move my OneX over to a Scarlett at some point too if theres a good reason.

My son is a PS4 evangelist, so no doubt the house will end up with a PS5 too, at some point. But I wont get much of a look in on it...

Game Pass until 2022 here, so I'm not only in on Scarlett (a cunning move by Microsoft) this also means I won't have to buy another game until 2022. Just the new console, which is very weird to me because I always buy as many games as I can afford on hype launch day.

• Upvote 1

PC and a return back to PlayStation if they do backwards compatibility. 

side order of Gamepass PC to get the exclusive stuff of course ;)

• Upvote 1

PC, with a gamepass subscription until 2022 to pick up the scraps of the last generation. Probably pick up whatever Nintendo does next as well.

Got a silly current gen Ryzen already, it's just a case of removing the 1070 and slapping in the next big card - maybe big Navi, maybe the next series of RTX cards. There's still plenty of time to wait it out while its driving a cheap and decent 1080p telly.

I'll probably do the same as this generation, and wait until there's a good ten or so great games before digging my wallet out for a console bundle. Gets less justifiable every gen, mind, due to cross-pollination of exclusives to PC.

I'd like to get a PS5, although will probably wait until a few months after launch as quite content with my Pro for this gen's sunset. Also have a pile of shame to clear, and think I'd like to polish that off to reset before a new generation. Add in whatever comes out on PS+ in the next 12 months, and hopefully Cyberpunk and Doom Eternal turn out well, and shouldn't be in a rush to upgrade.

Curious to see what will be the big PS5 launch title. Guess there's a slim chance it might be a Spider-Man sequel, or more likely Horizon Zero Dawn 2 (Horizon Zero Mid-Morning?)

I’ve been a PC only for a while now.  My last home based console was an x360.  I’m PC only for the foreseeable future especially as a VR evangelist it’s the place to be.

• Upvote 1

This gen, I've bought a switch, PS4 and PS4 Pro, Xbox One (original and S) and Xbox One X. I still own the Switch, Pro and Xbox One X. I do most of my gaming on the One X and Switch.

Having upgraded to each of the more powerful consoles, I think I will be quite hesitant to upgrade to the next gen consoles straight away. I don't need games to look any better than they already do and it seems MS plans to have Halo Infinite come out on Xbox One as well as whatever Scarlett ends up being.

I'm hoping to just keep going with what I've got and eventually pick one of the next gen consoles rather than owning them all again. We'll see how that pans out, though. Sony's Exclusives will probably rope in, as will Game Pass on Xbox.

Sony's bland exclusives and weak PS+ service has been a disappointment, so I'll be switching back to Xbox for some of that sweet Game Pass action and the new Halo. For smaller stuff I'm pretty happy with Apple Arcade.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

19 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

and it seems MS plans to have Halo Infinite come out on Xbox One as well

Well, it seems like a fairly safe bet that you'll be able to stream all the new Scarlett games to your X through Xcloud. A version running natively on the X, which also means it would have to also run on the potato OG XB1? Maybe, maybe not...

Anyway, I said Scarlett above because Game Pass but the moment Spider-Man 2 appears on PS5 I'm there. 

It'll be PlayStation.

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, Media Molecule, Japan Studio, Polyphony, Bend.

That's a lot of 1st party studios who've made some amazing games. I'm all in.

As another member of the Game Pass Ultimate until 2022 crew it's totally pointless me buying anything other than a Scarlett.

I prefer the varied range of exclusives

£200 off a Scarlett thanks to saved Xbox Rewards 

Large selection of digital games from the last six years

Elite 2 controller

Dolby Atmos headphones and A/V

I hope Nintendo continue to do well but the Switch hasn't hasn't grabbed me much so far.