rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stanshall

Will the Switch follow-up have backwards compatibility?

Will the Switch follow-up have backwards compatibility?   

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Given how we're still waiting for new nes and SNES games for the Switch and they actually reduced the regularity of releases I don't have faith in Nintendo to do it.

There must be some business reason as to why they've not released GameCube games digitally because that is guaranteed bank and yet here we are still without even the virtual console choice the Wii had.

• Upvote 3

Nintendo love to remake their games. They're a little behind the curve when it comes to accounts and legacy systems too.

The Switch topic is full of people saying they've bought game x for the 2nd 3rd 4th time because it's on Switch. Nintendo know this.

No backwards compatibility.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Revival said:

Nintendo love to remake their games. They're a little behind the curve when it comes to accounts and legacy systems too.

The Switch topic is full of people saying they've bought game x for the 2nd 3rd 4th time because it's on Switch. Nintendo know this.

No backwards compatibility.

I think it maybe different in future.... there is an expectation these days that games that have been bought before will work on new hardware. Much like phones and other tech.....

I don't think Nintendo will get away with it again.... 

• Upvote 1

They will, and those who've posted that they bought such and such games for the fourth or fifth time because they're on Switch, will post about buying those same games for the fifth or sixth time because they're on Switch 2.

Things work differently in the world of Nintendo.

• Upvote 5

You can always rely on Nintendo to take a good idea and put their own Nintendo spin on it with the resultant product being simultaneously incredible and full of the most annoying fucking boneheaded decisions that are literally incomprehensible.

I've also learned it's pointless trying to predict what Nintendo are going to do next. I think the drugs are very different over there.

• Upvote 6

17 minutes ago, Flub said:

I've also learned it's pointless trying to predict what Nintendo are going to do next. I think the drugs are very different over there.

Yup. And thats why we love 'em eh and they are the oldest consumer hardware/software gaming company around

Looks at lots of folded cardboard creations on the shelf.... :)

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

I think it maybe different in future.... there is an expectation these days that games that have been bought before will work on new hardware. Much like phones and other tech.....

I don't think Nintendo will get away with it again.... 

People have been saying that about Nintendo games and account systems for literally ten years. They’re still yet to let any digital games carry over generations. I doubt they’ll do it next time.

Like Gerbik said, the general rules don’t seem to apply to Nintendo. If I had a pound for every time I was sure their terrible value and quality in some area was going to stop something from selling, I’d still have a shitload less than Nintendo made on those weird products that ripped off their biggest fans or ignored tech trends that the rest of the industry universally adopted five years ago. They just keep making money.

Sony and Microsoft are selling yet another box that’s practically identical to the other company’s box with a controller design that calcified in 2001, back compatibility is more of a commercial and technological problem than a design one for them. Nintendo are so hell bent on making each console a bespoke realisation of a new vision for how to play games - and more power to them - that it’s impossible to say whether BC makes sense. Could a superior handheld take Switch game cards and play in each game’s handheld mode? Could a new home console take those cards and play in Tv mode? Could it just be another hybrid? Probably in each case.

But their selling point this time was to facilitate seamless home-to-handheld gaming by designing a tablet you rip the sides off and dock to a TV. Will the next one be all streaming? A traditional console? An accessories platform for Sony and Microsoft? There are all sorts of crazy plays I wouldn’t put beyond them that would make BC a baffling design problem.

• Upvote 8

Wii played gamecube games, wii u played wii games. Ds played gba games, 3ds played ds games.

So yes, I expect if there's a switch 2 that's relatively similar in terms of hardware design, it will be backwards compatible with one previous generation.

I think the lesson from the wii u's lack of official gamecube support (despite hackers being able to add full support) is that we shouldn't ever expect any more than a single generation of BC from Nintendo.

The generation after next is when you'll be buying full price ports of your switch games again.

Also I wouldnt be surprised if any BC is digital only now that they have a pretty established eshop (like psp BC on vita).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

They've had backwards compatibility for several generations in the past on handheld so yes. 

And indeed on home consoles - Wii played Gamecube and Wii U played Wii.

8 hours ago, Broker said:

People have been saying that about Nintendo games and account systems for literally ten years. They’re still yet to let any digital games carry over generations. I doubt they’ll do it next time.

They let Wii owners transfer all their eshop purchases to the Wii U.

As part of the development of the Switch, the criteria was to have a less fragmented development platform so their development teams could be more productive, in a similar way to iOS works.

So I could see the Switch brand/platform being used for a number of years, with backwards compatibility.

I'm assuming that we won't see an actual follow-up to the Switch until at least halfway through the upcoming generation. Nintendo stepped out of that race with the Wii and they do their own thing. PS5 and XB2 launching next year says absolutely nothing about Nintendo's schedule - that's strictly between Sony and Microsoft.

22 hours ago, MattyP said:

I think it maybe different in future.... there is an expectation

Nintendo don’t work for expectation.  I learnt that lesson a long time ago

I wonder what the likelihood is of an updated Switch being capable of doing “Pro” versions of current games? Like boosting fps, improving textures, resolution etc

thinking specifically of stuff like Witcher 3, Doom, Overwatch etc. 

Obvs the Witcher port had the secret menu that allowed for higher fps and Mortal Kombat 11 runs the current switch overclocked a little. 

On 28/11/2019 at 07:07, womblingfree said:

Nintendo will make you buy their old games repeatedly on different systems until the death of the Universe. 

See also: Nintendo will make you buy their latest systems repeatedly as different models until... etc etc

(well, their handhelds at least)

What I said in another thread. Basically still my thoughts on the topic;

I can’t imagine any sort of serious upgrade to the Switch any time soon. It’s pretty clear that Nintendo are playing a different game to Sony/MS and they’ve only just started their next phase in the Switch evolution by positioning it as the successor to the 3DS. The whole point of the Switch is that it can be both handheld and home console, they wouldn’t want to fragment that market by releasing a new vastly superior version. 

Don’t forget that technically the Switch is Nintendo’s answer to the PS5/Next Xbox, the WiiU was part of the PS4/Xbone gen, it’s failure meaning that it had to be killed off early and the Switch released probably earlier than Nintendo would have ideally liked.

Also considering what with Nintendo’s handheld cycles usually lasting longer than console cycles and are mostly reactive to competitors entering the market or sale drops rather than a desire to push more advanced tech. I wouldn’t be holding out on a Next switch. Console tweaks and variations, that’s what Nintendo always do, but an actual significantly improved version, you might be waiting for a few more years. If you want a Switch buy one now, it’s already great at what it does. 

BC from an under the hood technical feasibility POV seems 50/50 at present.

Nvidia don't have a known much better direct replacement for the Tegra X1 available AFAIK. Their mobile division seems more interested in other sectors after the failure to establish themselves as a viable alternative to Qualcomm or the Asians.

All prior Nintendo recent generation BC has relied on re-use of the prior gen hardware to enable the feature.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what Nintendo do, change supplier once again or pay Nvidia market rate for a Wii U-style custom chip that has the Tegra X1 bits included to enable BC.

• Upvote 1