rllmuk
Gotters

New Hardware - The Bad Games We Play/Buy

Prompted by paying £54 for Grid on Stadia it set me back down memory lane thinking of every new machine I've bought over the years, and the poor games I've paid thru the nose for and played to justify that purchase and wring some entertainment out it.

The other one that jumped straight to mind was going into Milton Keynes shopping centre and spending £50 (IIRC) for the awful Jumping Flash on PS1 - in the era before game trade-ins this sort of thing really left a dent in your pocket.

It's not only buying them, but then telling yourself and others that they are a glimpse of the future, what the machine is capable of etc. It's exactly what I'm thinking towards Grid, it's selling me the concept of the service rather than entertaining me massively as a game.

So share your overpriced purchases or the launch games you think weren't very good but showed something of what was to come. Not every launch game is Super Mario World or Breath of the Wild.

Only ever bought one console at the actual launch and that was a 360! The games I got with it were Condemned, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Call of Duty 2. Not a bad selection at all.

When I have eventually bought machines however I think Cybernorph on the Jaguar is probably ranks as a poor game but showed the potential of the machine 

The only systems I’ve bought on launch have been quite recent - with the Vita I picked up Everybody’s Golf and Wipeout 2048, but I don’t think either of those are bad games! However, I had an offer of a free download of Wipeout 2048 if I set up the SIM and 3G stuff... and I had trouble doing this, which is why I bought Wipeout 2048 (I did eventually succeed and sold my extra code on here!)

I also bought the PSVR on launch along with Tumble VR and Rez Infinite - I only bought Tumble because I had no experience with modern VR and I wanted to get used to being in a 3D virtual space, but I think it’s actually a decent game!

Bought a 360 at launch with Project Gotham Racing 3 and Perfect Dark Zero. Now, PD0 turned out to be terrible and by far the worst 360 game I had the misfortune of playing during that generation, but PGR3 was the real absurd purchasing decision for me.

You see, at least with PD0 and its pedigree and it being a co-op FPS, there was a realistic chance that I would be able to wring some kind of fun out of it. But PGR3 is a racing game and I don't like racing games at all. And I knew that going in! I knew I would get zero enjoyment out of that game! And yet I bought it full price due to launch hype and a desire to look at pretty graphics. I blame that one rllmuk thread that convinced me it looked photo realistic, indistinguishable from real life.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mr Tony said:

PGR3 is not a bad game. :quote:

You just have bad taste... 

Read my post again. I never said it was. I'm sure it's an excellent game, but I don't like racing games. It could be the best racing game ever made and it still wouldn't be for me.

• Upvote 1

I didn't like Condemned. I'm sure I got Perfect Dark Zero pretty early on but can't have played much - I'm not sure what I did play!? Maybe Halo 2 on backwards compatibility.

I didn't get King Kong but loads of people did - was that at launch?

I thought I was going to fall into this trap getting Super Monkey Ball on my US GCN but it turned out to be the best game ever. Star Wars wasn't great though and the Simpsons Crazy Taxi rip off.

I traded in my standard 3DSXL and paid about another £100 for a *new* 3DSXL at launch just so I could play the port of Xenoblade Chronicles. I hadn't played it on the Wii and physical versions were about £70 at the time. For some reason I thought it would be utterly brilliant, but I got about 20 hours into it before I got bored and the repeated voice lines started to grate too much, so I sold it on. After that Nintendo didn't bother to release another game that required the extra capabilities of the *new* 3DS. The 3D was a lot more stable than on the standard consoles, however, and it's still a lovely bit of kit, so I don't regret it too much. With the Switch, however, I haven't turned it on now in over a year :(

• Empathy 2

That really unremarkable action RPG on PS3, Folklore? I played a lot of that before getting really terminally bored. Boy, PS3 was the wrong console to have bought at launch.

• Upvote 2

I remember playing both Ryse and Knack at a videogame cafe when the Xbone and PS4 were released. Both were absolute stinkers. Seeing that they were the big launch titles for the respective systems it convinced me that there’s no rush to buy into this new gen. 

Strangely both games seemed to have got a following on here at the time who fiercely defended them 

• Upvote 2

Acquiring several AGA versions of games for my then-new Amiga 1200 that I already owned the OCS versions of wasn't a good move. Particularly as the AGA re-dos almost always looked visually cluttered and garish. The Chaos Engine was the only one that seemed a visual improvement, IMO, due to its subtle changes to its colour palette.

I bought my (PAL) GameCube with Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron because that was the bundle offered by Woolworths. Luigi's Mansion I loved, and still do, despite its brevity, but Rogue Squadron I've always thought was just little more than a tech demo with a popular branding attached. Perhaps Star Wars fans would argue differently?

I bought Super Mario 64 DS on (UK) Nintendo DS launch day, because it seemed the least-worst launch game. Or the one that would last the longest to completion, unlike Wario Ware. I know Super Mario 64 DS wasn't critically mauled or anything back in 2004/5, but in retrospect it was pretty awful, and genuinely one the worst things Nintendo has released under the banner of the Mario series in the last two decades. How Nintendo released something that controlled so poorly, I have no idea...

(As an inversion of this trope, I bought Tetris DX with my Game Boy Color to justify getting the new Game Boy at launch, to the derision of my parents, who couldn't believe that I'd paid to buy a mere variation of something that I already had. You know what? It was one of the best purchases I made for the GBC, and competed very strongly with my imported copy of Pokémon Blue for dominance of the cartridge slot.)

• Upvote 1

Japanese Dreamcast. Sonic Adventure was bugged. Blue Stinger wasn’t that great. I couldn’t read any of the instructions of how to use the VMU.

• Empathy 1

It's kind of nice that we have cross-generation games now to take the sting out of this. And even before those, there have been honestly decent, interesting games at every console launch, right? Ground-breaking things like Mario 64 seem to be the exception but even the PS2 had TimeSplitters.

Now, the 6-18 months after launch, where you're craving novelty but the important launch games are gone, and the big post-launch content has yet to arrive, that's where it gets interesting. I remember talking @Spacehost in to getting Extermination over Onimusha and I'm not completely sure I was wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Japanese Dreamcast. Sonic Adventure was bugged. Blue Stinger wasn’t that great. I couldn’t read any of the instructions of how to use the VMU.

Sonic adventure wasn’t available at launch was it? VF3tb was the big hitter. I’m one of the few who see Sonic Adventure as good as Mario 64. Blew my mind at the time. Completed it so many times over the years 

I didn’t bother pre-ordering a PS4 and then get caught by the hype the week of release. The only way I could get a console was by buying a “mega” bundle from GAME. £655 later I had a PS4; two controllers; a camera; Killzone; Call of Duty; Battlefield; FIFA; Assassin’s Creed and Need for Speed.

I don’t do first person shooters or FIFA; and despite my best efforts to like Assassin’s Creed (it was the Pirate one) I don’t do stealth. So I essentially paid £655 to play Need for Speed Rivals. I completely rinsed it, 100% the single player side of things despite it not being that good. Great times.

23 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I don’t think anyone is going to top this insanity . 

I see your challenge, and reply with my N-Gage with Pandemonium, and Gizmondo with Trailblazer. Not only were the games fairly uninspiring, but in both cases you have legendarily terrible hardware.

• Upvote 2

Having played a bit more of Grid I feel bad for calling it out as new ‘console’ shovel ware - it’s a solid but massively overpriced title and there is some fun to be had from it.

I think most of my launch/near launch console experiences have been good.

The best is undoubtedly the game cube. I remember getting super monkey Ball, Tony hawk's 3 and Luigi's mansion on launch, then pikmin soon after.

Psp I got an import with lumines which was amazing and mercury which wasn't bad either.

Then the 360 had pgr3 which is one of my favourite games of all time.

• Upvote 1