rllmuk
MattyP

Happy 25th birthday PlayStation

OK day out it was December 4th 1994 in Japan.

Just thought I'd start a new topic up for this because well the PlayStation deserves this!

Now I feel old. Never had one at launch (I was on PC back then). My brother did though. I was mightly impressed when I saw Resident Evil back then ...  A video playing on a games console, the sound, the graphics. WipEout again impressed. To get a PC to do similar things cost an arm and leg back then. 

Recently played both WipEout and Resident Evil again on the PSVR. The amount of progress that has been made amazes me at times and funnily enough picked up both WipEout and Resident Evil yesterday for the PS4. Two games that IMHO defined the PlayStation and made a statement of intent for the brand. :)

Who knows what the next 25 years will hold for Sony with it's PlayStation brand. One thing is for sure they sure shook up the market and defined a new one for themselves and arguably brought MS and other players into gaming too.

And there was me thinking "What does a TV and Audio equipment manufacturer know about gaming!" back when it released. I was a Sega Saturn fan. :)

Anyway happy belated birthday PlayStation. You made and make gaming a better place. A third place. ;)

What are your memories of the original PlayStation it's launch, opinions and experiences?

Have a great day everyone....

• Upvote 7

I bought a launch PAL one in 95, my first year of uni in Manchester.  Damn I feel old.

So many amazing memories though - Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Wipeout 2097, Metal Gear, Micro Machines, Ridge Racer, Soul Blade / Calibur, Tony Hawk, Resident Evil.  What a machine!

Sidenote - I was lucky enough to win a limited edition 20th Anniversary PS4 and ended up selling it for 2,500 quid to a rich kid in Dubai :)

image.png.4ee5f354513e0d6d70b7dc8c8550e3ca.png

Is there a 25th anniversary edition, so I can try to take advantage again?

• Upvote 7

I was a massive Nintendo fanatic, so I ignored the PS1 as much as possible out of principle :lol: Waited impatiently for the N64 to come out... about a decade or so later iirc. To be honest, Mario 64 was totally worth it and it was by far the best thing to come out of that generation, but man at some point I saw the intro movie of Final Fantasy 7 running on a screen in my local game shop. My jaw dropped. I loved Final Fantasy 6 on the SNES so a month later I used all my savings from my summer job to buy a PS1 with FF7. And Tomb Raider, that was an unavoidable pack-in. Granted, the in-game graphics of FF7 were of course not at the level of that CGI intro but it still blew my mind.

I fucking loved that FF7 and was totally blown away by it. Finished it 2 times in a row (!!) (nowadays it's a miracle when I finish a game even once, never mind two times in a row :lol: Certainly not an epic RPG that I put around 100 hours per playthrough into :lol: Man, I had so much free time as a teenager without a girlfriend...). After finishing it the second time, I immediately started a third playthrough (!!!) but only got as far as halfway through the second disc.

But what about Tomb Raider 1? Well, I had just played and rinsed Mario 64. I wasn't prepared for digital controls and the shonky polygons of the PS1 - I remember moving forward at the very start of the game and honest to God thinking there was and earthquake in the game! :lol: I was so used to the solidness of Mario 64, the way the PS1 polygon flickered and shook all over the place was quite a shock. I got as far as the end of the first level before packing it in. It would probably have been a lot different if I'd played Tomb Raider first. Even that early in the generation it was difficult to go back.

Tomb Raider notwithstanding, I became a huge fan of the PS1. At that point I was crazy about JRPGs and the PS1 delivered. FF7, Suikoden, Xenogears, about a bazillion others I'm forgetting... Resident Evil was also mind blowing. And of course Tenchu. Tenchu was the game that introduced me to the concept of stealth in games and it forever changed my main preferences in gaming. It's easily my most played game of that generation. Yes, even with the hundreds of hours I put into FF7. 

PS1, the little polygon engine console that could :wub:

• Upvote 9

Loved the PS1. I had so many great times with it. One does stand out though. 

I played through the entirety of Silent Hill in B&W as we were given in NTSC import of the game. I played this through with my Mum and it was such a great experience. I don;t know if the B&W added anything to the atmosphere, but going back a few years later and playing in colour seemed to lose something for me. 

Anyway, I remember being blown away by the part where you move Harry through an alley way and the camera looks down on him but moves in way that made it feel disorientating. It wasn't much in the grand scheme of things, but it was the first time I'd seen anything like it. 

We had no guides or anything and fumbled our way through to completion together. I'll never forget those days. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

“in Japan” doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Not really it was the first day the PlayStation went on sale for the public to buy! It left the factory and was available. :)

Just now, MattyP said:

Not really it was the first day the PlayStation went on sale for the public to buy! No matter the country. It left the factory and was available. :)

I sold my Atari Jaguar and bought a Playstation in launch week. Best decision I ever made, even though it was a couple of months before I had enough money to buy a game for it.

I remember reading about the PlayStation in early edge magazines around Isis 4/5 when developers were starting to say what it was capable of. It blew my mind. Then I remember seeing a clip of ridge racer running on it in an episode of bad influence and being even more blown away. Had a pal machine on day one and basically played ridge racer non stop for months. Then tekken came out as changed the game and later on I got wipeout. I’m amazed how happy I and others would be with so few games. I can’t list all the amazing experiences I had but my favourite has to be playing resident evil with my brother and a friend. Taking it in turns room by room late into the night. It’s fair to say that games changed a lot since 1995. 

• Upvote 1

As I've mentioned a few times, I worked for SCEE doing QA in the run up to the launch of the PS1 (I also went back in the run up to the PS2 launch, coincidentally). I'd been doing some work for Psygnosis for a couple of years prior to that, so had seen early dev stations and had some idea of how powerful they were. 

When I went to SCEE and saw Tekken, Ridge Racer, Jumping Flash and all those early titles, I was properly blown away by this little blue / grey box playing actual arcade quality games on a TV. We'd used "arcade quality before with things like Street Fighter II on the SNES, but there was always compromise. Suddenly, there was no compromise and we could see the death of arcades...

• Upvote 2

If someone doesn’t put a comma in the title, l’m going to keep thinking they’ve only just sold their 25th or Matty’s been particularly unlucky when it comes to faulty hardware. 

• Upvote 1

Released in Japan 4th December 1994, in my hands 3 days later, 7th December 1994 for £525 plus Ridge Racer. Was offered £1,000 for it many times, but resisted. 

When Ridge Racer booted up it was awesome. Full 60 Hz Arcade Glory on my RGB Monitor!

Played Ridge Racer till fingers hurt and beat the Black Car. Happy memories

• Upvote 7

Reading this thread earlier inspired me to write about a fun afternoon I had at work 25 odd years ago....

http://www.threefieldsentertainment.com/2019/12/05/celebrating-25th-anniversary-of-the-launch-of-the-first-sony-playstation-stories-from-a-blue-playstation/

Whilst you're there, do sign up to our 'dangerous driving club' as well. It's a jolly splendid thing to do.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Parappa said:

As part of this make ps5 compatible with all previous gen consoles. Not just digital.

Imagine the CEX price hikes

ftfy...

• Upvote 1

On 05/12/2019 at 08:10, mansizerooster said:

So approx 29 years ago Nintendo made one of the worst and most fateful decisions of their lifetime.

I don't know, they seem to be doing alright.