IGNORED

Free Guy

JohnC

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

I know its a 12a but is it suitable for a 10 yr old do we think? what is the 12a "for"? violence, swearing mild peril?

BBFC mentions

Hide contents

There is infrequent strong language ('f**k'),

There are moderate sex references, including references to strippers, virginity and masturbation. There is also innuendo

Are those particular egrigious or regular?

not really - one of the dogiest refrences was also one of the funniest bits in the film and it flew right over my kids heads (14 and 10)

Honest review:

CAPWN WAS RIGHT.

What a horribly cynical, embarrassing, unfunny load of shite.

Spoiler

For a film that ends on the line “there is no bank any more, we can do what we want”, it was one of the most nakedly, unashamedly capitalist films I’ve ever seen. Two hours of marketing disguised as cringey pop culture references which would make Ready Player One and Ralph Breaks the Internet feel ashamed.

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Honest review:

CAPWN WAS RIGHT.

What a horribly cynical, embarrassing, unfunny load of shite.

Hide contents

For a film that ends on the line “there is no bank any more, we can do what we want”, it was one of the most nakedly, unashamedly capitalist films I’ve ever seen. Two hours of marketing disguised as cringey pop culture references that would make Ready Player One and Ralph Breaks the Internet feel ashamed.

Marketing for what? I didn’t notice any specific product placement, unless you’re referring to the YouTubers who probably have about 96 billion followers already.

As suspected, from the trailers, this was fucking awful. Is it the weapons-grade crime against cinema and literature (the book is worse than the film) that Ready Player One was? No. Is it as bad as Pixels? Not quite. 

However, it is essentially Reynolds gurning his way through yet another staggeringly ill thought out videogame movie packed with HOW DO YOU DO FELLOW KIDS energy and lifting from other movies like a cultural pickpocket on crack while ultimately only managing to deliver a torrent of cringe. 

2 hours ago, cavalcade said:

As suspected, from the trailers, this was fucking awful. Is it the weapons-grade crime against cinema and literature (the book is worse than the film) that Ready Player One was? No. Is it as bad as Pixels? Not quite. 

However, it is essentially Reynolds gurning his way through yet another staggeringly ill thought out videogame movie packed with HOW DO YOU DO FELLOW KIDS energy and lifting from other movies like a cultural pickpocket on crack while ultimately only managing to deliver a torrent of cringe. 

Okay boomer!

Really enjoyed this as did my kids.

Didn't feel too irresponsible letting my 8 year old see it as the language isn't too bad and, as mentioned earlier, the very few sexual references went over their heads.

its good fun and pretty decently paced.

Spoiler

Didn't realise Channing Tatum was in it and the splurge of references near the end was great - especially the MCU cameo.

Well that was absolutely ridiculous and brilliant and hilarious and quite sweet and just a great couple hours back at the cinema. There is one scene in particular, around the middle that had me proper choking with laughter. It doesn’t do a lot new on the whole ‘gaming world’ setting but some of the references and key moments are played perfectly.

I’m a little confused as to how this kind of movie could generate such hatred towards it but no doubt I’m missing something so not going to pull on that thread.

Reynolds is great, Waititi is gloriously over the top and I want to see it again very soon. 

On 16/08/2021 at 09:12, hub2 said:
  Hide contents

I admit I had an unexpected guffaw when Chris Evans had a momentary cameo.

I loved that bit, proper laughs in the cinema. 

I loved the film overall too, it's just so wholesome and inoffensive throughout and surprisingly quite touching too. It helps that I will watch nearly any old rubbish with Reynolds in, but there was a nice chemistry between him and Comer. 

Plus who doesn't like Stranger Things Steve and his big hair? Wrong people, that's who.

2 hours ago, MardiganX said:

It doesn’t do a lot new on the whole ‘gaming world’ setting but some of the references and key moments are played perfectly.

I really liked the fact that it doesn't treat gaming as some silly thing for kids and its not there to be the butt of any jokes (though obviously some of the players are) - it is accepted as a normal pursuit for anybody and instead allows the story to feel quite, well, grounded. That's no doubt helped by the fact the various actual streamers give it some legitimacy for those who know them (I didn't realise they weren't just characters until somebody posted above about girls wanting to see one of them.)

My wife (who knows nothing about gaming or youtubers) immediately identified Dan TDM just from having heard his voice a million times before. 

I thought this was enjoyable, with the closest touchstone for me being The Truman Show. I do think it will date incredibly quickly. 

All four of us saw this today, great fun, we all enjoyed it, obviously my PS4 obsessed son loved it and would have quite happily stayed in the cinema and watched it again!

Yes, Reynolds carries it but the whole cast were obviously having great fun with this and it shows.  Looking forward to this on Blu-Ray/Disney+ so I can pick up on all the background reference stuff I probably missed.

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Is this for Premier Access or available as standard? It’s usually fairy clear as it’s simultaneous release with cinema, but given it’s been out in cinemas for a while I’m not sure.

It's standard, not Premier Access.