Axiom Verge 2 - out now

mdn2

• 1 month later...

I hope the horrific torrential weather at the minute holds up for me playing through this. There is NOTHING BETTER than cozying up with a good Metroidvania while the wind and rain howl outside. I think it’s a Tallon IV overworld / Crateria landing site association thing :wub:

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

I hope the horrific torrential weather at the minute holds up for me playing through this. There is NOTHING BETTER than cozying up with a good Metroidvania while the wind and rain howl outside. I think it’s a Tallon IV overworld / Crateria landing site association thing :wub:

Out of posses but love this post. :wub:

Currently at 84 on Metacritic.

Some of the review from RPS makes me unsure what to think about it:

If you adored the guns and boss fights of the first game, then its sequel may be something of a disappointment. However, if you're into the puzzles and exploration side of Metroidvanias, Axiom Verge 2 shows a level of sophistication in its design that I haven't seen from this genre in quite some time

I am about to delete Axiom Verge 1 from my card. It was a game of modest storage space that never made the cut when a big new release came about. Now I'll never return to it as I download the sequel. Breath of the Wild's two year no play streak is looking pretty tempting to finally make that sacrifice.

On 26/05/2021 at 09:14, grounded_dreams said:

Thomas Happ has provided an update on the game with a new blog post, will be delayed until Q3 of this year:

'I could go into a long spiel about why it’s taking longer than I originally forecast, but I don’t want to get too bogged down into technical details. Suffice it to say that the game will be better for the additional time, and I won’t have to burn myself out crunching to hit a date that I set for myself.'

He has also put the documentary of the 'Making of' the first game up for free on Steam and it is also on YouTube now to watch:

What a horrible turn of events for the developer and his family, really sad. 

I got the first one ages ago and got stuck in, like, the third room, and just gave up. I really do think I should go back, get unstuck and make sure I like it before buying the sequel, but my hype-o-meter is pretty high at the moment. 

21 minutes ago, watusi said:

Any write ups on the best version to get? Tempted by the switch for portability - I'm guessing the ps5 version won't add much to the mix 

I went for Switch for the same reason, can’t imagine PS5 adding much as it’s already snappy loading, and my only other option is PS4 as I don’t yet own a PS5. Portable looks and plays great btw, although it’s not silky smooth when it scrolls.

I’m enjoying it, getting pulled in and exploring, much more open world and less combat, at least to begin with. The combat is hard too, and you can upgrade your skills with points, such as melee, health and other stuff I won’t spoil. 

I love the music and it looks fantastic.

“Which version did you buy?”

”-Yes.”

In any case, this one’s more SotN style than Metroid in its presentation. It’s clearly trying something different and although I’m inclined to bemoan the lack of grid design and claustrophobic environs, this is very good regardless.

Some subtle tweaks in just about everything. Clearly working from feedback and reactions to the original. 

So Happ-y this is out. :wub:

Ooh, I LOVE a game being surprise released. More games should do this. 

Perfect timing as I am coming to the end of my first ever playthrough of the mostly OK, but wrecked by some absolutely awful controls, Skyward Sword. 

• Darren changed the title to Axiom Verge 2 - out now