Axiom Verge 2 - out now

mdn2

Finished this at the weekend with most of the map done (>95%) but a fair few items missing (<80%), although some of that was done after completing it.

It feels so close to a really great game but just doesn't quite get there.

Pros 

The atmosphere and music are both outstanding

Love that the breach is done at a lower / more pixel-y resolution so it's easy to remember which one you are in

Collecting upgrades and extending the map feels really organic so you never get stuck for long*

Gameplay is really tight, switching between main character/drone while you are moving seems so simple but makes moving around and switching fun

Cons

The story seemed a bit overcomplicated, to the point where I was just skipping over it towards the end.

I barely used the main character for the last third of the game, which seemed a bit of a waste

*There is still that one area that you miss for whatever reason and gets frustrating until you hunt through a guide, which isn't entirely straightforward due to the relatively non-linear nature of the game.

I don't want to read the thread for fear of spoilers as I haven't started this yet, but what is the general consensus so far?

I ask because I've been seeing a few comments in twitch chats along the lines of "I loved the first one but unfortunately this one is disappointing."

My mental picture of the kind of person who posts in twitch chat, though, is a tasteless philistine child, so maybe these kind of comments are of no value? Hopefully? Please somebody reassure me?

15 minutes ago, dug said:

I don't want to read the thread for fear of spoilers as I haven't started this yet, but what is the general consensus so far?

I ask because I've been seeing a few comments in twitch chats along the lines of "I loved the first one but unfortunately this one is disappointing."

My mental picture of the kind of person who posts in twitch chat, though, is a tasteless philistine child, so maybe these kind of comments are of no value? Hopefully? Please somebody reassure me?

Axiom Verge is a Metroid.

Axiom Verge 2 is a Symphony of the night.

Axiom Verge is about shooting stuff and figuring out where to go.

Axiom Verge 2 is more about hitting stuff and figuring out where to go.

Axiom Verge is an action platformer in which everything wants to kill you.

Axiom Verge 2 is an labyrinth exploration platformer wherein you can completely get rid of the stress of combat if needed.

Both are very good, but 2 is not the direct sequel you might expect.

54 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Axiom Verge is a Metroid.

Axiom Verge 2 is a Symphony of the night.

Axiom Verge is about shooting stuff and figuring out where to go.

Axiom Verge 2 is more about hitting stuff and figuring out where to go.

Axiom Verge is an action platformer in which everything wants to kill you.

Axiom Verge 2 is an labyrinth exploration platformer wherein you can completely get rid of the stress of combat if needed.

Both are very good, but 2 is not the direct sequel you might expect.

This is all the reassurance I needed, thank you. :)

On 20/08/2021 at 11:03, Cyhwuhx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Possibly. Considering trace and Hammond were working together, it might also be Athetos/Trace searching for a patternmind (and still not being a patternmind/Athetos himself), knowing that Indra/Ophelia will have to build one in order to travel upstream.

Oh yes, of course the Russians/Khazaks seem destined to form the other Rusalki, which neatly explains why they carry Russian names/concepts in a primarily Sumer inspired world.

Amazing, I never thought of any of this, yet it's so obvious. The Rusalka origin, right here.  

Now im completely stuck on a couple of bottles in the breach that have absolutely no way to get into their contained areas. I was convinced I would receive a final breach transition anywhere artifact to get them..yet ive a full line of accessories and nothing :(

I’ve binged both these games in the last week or so. Really enjoyed the first game, but was happy to leave it at whatever % complete it was.

The sequel though? Man, it’s soooo good. The shift in emphasis towards exploration and LttP dual worlds really works for me, and I’m going for 100%. At 94% map currently so it’s at the dry squeeze point, but I just love being in the game world so I’ll keep hunting.

The aesthetic was great in the first game but this one is even better. The breach graphics are sublime, bringing back memories of games like Frost Byte back on my CPC464, but obviously with slick 21st century controls.

As for the soundtrack, it’s even better than the first game I think. Listening to the OST right now and it’s ear worm after ear worm.

What a hero Tom Happ is.