rllmuk
SteveG

Uncut Gems

On 06/02/2020 at 11:01, Eighthours said:

Why the fuck has Sandler been slumming it for so long when he can do stuff like this?

Slumming it? He’s made some of the best comedies ever. 

He's made a lot of terrible films too, but he does them so he can hang out with his friends and they can get paid so I can't be too annoyed. 

7 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Citation needed. 

Zohan is all you need. 

Uncut gems was just two hours of people shouting at each other. Was a bit different to your standard movie, but doesn’t make it a masterpiece in any way.

Great movie, super intense. I'm so glad I dont live in a place like New Jersey. 

Hmmm think I missed the point of this one. Lots of people shouting and ignoring /interrupting each other, over a loud soundtrack that seemed to have been mixed wrong? Was tempted to switch on subtitles!

• Upvote 2

Yep, my view also. If you haven’t seen it yet, watch their earlier film Good Time (also on Netflix). It’s miles better.

• Upvote 2

On 09/02/2020 at 08:05, dino_jr said:

Hmmm think I missed the point of this one. Lots of people shouting and ignoring /interrupting each other, over a loud soundtrack that seemed to have been mixed wrong? Was tempted to switch on subtitles!

Watched it last night, had to play around with the sound settings on my TV to hear the dialogue. As for the film score, it’s the worst I’ve heard in a while, like analogue synths being thrown down the stairs of a multi-story car park. If the film had be scored differently, it’d have been more enjoyable, IMO.

Still, it’s definitely worth a watch, and the film is great at subverting viewers’ expectations at certain pressure points in the plot.

Good Time is a great film, but it’s Uncut Gems with training wheels on.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Yep, my view also. If you haven’t seen it yet, watch their earlier film Good Time (also on Netflix). It’s miles better.

No. No it isn't.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dino_jr said:

Was tempted to switch on subtitles!

Nothing wrong with that. I have them on for most films - it helps me process the dialogue - but I actually turned them off for this after about ten minutes; I found myself immersed and attuned with the hectic talking.

• Upvote 2

On 07/02/2020 at 21:37, the_debaser said:

Zohan is all you need. 

Zohan?

You pick fucking ZOHAN? Xenophobic sub-Borat trash.

9 hours ago, ZOK said:

Good Time is a great film, it’s Uncut Gems with some much needed restraint.

FTFY.

On 04/02/2020 at 14:24, Shoes said:

Listening to the score now. It's absolutely stunning.

It's like some from a 70s sci-fi animation- really interesting choice for the film.

• Upvote 1

I really, really, really liked it but I’m not sure I loved it, but I’m still decompressing and processing..  Saying that, the last act is one of the best things I’ve seen in years.  It reminded me so much of 70s New York cinema, which I grew up loving.  Maybe it’s because we’ve seen this sort of fuck-up before, going from one bad decision to the next, I didn’t find it tense until the end.  (Or perhaps I’m just dead inside)

I was sure he was never going to get the stone back and that would be what screwed him, with his business partner fucking him.  I’m glad they didn’t go down that obvious route.

I was certain it would end with his death but I completely bought the bait and switch.  The tension of the game, the high of winning, Arno’s joyful disbelief he pulled it off, then pop.  Beautiful.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jonamok said:

FTFY.

It was made with restraint - it couldn’t be a masterpiece otherwise.

You seem to wish they’d made the film a lot more pedestrian than it is for some reason.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Delargey said:

It's like some from a 70s sci-fi animation- really interesting choice for the film.

Everything about the score is wonderful. And the way it’s mixed so it blends back and forth over and under the dialogue is just delicious.

• Upvote 3

Sandlers acceptance speech is great here:

Also:

• Upvote 3

That's all great stuff.

I was expecting...

Spoiler

...those two old guys who were hassling him on the street about a fake rolex watch he sold them to be the ones that popped up at the end and ruined things for him.  They appeared about three times during the film, and he easily brushed them off each time. They were even on CCtv in the corridor outside his office near the end. I was sure he'd get out of his shop after winning the big bet and paying off his father in law and the goons, and it would be the weak-looking rolex guys who surprised us all and did him in.  But, that's a real movie cliche, so they were probably only there to set up that false expectation, so the real ending was a proper surprise.

• Upvote 4

Watched it on the weeknd (see what i did there) and absolutely loved it.

I used to think Waterboy and Happy Gilmore were my favourite Adam Sandler films......... not anymore.

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:48, the_debaser said:

Slumming it? He’s made some of the best comedies ever. 

Christ. What an exceptionally low bar for comedy you have.