rllmuk
Xevious

Dual Shock 4 Back Button Attachment

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/12/17/introducing-the-dualshock-4-back-button-attachment-out-14th-february/#sf226281113

I am not a pro gamer and so do not own any pro gamer controllers.  However I have been told that having some buttons on the back, where your fingers probably don't exactly sit at the moment, can be very useful in games like Rocket League where you want to boost, jump, drift and send "What a save" at the same time.

So now you can buy an ugly-as-sin attachment to the standard DS4 to stop you spending £428 on a customised third-party controller.  And throw away your chatpad as well.

• Upvote 1

I can count 18 different physical buttons on a DS4.  How annoyed are you going to be when you stick on your horrible  controller doodad and then find the button you want is one of the 2 they thought you wouldn't need? :D

(I'm guessing they've excluded the touchpad and PS buttons?) 

Having back buttons on the xbox Elite pad is great for FPS games, jump on one and reload on the other so you don't have to move your hands from the sticks. I really miss them when I play on any other controller.

Weird time to invest in releasing an accessory for a console which is due to be replaced in the near future. Bizarre - unless the next dual shock will come with this as standard or something. 

• Upvote 1

This has been a game-changer for me on so many games since I got the Xbox Elite controller. I’ll definitely get one if the buttons are well-positioned. 

No idea why they went to the trouble of building an OLED screen into the thing rather than just handling it via the OS though. Seems incredibly wasteful. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pob said:

No idea why they went to the trouble of building an OLED screen into the thing rather than just handling it via the OS though. Seems incredibly wasteful. 

So you can change it on the fly, make it look more premium and charge a higher margin.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

An expensive OLED screen out of sight behind a controller. Intelligent. 

I'll be turning it around to admire it all the time. :angry:

From the people who brought you a light that changes colour depending on what you’re doing in the game on top of the controller that you never see* and a touchpad that hardly got used beyond launch games.

* Yes, I’m aware you need a light for Move. I’m on about stuff like it flashing red when you get damaged.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Having back buttons on the xbox Elite pad is great for FPS games, jump on one and reload on the other so you don't have to move your hands from the sticks. I really miss them when I play on any other controller.

I’m not as clever as that, but my elite pads (I’ve now bought an elite two, which definitely has slightly better sized paddles and the shorter throw setting on the triggers to make them MUCH more like buttons is a godsend) paddles are used in preference to pushing down on the sticks. 

thinking about it, the elite 2 with the shortest trigger setting would be the perfect amplitude/frequency controller. Shame it doesn’t work with a PS4 really.

3 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

An expensive OLED screen out of sight behind a controller. Intelligent. 

I'll be turning it around to admire it all the time. :angry:

I guess we know what the Vita team have been doing.

I presume you can only map these buttons to existing inputs, they can't count as 'new' buttons?

Thinking back to the heady days of 'L3 - WTF is L3? What is that picture of the stick trying to tell me.. there's no button on the stick... OOOOH RIIIGHT!!'

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I presume you can only map these buttons to existing inputs, they can't count as 'new' buttons?

Yes, existing.

Everyone has their own preferences - for me I tend to use them to replace critical d-pad function as I really hate in when control schemes make you take your thumb of the movement stick to - for example - change weapon or item on the fly. In single player games it ruins the flow - for example having to stop walking to draw your gun in Hitman (up on d-pad) - and in multiplayer it makes a big competitive difference - for example selecting grenades in Apex Legends (right on d-pad)

You can also use them to bypass bone-headed control design decisions. For example, in RDR2 you're often tasked with shooting a posse of pursuing enemies while riding your horse at speed. To do this, you need to steer your steed with the left stick, aim with the right stick and also keep your horse galloping by hammering the X/A face button. Except your thumb can't be in two places at once, so you can't effectively aim and maintain speed at the same time. So I mapped the right paddle to A on the Xbox pad, so I can keep my thumbs on both sticks and also keep galloping, shooting and aiming.

The new Xbox Elite pad also lets you assign paddles as 'shift' keys, so any button can have a second function while shifted. In Gears 5, I use this to duplicate the d-pad on the face buttons when shifted, meaning I can select weapons without taking my thumb off the movement stick. Not sure if the DS4 attachment will have this function.

• Upvote 2

Cheers for the explanation. When you put it like that, it's better that it acts as a shortcut rather than introducing yet more complexity. As your RDR example shows, devs don't need any more encouragement to create esoteric control schemes! Just remapping functions make you feel like you are getting one over on them, like being able to map all those awful claw camera PSP games to an actual second stick on the Vita. Transcendant!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

What’s the difference between a shift key and mapping the dpad to the paddles in that respect?

That would mean using all four paddles, which I never do. I guess you could get used to it but it impair the grip too much for me personally. I think two paddles is the sweet spot.

How do you shift the paddles to the second input? I have one but didn’t know this!

(I assume you mean one paddle can do two different inputs with a shift)

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

How do you shift the paddles to the second input? I have one but didn’t know this!

(I assume you mean one paddle can do two different inputs with a shift)

No, you can set the paddle to be a shift key. So for example left paddle + A = d-pad down. 

The Elite v2 lets you configure this in the software. 

• Upvote 1

I will defi get one of these, I wanted to love the elite pad but it killed my hands - when I could use it the a I lift to jump without coming off the right stick was brilliant - need this for Fortnite for sure!

As for the touch pad, I love it - best map button ever and will really miss it if you have a silly little button to press instead next gen :( 

I got one of these yesterday and had a few games of Apex Legends. First impressions aren't great - it's really very bulky, and impedes my natural grip a lot. I've also done a couple of accidental clicks when overzealously squeezing the shoulder buttons in moments of panic, because they're in the way.

In contrast, the XB1 Elite Controller v2 has much lower-profile paddles that add virtually no bulk and are simply there if you need them. I'm so reliant on them for most games now, I find it hard to live without them. Hence why I wanted a PS4 equivalent.

I'll persevere as I really think these back-of-pad buttons are game-changers when done right, but initially this DS4 attachment look like it might turn one of the most comfortable pads ever into something awkward to use. If Sony add back buttons to the DS5, I hope they're much more discreetly integrated.

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

This is probably the real issue ;)

Not sure I understand this, sorry! It's one game on which I make competitive use of the back buttons, and have on both XB1 and PS4, so makes for a good comparison.

• Upvote 1