Hitman III - January 2021 - Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4/5, & PC

You guys with HDR problems are you on Xbox?

The card system doesn’t work. It does nothing but load up the game when using it from the dashboard.

When the games loaded you can use the card and it’ll take you right to that mission but what’s the point of that :S

I'd only ever downloaded and played the Hitman 2 demo on my Xbox. But it seems to have added all of the Hitman 2 levels (excluding DLC) into my Hitman 3 installation. Bonus!

The gamma setting in the graphics menu seems broken whether you're playing in SDR or HDR. It says to move the slider until the barcode nearly disappears but it barely even comes close to disappearing no matter what I do with it. If I lower it all the way the game looks crazy muted. It looks best just slightly under default to me but it doesn't align with the instructions at all.

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

The gamma setting in the graphics menu seems broken whether you're playing in SDR or HDR. It says to move the slider until the barcode nearly disappears but it barely even comes close to disappearing no matter what I do with it. If I lower it all the way the game looks crazy muted. It looks best just slightly under default to me but it doesn't align with the instructions at all.

In hitman 2 gamma didn’t do anything if you had HDR turned on. In hitman 3 it does actually do the gamma. I put the HDR up to full and left game on default. It could well do with a slight adjustment down but I’ll leave it.

47 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

On the Series S, my monitor shows it as running at 1440p & 120Hz. I can switch to 4K for HDR though.

Isn't that just the S upscaling a 1080p image to your output resolution?

39 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

You guys with HDR problems are you on Xbox?

The card system doesn’t work. It does nothing but load up the game when using it from the dashboard.

When the games loaded you can use the card and it’ll take you right to that mission but what’s the point of that :S

PS5 here but it seems to be widespread on all platforms on Reddit although I'm sure most people don't even notice. It's the same issue we've seen on RDR2, Monster World, Valhalla etc. Turning off HDR improves the contrast loads so it's not a stylistic choice. Coming off all the first party Sony exclusives (Demon's, Spidey, Days Gone etc) which all look spectacular in HDR it's really jarring to see such muted contrast and washed out shadows

Still, I have all the legacy content to get through, which clearly looks significantly better, so hopefully they'll patch it before I get to the new stuff.

19 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Isn't that just the S upscaling a 1080p image to your output resolution?

It must be something like that as I don’t think it’s advertised as 1440p/120. The information on the monitor seems to accurately report what res etc is input and I can see it vary on the PC.

I wouldn’t mind an idiots guide for optimal settings, I usually have it on 1440/120 in the dashboard but changed it to 4K to get the HDR settings in game as I don’t think you can get HDR any other way...?

I've not bothered with the progress transfer from H1 and H2. Partly because I want to play through them all again from scratch, but mainly because it looks to be an absolute cluster fuck to do it anyway.

Thankfully, the H1 and H2 legacy mission content update could not have been any smoother. After downloading a couple of very small updates that were access through the in-game menus I now have access to all the H1 and H2 stuff that I paid for, plus it seems lots of additional stuff like Patient Zero. So that's great.

Teething issues around server access and progress transfer aside the game itself is fantastic. It has focussed on the strongest aspect of the games, the environments themselves, and made them even more detailed and enjoyable to inhabit. Some of the situations that the mission stories create are just superb as always. So much Hitman to play :wub:

Series x - 4k

Series s - 1080p

PS5 - 1800p

I kinda feel like IO actually said themselves, in a video, it would run at 4k 60fps on next gen consoles. Not quite right.

I’m not overly bothered but a little disappointed and suprised considering the power of these next gen consoles.

1 minute ago, Kryptonian said:

It must be something like that as I don’t think it’s advertised as 1440p/120. The information on the monitor seems to accurately report what res etc is input and I can see it vary on the PC.

I wouldn’t mind an idiots guide for optimal settings, I usually have it on 1440/120 in the dashboard but changed it to 4K to get the HDR settings in game as I don’t think you can get HDR any other way...?

4K should not affect HDR.

Dashboard settings for resolution and refresh rate are system level but (generally) do not affect how a game runs. The game will render internally at 1080p60 on Series S and the Xbox will upscale this to 1440p/4K so the screen detects a 4K/1440p output. It will also output 120Hz but is only really sending a new frame every 2 frames as the game is running at 60fps.

There are some games, like Rocket League, which will detect your refresh rate and adjust how the game runs, accordingly. This is a bit annoying as it's not obvious but if your Xbox is set to 120Hz, it will run at 120fps and a very low resolution. If it's set to 60Hz, it will run at a higher res and 60fps.

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Dashboard settings for resolution and refresh rate are system level but (generally) do not affect how a game runs. The game will render internally at 1080p60 on Series S and the Xbox will upscale this to 1440p/4K so the screen detects a 4K/1440p output. It will also output 120Hz but is only really sending a new frame every 2 frames as the game is running at 60fps.

There are some games, like Rocket League, which will detect your refresh rate and adjust how the game runs, accordingly. This is a bit annoying as it's not obvious but if your Xbox is set to 120Hz, it will run at 120fps and a very low resolution. If it's set to 60Hz, it will run at a higher res and 60fps.

This is what I was talking about earlier. Someone posted a video where they noticed the Xbox series S version didn’t have HDR.

Could be bullshit because I don’t have an Xbox and it did seem super weird but it tally’s with what kryptonian is saying, as in maybe 1080p no HDR.

1:30

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks for the other information, that makes more sense :)

What I meant about enabling 4K to get the HDR settings is a known issue though. If you don’t enable 4K, the calibrate HDR section doesn’t work and it says your tv doesn’t support it. If you enable 4K, it then works:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/xbox-series-x-hdr-only-available-at-4k-unavailable/f04aa8f5-6abd-4b67-985c-3b853980b4b3?auth=1

There’s a thread on Reddit about it too. I’d be interested to know what’s going on under the hood as I need to enable 4K to get HDR on any game (and my monitor reports 4K60 + HDR) but would much rather it do 1440/120 + HDR.

edit - sorry for res talk

19 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Series x - 4k

Series s - 1080p

PS5 - 1800p

I kinda feel like IO actually said themselves, in a video, it would run at 4k 60fps on next gen consoles. Not quite right.

I’m not overly bothered but a little disappointed and suprised considering the power of these next gen consoles.

:troll: Well it does, on the full fat RDNA2 console. :/troll:

It's also a game where to create some of the reflections they've just *rendered the world twice*.

16 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Series x - 4k

Series s - 1080p

PS5 - 1800p

I’m surprised PS5 doesn’t hit 4K, even with all the AI/NPCs etc. A few less drops on PS5 vs resolution on X. Perhaps they’ll optimise both further.

I expect it’s partly due to crossgen engine. Doubt I’d even notice in reality though.

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I see no-one is talking about how it's only the PS5 version that is actually locked to 60 fps... :rolleyes:

What difference does that make, broadly speaking?

Game runs great on my Series X - am I meant to be noticing something?

Series X is locked 60 apart from one very specific area.

I mean, pick your poison I guess? Completely locked 60 Vs higher res and better shadows but minor frame-rate fluctuations in one small area of one map. DF believed the latter was worth the trade-off.

Is everyone spending their time carefully analysing tiny visual details rather than actually playing and talking about the game itself? :huh:

Its looks stunning. Its always looked stunning. Moving to PS5 from PS4 I can see small technical improvements. I could not care less what it looks like on PC or XBox. The game is fantastic. Thank you IOI.

1 minute ago, MardiganX said:

Is everyone spending their time carefully analysing tiny visual details rather than actually playing and talking about the game itself? :huh:

Its looks stunning. Its always looked stunning. Moving to PS5 from PS4 I can see small technical improvements. I could not care less what it looks like on PC or XBox. The game is fantastic. Thank you IOI.

No, I’m working :(

I launched it and checked the info on my monitor is all.

I don’t really get your second paragraph, I imagine the people who own it on a particular platform might care about it though? 

33 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Series x - 4k

Series s - 1080p

PS5 - 1800p

I was originally commenting on this summary of the video, which is a bit selective, as it choses to omit performance. 

It's actually - 

Series x - 4k, 60 fps with dips

Series s - 1080p, 60 fps with dips

PS5 - 1800p, locked 60 fps 

My prior jobs have been working as a developer for Microsoft first party titles, such as Crackdown 2 & 3, and the Master chief collection, so have familiarity with their certification process. I'm fairly certain, going forward this is going to be a very frequent occurrence, where the Xbox version shoots for that 4K resolution at the expense of a bit of performance, likely enforced by said certification requirements. It's been a repeat thing since the Pro/One X enhanced versions, where you will see the Xbox version trying to hit 4K when it would perhaps be a better idea to cut back for better performance. 

Its not really a sequel in the traditional sense but the way H3 links the entire trilogy together on the next gen machines is really very well done. There are moments where I kind of wish 47 had a little more fluidity to his lethal abilities, but then I remember this one time where I had to fight an army of Nuns and I dismiss the thought. There is incredible scope for a true next gen Hitman game with that kind of balance and diversity to 47s actions but for now I have absolutely no complaints over what we have.

2 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I don’t really get your second paragraph, I imagine the people who own it on a particular platform might care about it though? 

I guess I've never really understood the almost aggressive comparisons of platforms when the differences are so miniscule (for me anyway) that it really doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

Where you have 2 or 3 platform options in place and want to play it on the best one then sure you might want to get those benefits, but that's a lot of equipment to have so you can get the marginally better visual experience.

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I was originally commenting on this summary of the video, which is a bit selective, as it choses to omit performance. 

It's actually - 

Series x - 4k, 60 fps with dips

Series s - 1080p, 60 fps with dips

PS5 - 1800p, locked 60 fps 

My prior jobs have been working as a developer for Microsoft first party titles, such as Crackdown 2 & 3, and the Master chief collection, so have familiarity with their certification process. I'm fairly certain, going forward this is going to be a very frequent occurrence, where the Xbox version shoots for that 4K resolution at the expense of a bit of performance, likely enforced by said certification requirements. It's been a repeat thing since the Pro/One X enhanced versions, where you will see the Xbox version trying to hit 4K when it would perhaps be a better idea to cut back for better performance. 

So in short, it's literally unplayable on all platforms. ;)

Also, there's no such Cert requirement in the latest version of the Microsoft XR's.

I think I despise DF now - or rather the knock on effect of their content.

It's good to know that the PS4 / Xbox One S runs cyberpunk like horse shit and don't buy it. That's a good thing to know.

But what the hell are we discussing here?

Let's maybe take a step back and stop discussions over a frame drop.

2 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I guess I've never really understood the almost aggressive comparisons of platforms when the differences are so miniscule (for me anyway) that it really doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

Where you have 2 or 3 platform options in place and want to play it on the best one then sure you might want to get those benefits, but that's a lot of equipment to have so you can get the marginally better visual experience.

Oh yeah, I generally couldn’t care less and ignore all the digital foundry stuff. I want mine set up optimally but it seems to be unnecessarily complicated. It looks pretty but HDR makes it look prettier (or should) so I just want that on too :lol:

1 minute ago, Simmy said:

It's good to know that the PS4 / Xbox One S runs cyberpunk like horse shit and don't buy it. That's a good thing to know.

100% this.

Great piss take here by the Consolevania lads - https://youtu.be/56hI1Od2q0I?t=881

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

So in short, it's literally unplayable on all platforms. ;)

Also, there's no such Cert requirement in the latest version of the Microsoft XR's.

No, in practice it's a tiny difference. It's plain to see that all three versions are very good, and very close. 

I was pointing out that there is a performance advantage on the PS5, which no one was talking about. 

It's been a while since I was involved in game development, but the frequency of Xbox titles going for a higher resolution really seems like a certification requirement. Maybe not, but it's so frequent. 

2 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I agree and I don't. This generation hitting smooth 60fps for most (all?) new releases is the best thing to happen to console gaming maybe ever. If the Xbox version frequently dropped frames and the PS5 didn't then that's definitely cause for discussion. It sounds like in this case it's a non-issue, though.