Hitman III - January 2021 - Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4/5, & PC

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You mean when you play the Hitman 2 levels in 3? If so, you're playing those older levels in the new engine at that point. And it isn't strange that a cross-gen game targets 30 on the previous gen to get most of the shinies running on old hardware too. The option to play at 60 is still in actual Hitman 2 and if you ever upgrade to a current gen Xbox, you'll have 60 back. I mean, I get that it's disappointing but it's not strange or unexpected.

Unless you mean they actually went back and patched the 60fps option out of Hitman 2, that is fucked.

Well, you're right, I guess. And I do have a Series X and Hitman 3 runs great on that. But I also have my old Xbox One X on a second TV, and I've been used to playing Hitman on that; now I'm running the exact same levels looking the exact same but now they're half the frame rate. Hitman 2 ran *so* well on the One X, it just feels like they've been so focused on the new consoles that they've not bothered to keep the same focus on the older machines. Ah well.

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Is there a benefit to playing Hitman 1 using Hitman 3? Does it look a lot better as it uses the Hitman 3 engine? On Xbox Series X. 

It’s also worth noting that hitman 2 introduced gameplay improvements such as the sniper briefcase and blending into crowds which improves every level. 

On 20/01/2021 at 19:54, deKay said:

Did anyone get this on the Switch today?

Well to answer myself, it’s pretty good. Obviously not 4K but there’s very little lag and it looks great.

Just did the obvious mission story on location two. This game is just insanely good. 

Torn on what to do next! Not sure whether to plough through the levels just doing main stories, or spend more time in each place just to spread them out a bit. 

52 minutes ago, deKay said:

Well to answer myself, it’s pretty good. Obviously not 4K but there’s very little lag and it looks great.

It’s a shame the demo only lets you play the training mission from the original Hitman though. I expect even in the new engine it isn’t going to be the best, graphically.

Just want to check something. 

I have Hitman 1 installed on my Xbox and I had previously bought all the missions for it. I have it registered on an IO account. 

If I buy Hitman 3 standard edition will I be able to import Hitman 1 locations without paying £25 for the Hitman 3 Access Pass? 

What does the £25 pass do? Enable the old content without owning the old games?

1 hour ago, StephenM said:

Just did the obvious mission story on location two. This game is just insanely good. 

Torn on what to do next! Not sure whether to plough through the levels just doing main stories, or spend more time in each place just to spread them out a bit. 

I'm spending a lot of time on each level in order to get to know the layouts and goings on. Getting up to about level 15 mastery before moving on. That way, I have a good grasp of the level, but still leaving myself something to come back for.

21 minutes ago, choduk said:

I'm spending a lot of time on each level in order to get to know the layouts and goings on. Getting up to about level 15 mastery before moving on. That way, I have a good grasp of the level, but still leaving myself something to come back for.

It’s just always so hard to resist jumping into a new place, but I’m doing similar now. I loved the old episodic model for that — it really made you go deep on the levels while waiting for the new one. 

One weird thing: I just did a run of Dubai and it was giving me XP for ‘discovering’ locations I already discovered on my first run. Did it always do that? Don’t remember it from Hitman 2. 

Suddenly all the Hitman One campaign is available. Weird

I'm guessing there was an issue on their server side. 

Looking forward to cracking through it. 

3 minutes ago, StephenM said:

One weird thing: I just did a run of Dubai and it was giving me XP for ‘discovering’ locations I already discovered on my first run. Did it always do that? Don’t remember it from Hitman 2. 

Did you play and then import your Hitman 2 progress? That would’ve wiped the H3 progress.

Otherwise no, that shouldn’t happen.

3 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Yeah, I noticed it did that on one of my runs earlier today. I wondered whether it hadn't logged some of them correctly yesterday when it kept logging me out, then reconnecting, then logging out etc.

Also, is it meant to be similar with the shortcuts? I thought were meant to be permanently opened, but I found some to be closed again on future runs.

8 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Did you play and then import your Hitman 2 progress? That would’ve wiped the H3 progress.

Otherwise no, that shouldn’t happen.

7 minutes ago, choduk said:

Yeah, I noticed it did that on one of my runs earlier today. I wondered whether it hadn't logged some of them correctly yesterday when it kept logging me out, then reconnecting, then logging out etc.

Also, is it meant to be similar with the shortcuts? I thought were meant to be permanently opened, but I found some to be closed again on future runs.

Imported before I played it. Still shows all the things I did yesterday in my mastery track but was just re-popping the XP for discovery. 

Smallest glitch ever. Guess it’s to do with the server issues yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

Just want to check something. 

I have Hitman 1 installed on my Xbox and I had previously bought all the missions for it. I have it registered on an IO account. 

If I buy Hitman 3 standard edition will I be able to import Hitman 1 locations without paying £25 for the Hitman 3 Access Pass? 

What does the £25 pass do? Enable the old content without owning the old games?

Yes, you won't need to buy the access pass but you will need to make sure you redeem the Hitman legacy pack for Hitman 2 before you can transfer the levels into Hitman 3. It's a pain but you can't just get the levels from 1 into 3 without that step.

If you never bought Hitman 2 you should still be able to get something called Hitman 2 starter pack. That will give you the Hitman 2 client and not much else. You can move the Hitman 1 levels into that via the legacy pack download, then when you launch Hitman 3 it should automatically give you the access pass for the first game.

There's a guide to getting the legacy pack for Hitman 1 on Xbox here:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-legacy-faq/

12 minutes ago, Majora said:

Yes, you won't need to buy the access pass but you will need to make sure you redeem the Hitman legacy pack for Hitman 2 before you can transfer the levels into Hitman 3. It's a pain but you can't just get the levels from 1 into 3 without that step.

If you never bought Hitman 2 you should still be able to get something called Hitman 2 starter pack. That will give you the Hitman 2 client and not much else. You can move the Hitman 1 levels into that via the legacy pack download, then when you launch Hitman 3 it should automatically give you the access pass for the first game.

There's a guide to getting the legacy pack for Hitman 1 on Xbox here:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-legacy-faq/

My god that’s a lot of info but it seems pretty straight forward and I didn’t know I had to import to 2 starter with the legacy pack. Thanks loads. 

I turned HDR off for a bit last night while playing Dartmoor and I don't actually think it made any difference to the blacks at all. I turned HDR back on and the lighting looked so much better in the mansion I decided to keep it turned on.

I think it must have been an artistic decision to make Dartmoor look the way it does. I went and rewatched the trailer for the level on YouTube and it does look very similar to how it does in HDR in terms of colour. I think they went a little far making it look like the grey British countryside but I'm also sure it was deliberate now.

Great level though. Not sure how replayable it will be compared to the average Hitman level beyond the usual sniper/suit only/poison challenges but enormous fun all the same.

I turned the gamma settings down a touch to about 85 and I’ve got HDR set to 50 (i have a 1500nit TV)and the lighting/HDR is on par with the previous games for me.

Dartmoor does have a foggy,Misty look to it.

I was giving my mate verbal instructions on how to play Hitman 2 Paris and Sapienza last night and that was actually quite fun. I showed him about 20 minutes of Dartmoor.

Dartmoor seems like THE stand out Hitman level?

I’m not that far into it and will restart it tonight but i love some “who dunnit”

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I turned HDR off for a bit last night while playing Dartmoor and I don't actually think it made any difference to the blacks at all. I turned HDR back on and the lighting looked so much better in the mansion I decided to keep it turned on.

I think it must have been an artistic decision to make Dartmoor look the way it does. I went and rewatched the trailer for the level on YouTube and it does look very similar to how it does in HDR in terms of colour. I think they went a little far making it look like the grey British countryside but I'm also sure it was deliberate now.

Great level though. Not sure how replayable it will be compared to the average Hitman level beyond the usual sniper/suit only/poison challenges but enormous fun all the same.

HDR is a weird thing, even though it's been around for a few years a lot of people still expect it to be about "pop" and crazy brightness and colours, and now you've got all the OLED owners who are obsessed with "true blacks". In actual fact it can be used very effectively to give a very subtle, cinematic kind of haziness as you can get so much more detail into a limited part of the colour spectrum. Assassin's Creed Valhalla does this and it sounds like the Dartmoor level in this game does the same. It's absolutely an artistic choice.

I haven't been to the ye olde British countryside (only to central London so far) but this colour palette is exactly what I imagine it to look like based on popular media. Either way, it's unbelievably atmospheric.

Edit: London was brilliant btw, hope to return someday

First run of Mission 3 done. The diversity of the locations and scenarios is the best its ever been. Started Chongqing before having to turn it off last night and that looks to be another incredible location. I'm only doing each location once just now before going back through for the detailed runs and proper playground action :) Dartmoor has been the best location so far but the scenario in Berlin was a really interesting shift in the usual mission formula.

I have to admit I am slightly overwhelmed with the amount of content that keeps popping up on the menus, which is not a bad thing at all, but where it refers to 'Silent Assassin x17' and objectives like that I am lost. What does that mean as I cant see any challenges specifically labelled as Silent Assassin ones to know how I am progressing toward completing them. No doubt its something simple I am just not getting.

I had a very murderous rampage in Dartmoor last night and switching costumes and heading back while they are sorting out the body bags wearing a different costume almost nonchalantly whistling as you pass them will never get old. 

Still haven’t got the Hitman 1 levels mind.