Hitman III - January 2021 - Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4/5, & PC

5 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

First run of Mission 3 done. The diversity of the locations and scenarios is the best its ever been. Started Chongqing before having to turn it off last night and that looks to be another incredible location. I'm only doing each location once just now before going back through for the detailed runs and proper playground action :) Dartmoor has been the best location so far but the scenario in Berlin was a really interesting shift in the usual mission formula.

I have to admit I am slightly overwhelmed with the amount of content that keeps popping up on the menus, which is not a bad thing at all, but where it refers to 'Silent Assassin x17' and objectives like that I am lost. What does that mean as I cant see any challenges specifically labelled as Silent Assassin ones to know how I am progressing toward completing them. No doubt its something simple I am just not getting.

Silent Assassin means you don't get spotted and no bodies are found. 

The ultimate challenge (for most) is master level Silent Assassin / Suit Only (SASO). I.e. you cannot change what you're wearing at all.

If anyone, like me, missed the sale and was shocked at the price of Hitman 2 on PSN if you sign up for PSnow (I had a 7 day free trial) you can download 2 for free and it lets you add the levels to 3!

Seems like a loophole and I have no idea if this will still work when the PSnow sub runs out but for now it works.

Had a lot of fun with what I played, each level is a bit like going on a murder holiday.

7 minutes ago, Danster said:

Silent Assassin means you don't get spotted and no bodies are found. 

The ultimate challenge (for most) is master level Silent Assassin / Suit Only (SASO). I.e. you cannot change what you're wearing at all.

Thanks man. So how do you do that 17 times in a 6 mission set-up? :lol: I assume it totals up the replays. Stupid questions I know, but where can I track how many SA completions I have done?

6 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Thanks man. So how do you do that 17 times in a 6 mission set-up? :lol: I assume it totals up the replays. Stupid questions I know, but where can I track how many SA completions I have done?

It's a bit confusing but I think the 17 times challenge is across all the levels in the whole game. So you can earn the silent assassin challenge on a level by level basis and then you have the cumulative ones across all levels also. Not sure if multiple silent assassins within the same level will tally up or not.

It sounds like you may have challenge hints set to minimal because you can see a running tally for the cumulative ones. If you turn them to full (in the options menu, then HUD I think) it will describe all the challenges for you. Personally I like to mostly keep them minimal (picture and title only) just to give me a nudge but not outright spoil most of them but turn the full challenge hints on once I'm out of ideas.

12 minutes ago, Majora said:

It's a bit confusing but I think the 17 times challenge is across all the levels in the whole game. So you can earn the silent assassin challenge on a level by level basis and then you have the cumulative ones across all levels also. Not sure if multiple silent assassins within the same level will tally up or not.

It sounds like you may have challenge hints set to minimal because you can see a running tally for the cumulative ones. If you turn them to full (in the options menu, then HUD I think) it will describe all the challenges for you. Personally I like to mostly keep them minimal (picture and title only) just to give me a nudge but not outright spoil most of them but turn the full challenge hints on once I'm out of ideas.

Will get a look at it tonight and see what I have turned on / off but I definitely have the hints set to minimal, otherwise you lose one of the best parts of the game in figuring out the angles within each location yourself.

1 minute ago, MardiganX said:

Will get a look at it tonight and see what I have turned on / off but I definitely have the hints set to minimal, otherwise you lose one of the best parts of the game in figuring out the angles within each location yourself.

Yes, I do think it'd be better if you could reveal challenge details one at a time, kind of like flipping over a card, rather than having a global setting.

Once I've exhausted the opportunities I can find organically in the mission itself, I go into the challenges and look at the pictures for clues, then I might set it so I can see the titles. Then I'll just reveal the whole lot to see what I missed.

What’s the best set up for the various settings?

I’m by no means a pro so I want a little bit of guidance but not too much. I turned off the mini-map, but other than that I’m going with the default settings on the middle difficulty level. 

4 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I’m by no means a pro so I want a little bit of guidance but not too much. I turned off the mini-map, but other than that I’m going with the default settings on the middle difficulty level. 

Personally I would suggest turning the Mission Story guidance off if you want to get the proper Hitman experience of figuring things out for yourself. If you're finding it too tough then looking at the Assassintation section of the 'Challenges' for each mission should give you some ideas.

I avoid all of that, and just probe the level listening to conversations, reading the intel that pops up, and watching what targets and key NPCs get up to, as I find the detective work to be the core of the game.

Hmmm thinking about it I might as well turn the mini map off as I never ever use it...

with the R1 ability and the full map it’s kinda not needed is it.

one tiny thing that pisses me off though - clicking the left stick zooms the big

map. I want a nice analogue zoom with the stick or triggers.

Yeah, I've never had the minimap on since Hitman 2016 was released. Again, observing the game world itself is a core part of the appeal for me, not looking at a radar in the bottom left section.

I get easily overwhelmed when faced with new maps. So I've found best approach for me is to turn off mini map, then play though one of the set Mission Stories. This gives a good initial feel for each map ready for a deeper dive later on.

I also just play through each map once in set order first, to experience the story and then revisit places afterwards. 

Completed Dubai and Dartmoor last night. Dartmoor is an instant classic and already one of my favourites of the series.

I'm still on the Paris level from the H1 campaign and the amount of challenges available is mindblowing. How many runs at it must it take to get to a decent mastery? The fact that everything is available out of the box for you is completely overwhelming and that map alone is so huge and the amount of trial and error feels a bit like cheating. Either way, enjoying this a lot and felt good finishing my first hit even if it was a very pedestrian neck break. Feels like there is a steep learning curve but loving the slower pace.

Does Mastery just build up the more you play a level and challenges that you tick off? Missions seem to be a set thing i.e. assassinate 2 people and destroy the virus (hmm not even sure mission is the correct term, maybe goal for level?). But with the other challenges e.g. push someone off a cliff, can you just do those independently of killing the other person etc?

At the end of a run it highlights the tiles that you’ve completed giving you XP and Rating, are you supposed to be able to complete all of those in a single run?

You can be playing through a level and spot an opportunity to choose from several available challenges (say to kill a target in various ways). If you save at that point and do a challenge, you can reload the save, do another, reload, do another etc until you've done all of the challenges you think are available in that run. If you then complete the level, it will count of of the challenges as complete at the end of that run.

It's not a glitch. This is how it's been since Hitman 2016. And it allows you to maximise the challenges you can complete without getting bored of repeating the same early sections multiple times.

2 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

At the end of a run it highlights the tiles that you’ve completed giving you XP and Rating, are you supposed to be able to complete all of those in a single run?

I very much doubt it as they include multiple ways of killing the same person.

edit - oh, well seemingly you can although that seems like a bit of a faff.

Just now, KartoffelKopf said:

I very much doubt it as they include multiple ways of killing the same person.

Ah ok, makes sense. What does it take to get a 5* rating? Speed, not being discovered, ....?

4 minutes ago, choduk said:

You can be playing through a level and spot an opportunity to choose from several available challenges (say to kill a target in various ways). If you save at that point and do a challenge, you can reload the save, do another, reload, do another etc until you've done all of the challenges you think are available in that run. If you then complete the level, it will count of of the challenges as complete at the end of that run.

It's not a glitch. This is how it's been since Hitman 2016. And it allows you to maximise the challenges you can complete without getting bored of repeating the same early sections multiple times.

Ah so you can complete all the tiles at the end then or at least kill the same person different ways etc?

12 minutes ago, choduk said:

Isn't the whole point of the different starting points and allowing you to start in different disguises as you level up to ensure you don't get bored of the same early sections?

I get what you're saying but it seems like a very checkbox, efficiency over fun way to approach the challenges to me. Each to their own though!

Yeah for me the whole point of the game is the plan your attack, sneak in, execute and get out roleplay of the whole thing. Jumping back in and reloading saves doesn't feel particularly 47. 

Dubai done twice, really enjoyed the mad "how do I get this fucker on his own" of the first run and the sort of vaguely professional version of the above of the second run. It's good, a solid Hitman level. Onto Dartmoor next!

1 minute ago, scoobysi said:

Ah ok, makes sense. What does it take to get a 5* rating? Speed, not being discovered, ....?

Speed affects your score but not your star rating. 

To get a Silent Assassin rating (five stars) you basically need to:

• Only kill your targets; knocking other people out is fine, so long as they aren't discovered.
  • Don't be compromised, i.e. have an NPC's awareness indicator go from yellow to red.
  • Don't get caught on security cameras, or destroy the footage if you are.
  • Can't let bodies be found, unless your target dies to poison or an 'accident', e.g. pushing them over a railing or making something fall on them.

Once you get used to how all the clockwork ticks those requirements are actually quite forgiving. If you don't yet have a feel for it, I believe there's an indictor you can turn on in the options that'll let you know when a run is no longer eligible for a Silent Assassin rating, which might help in letting you know when you're putting a foot wrong.

Played through the training missions in hitman 1 (as far as I got back in the day) and can't notice any type of upgrade compared to when I played it on XB1X. Looks dated to be fair. And way behind the screens and videos I have seen for the third game. 

I'm guessing the actual levels will look nicer though as the training levels are made out of plywood. :)

30 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

To obtain "Silent Assassin" rating in HITMAN™ and HITMAN™ 2, the player must: 

Only kill targets.

Not get spotted. 

In HITMAN™ 2, getting spotted by a target and then killing the target does not ruin SA.

Have no witnesses.

Not get caught on camera. 

If caught, destroy the recordings.

In HITMANTM 2 cameras are absent on casual difficulty.

No Bodies Found. 

Targets killed with accidents or poison are allowed to be found.

Prevent non-target kills (non-target kills with accidents ruin the rating).

edit - beaten to it

12 minutes ago, Ry said:

Played through the training missions in hitman 1 (as far as I got back in the day) and can't notice any type of upgrade compared to when I played it on XB1X. Looks dated to be fair. And way behind the screens and videos I have seen for the third game. 

I'm guessing the actual levels will look nicer though as the training levels are made out of plywood. :)

The whole look of the game is very crafted. Lots of straight lines, no randomness to object placement. Like everything is on a grid .

Stick some HDR on and it still looks like a clean modern game. Nothing amazing , just really nice due to the density of objects and  NPCs

@Ferine @Harrisown thanks, I did wonder why you’d bother destroying the recordings, I’d done it a couple of times and thought maybe it was just an XP thing.

There’s so much to these games, not sure why they’ve completely passed me by up to now but it’s good to hear how well thought of they are and I think an early showing on Next Gen can only be good to attract new people. If the James Bond game they’re working on is along similar lines it should be brilliant.

Oh man, just had an amazing experience on Mendoza!

Spoiler

At the start there was a guy who you just knew would be having a meeting with one of the targets so I grabbed him and took his stuff. Walked in and did the first guy.

I was exploring the main house disguised as a guard now with one of their machine guns on my back. Held the bumper down to see where the other target was and she was really far away outside.

I carried on going up in the house and found a balcony, looked out and she was still really far away. Found my way to the attic and noticed I had a clear line of sight to the target but she was still fucking miles away. I looked around the room and there was a hunting rifle on the wall!

Picked it up and shot her as she was walking through a door in the distance. Dropped the gun and ran off :)

Brilliant game

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I haven't been to the ye olde British countryside (only to central London so far) but this colour palette is exactly what I imagine it to look like based on popular media. Either way, it's unbelievably atmospheric.

Edit: London was brilliant btw, hope to return someday

Yeah, I thought Dartmoor looked very good, nicely evocative of the British countryside, and of Agatha Christie murder mystery manors generally. Loved the whole setup, a fantastic level - the only thing that bothered me is the number of people comparing it to Knives Out, when it's very clearly a loving Poirot/Marple homage, down to the individual suspects, method of murder and motive. Whoever wrote it knows their murder mysteries!

2 hours ago, Majora said:

Isn't the whole point of the different starting points and allowing you to start in different disguises as you level up to ensure you don't get bored of the same early sections?

I get what you're saying but it seems like a very checkbox, efficiency over fun way to approach the challenges to me. Each to their own though!

Yeah, I didn't actually realise that was a thing until Dartmoor, because I wanted to see the different ways the end of the mystery could play out, but wasn't really willing to redo the whole sequence twice more as that particular 'story' is a long, reasonably linear thing. It's something I'd generally avoid doing outside of special exceptions like that, as generally half of the pleasure is in setting things up, so just skipping that part to get to the execution would spoil things for me!

I'll still replay missions with different start points and different loadouts, as new opportunities can present themselves based on what weapons and options you have. But, sometimes I'll be stood in a bathroom behind a target and know that I need to do a challenge to drown them and a challenge to kill them by fibrewire. But I can't decide which. I'll save and do both.