Hitman III - January 2021 - Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4/5, & PC

The lighting and atmosphere in Chongqing might even beat out Berlin :wub: If you told me the main street was from a next-gen exclusive I think I'd believe you.

I've definitely noticed, and this isn't a complaint so much as an observation, that the levels in this one seem to try to push you into a particular story mission quite early on, and that story mission feels like the main arc of the level. Of course there's a lot of other stuff to do but I reckon a lot of people will end up completing some of these levels in quite a similar way the first time through. Likely a way to make it more accessible for people new to the series (have you seen the trophy/achievement completion rates for the older games? They're terrible, people bounce off the games so quickly).

Do people tend to replay a level over and over to uncover all the secrets? This is my first proper Hitman game (played the very first one for a couple of hours). I just finished Dubai for the first time, but found all the secrets/scoring at the end completely overwhelming.

4 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Do people tend to replay a level over and over to uncover all the secrets? This is my first proper Hitman game (played the very first one for a couple of hours). I just finished Dubai for the first time, but found all the secrets/scoring at the end completely overwhelming.

Totally. This time I'm not moving on until I've got mastery 20 on each level.

You'll only have seen a fraction of what there is to see in each level, the first time through. Try and complete the mission stories first, keep an eye out for other opportunities while you do so, then use the Challenges list to give yourself further inspiration if you're finding it overwhelming.

17 minutes ago, kempstar said:

It's entirely personal preference; for me, it very much depends on the level, and how comprehensive/speedy my initial run-through was. I largely ignore the scoring (besides generally aiming for a Silent Assassin rating at least once per map); what decides it for me is simple compulsion. If I find myself intrigued to try different approaches/areas then I'll redo a level immediately before carrying on; if not, then I'll move straight to the next level.

I sort of regret that I'm more experienced with the series/the stories guide you so well these days, as way back when Blood Money was new, my approach in every level was to inevitably botch and push through my first playthrough(s) of each map, then repeat them until I nailed a perfect run; these days it's rare for me to not get a silent assassin ranking on first attempt, so the drive is solely to see everything the map has to offer, rather than the simpler desire to do better. That's much more a me problem rather than the game, however!

27 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Do what feels right. If you’re bored of a mission, move on and come back to it later. But once you’re familiar with the layout it’ll never be as hard as that first run, and as you unlock things you can really start to experiment and aim for some of the more obscure challenges. One of the early levels has a challenge to drop a toilet on a targets head, for example, which seems impossible initially until you’re familiar with the different triggers.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I've definitely noticed, and this isn't a complaint so much as an observation, that the levels in this one seem to try to push you into a particular story mission quite early on, and that story mission feels like the main arc of the level. Of course there's a lot of other stuff to do but I reckon a lot of people will end up completing some of these levels in quite a similar way the first time through. Likely a way to make it more accessible for people new to the series (have you seen the trophy/achievement completion rates for the older games? They're terrible, people bounce off the games so quickly).

In fairness, if this allows the game to be more accessible and therefore increase the likelihood of further games, I'm all for it. Have a couple of obvious 'hand-held' methods to get the job done while keeping the more esoteric in the background.

I've played Hitman since OG Hitman 2 and so as a veteran these newer games aren't too intimidating: however you only have to read a few forumites here struggle with the shear scale of some of these levels to understand how difficult it is to balance this type of game, so I'm not surprised casuals get turned off very quickly. In many ways I think this third game has shown the trilogy reach maturation with how they approach this problem.

Back to the game: Finished Dubai and Dartmoor last night. Dubai was so-so as a venue but Dartmoor was amazing. Talking of OG Hitman 2, it reminded me of the villa level at the start of that game - one of the better levels of the early games. If only the Bond game they're making turns out half as good as this - which is unlikely, as it'll probably end up like Kane & Lynch....

4 minutes ago, donkeyk said:

In fairness, if this allows the game to be more accessible and therefore increase the likelihood of further games, I'm all for it. Have a couple of obvious 'hand-held' methods to get the job done while keeping the more esoteric in the background.

I've played Hitman since OG Hitman 2 and so as a veteran these newer games aren't too intimidating: however you only have to read a few forumites here struggle with the shear scale of some of these levels to understand how difficult it is to balance this type of game, so I'm not surprised casuals get turned off very quickly. In many ways I think this third game has shown the trilogy reach maturation with how they approach this problem.

Back to the game: Finished Dubai and Dartmoor last night. Dubai was so-so as a venue but Dartmoor was amazing. Talking of OG Hitman 2, it reminded me of the villa level at the start of that game - one of the better levels of the early games. If only the Bond game they're making turns out half as good as this - which is unlikely, as it'll probably end up like Kane & Lynch....

Oh yeah, as I say not a complaint. Just comparing it something like, say, Paris in the first game which I think is a lot more overwhelming than Dubai as the first main level because Dubai practically hands a fairly easy story mission on a plate to you in the lobby. I think it's a smarter way of trying to break people into the series. I heard of so many people completing the tutorials in 1 and then feeling completely overwhelmed in Paris because the jump from tutorial to first mission in terms of scale was so vast.

34 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Yeah, it really seems to depend on what kind of gamer you are. Personally, I can't think of anything more enthusiasm-sapping than trying to get every challenge done before moving on. 

I just did Sapienza and spent a good few hours just exploring before ending up with 1 headshot kill and an 1 by exploding golf ball and that was my run. May well come back but the sheer amount of content here means I'd likely never finish. There's bonus missions and escalations (whatever they are..) and I want it to feel like an organic adventure game rather than a box-ticking exercise. 

I am a total noob at this however and it's not the sort of game I usually go for as the game feels a lot smarter than me. 

1 minute ago, Majora said:

Oh yeah, as I say not a complaint. Just comparing it something like, say, Paris in the first game which I think is a lot more overwhelming than Dubai as a main level because Dubai practically hands a story mission on a plate to you in the lobby. I think it's a smarter way of trying to break people into the series. I heard of so many people comparing the tutorials in 1 and then feeling overwhelmed in Paris because the jump from tutorial to first mission in terms of scale was so vast.

Yeah I think we're on the same page. In retrospect as excellent as Hitman 2016 was (and still is) I can understand why it tanked at retail, especially as it was released episodically. The number of people that will have played that Paris level, gone 'WTF way over my head, I'm out' and not bought any more content must've been galling for IOI.

I play through the levels in order and then tend to go back and pick away at the challenges later. So I'll likely finish all the levels in 3 once, then go back to Dubai and do a few challenges there, then a few more challenges in Dartmoor etc. Helps to keep it feeling fresh for me but everyone is different.

If you've tested it and can definitely access the levels in Hitman 3 now, then you're free to delete Hitman 2.

21 minutes ago, donkeyk said:

Yeah I think we're on the same page. In retrospect as excellent as Hitman 2016 was (and still is) I can understand why it tanked at retail, especially as it was released episodically. The number of people that will have played that Paris level, gone 'WTF way over my head, I'm out' and not bought any more content must've been galling for IOI.

Yeah, oddly I feel like 2 is the best jumping on point for the series in that respect: play through the training, then Hawke's Bay, then Miami, and you get a much gentler build-up. Even Miami itself, despite being big and having a lot going on, is easier to intuit than Paris in its design - lots of clear, distinct areas; lots of signposted stories that allow you to focus on small(ish) areas of the map rather than having to explore broadly.

I think Paris is fantastic, but I was going in as a series veteran; I can only imagine how overwhelming it will have been for new players.

I might argue that Hawke's Bay isn't actually a great follow-up to the tutorial levels. It should be, owing to its size and limited scope, but I don't think it hits the mark in two ways.

One is that there aren't actually any mission stories. The tutorial has mission stories, Miami has mission stories but Hawke's Bay doesn't which I think is quite a strange decision after them being introduced in the tutorial. 

However, the bigger issue for me is that it doesn't impress the importance of the clockwork routine on the player. There are Hitman levels where certain elements work on a timer as we all know but the majority operate on the player interjecting themselves into, or altering, a routine that will go around and around and around for infinity. Understanding this is key for new players to not get too overwhelmed and stressed I think.

Hawkes's Bay, in my opinion, teaches players the wrong lesson. The couple go through a single routine once and then go to bed and that's it. Routine over. Maybe they were trying to teach players that certain schedules aren't infinite but I don't know if many players would instinctively take that lesson away from it. It's the only mission across all three games where a target's routine comes to a screeching halt after one cycle rather than either looping around or simply changing to a different clockwork routine and it happens, effectively, during the onboarding stage for a newcomer. A bit of a misfire for me.

Dubai definitely feels like the best intro mission of the 3 games (discounting the ICA Facility levels, which are pretty much perfect as training levels). As others have said, Paris is overwhelming in its scope and complexity, and Hawke's Bay is a complete outlier. Dubai is just a straightforward Hitman level: two targets with obvious and repeatable routines, plenty of space, several outfits that let you wander more or less freely, and clearly signposted mission stories. It's a great intro.

I think moving away from the episodic release was a sensible idea, too, because it allows them to try out smaller or more experimental levels without widespread disappointment. Every level in Hitman 1 is very similar in its size and complexity, but 2 and 3 vary considerably and are better paced as a result.

(Incidentally, again on the subject of HDR - I retract my earlier comments, it's clearly fucked in Hitman 3. Hope it gets patched...).

This just came in the post, really looking forwCONNECTION FAILED

CONNECTION FAILED

CONNECTION FAILED

Okay, I did get in eventually, it had get a patch listed as "unknown title" or something. Very odd.

Am I right in saying the download code with the PS5 version is a complete free copy of the PS4 version? One I could donate to someone else?

Finally beat Paris in Hitman 1. Took me fucking ages and I was tempted to give up. 

Now doing Marrakesh and doing even worse. Have to be honest, I'm not having much fun. 

Just hope it clicks as I have 2 and 3 to play as well. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Finally beat Paris in Hitman 1. Took me fucking ages and I was tempted to give up. 

Now doing Marrakesh and doing even worse. Have to be honest, I'm not having much fun. 

Just hope it clicks as I have 2 and 3 to play as well. 

Don't approach your first playthrough as this serious assassination simulator. Hitman games have ALWAYS been this dark slapstick comedy adventures first go around IMO. If you're not desperately improvising out of some hideous mess you've made for yourself while trying to work out how in the hell you can even attempt to kill a target first time around, you're doing it too seriously.

1 minute ago, Spacehost said:

Don't approach your first playthrough as this serious assassination simulator. Hitman games have ALWAYS been this dark slapstick comedy adventures first go around IMO. If you're not desperately improvising out of some hideous mess you've made for yourself while trying to work out how in the hell you can even attempt to kill a target first time around, you're doing it too seriously.

Yeah I'm constantly reloading saves as things just go wrong and I'm determined to do the level as smooth as possible. 

Maybe I will just kill everyone. And drop the difficulty. 

2 hours ago, kempstar said:

Like Garwoofoo I’m also aiming to get 20 mastery before moving on. I am dipping into some of the older levels in between Dubai runs though, so getting variety that way.

With the challenges, the picture in the menu is often a big clue (if the description doesn’t outright give it away) I also massively underrated just hanging out listening to NPCs, especially those in pairs/huddled. There’s a challenge in Dubai where you have to get two people to meet; it’s pretty straight forward once you find the location but you still have to wait around to see what unfolds before getting on the clues to what your role in facilitating the meeting needs to be. The game is good with handholding in terms of stories but also very illustrative in visual and audio clues scattered around levels. Remarkably so I think, each level feels like a living, breathing corner of the world and yet also a supremely playable sandbox.

Did the trophies for the ICA facility yesterday, was nice going back to that. I’m sure by the end of next week I’ll have played at least one run of Sapienza, and some of the older levels I haven’t hit 20 on.

22 minutes ago, Ry said:

Yeah I'm constantly reloading saves as things just go wrong and I'm determined to do the level as smooth as possible. 

Yeah, playing it like that will make it miserable for a first time.

Part of the fun of exploring the areas is wandering into the restricted parts by accident, getting in a fight, nicking their clothes and stashing their body before carrying on as if nothing happened :) 

35 minutes ago, Ry said:

I did one particularly tough-seeming level by beaning a bodyguard in the head with a thrown coconut, shoving the target over a wall, then power-walking to the exit sweating bullets before someone could tell security. Perfectly legitimate.

@Ry I get you and I jump back and forth  from wondering whether I can be arsed after getting spotted by some random for the millionth time to having some great fun killing army generals by kicking toilets on to their heads. 

Each level has been more slapdash than the one before and the fun has increased incrementally with it. Just go with it, it's all just daft as shit. 

2 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I also like to find a crowbar, screw driver and wrench when looking around as there's always something you can mess with.

And best of all, they'll often lead you to a setup you can just leave to trigger while you're off dealing with another target. Nothing more satisfying than getting the dominoes all lined up, then heading off to do your own thing and getting the picture-in-picture pop up five minutes later while you're dunking target number two's head down a toilet.

With the saving and reloading loads, there's nothing wrong with it but it's much more fun to see how stuff plays out. Also don't feel you have to ace a level on your first try. My first Berlin run was awful, but also really funny as I'm walking around a club throwing apples at people as exposition through my earpiece says "this guy's a real pro... you need to be careful in there." 

29 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Chucking things at people to knock them out/kill them is really useful.

I also like to find a crowbar, screw driver and wrench when looking around as there's always something you can mess with.

Yeah, two incredibly useful things that it's easy to overlook when you're starting out; throwing coins to distract people and lure them away, and throwing objects to knock them out instantly from a distance. Together they're almost OP, but it works because a lot of the difficulty in Hitman comes from your own self-imposed objectives.

1 minute ago, CarloOos said:

a lot of the difficulty in Hitman comes from your own self-imposed objectives

So much this. I lost two hours one night just trying to blow someone up with a rubber duck. Could've done it some other way, but no. I wanted to blow them up with a rubber duck.

Also there is some form of balance to throwing objects to subdue because most of them make a clattering noise. So you have to weigh up knocking them out instantly but potentially alerting nearby NPCs Vs subduing them silently but taking a few seconds to do so.

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

Chucking things at people to knock them out/kill them is really useful.

This is where the game tricks me. My brain says I need to do something one way when there is million other ways to do it. Was trying to lure the Headmaster Marrakesh out of his chair so I could choke him out so was throwing coins and waiting for him.

Watched a speed runner video after I'd completed it and he just twatted him with a wrench in his face.