Hitman III - January 2021 - Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4/5, & PC

5 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I don't think I've ever unlocked the explosive golf ball. It was originally used in Sapienza right?

Yes, but I don't think it was an unlockable before, it's just found in the level. It's now an unlockable in the Dubai Mastery track, but also found in the level.

In Sapienza I used to use it to blow a hole in the wall for easy exfil from the underground lab when doing SO/SA runs :)

5 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I don't think I've ever unlocked the explosive golf ball. It was originally used in Sapienza right?

That was the first thing I came across on that mission in the safe house, was wandering around the gangsters house and saw the putting lawn with the prompt so dropped it down and then 5 minutes later got a message saying I'd blown up the target. Result! 

28 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

You can get the same kill in Sapienza.

You don’t need to unlock it for Dubai though.

Spoiler

Near the server room a lady in the maintenance corridor on a phone call reveals there is a ball locked away. You need to knock/take her out to get a key. The locked room is just around the corner. The golf ball then needs to be placed in the right place, a basket of golf balls on an exterior deck off the main penthouse atrium.

Two penthouse guards talk about Ingram only playing golf when he gets angry. Another guard tells a cleaner not to make noise because Ingram likes peace and quiet while he’s working.

Uninterrupted, Ingram takes a route around the penthouse, talking into his dictaphone.

Sure would be a shame if an agent used that well-placed hoover and radio when he’s nearby ;)

Good luck, 47

As with many Hitman trails, doing one thing triggers another. In this challenge it’s a neat succession of events that many will miss.

I now love the amount of breadcrumbs IO leave and wish I’d initially been more in-tune to them in the first two games. Back then I’d either stumble into them or give up and move onto something more obvious.

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Oh no there absolutely are mission stories in 3, just less per level than in 1 and 2. It's basically a couple of mission stories and then what usually would be mission stories are just random kills you have to find in the world. It's quite a nice split for me and makes those of us who maybe wouldn't have found the really obscure kills in 1 and 2 feel a bit cleverer for finding more rather than being told what to do. 

Ah cool. I doubt I will replay the game anyway so I only do a couple mission stories per level. 

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah if you have the HUD on, Dubai, Dartmoor and ICA HQ have 3, Berlin has 0.

In general levels in the other 2 games had 6 in each.

So it might just be they've decided to help even casual players a bit less but I'm casual so that's how I played :P

Look through the various assassination challenges, they're all still there. There's just no A > B > C guide to achieving them all any more.

This is my first hit man. Finished mission 1 and It’s just not clicking. Ended up just going around with an assault rifle and shooting everyone before running. Otherwise I would get to a point where the ‘next objective’ thing just vanished so just left wondering around aimlessly. I  understand there are multiple ways to kill but I don’t seem to spot or connect the dots at all.

What do you do if you have no idea what to do next?

The NPC conversations ain't exactly subtle about some of the kills available to you if you take the time to listen to them. If an NPC conversation is subtitled it's generally worth listening to. If something appears as Intel in the menu then chances are you can glean something from it also.

Can't say I know why your objective 'disappeared' though. Do you mean it didn't tell you where to go next or that it just flat out didn't tell you what to do next? Did you complete one story but not yet start another maybe? The mission story you're given in the Dubai lobby walks you through the level from beginning to end. There is a mission stories tab in the menu, check that you're tracking one in there.

5 hours ago, Capwn said:

This is my first hit man. Finished mission 1 and It’s just not clicking. Ended up just going around with an assault rifle and shooting everyone before running. Otherwise I would get to a point where the ‘next objective’ thing just vanished so just left wondering around aimlessly. I  understand there are multiple ways to kill but I don’t seem to spot or connect the dots at all.

You really just need to explore the level and make mental (or physical) notes of all the intel that pops up when you overhear conversations, and of things you find on your travels. You’ll uncover bits of various threads which should give you ideas of where to look or what to do next, even if it doesn’t seem to directly help you kill a target. You just need to investigate these leads to see what happens and how it plays out. 

For example if you tail Marcus Stuyvesant the through the party you can easily overhear him in a security room talking about a replacement bodyguard he’s expecting today. The guards say that he’s down in some staff area getting ready. So that should make you think “ah, I’ll get a disguise with some staff access and explore the lower levels”. If you poke around enough you’ll find the bodyguard and there will be something there that allows you to take the next step and manipulate your target. You can be sure that eventually you will create an opening for a clean assassination. 

It’s really just about exploring, observing and eavesdropping and then trying stuff to see what happens. 

I'm really enjoying Sapienza and thinking about buying either 1 or 3. Is there a particularly strong reason to choose the latter, or are the levels in 1 sort of considered classics?

Also, how do I unlock a Sniper rifle in Sapienza? My mastery is pretty high, but I don't have a sniper available.

No one Hitman game has the ‘best’ levels as they are spread across all three. You’ll probably want to play them all via Hitman 3 so you get the best graphics/performance (if you have a next gen console) and can take advantage of all the little tweaks and improvements. 

There might not be a sniper in Sapienza. I think if you go to the career tab and select Mastery you can look at the unlocks for each map. There are more unlocks available for different challenges but you have to hunt around the interface to find which challenges unlock them I think. 

23 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Oh no there absolutely are mission stories in 3, just less per level than in 1 and 2. It's basically a couple of mission stories and then what usually would be mission stories are just random kills you have to find in the world. It's quite a nice split for me and makes those of us who maybe wouldn't have found the really obscure kills in 1 and 2 feel a bit cleverer for finding more rather than being told what to do. 

Yeah and to be fair I was quite smug for figuring out the golf ball thing from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

No one Hitman game has the ‘best’ levels as they are spread across all three. You’ll probably want to play them all via Hitman 3 so you get the best graphics/performance (if you have a next gen console) and can take advantage of all the little tweaks and improvements. 

There might not be a sniper in Sapienza. I think if you go to the career tab and select Mastery you can look at the unlocks for each map. There are more unlocks available for different challenges but you have to hunt around the interface to find which challenges unlock them I think. 

Thanks. I think the GOTY edition of Hitman 1 can be had for about a tenner, so I thought it’s probably a much cheaper way of getting some more Hitman, and I can always pick up 3 when it’s on sale. I’m playing on Series S, so it runs at 60fps, which is really nice. I had a look at a comparison of the three games and I couldn’t see that much of a difference between the same levels in Hitman 1 and Hitman 3, really:

There are definitely sniper challenges in Sapienza, but I’ll poke around some more and see if I can find out how to get a rifle.

8 hours ago, Capwn said:

Go into the menu and make sure you’re following a ‘mission’, these are the things that pop up as you wander around and overhear things. If you’re following one those it should guide you through a particular way of achieving a kill, and you can also mix and match them. There’s no right or wrong way of killing any target but following these usually gift you some of sneakiest/most elaborate methods per level.

When exploring the levels don’t forget to use the ‘Hitman Vision’ or whatever it’s called under RB/R1, it’s easy to miss things and that’ll show you want you can interact with in the environment, which should give you other ideas.

There were two things that I found frustrating in particular.

1) The assassin character. It led me towards target 1 with info. The 2nd target however there was nothing. Usually there is a blue icon leading you to the next intel but here there was nothing. I was actually wondering if it was a bug? Is there ever a moment where there is no blue icon?

2) there was a bit where a guard read out a code. I forgot the code. I looked all over the menus for it, typically you get logs in games for this kinda stuff. In this game, do you need pen/paper like the old days? 

Is this the case with most info? I know in the menu it captures super high level info but what about the more mundane info? Is that not logged anywhere?

Nah you actually need to use you brain and memory which is one of the things I love. It’s like being a detective. 

Also mission stories only tend to lead you go assassinate one character, although there is an exception in Dubai. 

I always struggle with remembering random codes and numbers, often on a phone and people will say 'call me back on - 6 digit number' and by the time they reach the last number I've always forgotten. It's like those SMS codes, I'm sure normal people just read them once and input the code but for me I have to do it in 2-3 chunks.

12 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I always struggle with remembering random codes and numbers, often on a phone and people will say 'call me back on - 6 digit number' and by the time they reach the last number I've always forgotten. It's like those SMS codes, I'm sure normal people just read them once and input the code but for me I have to do it in 2-3 chunks.

You'd make a rubbish hitman! Here's a clue, the code is:

Spoiler

6927. Which I remembered as 'sexual position + Agent 47, but in his twenties'.

I've entered it so many times now :)

Oof, well they saved the worst for last. Put the last level down god knows how far through, it's both boring and badly checkpointed. I'll give it another crack later and make sure I save manually often. I went in not expecting a lot but it still came under my expectations.

What’s the deal with Escalations? Do people play them or mainly focus on the main mission?

They seem like mini challenges that can be sort of fun but don’t seem to have the depth and myriad of options that the main missions have. 

Spent 30 minutes trying to get "Take a photo of Alexa during the family meeting".

Gave up, checked online, it's broken for virtually everyone.  How does THAT get past testing?  Turns out "leaving via the motorcycle you came in on" also never pops as a challenge for a lot of people including me too, i.e - literally the first thing that would be tested.

Which in Hitman 1 and 2 I probably wouldn't care that much but now you've all got me actually trying to maximise levels that's basically an entire location mastery level lost to stupid glitching.

How is Cyberpunk 2077 still the least buggy game I've played on xbox on the last 6 months?

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Spent 30 minutes trying to get "Take a photo of Alexa during the family meeting".

Gave up, checked online, it's broken for virtually everyone.  How does THAT get past testing?  Turns out "leaving via the motorcycle you came in on" also never pops as a challenge for a lot of people including me too, i.e - literally the first thing that would be tested.

Took a photo standing behind her during the family meeting on my first run and the challenge popped. Leaving on a motorcycle didn’t though. There’s also a Dartmoor trophy that requires three kills. Did all three kills, got the trophy but one of the challenges associated with one of those kills remains unchecked.

Have also completed all three Dubai story missions but the trophy for doing so hasn’t unlocked. Expect a patch will sort most of them but didn’t experience anything as buggy in the previous two games.

Yeah, that's the angle on here the challenge shows but it really, REALLY didn't work for me.  Someone said they got it from the balcony but I've tried that too.

I can sort of understand the photo challenges being at least tricky to be fair (although feels like a fairly central thing to fix) since they are at least new in 3 but leaving via a route? I don't even know HOW you break that and obviously it's been a central thing in all the previous games.

Since installing this I've played nothing else. I love Hitman games, and now I finally have a good enough PC to play again it properly. Picked up the access passes for Hitman 1 and 2 as well, and all I've done is play the Paris mission in different ways to get the challenges. The way the level opens up as you gain mastery and pick up clues and map it out in your head is really quite something.

If H3 is anything like that, and I can't see why it won't be, it'll be an early entry for GOTY.

There does seem to be the odd bug. I've got the bug in Dartmoor that doesn't recognise the motorcycle as an exit.

Mendoza seems to have a few bugs. Occasionally the female target doesn't show up red in Hitman vision. Also, I managed to completely break it when I chose not to get frisked as part of a story mission. I decided to go an alternative route to the target area and it seemed to completely screw up the scripting for the end of the mission. I had to repeat about 30 minutes to try it again.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, that's the angle on here the challenge shows but it really, REALLY didn't work for me.  Someone said they got it from the balcony but I've tried that too.

I can sort of understand the photo challenges being at least tricky to be fair (although feels like a fairly central thing to fix) since they are at least new in 3 but leaving via a route? I don't even know HOW you break that and obviously it's been a central thing in all the previous games.

Yeah sorry, wasn’t meant to sound like, ‘well I got it, LOL’. There is some quirkiness going on in the game. Seen a few posts claiming replaying stories/challenges offline causes them to finally unlock, but such things shouldn’t need a workaround.

As said, hopefully these things are relatively easy to patch. Surprised there hasn’t been anything released yet to be honest, fairly uncommon for a big release these days.

I didn't get the motorbike exit the first time I tried in Dartmoor after sneaking out through the underbrush. However it did pop the second time I tried, after walking across the stone bridge and strolling through the main gates.   This may be a coincidence but having spent years in software testing it does look like the sort of bug you find when you can take multiple paths through a piece of code.

Did mission 2. Mission 3 I’m cluelessly wandering around trying to kill ICA men but there is no opening or clues how to do it? Another hour wasted wandering around aimlessly. Really not getting on with this.