rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Treble

Wurzel Gummidge (2019)

I hope people have watched this. Its by far the best new thing I've seen this Christmas.

Charming but a bit scary in a Green Man/druid kind of way. It's the sort of thing a patient and intelligent kid will become completely obsessed with and demand to watch every subsequent Christmas. Magical. 

Was really quite good. A little dark at times but also some nice humour as well. Effects could be better but hey it's pretty much a pilot for a series. I can imagine it finding a home on a sunday at about 6 o'clock. Perfect viewing for that time.

Some fantastic music in this too - reminded me of when the Beeb went all out on the soundtrack for that rubbish Living and the Dead series (where the cinematography and sound was the only thing that carried it through).  

I'd only sat down with this on in the background and no intention of watching it, but ended up really enjoying it.

• Upvote 1

From seeing stills of the new look I was all WTF but that was brilliant, full of charm and just lovely TV. The Detectorists influence was strong. 

It was on while I was at my mums with my family so didn't give it my full attention, but I liked what I saw. Was getting some Wickerman style vibes from it which was most unexpected but pleasing. 

I will be giving it a proper viewing on catch up over the weekend. 

Two minutes in on iPlayer and I’m thinking about how they picked a bad day to shoot the opening scene. Overcast, not doing much for the colours, and then it starts cutting to shots with sun and shadows in-between the thick grey cloud shots.

I don’t know if I can recover from this.

Hah. The article about it in Radio Times says it rained for the first nine days of the shoot, in June.

I loved this though, it was excellent. Best thing I've seen on tv this Christmas.

I thought this was really lovely. Obviously aimed at kids, but has the same warmth and charm of Detectorists. Lots of chuckles, and a fair few full on laughs too. Given that the original damn-near traumatised me as a kid, that's a hell of a turnaround. The cow right at the end of episode 2 was the kind of slightly oddball joke that's right up my street.

Spoiler

horse01.thumb.png.fe2194f8148c93950cc79e1669e2dc81.png

• Upvote 4

Caught this today and thought it was good wholesome fun.

My 22 year old daughter was laughing at me giggling like a kid at the "Has someone farted? Smells like air pushed through poo! Someone's whispered a bum secret."

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Is this only 2 episodes? I was hoping for a full series.

12 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Two minutes in on iPlayer and I’m thinking about how they picked a bad day to shoot the opening scene. Overcast, not doing much for the colours, and then it starts cutting to shots with sun and shadows in-between the thick grey cloud shots.

I don’t know if I can recover from this.

Very bah humbug of me. But you dont pick weather days if you're not Hollywood. You book days and pray.

A show will be 50 people earning £400 a day median. £25k in crew per day. Another £100k in production (location, catering, camera, lights, props, sets etc). A show like this won't spend a million pounds keeping everyone on standby waiting for the sun. 

I agree; best show this Christmas. If the Detectorists hadn't been mentioned I wouldn't have bothered but it's got the same humour and charm. Captivating.

We were LOL'ing at the mad stuff painted on the cows. "I LIKE GRASS" :lol:

More please.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, merman said:

Caught up with the first episode yesterday, fantastic.

Watched the second one today, bloody brilliant. Fantastic cast, beautifully shot and a great sense of humour. Loved the environmental messages in there too. More please!

Chalk me up as another fan. My whole family were laughing like mad at the Trubblemakers and their "swears" on the cows.

Also as I'm doing Veganuary I'm pretty much now a "Pat Factory" too!

On 27/12/2019 at 23:28, gospvg said:

Is this only 2 episodes? I was hoping for a full series.

I thought it was a bit odd that the two episodes weren't two parts of the same story, i.e. this was like watching the first two episodes of a series. Seems to suggest that it is part of something already filmed...

Recognising that this is a kids show, I never the less thought the first episode was very wet. The second episode on the other hand, with the cow swears and Worzel Bummage, was proper lolz. 

On 03/01/2020 at 15:37, Davros sock drawer said:

I thought it was a bit odd that the two episodes weren't two parts of the same story, i.e. this was like watching the first two episodes of a series. Seems to suggest that it is part of something already filmed...

These two episodes are all they've done so far. The BBC haven't commissioned any more (yet).

That was lovely. All of the cast were excellent, but Earthy Mangold was especially brilliant, as was her make-up.

It was also great to see Palin again. More please.

Oh and it's Worzel OP not Wurzel. I'm not being a smart arse it's just google corrected me when I cut & pasted your title to search for the show :)

But yeah, Soggy Bogart and the boys had me lol'ing into a turnip.