rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Fargo

Gaming New Year Resolutions

2020 is going to be a huge year between the new consoles arriving in Q4 and the likes of FF7, Cyberpunk, Doom Eternal, The last of Us 2, RE3 etc arriving on the current consoles before then. 

Anyway in terms of gaming resolutions in 2020 I’m going to have a serious crack at finishing Sekiro, starting and completing Bloodborne, and replaying both Uncharted 4 and the Lost Legacy, which on balance are my two games of the generation (at least for now!)

anyone else got gaming resolutions for 2020?

• Upvote 4

I started playing just the one game at a time and not switching to something else until either it's finished or I'm done with it forever. (Note that I only play single player games or else I probably would have one or two mp games on the side) That has worked out extremely well, I'm actually finishing and enjoying games a lot more instead of sampling the first few hours of each shiny new title and feeling unsatisfied for not playing further. And I made a serious dent in my backlog this way.

So, I'm going to keep doing that. My biggest hype for the upcoming year is without a doubt Cyberpunk, therefore I'm going to time it so that I'm between games around its release date :)

• Upvote 5

Actually managed to stick to my resolution from last year which was to only ever have one main game and one indie title on the go at any one time. As a result I've had the most enjoyable year of gaming I can remember, and also completed way more than I usually do in a year (include some pretty epic length titles)... so I'll definitely be sticking to that rule for 2020.

• Upvote 3

This year I spent the first six months or so getting through my backlog games, playing them in the order that I bought them, before playing 2019 games in the second half of the year so that I could participate in the GOTY discussions, which is something I usually miss out on. It worked well so I'm going to do the same this year, once I've completed the game that I'm playing, with the exceptions of FF7 and LoU2 which I'll pick up and play shortly after launch, once the inevitable launch day bugs have been sorted out. Cyberpunk I'm going to wait and see if there's a PS5/Scarlett version first as that'll be a better experience than current gen.

I don't think I'll buy either of the next gen consoles at launch. If anything it'll be something of a relief to not have a never-ending torrent of new games to buy.

Apart from that I'm going to try to be a bit more discriminatory about the games I buy this year, not just getting them because they're cheap and have received some good reviews, but actually watching a few videos and really asking myself 'Is this the game for me?' before hitting the buy button. I've bought too many games this year that I've abandoned.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I actually have a couple of proper streaming plans I'd like to do! The Celeste stuff I did a while back makes me want to do another "streamthrough". My first thought is Half-Minute Hero: doing a Hero 30 mission on stream once or twice a week (any% - not necessarily going for bonus objectives) because I bloody love that game.

I also have another streaming idea but it's very much out of my comfort zone and needs a bit of preparation, so I don't want to bring it up now in case I chicken out later...

---

I don't know if it was ever an official "resolution" but one 2019 thing I'm personally proud of is the conclusion of my oldschool Persona playthroughs and "let's play" threads. The first thread was created in the middle of 2018, so the whole thing was maybe 16 months in the making! The original plan was to comment on a P1 playthrough and nothing more, because I bounced off that game in the past, but then people started talking P2, and this year I did "let's play" commentary on both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. I don't know if anything I do this year will top that!

I'm also happy with my 2019 games expenditure results - I mostly stuck to the games I definitely wanted, with only a few sale purchases on the side. Which gives me an excuse to blow my saved money on daft stuff in 2020... :P 

1. I have three titles on my must-buy list:

• The Last of Us Part II
  • Ghostof Tsushima
  • ResidentEvil 3

2. I don't plan on buying a PS5 (or any next-gen console) at launch (too much to sort in the new house).

3. I'm going to finish what I buy - this includes stuff bought late this year like Judgment & DMC5

4. I'm going to post more in discussion threads about games I'm playing with more detailed posts rather than "it's great" etc.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I'm also happy with my 2019 games expenditure results - I mostly stuck to the games I definitely wanted, with only a few sale purchases on the side. Which gives me an excuse to blow my saved money on daft stuff in 2020... :P 

Tracking expenditure is something I want to get back on top of next year as well, even if I don't do it in the dedicated thread. I've no idea what I spent this year...

• Upvote 2

My first and most important resolution is:

- No new games until FF7R. 

If I can crack this, I can largely do or play what I want. I have a lot of big games I'm kind of enjoying in part but which haven't really gripped me yet. This may be because they're not that good, not really to my taste or, likely, because I have jumped from one to another like so many sinking lily pads.

I'm not yet completely inclined to go full shmup but it is daft to be buying Death Stranding and Days Gone and the like, only to ditch them after a few hours to put another fifty into Dodonpachi Daioujou. I'm perfectly happy with the latter, by the way, it's so much more exciting, rewarding and stimulating to learn a new DOJ link to maintain my chain than it is to do almost anything else in games, but the daft thing is buying a fifty quid game and not giving it a chance before moving onto the next ad nauseam.

I do still have some appetite for these big games having eventually really enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn earlier this year and AC Odyssey last year. They require you to break the back of them a bit, though, before they start to feel engaging. That seems like a waste of time in a way but they are ultimately quite rewarding and much more relaxing and immersive than playing a bullet hell shmup which often leaves me feeling exhausted. So, there's room in the hobby for these games but one at a time. 

Second resolution is:

- Cancel Gold/PS+ (&GP) 

I'll keep NSO because it's so cheap and the SNES games are worth it, as well as the occasional online bash on Smash, Splatoon 2 or Daemon X Machina or whatever, but the principle is the same. Across the XB1X and Pro, I have probably a dozen online games which do very little for me but make me feel I need to invest in one to make it worthwhile. BFV, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, SFV, Destiny 2, Apex, PUBG, whatever else. I am amateur hour at all of them and while I quite like the odd game, they largely involve me getting battered by people who have put a shitload more time in than me. I know that's pure ScrubQuotes but that's the reality. I don't enjoy them but the fact that I'm paying for the online services makes me feel like I should keep chipping away once in a while. Fuck that. Cancel and uninstall.

- Done Means Done

I am the worst for redownloading and uninstalling games on the Switch. I don't know if this is mild OCD but I always want to have 9 rows of games, sometimes increasing to 12, which I then prune back to 9. Occasionally, I will savagely this to 6 or even 3 but then I will get consumed by the idea that I need Gunbird 2 on the off chance I fancy it, or maybe Mario + Rabbids or surely I will eventually feel like doing the Bayo 2 campaign again or how bout that Valkyria Chronicles or Gris or Rayman Legends or Doom or Katamari or DBFZ or Diablo 3 or whatever the fuck I heard was good so bought or enjoyed once so bought again and then I install and delete and install and delete and oh, I finished a game so I'll delete it but need to replace it. Hmm. Off to the eShop just to plug a fuckin hole in my dashboard with something satisfactory. This is total insanity. Fuck that. This year I'm taking my wife to Rome for two weeks instead of this mad shit.

I'm deleting everything I don't really want to finish or which I want to go back to because of my experience of enjoying it, not because I think I should like it. When I complete something it's getting deleted no matter how the dashboard looks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Looked at my PS4’s pile of shame Vs upcoming releases I’m fussed about getting and think not buying anything new until the pile is cleared is a sensible approach. There’s only a handful of games on the horizon I want to get and even then new games price drop after a month anyway, so not arsed about getting in on day one with any of them (plus there’s all the frequent patching soon after release)

Might amend that to no new gen until the current pile is cleared. Cyberpunk looks great, but there’ll surely be a souped up PS5 version so happy to wait for that while clearing out a pretty decent backlog.

Ill just be playing older games as there are so many I want to check out that I haven’t yet. I also stick to one at a time bar the addition that is also having a 3DS title on the go as well. I’ve yet to finish Zelda a link between worlds. I received celeste recently in physical form so I’ll be starting that and also have a few others ordered yet to come. Will also be playing Bloodstained as I got that very recently too. May try out a big open world title like Horizon Zero Dawn it finally play Dark Souls. 

Clean out my ‘collection’ that I’ve been storing at my parent’s house.  Keeping only things I’ll ever really replay, actually rare, or have a real sentimental value.

I guess mine is gonna be to pretty much ignore subscription services whenever possible, on paper they’re great value but the reality, for me, is an all you can eat buffet which costs the same as the exact meal you really wanted, but that you end up just picking at here and there without ever being really fulfilled. So I’ll just buy the games I really want and play those, I don’t really like the way the whole industry, bar Nintendo, and, ironically, Stadia, is moving towards these subscription based service models anyway. 

More games less often, or fewer games more often - depending how you look at it :huh:

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I’d like to clear my backlog before buying anything this year, especially the crazy March releases. I really need to finish RDR2, Astral Chain and Octopath Traveller. I’m unsure if I’m enjoying Death Stranding enough to keep going, will give it another try. Also have all the LiS2 episodes ready on Gamepass.

I only bought 4 new games this year and that was plenty, to enable me to clear the backlog. 

Resi2, Sekiro, MK11, Shenmue 3

Will continue to only buy stuff that must be played on day 1 and enjoy retro stuff/backlog in between - ive still got a sealed copy of Fist if the North Star taunting me along with Control and Just Cause 4 I got for Xmas. That said 2020 has a fair few more games I really want to play - Resi 3, Shenmue DLC, Eternal Doom, Streets of Rage 4, TLOU2 won't wait. 

Downsizing my retro collection to a curated 20 games per system max was the best thing I've ever done. Tons of space, money and each game inspires great memories when i take the box off the shelf, rather than just being there to fill it up. 

• Upvote 1

Mine isn't really a resolution, just a continuation of what I've been doing for a while now, which is to keep focusing on games through to completion.