Best feelgood movies.

On 01/10/2018 at 19:36, ckny said:

Chef really helped me through a bit of a rough patch. Love it, and still listen to the soundtrack regularly.

i said this last time this topic came around. Chef is the ultimate feel good film for me.

On 29/12/2019 at 02:00, partious said:

Everyone's seen them but,

Field of Dreams

Cinema Paradiso

I recently watched "The Family Man" starring Nicolas Cage, which was ok but not a patch on It's a Wonderful Life (which it was clearly inspired by), partly because why would it be as good as that and also because the premise has a fatal flaw that sort of makes a universal feel good conclusion impossible. It's only a feel good movie if you're already a family man ;)

For an old movie that is just lighthearted and fun to watch, I recommend "It Happened One Night".

The shower dancing scene makes me feel good :eyebrows:

On 29/12/2019 at 18:51, multiclunk said:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople and The Intouchables are the two that I've enjoyed most in the last couple of years.

Just watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople because of this mention, and it was indeed lovely. I was aware of its existence before this (it's been on freeview a few times at least) , but didn't know I needed to watch it until now. Great stuff, ta.

• 2 weeks later...

All the Aardman films are wonderfully 'nice' but the Wallace and gromit movies are a joy. 

Any muppets movie.

Belleville rendezvous

And as you mentioned the amazing totoro, whisper of the heart is so pleasant I cried at the end the first time I saw it, purely due to how nice it all was, it's fucking lovely. It should go without saying but watch the subtitled version.

I watched The Dish the other day, the gentle Australian comedy with Sam Neill, that tells a fictionalised version of one of the Australian radio observatories that received TV signals from the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Has anyone mentioned any feelgood documentaries? I'm going to suggest Anvil! The Story of Anvil.

On 29/12/2019 at 02:00, partious said:

Cinema Paradiso

Watched this for the first time a few nights ago. Not sure I'd class it as 'feelgood' - it's frustrating as all hell.

it Happened One Night was a good shout. Love that film.

21 minutes ago, Camel said:

Watched this for the first time a few nights ago. Not sure I'd class it as 'feelgood' - it's frustrating as all hell.

it Happened One Night was a good shout. Love that film.

You might be right :D I was only really thinking of the ending and it's a long time since I last watched it.

Nobody else mentioned Field of Dreams which is my go to "pull my  emotional strings" movie. Is that because people haven't seen it (unlikely), it's too obvious and akin to suggesting Rocky or (I suspect this might be it) people consider it cheesy or otherwise unworthy? It's probably sort of emotionally manipulative and not the type of movie you'd admit to liking in a conversation down at the local arthouse cinema but still.. I'm curious, do people generally like or dislike it? 

2 hours ago, partious said:

Nobody else mentioned Field of Dreams which is my go to "pull my  emotional strings" movie. Is that because people haven't seen it (unlikely), it's too obvious and akin to suggesting Rocky or (I suspect this might be it) people consider it cheesy or otherwise unworthy? It's probably sort of emotionally manipulative and not the type of movie you'd admit to liking in a conversation down at the local arthouse cinema but still.. I'm curious, do people generally like or dislike it? 

“If you build it they will come”

Normallyhas me bawling like a baby you the time ‘they come’, but then so does Marley and Me. Go figure