12. Hylics

13. LiEat

14. Sonic Robo Blast 2

15. Hustle Cat

16. Universal Paperclips

17. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

18. Pixel Session Vol. 1

19. Helltaker

20. What The Golf? (100% + Sporty Sports)

21. A Kishoutenketsu in the Countryside

22. tomorrow won't come for those without ██████

It's been so long since I've finished a game. Picked this up in the last Steam sale after hopping around highly-rated stuff. It's another RPGmaker thing (see LiEat, OneShot) that is very unsettling, surreal and absurd. You start off waking up in the bath, there's a dead body in your bedroom, and within moments you've found another one and also... a copy of yourself? It doesn't make much more sense after that either.

I had to finish a guide to get the "proper" ending, though it was definitely worth it.

On 03/12/2020 at 10:24, Pelekophoros said:

01/01: Superhot (XBone)

03/01: Old Man's Journey (XBone)

05/01: The Turing Project (XBone)

19/01: Halo: CE Anniversary (XBone)

01/04: Quantum Break (XBone)

02/04: Halo 2 (Xbone)

04/04: Call Of Duty MW (2019) (XBone)

13/05: Control (PS4)

02/06: Call Of Duty WWII (PS4)

18/06: God of War 2018 (PS4)

26/06: Shadow Of The Colossus (PS4)

05/07: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

06/07: Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

07/07: Universal Paperclip (web)

09/08: Carrion (Xbone)

10/08: Robocop (Arcade)

12/08: Sly Spy Secret Agent (Arcade)

14/08: Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja (Arcade)

16/08: Batman Arkham Knight (PS4)

19/08: Vigilante (Arcade)

20/08: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Campaign Remastered (PS4)

25/08: Glass Masquerade (Switch)

30/08: Erica (PS4)

08/09: Into The Breach (Switch)

12/09: Rastan (Arcade)

19/09: Super Mario Bros (Switch)

24/09: A Short Hike (Switch) 

26/09: Halo 3 (Xbone)

28/09: Halo 3: ODST (XBone)

03/10: Halo: Reach (Xbone)

08/10: Halo 4 (Xbone)

11/10: Aliens (Arcade)

11/10: Halo 5 (XBone)

24/10: Until Dawn (PS4)

02/11: Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (Xbone)

07/11: Man Of Medan (PS4)

08/11: A Way Out (PS4)

20/11: Astrobot's Playroom (PS5)

22/11: ESWAT Cyber Police (Arcade)

23/11: Bugsnax (PS5)

02/12: Spider-man Miles Morales (PS5)

20/12: Destiny 2 Beyond Light (PS5)

I waited for the 4k/60FPS update to crack this open on the PS5, and it is glorious. Everything feels perfect. The campaign is also so good. It's mainly new, of course, which is great and having not played much but the campaigns element of the game for a while all the strikes feel new as well. Proper top tier Destiny, this. Loved it, and am invested in playing it loads more in a its grindy way.

This may be my last game of the year, unless Watch Dogs Legion gets its hooks into me. Still undecided on that one, though.

Monster Train - I'm not done with this game, I'm going to keep playing it, but it's really good, I genuinely think it's better than Slay the Spire. That could often feel stingy with the sheer enemy stat inflation you had to keep up with, whereas this feels like it's giving you a bunch of powerful options. It's significantly easier as a result, it wants you to win and if you play well you're basically styling on the bosses, but after dropping Noita for bullshit difficulty, this was welcome. It feels like the real game starts here through the Covenant system, and if you don't want more challenge, there's much more horizontal variety through the 25 different tribe combinations, each of which has several commanders and a bunch of viable decks. And the fact that a run feels significantly shorter than StS's slow turn-based battles also just makes this very one-more-go addictive.

Gears 5: Hivebusters - This free* on Game Pass expansion is like most of these expansions, a condensed form of the campaign with a different cast, a more fun tone, and a few new gameplay twists to mix things up. Here it's the introduction of gadgets, which are basically 'powers', that fit well and show the halfway house of the main game as overly conservative. It's a fun ride, with a surprising sequel tease at the end. My main takeaway was just a reiteration of the takeaway I had for Gears 5 - that I was told in the 360 era these were dumb bro-shooters to go with all the military shooters and instead found a series really focused on it's fantasy worldbuilding, I mean look at this:

RJ84JN7.jpg

Spoiler

Doom Eternal

Dishonoured: Death of the Outsider

Disco Elysium (twice)

Halo 4

Tetris Effect: Connected

Eastshade 

FFXIV: Heavensward 

Forza 7

Microsoft Flight Simulator

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Muse Dash

Tell Me Why

Hypnospace Outlaw

The Touryst

Carrion

Mario 64 (PC)

Gone Home 

Observation 

A Short Hike 

Age of Wonders: Planetfall

Yakuza Kiwami

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Gears Tactics

Grandia 3

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Wave Race 64

Slay the Spire

Halo 3: ODST

Halo 3 

Halo 2: Anniversary

Halo CE: Anniversary 

Crackdown 3
Kingdom Come: Deliverance + DLC

God of War (2005) 

Resident Evil 2 RE

Grandia 2 

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

I waited for the 4k/60FPS update to crack this open on the PS5, and it is glorious. Everything feels perfect. The campaign is also so good. It's mainly new, of course, which is great and having not played much but the campaigns element of the game for a while all the strikes feel new as well. Proper top tier Destiny, this. Loved it, and am invested in playing it loads more in a its grindy way.

This may be my last game of the year, unless Watch Dogs Legion gets its hooks into me. Still undecided on that one, though.

I've never played any Destiny game, but I keep hearing good things about their campaigns. Is this the best place to start?

39 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Monster Train - I'm not done with this game, I'm going to keep playing it, but it's really good, I genuinely think it's better than Slay the Spire. That could often feel stingy with the sheer enemy stat inflation you had to keep up with, whereas this feels like it's giving you a bunch of powerful options. It's significantly easier as a result, it wants you to win and if you play well you're basically styling on the bosses, but after dropping Noita for bullshit difficulty, this was welcome. It feels like the real game starts here through the Covenant system, and if you don't want more challenge, there's much more horizontal variety through the 25 different tribe combinations, each of which has several commanders and a bunch of viable decks. And the fact that a run feels significantly shorter than StS's slow turn-based battles also just makes this very one-more-go addictive.

Gears 5: Hivebusters - This free* on Game Pass expansion is like most of these expansions, a condensed form of the campaign with a different cast, a more fun tone, and a few new gameplay twists to mix things up. Here it's the introduction of gadgets, which are basically 'powers', that fit well and show the halfway house of the main game as overly conservative. It's a fun ride, with a surprising sequel tease at the end. My main takeaway was just a reiteration of the takeaway I had for Gears 5 - that I was told in the 360 era these were dumb bro-shooters to go with all the military shooters and instead found a series really focused on it's fantasy worldbuilding, I mean look at this:

RJ84JN7.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Doom Eternal

Disco Elysium (twice)

Halo 4

Eastshade 

Forza 7

Muse Dash

Tell Me Why

Hypnospace Outlaw

The Touryst

Carrion

Mario 64 (PC)

Gone Home 

Observation 

A Short Hike 

Yakuza Kiwami

Gears Tactics

Grandia 3

Wave Race 64

Slay the Spire

Halo 3 

Crackdown 3

God of War (2005) 

Resident Evil 2 RE

Grandia 2 

Re Gears, is the expansion a standalone game, or do you have to get to a certain point in the main story before you can access it? I completed the 5's campaign earlier this year and enjoyed it a lot, but that was on PC; I'd want to play the DLC on Xbox.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've never played any Destiny game, but I keep hearing good things about their campaigns. Is this the best place to start?

I think if you're new to Destiny, and if you have Game Pass, then just download it. You'll have a blast, even if you just solo the Forsaken, Shadowkeep and Beyond Light campaigns. You can't play the earlier ones anymore because of its model.

I was disappointed in Shadowkeep, but that was because of the amount of reused content. Not a problem for you.

41. Half Life: Alyx (PC via Oculus Quest 2)

132307115_10158896196541083_5509659946176470483_o.thumb.jpg.944e2a71c731aa605ab9bf0ce01bc011.jpg

(More screens)

Spoiler

131978543_10158896197296083_2821512739567275861_o.thumb.jpg.9a92124456fda4be2dea6ca572b0dce5.jpg

131968862_10158896198081083_4435609686724088846_o.thumb.jpg.ed9246c50e76978d7d6b32553d8d0abb.jpg

(Late-game area spoiler)

Spoiler

132447981_10158896198541083_3735220274876111622_o.thumb.jpg.154a65711c231b660c321eecf6f3be4c.jpg

Yeah, this really is as good as everyone says it is, and if you’re a fan of the series but don't have the means to play it, without wanting to rub salt into the wound, I’m afraid to say that you’re missing out.

What a game. What an experience, moreover.

This is only the second game I’ve ever played in VR, so the novelty has far from worn off yet, but even if it had, I don’t think that would be enough to prevent this from being one of the most immersive experiences I’ve ever had in a video game, chiefly because, within minutes of starting it, you forget that you’re playing one. Instead, you’re just there, in that world, City 17, rifling through cupboards for ammo, peeking around corners to see what lies ahead, using your hands to manipulate objects, flicking items towards you from across the room using your gravity gloves, crouching down behind a wall while you eject your gun’s magazine, grab a fresh one out of your backpack, slam it into the chamber, pull the slide back and then pop out of cover to fire off a few more shots.

It’s just fantastic. Interacting with the environment feels completely natural. You don’t play it doing what a lifetime of videogames might have taught you to do, or what you think the game wants you to do - you do what you would do if you were in Alyx’s situation, and it just works.

It helps that the entire thing looks so brilliant, too. Even if it weren’t a VR game, in terms of level of detail, lighting and character and enemy models, I think this would stand up with the best of them when it comes to graphical fidelity. But of course, since it is a VR game, the effect is enhanced tenfold and is frequently breathtaking. The audio is similarly excellent - the high-tempo music of the earlier games is replaced here by a brooding, menacing distorted bass motif that seems to lurk quietly in the background at times of low tension but then suddenly surges to the fore when the stakes are high. Typical of a Valve game, the voice acting is also best in class, special mention going to Rhys Darby’s Russell who frequently steals the show and adds a welcome dose of humour to most situations, taking more than a few cues from Stephen Merchant’s Wheatley from Portal 2 as he does so.

As far as the narrative is concerned, I won’t say too much except to mention, first, that I’m definitely glad I played through Episode 2 again before finishing this, and, second, if you’ve enjoyed the other games in the series then the places that the story goes to in this will likely you make you very, very happy, as it did me. After completing it, I no longer need to Beli3ve.

As well as being an excellent game in and of itself, Half Life Alyx is significant in that it represents the proper, triple-A resurgence of a series many that believed to have been dead and buried. It took VR to bring it out of hibernation, but Half Life is back, baby, and it’s better than ever. I feel very lucky to have been able to play it, and it’s such a shame that its relative inaccessibility will prevent it from being enjoyed as widely as it otherwise would be, but if it weren’t for the VR then it would be a very different game, and in my opinion a lesser one. As it is, it’s one of the most captivating and involving videogames I’ve ever experienced, and one that I urge you to seek out.

9.5/10

Probably the last one for 2020

Cyberpunk 2077 - I really enjoyed this, I mean, I really enjoyed Mankind Divided and this is exactly that template applied to a much larger open world - lethal vs nonlethal, hacking and stealth, 'social battles', the way the traversal works, multiple solutions for every quest, etc - Squeenix should ask for royalties.

This is also the most detailed and impressive open world I've ever seen, there were some people lamenting the lack of cocking about, like pushing pedestrians down stairs in GTA, but I never thought that was the main appeal with these games, it was always the city. And here it's fantastic, spectacular, it looks incredible whether in sun, fog or heavy rain, every mission location seems to have been designed to take place in some stunning vista, even the back alleys are unique and incredibly detailed, and there are a surprising number of interiors.

MBHBtN0.jpg

And CDPR know how to do good quests, there's some fantastic ones here, some of the best they've done, just hanging out and talking with good characters you've gotten to know, alongside the series of heists that make up the main quest. I have a few specific thoughts on the writing, which I'll spoiler below:

Spoiler

I still don't like the genre, the setting itself is dumb, it's impossible to take people calling each other 'gonks' or 'corpos' seriously, why does using cyberspace require an ice bath? And I still think it was a pointless thing to adapt as opposed to doing something original.

The writing also doesn't come across as well as the Witcher, your main guy is just a generic 90s videogame protagonist (comes with the dated genre, clearly) there's a lot more cliche dialogue (drink every time "how you holding up" or "we going in?" crops up), and even though those usual CDPR laid back conversations are there, I found a lot of times the additional dialogue options were pointless to take, a lot of the main characters got annoyed at you asking about them to show they were brusque, or focused, or trying to get away from certain topics. A nice idea, but overused.

As to the main plot, maybe it's just coming off Disco Elysium, but I expected a bit more ideology from a game with a terrorist in your head. Instead he just seems to be a bit adolescent nihilistic and there's not really any reason why he was pissed at Arasaka? And your relationship is just the usual buddy cop thing of thinking he's a dick and then coming around, with the explicitly good ending being to embrace him, not helped by Keanu being a terrible voice actor. And while they mentioned not wanting to do a 'save the world' plot, I think some larger stakes would have been good, as it is it drifts into everyone taking crazy risks to save the life of one guy who they all love because he's a videogame protagonist and in videogames everyone praises the player character as much as possible.

It's a shame it's been overshadowed by the controversy, but having stuck 60 hours in, I'd say it feels significantly overstated. While I encountered quite a few visual bugs, they were all harmless - I never had a crash or got locked out of any quests, which as mentioned, makes it far better than say Watch Dogs: Legion, which was deleting saves, or CoD: Cold War, which was broken and locking Xbox players out of the game entirely, yet both of those saw far less press attention. I'd say the difference is probably that they're from major publishers whose regular releases are big drivers of traffic and are a bad idea to piss off, there's less consequence to really going to town on a developer who releases one game every five years. Maybe they should get Ubisoft or Activision to publish the next one.

Spoiler

Monster Train

Gears 5: Hivebusters

Doom Eternal

Disco Elysium (twice)

Halo 4

Eastshade 

Forza 7

Muse Dash

Tell Me Why

Hypnospace Outlaw

The Touryst

Carrion

Mario 64 (PC)

Gone Home 

Observation 

A Short Hike 

Yakuza Kiwami

Gears Tactics

Grandia 3

Wave Race 64

Slay the Spire

Halo 3 

Crackdown 3

God of War (2005) 

Resident Evil 2 RE

Grandia 2 

Previous:

Spoiler

1. Metro Exodus
2. QUBE 2
3. Darksiders 3
4. What Remains of Edith Finch
5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
6. Doom Eternal
7. Journey to the Savage Planet
8. Dark Souls 3
9. Carrion 
10. Fractured Minds
11. Dark Souls: Remastered
12. Return of the Obra Dinn

I could probably write at length about each of these, but will try to keep it relatively brief.

13. Arkham Knight

I don't think I've ever been as excited for a video game as for Arkham Knight. Sadly, the launch absolutely ruined it for me, as I had the misfortune of buying the PC version, which ran horrendously.

Anyway, coming back to it this year, finishing it has been cathartic. The story, characters and gameplay (over reliance on the Batmobile, far too many Riddler challenges) hold it back, but Gotham remains an incredible city, incredibly dense with detail and atmosphere. The rain effects incredible and I think it continues to rival Insomniac's New York.

BURfqmP.jpg

14. Spider-man: Miles Morales

I loved this. It's basically the original Spider-Man with all the fat cut off, and has the added bonus of having a far more interesting cast of characters. I hope we get a lot more Miles in pretty much all Spider-Man media.

It looks and plays incredibly on PS5 - a fantastic demo for the system, and the fact that it now runs at 60fps with Ray Tracing sets an optimistic tone for the generation.

41-E5-FC82-F62-A-4605-8-F77-9-D7-B6-F675

15. Call of the Sea

This is a fairly simple puzzle game with a nice story running through it. It's a little bit rough around the edges, but manages to draw you in nicely, creep you out with the Lovecraftian bits, and make you care about the protagonist's relationship with her husband. You'd be mad not to play it, even if the Series S/X lineup wasn't as bare as it is at the moment. And it looks nice, too.

yXQ1yXL.jpg

Completely failed to post an update for the last half of the year, so here's everything I finished from July onwards:

July:

Wipeout Pulse (PSP)

The Messenger (Xbox One)

Children of Morta (Xbox One)

Carrion (Xbox One)

Huntdown (Xbox One)

Observation (Xbox One)

August:

Silicon Zeroes (PC)

Hotshot Racing (Xbox One)

The Eternal Castle (Switch)

September:

Mutant Year Zero (Xbox One)

Doom 2016 (PC - second time through - played this one back in 2016)

October:

Katamari Reroll (Switch)

Panzer Paladin (Switch)

November:

Star Wars Squadrons (Xbox One)

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS)

December:

Dishonored (Xbox One)

Gears Tactics (PC / Xbox One)

Gears Of War (360 and Xbox One remaster played side by side for... reasons?)

Nowhere Prophet (Xbox One)

Gears 5: Hivebusters DLC (Xbox One)

Obviously not going to try and do my usual writeups for all that lot, so I'll just say Huntdown is a masterpiece, one of the greatest 2D action games ever. Given how many 16-bit / 8-bit action games have come out in recent years it was inevitable that something would be overlooked, but it's a crime worthy of being hunted down by a futuristic bounty hunter and plugged in the head with a silenced pistol that this game came and went without much fanfare. I thought Blazing Chrome was the equal of its inspirations, this is better. I said in the Huntdown thread itself, it somehow encapsulates the entire run and gun genre but ultimately it plays like a perfectly judged cross between Rolling Thunder and Metal Slug. My Game of the Year that actually came out this year.

And my actual Game of the Year is Silicon Zeroes. A Zachtronics style engineering puzzler about designing primitive CPUs. I've never played a game like this before and I'm buzzing from the possibility that it might pale in comparison to its inspirations but is still one of the most amazing games I've ever played. Ultimately I couldn't beat the last few puzzles in the post credits ultra hard unlockable chapter. I stayed up till about 4 in the morning one night trying to crack the second to last puzzle, failed, decided that I was finally done with the game and still went to bed happy.

Silicon Zeroes was in that big Itch racial justice bundle so you might already own it without realising.

Everything I played in 2020 ranked in order (39 games... mostly played at the expense of sleep...):

Spoiler

1. Silicon Zeroes (PC)

2. Huntdown (Xbox One)

3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PC)

4. Dishonored (Xbox One)

5. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Wii U)

6. Doom 2016 (PC)

7. Vanquish (Xbox One)

8. Streets of Rage 4 (Xbox One)

9. Katamari Reroll (Switch)

10. Wipeout Pulse (PSP)

Star Wars Squadrons (Xbox One)

Jedi Fallen Order (Xbox One)

Mutant Year Zero (Xbox One)

Innocence: A Plague Tale (Xbox One)

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS)

Nowhere Prophet (Xbox One)

Gears Tactics (PC / Xbox One)

Nier Automata (Xbox One)

Gears Of War / Gears Of War Remastered (360 / Xbox One)

Gears 5: Hivebusters DLC (Xbox One)

Hotshot Racing (Xbox One)

Steel Empire (Megadrive)

Ace Combat 7 (Xbox One)

The Messenger (Xbox One)

Ridge Racer 3D (3DS)

Gato Roboto (Xbox One)

Untitled Goose Game (Xbox One)

Panzer Paladin (Switch)

Observation (Xbox One)

Children of Morta (Xbox One)

Carrion (Xbox One)

Sea Salt (Xbox One)

Pikuniku (Xbox One)

Max Payne 3 (PC)

The Eternal Castle (Switch)

Outer Worlds (Xbox One)

Westerado: Double Barelled (Xbox One)

Indivisible (Xbox One)

Monument Valley 2 (Android)

And my top 20 since I started keeping track with new entries in green (2017-2020):

Spoiler

1. Zelda: Breath of The Wild (Wii U)

2. Halo: Reach (Xbox One, MCC version) 

3. Halo 3: ODST (Xbox One, MCC version)

4. Super Metroid (SNES Mini)

5. Silicon Zeroes (PC)

6. Huntdown (Xbox One)

7. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PC)

8. Dishonored (Xbox One)

9. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox One, MCC version)

10. Hollow Knight (Xbox One)

11. Fire Emblem Echoes (3DS)

12. Shovel Knight (Wii U)

13. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Wii U) 

14. Celeste (Xbox One)

15. Doom 2016 (PC)

16. Halo 4 (Xbox One, MCC version)

17. Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox via BC) 

18. Tempest 4000 (Xbox One)

19. Ashen (Xbox One)

20. Banner Saga (PC)

GyroBlade - Normal 1cc (6)

Guessing that's the last one for this year unless I get time to pan that nasty dragon at the end of Tengai.

Spoiler

Wolcen (8)

Monolith Relics of the past DLC - Loop 4 (9)
Mushihimesama Futari - Normal 1cc (10)
DoDonPachi - C-L 1cc (10)
Cardinal Sins - Trial 1cc (10)
Darius Gaiden - 1cc (8)
Gunbird - 1cc (7)
ZeroRanger - White Vanilla 1cc (10)
Dezatopia - 1cc (up to and including route L) (9)
Skycat - Expert 1cc (6)
Roundguard (4)
Gunfire Reborn - Elite solo (10)

Super XYX - 1cc, Challenging, Helltiger, TLB (9)

Zenodeath - 1cc, Expert, Wolfgang (No TLB) (9)

Ginga Force - Story Mode, normal (10)

Astral Gunners - 1cc, Normal (early access), Blue (10)

CosmoDreamer - 1cc, Maniac (10)

DANMAKAI: Red Forbidden Fruit - 1cc, Normal (Eldied) (7)

Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire - Normal 1cc (Sonnay) (8)

One new entry, one newly-remembered courtesy of that there end of year Nintendo email:

January:

Tangle Tower - a perfectly enjoyable, extremely compact adventure/puzzle game. Rushes its ending somewhat, and commits the endemic sin of signposting things in such a way that, as the player, you'll realise what's going on long before the characters, but a nice few hours nonetheless.

December:

Airborne Kingdom - a lovely, evocative city builder. Extremely relaxing - too much so, if anything, as I feel the game could have benefited from channelling a little bit of Frostpunk (the only other post-apocalyptic city builder that springs to mind) in terms of spicing things up a little with some actual challenge, and maybe adding a little more of a critical eye to its setting/your role within it. Still, I had a very pleasant seven hours or so getting from start to finish, and designing my beautifully bizarre, eventually self-sufficient, floating broadwalk. Easy to recommend at the £6 you can get it for on the Epic Games Store courtesy of that site's current renewable £10 voucher.

Previously:

Spoiler

On 11/12/2020 at 18:23, Wiper said:

January:

Neo Cab - this was an enjoyable little visual novel. Nice visual style, simple but effective story, solid characterisation. I had a nice time playing through this.

May/June:

Minecraft - inasmuch as you can 'complete' Minecraft, but I went into the multiplayer for the first time ever at the height of the first wave, as a way to stay in touch with friends. We built up our village and infrastructure, got rare resources, made it to the End and defeated the Ender Dragon, so I'll consider this as complete as is possible.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - as above, inasmuch as it can be completed. Another game largely engaged with due to lockdown and wanting to stay in touch with a friend. Fully upgraded house, village packed with villagers I like, everything set up as I want. And then abandoned to ruin, naturally.

September:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - inarguably completed this one - full platinum (not that that's particularly hard, to be honest, given the lack of challenge to the strategy segment of the game). It was decent, if a bit of a missed opportunity.

Hades - perhaps 'complete' isn't quite the right word, but I've completely cleared the game a few tens of times now. There's more story to extract, but it's so drip-fed (and, well, a little predictable for someone with a Classical Civilisation master's degree...) that I think I'm done for now.

October:

The Solitaire Conspiracy - finished the campaign. It was fine.

December:

Persona 5 Royal - Persona 5, but more! Some QOL improvements, but can't fix some of the fundamental issues with the depiction of relationships between characters (still can't quite wrap my head around the bit where the game so thoroughly undermines its own 'abuse of power' message by having the player granted the option to pursue romantic relationships with a variety of adults including their doctor(!) or teacher(!!), or equally to date a severely vulnerable teenager. It's all pretty gross). A shame, because excise those 'features' (and the slightly-tweaked-but-still-shit gay stereotypes on display) and you have an enjoyable JRPG with fun life simulation aspects and a reasonably satisfying conclusion. Even if the new dungeon feels very much bolted on.

I enjoyed myself, and even platinumed the game (not really very hard in this one), but it's very flawed, and overall, even this version of P5 remains weaker than 4 and 3.

Astro's Playroom - finished and platinumed, and a delight from start to finish. Would recommend to anyone with a PS5... not least as everyone with a PS5 owns it by default.

35. Star Wars: Squadrons (PS4/5) - I can't be totally objective about this game as X-Wing Alliance was one of my most formative gaming experiences and I've been eagerly awaiting a follow-up game for 20 years. Truth be told I was expecting to be a bit disappointed. However credit to Motive (and Creative Director Ian Frazier) as you can feel that they are also genuine fans and have poured that into a game which - ultimately by EA standards - is essentially a low-budget experiment of a title. Aesthetically it looks and sounds exactly as you want a Star Wars fighter sim to be, and throws you into the universe from the pilots seat beautifully well. The flight model is also just brilliant fun with a sense of pace, agility and scale when flying near capital ships (I don't think a strafing run on a Star Destroyer will ever feel old). Multiplayer is competitive and hard (in a good way, you have to get good) but perhaps a little limited in its mode options (dogfight or fleet battle). Pleasingly the single player is also better than I expected. You aren't going to get the Ace Azzameen narrative feels from it like Alliance, but it does weave together a decent enough Star Wars tale with some good characters and epic battles over about 10 hours of play. Ultimately it knows what it is and doesn't overreach itself and is the better for it, the net result being (along with Fallen Order) one of the best Star Wars titles for many years. If it makes enough money I have high hopes for a sequel and/or single player Alliance follow-up, but at what is now £20 pretty much everywhere it is an absolute steal of a game if you have ever dreamt of flying an X-Wing. - 8/10

1. Jedi: Fallen Order (XB1) - 10/10

2. Untitled Goose Game (XB1) - 8/10

3. Gorogoa (iPad) - 9/10

4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1) - 8/10

5. Abzû (PS4) - 6/10

6. Braid (XB1/360) - 10/10

7. A Plague Tale: Innocence (XB1) - 8/10

8. Quantum Break (XB1) - 6/10

9. Oxenfree (Mac OS) - 7/10

10. Monument Valley 2 (iPad) -  7/10

11. Sniper Elite 4 (XB1) - 8/10

12. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - 10/10

13. Fractured Minds (XB1) - 5/10

14. The Last Guardian (PS4) - 8/10

15. Journey (PS4) - 10/10

16. God of War [2018] (PS4) - 10/10

17. Superhot (XB1) - 8/10

18. Deliver Us the Moon (XB1) - 7/10

19. Virginia (XB1) - 5/10

20. Journey to the Savage Planet (XB1) - 7/10

21. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XB1) - 8/10

22. Thief [2014] (PS4) - 6/10

23. Tacoma (XB1) - 7/10

24. The Gardens Between (XB1) - 8/10

25. The Talos Principle (XB1) - 7/10

26. Carrion (XB1) - 7/10

27. Tetris Effect: Connected (XB1) - 8/10

28. Journey (PS5) - 10/10

29. Astrobot's Playroom (PS5) - 9/10

30. Bound (PS5) - 5/10

31. Abzu (PS5) - 8/10

32. Ether One (PS5) - 7/10

33. Bugsnax (PS5) - 7/10

34. Demon's Souls (PS5) - 9/10

36. Call of the Sea (XB1) - Puzzle game-cum-walking sim which takes reference points from things like Firewatch, Edith Finch, Rapture, Ether One and even back to classics like Myst. I'm not sure it reaches as high as any of those to be honest but is enjoyable enough if you like these types of game experiences, and a couple of the puzzles were pleasantly challenging. Visually it is pretty striking with an almost cell-shaded aesthetic, however I suffered pretty problematic pop-in and frame rate issues on my OG Xbox One. The plot leans into a Lovecraftian vibe nicely and despite an ending which I wasn't really that satisfied with I did like the overall feel and mythos. However the biggest niggle for me was the voice acting, while not bad line by line, I thought the bounce between shocked/horrified realisations about what was happening one second to really whimsically toned jokes/memories with the next item you pickup made it feel pretty inconsistent. Ultimately I had fun with it and would say it's worth a go on Game Pass, but there are several better games of this style out there if you haven't already played them.  - 6/10

3. Gorogoa (iPad) - 9/10

5. Abzû (PS4) - 6/10

23. Tacoma (XB1) - 7/10

26. Carrion (XB1) - 7/10

30. Bound (PS5) - 5/10

31. Abzu (PS5) - 8/10

33. Bugsnax (PS5) - 7/10

35. Star Wars: Squadrons (PS4/5) - 8/10

Is It Wrong to Try to Shoot 'em Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Normal 1cc (2)

spoiler: Yes, it most certainly is.

Hide contents

Wolcen (8)

Darius Gaiden - 1cc (8)
Gunbird - 1cc (7)
Skycat - Expert 1cc (6)
Roundguard (4)

On 20/12/2020 at 17:08, Pelekophoros said:

01/01: Superhot (XBone)

03/01: Old Man's Journey (XBone)

05/01: The Turing Project (XBone)

19/01: Halo: CE Anniversary (XBone)

01/04: Quantum Break (XBone)

02/04: Halo 2 (Xbone)

04/04: Call Of Duty MW (2019) (XBone)

13/05: Control (PS4)

02/06: Call Of Duty WWII (PS4)

18/06: God of War 2018 (PS4)

26/06: Shadow Of The Colossus (PS4)

05/07: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

06/07: Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

07/07: Universal Paperclip (web)

09/08: Carrion (Xbone)

10/08: Robocop (Arcade)

12/08: Sly Spy Secret Agent (Arcade)

14/08: Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja (Arcade)

16/08: Batman Arkham Knight (PS4)

19/08: Vigilante (Arcade)

20/08: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Campaign Remastered (PS4)

25/08: Glass Masquerade (Switch)

30/08: Erica (PS4)

08/09: Into The Breach (Switch)

12/09: Rastan (Arcade)

19/09: Super Mario Bros (Switch)

24/09: A Short Hike (Switch) 

26/09: Halo 3 (Xbone)

28/09: Halo 3: ODST (XBone)

03/10: Halo: Reach (Xbone)

08/10: Halo 4 (Xbone)

11/10: Aliens (Arcade)

11/10: Halo 5 (XBone)

24/10: Until Dawn (PS4)

02/11: Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (Xbone)

07/11: Man Of Medan (PS4)

08/11: A Way Out (PS4)

20/11: Astrobot's Playroom (PS5)

22/11: ESWAT Cyber Police (Arcade)

23/11: Bugsnax (PS5)

02/12: Spider-man Miles Morales (PS5)

28/12: Watch Dogs Legion (PS5)

Shit story. Shit environments - the city is so underdevelooped compared to both previous outings. Terrible acting. The hacking has been dialled right back. It's a dirty, grimy, depressing game to play. The 'legion' element is toss.

Actively hated it by the final batch of missions. So, so disappointing after the wonderful, varied and exciting Watch Dogs 2. If I were gracious I'd say Covid had impacted it negatively, but I think there are so many things fundamentally wrong with it there's actually shitness hard baked into this.

Previously...

Spoiler

1) AM2R - PC - 2016 (1991)
2) Ecco The Dolphin - Mega CD - 1992/3
3) Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 3DS - 2012/14
4) Mega Man X - SNES - 1993
5) Super Metroid - SNES - 1994
6) Donkey Kong Country - SNES - 1994
7) Chrono Trigger - SNES - 1995
8) Star Fox 2 - SNES - 2017 (1995)
9) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES - 1995
10) Xenogears - PS1 - 1998
11) Sonic the Hedgehog - Megadrive - 1991
12) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - SNES - 1996
13) Kirby Super Star - SNES - 1996
14) Earthbound - SNES - 1995
15) R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 - PS1 - 1998/9
16) Tomb Raider III - PC - 1998
17) Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation - PC - 1999
18) Tomb Raider Chronicles - PC - 2000
19) Shenmue HD - PC - 2018 (1999/2000)
20) Shenmue II HD - PC - 2018 (2001)
21) Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - PS3 - 2012 (2001)
22) Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness - PC - 2003
23) Jak II: Renegade - PS3 - 2012 (2003)
24) Jak 3 - PS3 - 2012 (2004)
25) Tomb Raider: Legend - PC - 2006
26) Tomb Raider: Anniversary - PC - 2007
27) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - PS4 - 2015 (2007)
28) Tomb Raider: Underworld - PC - 2008
29) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice - 3DS - 2016
30) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - PS4 - 2015 (2009)
31) Final Fantasy Adventure - GameBoy - 1991
32) Alpha Protocol - PC - 2010
33) Day of the Tentacle Remastered - Vita - 2016 (1993)
34) Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game - PC - 2011
35) Star Fox 64 3D - 3DS - 2011 (1997)
36) Limbo - PC - 2011 (2010)
37) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS - 2015 (2000)
38) Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - PS4 - 2015 (2011)
39) Super Mario 64 - Switch - 2020 (1996)
40) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Arcade - 1989
41) Alan Wake - PC - 2012 (2010)

42) Warioware Gold - 3DS - 2018

43) Alan Wake's American Nightmare - PC - 2012
44) Super Mario Sunshine - Switch - 2020 (2002)
45) Quantum Conundrum - PC - 2012
46) Super Mario Galaxy - Switch - 2020 (2007)
47) The Last of Us Remastered - PS4 - 2014 (2013)
48) Grand Theft Auto V - PC - 2015 (2013)
49) Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy - 3DS - 2013

50) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Megadrive - 1992

51) Lifeless Planet - PC - 2014

52) Sonic 3 Complete - Megadrive - 2013 (1994)

53) Abzû - PC - 2016

54) Tacoma - PC - 2017

55) Sonic 3D Blast (Director's Cut) - Megadrive - 1996 (2017)

56) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - PS4 - 2016
Completed once on normal difficulty (16 hours).

Having earlier this year gorged myself on the trio of freebies that was The Nathan Drake Collection, I finally put this into my PS4. I don't know if I've just gotten used to the silky 60fps presentation of the previous remastered games, but Uncharted 4 feels jittery, blurry and less responsive in comparison - perhaps I should have waited for the inevitable PS5 remaster!

The generational shift sees more detailed character models and lavish environments, but underneath it all, Uncharted 4 is basically another disposable, linear, third-person shooter. Not that that's a bad thing in this case, and it steps up its game in a number of ways. Drake's moveset gets its biggest overhaul yet, with rope-swinging, mud-sliding, off-road driving and pickaxe-enhanced rock-climbing. The biggest change, however, comes from the new stealth mechanics. I'm normally very wary of stealth being added to an established franchise, but this is one of the better implementations. Coming from The Last of Us, the development team had no trouble implementing a dynamic and free-form stealth system into most combat scenarios, allowing you to play the role of the predator and take enemies out stealthily, while still allowing a full on shoot-out should the need arise. This does mean that, whereas previous games sign-posted upcoming setpieces with the appearance of conveniently-placed chest-high walls, Uncharted 4 presents conveniently-concealing chest-high grass to indicate the arrival of enemies. But the level design in these sections is excellent, and I really enjoyed most of the combat encounters in the game, only finding a few annoying choke points. Far from a lazy rehash, Uncharted 4 feels different, refreshed and confident.

It's a slightly longer game than the others, mostly due to the fact that it has many quiet points, the pacing is slower and it takes a fair while to get going. It doesn't have the breathless pace of, say, Uncharted 2, allowing you to wander, explore, read or just enjoy the quieter cinematic moments and excellent chemistry between the cast. These are likable characters with whom it's just fun to spend time on one last(?) adventure. A fitting send-off for the series and a whole lot of fun wrapped in a glossy blockbuster package.

-------

This will certainly be my last completed game of 2020, a year that saw me complete an unprecedented 56 games, a feat that is unlikely to happen again in any other year for the rest of my life! :lol: I cleared my backlog, played and completed additional freebies and even bought a Switch. Looking ahead at my 'front-log', I would need another two global pandemics to hit to have any chance of getting through them, so I might have to think about cutting out some of the lesser desired games and focusing on the ones that interest me the most. Maybe that'll be my new years' resolution. (That or "4K" - fnarr!)

To finish up, I've also compiled a list of games that I didn't complete this year - either I dabbled for a bit, abandoned or gave up in boredom, or maybe I just haven't finished them yet. But these represent a considerable number of hours in addition to the ones above, so they're going to get a mention too, goddamnit!

Rage Racer (PlayStation 1)
I've always struggled with the older Ridge Racer games (pre-4), but I figured I was probably just doing something wrong. It turns out they're just really hard! Pulling off a successful corner drift in Rage Racer is harder than pulling teeth. One tiny miscalculation when straightening out and you seem to randomly slide all over the road, it's infuriating. I literally could not get past the Class 4 races, no matter how many times I tried, and I started to get really fed up with driving down that same stretch of track over and over again, so I gave up and played some better Ridge Racers instead.

Bushido Blade (PlayStation 1)
I'll be honest, I didn't really know what I was doing with this. It's one of the weirdest fighting games I've ever played. Progress through it seems to hinge on the tiniest things, like if you bow properly before a particular match. And despite reading all the instructions, I couldn't work out how some of the important moves worked... like blocking. A clever game, I'm sure, but a bit baffling overall!

Ecco: The Tides of Time (Mega CD)
I don't know why I thought the sequel to Ecco the Dolphin would be any better; I suppose I figured the developers had learned a few lessons from the first one. Three levels in, and it was quite clear they had learned bugger all. All the same issues arose and it was just as frustrating to play - worse even, as the MCD port of the sequel didn't have the improved sound effects of the first, so I have to put up with horrible squeaky noises when you collide with walls and whatnot. I wasn't prepared to put myself through that again just to find out what happens to some dolphins in the future.

Earthworm Jim (Megadrive)
I don't remember exactly why I wanted to play this, I think I was just going through a retro phase due to those mini consoles being released. Anyway, I enjoyed the cartoon show when I was younger and I thought this might be enjoyable too. Although it has excellent presentation, animation and humour, as an actual game experience, it is very imprecise with unclear platform edges, woolly collision detection, and not much fun. I didn't play beyond the first level.

Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
I blamed my HDTV lag on not being able to get very far in the Wii game a few years back. But even with an HDMI SNES Mini hooked up to a PC monitor, I couldn't beat the Major League in Super Punch-Out!! either, so it turns out I'm just not very good at Punch-Out games. I can only blame my aging reflexes this time. :lol: 

Brave Fencer Musashi (PlayStation 1)
Around the time the PS Classic Mini was released (and roundly criticised for poor emulation), 'mukkers in the Retro folder were putting together lists of their favourite PS1 games. I'd seen this one crop up a few times, so I whacked it on my Vita and gave it a go. I don't know what I expected, but a sluggish 3D Zelda-type game with cringeworthy characters was not it. The dialogue was like the worst of Saturday morning cartoon shows, and after little more than an hour, I had had enough.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PlayStation 1 and Dreamcast)
I've tried many times to get into this game, and I always give up on it after being initially impressed. Loading it onto my Vita, I got as far as the first boss and the bloody thing corrupted or the emulation went weird and Raziel was covered in textures that looked like TV static. I thought Vita emulation of PS1 games was nigh-on perfect, so I was very surprised to see this happen. I then tried running the Dreamcast version on my PC (via ReDream), which worked quite well up until around the second boss, but then the emulator began stuttering as the levels tried to load, and at this point I realised I would never complete this game and should probably leave the franchise alone forever.

Final Fantasy XI Online (PC)
Yes, the MMORPG. Yes it still works in 2020. It's weird to think of this one as abandoned or unfinished given I poured nearly seventy hours into it, got about half-way through my home city's missions, reached level 50 and finished a 14-day trial. But this is exactly when the game's bullshit levels reached new heights and I had to step away from it for good. It's so tedious, slow and boring, so when you have to do fetch quests to lift your level cap, I had just had enough. I imagine this was an exciting game back in the day, but I barely enjoyed a single moment of my time with it. Absolute anti-fun. (See the Retro folder for more specific ranting!)

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut (PC)
Not so much riffing off of Twin Peaks as begging for a lawsuit. This was one of those "so bad it's good" games from the 360 era, where off-the-wall and quirky games were savoured for offering something different from the slew of homogenous testosterone bro-shooters. I played this shortly after Alpha Protocol, which I really liked. Unfortunately, Deadly Premonition is so bad that it's bad. It looks and plays like a clunky PS2-era game that's had some next-gen shinies vomited all over it. The survival/combat sections and level design are repetitive, while the free-roaming adventure gameplay is tediously slow. Finally, it crashed several times during play, either because the PC port is poorly made or due to the patches I had to apply to make it not suck so much. Either way, I don't care. I appreciated the wackiness, but I don't actually want to play it.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut (PC)
I played this for around 4 hours, getting as far as trying to break into the police station before deciding that the default stealth mechanics were shit and replaying the same section over and over again was too boring to be worthwhile. I'm sure the adventures of Gruff McRobotarms would have turned out to be as thrilling as the dialogue was subtle, but at some point, I will have to accept that I just don't like Deus Ex games. I tried, I really did.

Patapon (PSP)
A rhythmic god game, with a cute style and foot-tappingly catchy drum beats. Tap out the correct sequence to make your little army of eyeballs march, attack or defend. It's a nice idea, but it wears thin very quickly. The simplistic gameplay and repetition bored me, so I never finished it. Pon-pon-patta-pon, indeed.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
This is a great way to spend a small amount of time every single day. It does mean that it takes about a year to complete it, and given I didn't start 'til around September/October, it's gonna be a while before I can safely call it finished. At least let me reach my birthday!

Overcooked (PC)
Still playing this occasionally in co-op. Limit to short sessions, lest it damage spousal relationships! :lol:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch)
I reckon I'll have this done by January. Save it for 2021's list.

That's all, folks! Thanks for sticking with me. All mini reviews are linked-to in the spoiler above. I'll never play this many games in one year ever again, but see you in next year's topic anyway!

My last update then before this year is done.

Previous post

Spoiler

Dragon Quest XI (PS4)

It's generic, yes it looks & plays well but offers nothing new to the JRPG experience 7/10

Death Stranding (PS4)

Definitely a marmite game, yes the cut scenes went on far too long at times but it's Kojima what else did you expect? I loved it 9/10

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (PS4)

At times a bit janky but the combat was fun even if the story was forgetful 7/10

It's Quiz Time (PS4)

Fun local co-op game to play with the kids 6/10

Mario Tennis (Switch)

ChimParty (PS4)

The Outer Worlds (PS4)

Started off ok but towards the end, I got bored of the side quests and just played the main campaign 7/10

Concrete Genie (PS4)

A nice short game that has you painting a town with graffiti to bring it back to life & a decent story about bullying 8/10

The Last of Us 2 (PS4)

Extremely violent at times but the production values are excellent 9/10

Animal Crossing (Switch)

I think this is the first time I have ever played an Animal Crossing game, after 70 odd hours I got bored but it was still fun to play 8/10

Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4)

Ignore the side quests and just stick with the main campaign for a decent JRPG remake 8/10

Erica (PS4)

An interactive film where you get to choose certain paths 6/10

Beyond Two Souls (PS4)

This had me gripped & I can't believe I have not played it on release 8/10

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS4)

Can't say no to more Star Wars (I only played the campaign) 6/10

Entwined (PS4)

Nice short Journey-esque music game where you control two creatures through various levels one with each controller stick. 7/10

Sniper Elite 4 (PS4)

Zoom, pew pew. I have gotten it out of my system now don't need to play another for a while 6/10

Sayonara Wild Hearts (PS4)

It's a short experience just over an hour to play through this musical album. Gameplay has different sections on endless running, shooting, flying & driving. There is a score challenge to get gold rank on the stages which is very difficult to do on the first attempt but can be achieved with multiple playthroughs. 7/10

Need for Speed Payback (PS4)

This scratched my racing game itch I have had the whole generation 7/10

Ghost of Tsushima (PS5)

I've waited to play this on the PS5 it is everything I wished it would be and more! I'm glad someone else best Ubisoft to create a samurai open-world game. This is my game of the year. 10/10

The Last Campfire (PS5)

Lovely little indie puzzle game by Hello Games 7/10

Astro’s Playroom (PS5)

Great introduction to the PS5 console & controller, a love-letter to Playstation gaming 9/10

Desperados 3 (PS5)

Strategy games do work on a console if developers can figure out the control scheme. Mimimi Games did just that with this great western real-time strategy title 9/10

I'm trying something new with my completed games in making a quick review. Video in spoiler below, please be gentle It's my first attempt.

Spoiler

Happy new year everyone and I'm going to start by playing Lost Sphear (a JRPG by Tokyo RPG Factory.

Glass Masquerade 2 (Switch)

This is probably my last game of the year. Some have said it's not as good as the first but I enjoyed it equally (although admittedly the UI is more cluttered and busy in this one). These games are the ultimate chill out, mindfulness pastimes and at around £3 for both they've served me well. I hope they bring out some more in the future.

My full list for the year is 29 games which may be a record for me.

Spoiler

Guacamelee Jan 7/10

Detroit: Become Human Feb 4/10

Days Gone March 9/10

Dark Souls March 8/10

Dead Cells May 8/10

Arizona Sunshine May 4/10

Blasphemous May 7/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 May 6/10

Moss May 6/10

Cuphead June 10/10

Journey to the Savage Planet June 7/10

Rive June 7/10

Titanfall 2 June 8/10

The Last of us Remastered July 8/10

Spider-Man Sept 8/10

Glass Masquerade 1 Sept 7/10

Pro Putt Golf Oct 7/10

NFS: Payback Nov 8/10

Shadowpoint Nov 8/10

Assassins Creed Origins Nov 8/10

Onward Nov 6/10

Population: One Nov 9/10

Snooker 19 Nov 6/10

Slay the Spire Nov 8/10

Stories Untold Nov 5/10

Enchanting Mahjong Match Dec 7/10

Wreckfest Dec 8/10

Death Stranding Dec 7/10

Glass Masquerade 2 Dec 7/10

I should add that I completed 3 of the hardest games I've ever experienced in Blasphemous, Cuphead and Dark Souls. The last boss in Blasphemous took me three days! So in these times of empathy and kindness I'm giving myself a big pat on the back.

Just now, Mawdlin said:

Glass Masquerade 2 (Switch)

This is probably going to be my last of the year. Some have said it's not as good as the first but I enjoyed it equally (although admittedly the UI is more cluttered and busy in this one). These games are the ultimate chill out, mindfulness pastimes and at around £3 for both they've served me well. I hope they bring out some more in the future.

My full list for the year is 28 games which may be a record for me.

Reveal hidden contents

Guacamelee Jan 7/10

Detroit: Become Human Feb 4/10

Days Gone March 9/10

Dark Souls March 8/10

Dead Cells May 8/10

Arizona Sunshine May 4/10

Blasphemous May 7/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 May 5/10

Moss May 6/10

Cuphead June 10/10

Journey to the Savage Planet June 7/10

Rive June 7/10

Titanfall 2 June 8/10

The Last of us Remastered July 8/10

Spider-Man Sept 8/10

Glass Masquerade 1 Sept 7/10

Pro Putt Golf Oct 7/10

NFS: Payback Nov 8/10

Shadowpoint Nov 8/10

Assassins Creed Origins Nov 8/10

Onward Nov 6/10

Population: One Nov 9/10

Snooker 19 Nov 6/10

Slay the Spire Nov 8/10

Stories Untold Nov 5/10

Enchanting Mahjong Match Dec 7/10

Wreckfest Dec 8/10

Glass Masquerade 2 Dec 7/10

Loved it although was disappointed that almost all of the puzzles were circular which made it feel more samey than the original.

Teslapunk - Advanced 1cc (10)

Spoiler

Wolcen (8)

Darius Gaiden - 1cc (8)
Gunbird - 1cc (7)
Skycat - Expert 1cc (6)
Roundguard (4)

Is It Wrong to Try to Shoot 'em Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Normal 1cc (2)

Well despite my best efforts I'm not going to get my current game finished before the bells chime so it looks like I'm signing off 2020 with 36 games finished. That is still frankly amazing given in 2019 I finished literally 4 games and I've had the pleasure of playing some absolute bangers this time around.

A quick round-up from me...

2020 completed game of the year 

Jedi: Fallen Order - This was my Boxing Day purchase last year - and my first completion of 2020 - and I absolutely adored it. It's far from perfect in several departments being objective, but the fusion of soulsborne-lite combat/loop with Uncharted style platforming, all wrapped up in some of the best Star Wars atmosphere for years created a package that landed in exactly the right form at exactly the right time to push all of my buttons. Added to that BD-1 being one of the best ever sidekicks ever (so much so I built my own lego version of him) gave it a charm that outweighed the slightly wooden lead character and saw it also become my first platinum trophy of the year too. It also marked the first step in a resurgence of my love for Star Wars being followed up by the excellent The Mandalorian and Squadrons. All in all - for me - it was just a brilliant brilliant experience and I can't wait for a sequel.

Games still in progress

• Uncharted 4
  • Forza Horizon 4

Games abandoned

• Subnautica (due to performance issues killing the enjoyment for me after about 40 hours of effort)

I have really enjoyed keeping track of my gaming over the year in this thread and will continue to do so should there be one for 2021. Thanks for all the likes.

Have a great New Year all, stay safe.

3. Gorogoa (iPad) - 9/10

5. Abzû (PS4) - 6/10

23. Tacoma (XB1) - 7/10

26. Carrion (XB1) - 7/10

30. Bound (PS5) - 5/10

31. Abzu (PS5) - 8/10

33. Bugsnax (PS5) - 7/10

35. Star Wars: Squadrons (PS4/5) - 8/10

36. Call of the Sea (XB1) - 6/10

40 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Well despite my best efforts I'm not going to get my current game finished before the bells chime so it looks like I'm signing off 2020 with 36 games finished. That is still frankly amazing given in 2019 I finished literally 4 games and I've had the pleasure of playing some absolute bangers this time around.

A quick round-up from me...

2020 completed game of the year 

Jedi: Fallen Order - This was my Boxing Day purchase last year - and my first completion of 2020 - and I absolutely adored it. It's far from perfect in several departments being objective, but the fusion of soulsborne-lite combat/loop with Uncharted style platforming, all wrapped up in some of the best Star Wars atmosphere for years created a package that landed in exactly the right form at exactly the right time to push all of my buttons. Added to that BD-1 being one of the best ever sidekicks ever (so much so I built my own lego version of him) gave it a charm that outweighed the slightly wooden lead character and saw it also become my first platinum trophy of the year too. It also marked the first step in a resurgence of my love for Star Wars being followed up by the excellent The Mandalorian and Squadrons. All in all - for me - it was just a brilliant brilliant experience and I can't wait for a sequel.

Games still in progress

• Uncharted 4
  • Forza Horizon 4

Games abandoned

• Subnautica (due to performance issues killing the enjoyment for me)

I have really enjoyed keeping track of my gaming over the year in this thread and will continue to do so should there be one for 2021. Thanks for all the likes.

Have a great New Year all, stay safe.

There will definitely be one, @Unofficial Who usually kicks it off :)

I love this thread and do find that this thread helps me complete more games, because it's the only place I get to write some thoughts down. That's especially true as I never play things when they come out, I'm usually at least 1/2 years late, so any discussion is usually long-gone (unless it's a behemoth of a game, but I don't tend to like most of the forum favourites).

This year's tally is a record for me - it's the most games I've ever completed a year in my whole life too, so I'm happy about that and I have that little urge to better it in 2021, though with things in my job ramping up I'm not sure that'll happen. Still, shoot for the moon and all that!

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

There will definitely be one, @Unofficial Who usually kicks it off :)

2 hours ago, Welrain said:

@Unofficial Who time to start 2021?

Steady on, it's only 2.41am here right now! I'll have on up and running in the next couple of hours. Hades has prevented me from completing any more games this month however currently suffering from insomnia so I'm doing a replay of Tales from Off Peak City Vol 1 which I stupidly left off my game of the year votes. The creator has added a whole lot of new content and polished it up a bit so I'm seeing in the new year with something good.

Edit, it's here at https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/319796-what-games-did-you-complete-2021-edition/

31/12/2020 - Another Lost Phone (PC)

I completed the first game in this little series back in June (though was blind to it and just spent 5 minutes going back over previous threads to see which year I played it, d'oh!) and really liked the concept - try to unravel what has happened to a character whose phone you have found. It follows the same process as before - scour through text messages, emails, social media to get clues on how to decipher passwords etc. It's a really nice, comforting little loop that can be done in no time at all and things feel fairly organic in how you find them.

The downside - but this is really just a minor thing - is that it follows the first game a bit too closely, though it still weaves an interesting little tale.

There's not a great deal to add to that, really; there's something quite compelling about getting this window into another's life, even when you're just reading about characters meeting at a café. Compared to my first experience of the genre - Simulacra - this just felt far more believable (even ignoring the premise of Simulacra, the conversations you read there just didn't feel natural at all - though the idea of responding to messages as they came in was a nice mechanic.)

Anyway, does anybody have any recommendations for other games in this style? I got the massive itch.io bundle (which is where this and the first game came from) so if there are any in there, please let me know!

Previously completed:

Spoiler

04/12/2020 - Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 (PS2)

06/11/2020 - X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse (PS2)

23/10/2020 - Ember (PC)

13/10/2020 - Midas Gold Plus (PC)

30/09/2020 - Hellenica (PC)

23/09/2020 - One Night Stand (PC)

19/09/2020 - Blackguards 2 (PC)

16/09/2020 - Destiny 2 (PC)

02/09/2020 - Combatribes (Arcade)

18/08/2020 - South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC)

16/08/2020 - Marvel's Avengers Beta (PC)

15/08/2020 - Deliver Us The Moon (PC)

06/08/2020 - Bombshell (PC)

01/08/2020 - World War Z (PC)

01/08/2020 - For Honor (PC)

30/07/2020 - Soda Dungeon 2 (PC)

17/07/2020 - Swords & Souls: Neverseen (PC)

05/07/2020 - Hellpoint: The Thespian Feast (PC)

04/07/2020 - A Short Hike (PC)

22/06/2020 - Late Shift (PC)

22/06/2020 - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC)

21/06/2020 - Final Fantasy XV (PC)

14/06/2020 - Bright Memory (PC)

11/06/2020 - A Normal Lost Phone (PC)

09/06/2020 - The Outer Worlds (PC)

07/06/2020 - Sin Slayers: The First Sin (PC)

26/05/2020 - Astrologlaster (PC)

25/05/2020 - Demon Stone (PC)

23/05/2020 - Stories Untold (PC)

03/05/2020 - Streets of Rage 4 (PC)

29/04/2020 - Inside (PC)

21/04/2020 - Call of Duty WW2 (PC)

19/04/2020 - Wheels of Aurelia (PC)

15/04/2020 - Sword Omen: Legacy (PC)

02/04/2020 - Mother Russia Bleeds (PC)

29/03/2020 - Operencia - The Stolen Sun (PC)

20/02/2020 - Ruzar: The Life Stone (PC)

20/02/2020 - Alder's Blood: Prologue (PC)

17/02/2020 - Universal Paperclips (PC)

15/02/2020 - Gris (PC)

21/01/2020 - Gears of War 5 (Xbox One X)

19/01/2020 - Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls (Xbox One X)

05/01/2020 - Night Call (PC)

02/01/2020 - Remember Me (PC)

On a separate note, having just gone through a few of the previous threads, it's really nice to see that this year - by quite a bit - has had the most responses in it. I appreciate the unique situation of this year has meant more gaming for many, but hopefully people will continue to engage going into 2021 and beyond, because it's just feels like a nice community sharing.

Basically, I love you guys :wub:

Tetris Effect

Last one for 2020, finished it about a week ago (by 'finished' I mean Journey mode on Expert). I really enjoyed this, first of all as a chill out music experience, then on Expert as a hyper-addictive exercise in skilling myself up to cope with faster and faster speeds. I spent ages trying to beat the last level (Metamorphosis) on Normal, those last 30 lines at speed 13 feeling impossible.

Then, of course, on Expert you're regularly coping with speed 13 and above, and the game becomes about controlling the shape of the stack so that awkward shapes like squares don't get stuck in awkward places as they essentially appear directly on top of the pile with no time to nudge them left and right. You eventually need to get used to both clockwise and counterclockwise rotation to 'roll' the pieces into place before they lock, which is a new way to play for someone like me, who last played Tetris on the Gameboy. I raised both arms aloft in a silent display of victory when I finally beat Metamorphosis on Expert.

I've not got into the high score modes and I've only ever done one intentional 't-spin', so there is a long way to go!

I never really understood the long-term appeal of Tetris. Now I do. I can see me returning to this regularly.

Final tally for 2020 - almost certainly the most games I've ever completed in a year! In previous years I usually get consumed by some behemoth or service game for months at a time. Thank you to Game Pass, Microsoft Rewards and Covid-19 for making this possible. 

1. Jedi Fallen Order

2. COD Modern Warfare

3. Outer Wilds

4. Dishonored 2

5. Trials HD

6. Trials Rising

7. Streets of Rage 4

8 The Last of Us pt 2

9 Forza Horizon 4

10 The Division 2

11 Hitman 2

12 Prey